The French Gourmet
960 Turquoise Street
San Diego, CA 92109Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
The French Gourmet
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thefrenchgourmet.com/
- Phone: 8584881725x316
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast and Lunch: Daily: 8:00am -3:00pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 4:00 - 9:00pm (Closed Monday nights)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Fusion / Eclectic, French
- Executive Chef: Michel Malecot
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Also a versatile San Diego catering company, our products are all prepared fresh daily on the premises. The dishes conjured up in our kitchen reflect a commitment to originality, freshness and the celebration of taste. Our knowledgeable sales team will work with you to create a menu and style that will compliment your event and your budget. As a local catering company, we can provide you with china, glassware, place settings, equipment rentals, servers and bartenders, and much more.
- Private Party Facilities: Our restaurant is available for private parties on Sunday and Monday evenings. We host large parties all the time in our restaurant even during regular service. Custom menus available. Consider us for your bridal shower, office holiday party or organization's meeting spot!
- Private Party Contact: Michel Malecot 8779263990
A word from The French Gourmet
Our restaurant serves California-influenced French cuisine in a quaint countryside environment. We are a long-time favorite of locals who appreciate the value of the menu and our extensive wine list. After three decades of serving our clients, it is as much an honor and a privilege, as it is a reassurance to know, that while culinary trends come and go, appreciation and dedication to quality endure.Continued
Breakfast and Lunch served daily; Dinner Tues-Sat.
Breakfast and Lunch served daily; Dinner Tues-Sat.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The French Gourmet reviews from OpenTable diners
51 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (28)neighborhood gem (27)special occasion (20)romantic (16)great for lunch (12)notable wine list (9)good for groups (7)great for brunch (4)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- What a gem!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/14/2013Everything was exceptional; food, staff, establishmenr. Very reasonable prices. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was good and well presented.pup1VIPDined on 11/22/2013Food was good and well presented. Stephan, the waiter, was most friendly and welcoming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really Good FoodSnowbirdVIPDined on 11/21/2013We had the price fixe which allowed us to order anything on the menu. Everything was beautifully prepared and the portions were large.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We eat often at the FrenchGourmetjac75VIPDined on 11/20/2013We eat often at the FrenchGourmet and find the food, service and price very good. The management is very helpful and keep the restaurant as a super place to go with friends for a pleasant dining experienceSpecial Features:
- a wonderful mealHollyHandsDined on 10/26/2013We had a BRILLIANT TIME! Food was spectacular. Walla Walla Washington Merlot went super great with our beef entrees! Wait service was entertaining, funny and attentive but not hovering. Thanks we will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice for a quiet weekend breakfastzipporahVIPDined on 10/19/2013We usually go to places a little further south in PB for breakfast and they tend to be very busy and very loud. The French Gourmet was a nice change! The service and food were both very good and the pastries (which we managed to resist this time around) looked delicious and they certainly did a brisk business of people coming in just to purchase from the pastry counter. Will have to try some next time! I also really like that both the breakfast and lunch menus are available simultaneously, as I'm not much of a breakfast food person, whereas my spouse loves breakfast and will order it for lunch. Offering both together makes our lives easier.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As always good foodmarkVIPDined on 10/7/2013Nice menu with well prepared food. We went for lunch but a few members of our party had breakfast which really gave great variety to the menu. Service was good though as the restaurant is small it can get a bit noisy.Special Features:
- Definitely a neighborhood gemDiningoutVIPDined on 10/5/2013Wasn't expecting much after looking at the menu, but wow, what we had was delicious and nicely presented. The portions were generous and not the small portions you get would expect at most restaurants. We ordered the fixe prix menu that was only $45 per person.....very reasonable. We had so much food we could barely take in the dessert which we ended up sharing instead of having our own portions. Service was great! We were visiting from out of town. Wish we had a French Gourmet near us. Their bakery display looked delectable. We bought a loaf of their blueberry bread to take back to our hotel. I'll bet their brunch is wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellence!paulDined on 10/4/2013From the moment one walks in the door until ones exit....Excellence!Special Features:
- Quaint and DeliciousYummy123Dined on 9/26/2013The French Gourmet is a hidden gem. Food is outstanding! It is actually a small bakery with a small dining which is perfect! It is not your urban modern chic restaurants but it is quaint and has character! The veal was amazing! And I got to try the escargot! Truly authentic French cuisine. Would def come back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always excellent French foodpetleopardDined on 9/22/2013We had a wonderful time at this neighborhood gem at the edge of Pacific Beach. The food is excellent, the service is attentive without being overwhelming, and it's always a good time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious & Quaint!!DinerdelightVIPDined on 9/22/2013This was my first time and very impressed! Delicious food however Charles & staff were wonderful & made the dining experience perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Met my expectationschocol8luvrDined on 9/22/2013It has been years since I've dined here, but the fresh baguette and delicious lunch was just as I remembered! Desserts and pastries to take home are a must!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Do not go during Restaurant Week!SmartiDined on 9/20/2013I'm giving them the benefit of a doubt as we went for SDRW. The menu sounded great and got us to go. we walked in 6 minutes after our reservation time then stood around for 4-5 mins until someone noticed us. upon giving our name, the guy said oh you're late, huh? I bit my tongue & refrained from stating we were ignored for almost as long as we were late! the tables are so close together it's impossible to have any conversation without feeling like you're disturbing your neighbors. then the same guy was seating another table and promptly let them know they had to finish within an hour as he had a 6-top coming and needed their table! Really?!?! the food was good enough I might give them another try but my husband refuses to go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tables too closecbethhathDined on 9/19/2013I have eaten here a few times, love the food, but the place is just too small. Unless you get a booth, you will be almost touching elbows with your neighbors.Special Features:
- Another great dinnerKtravelerDined on 9/18/2013Went during restaurant week and although very crowded, food and service was very good! Wine list excellent and relatively reasonable as usual. The only disappointment was that the sommelier, Michael, is no longer there - he was just excellent! Will definitely visit when in the area again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't order wine by the glasslanriVIPDined on 9/16/2013We found the atmosphere unpretentious and cozy, the service friendly and efficient, and the traditional French fare quite tasty, well prepared, and amply proportioned. Overall, a very satisfying meal for the price and a nice experience -- with one glaring exception: the smallest wine pours I have ever experienced when ordering wine by the glass. My $10 glass of Pouilly-Fuisse could not have been more than 3 ounces -- disappointing and unacceptably expensive for what it was. While we will likely go back to the restaurant (because of it's good food and attractive menu pricing), if we want wine we will know to either order a full bottle or bring our own and pay corkage.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Diamond in the Rough...GregDined on 9/16/2013We never would have experienced this restaurant unless this was advertised for Restaurant Week. Great find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placemrnavinoDined on 9/16/2013We went here for Restaurant Week and it was definitely a great experience. Servers were friendly. Food came out quickly and was deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always good to have a comboDaringDinerDined on 9/15/2013Always good to have a combo French bakery and restaurant. It means their bread is fresh and delicious as are their desserts. The food was flavorful and they even had frog legs!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Bakery But Meat UnderdoneOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/15/2013Everything was very enjoyable except the duck and veal were underdone. Service and atmosphere were fine. The menu was varied and inviting. The desserts were special treats.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food. Service staffVic70Dined on 9/15/2013Great food. Service staff were all very nice. Food was excellent.Special Features:
- cute authentic french place!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/15/2013Loved it! People were great. Very cute ambiance with a bakery. Came for restaurant week but would totally go back for brunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- halibut unacceptablecindiesueVIPDined on 9/12/2013We love our neighborhood French Goumet Restaurant. We always bring guests with us visiting from out of the state or country. We have never had a bad meal until this week. Three out of 4 of us ordered the halibut, which was the special of the day. When we were told the fish was mush vs flakey (as if was frozen for 2 years) we were told that the chef said, "Yes, it's not too good". They did not offer an adjustment on our bill or anything. My question, if the chef knew it was not suitable, why did he offer it on the menu. We were so disappointed in our French Gourmet. We will continue to visit this restaurant, but will stick to the wonderful duck!!!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, service a bit offOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/5/2013We selected The French Gourmet because of wonderful experiences before. The food was consistently superb, but the service was a bit off this time. We all ordered the filet mignon, but cooked to different degrees, with different potatoes, and the server mixed up the orders. We didn't notice until well into the filets that each of us had the wrong serving. We attempted to adjust, which added to the confusion. I asked for additional Bearnaise sauce, but it took a long time to get the waiter's attention, and then he never did bring it: I had to flag down the server after another wait and ask again. The waiter made up for the mix-up by comping us each a glass of champagne, along with the great desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- French like it should be!TonyDined on 8/23/2013This little bakery and restaurant is great. The food was excelant. I almost thought I was back in France. The service was like what I got over there many years ago. Well done!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Have already been back forPamelaDined on 8/21/2013Have already been back for a second visit!!! French bakery attached. Very popular caterer in San Diego.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great disappointmentsFoodcritiqueDined on 8/16/2013I looked at several restaurant menus near La Jolla and decided to try this small French restaurant . The fact that the ambience was as if one was in France at a restaurant that the locals would go to was encouraging. The menu gave us the impression that I had made the right choice. Unfortunately that is where the experience went downhill. The special for the day - the halibut - was ovecooked, mushy and tasteless. The dessert - a mango coconut cake was dry. What a disappointment! Perhaps the rest of the menu is better. There are enough really good restaurants at the price range of this restaurant in San Diego, that I doubt I will return.
- Our guests were in France!cindiesueVIPDined on 8/14/2013Such a memorablel evening. we had a lovely evening, not rushed and shared great french wine and a French staff. Unforgettable
- Minimal service slowOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/6/2013Food excellent but too few staff to handle the dining room. Very long evening. Had to spend too much time asking for water refills, just spotty service. Check was wrong so extra wait for correction.Special Features:
- Fabulous French foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/24/2013We first met The French Gourmet as a catering company, and hired them to cater one of our anniversaries many years ago. Only in the last two years did we discover their restaurant, with wonderful French cuisine amid a casual atmosphere, along with a bakery so tempting with delights that we hardly dare to look at it. This time, for my birthday, I had my perpetual favorite, a filet mignon, done just the way I like it: medium well, with the cheese potatoes, ending with a chocolate birthday cake complete with a candle, and accompanied by a delightful flute of champagne.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DownhillOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 7/14/2013Neighborhood bistro that used to be pleasant for breakfast and an occasional dinner, now with disgracefully and annoyingly slow slow service (understaffed) . Badly prepared food (possibly prefrozen). I had a creme brulee that was less tasty than a school cafeteria vanilla pudding. Short ribs that I had were badly overcooked and dry. Never again!!
- Good food!PhilsterVIPDined on 7/12/2013Food was excellent, service as well. No wheelchair access, parking can be difficult.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cynthia MartincindiesueVIPDined on 7/10/2013Don't tell anyone about this place. We want to keep it a secret. We're going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cozy and deliciousLucyDined on 7/7/2013Fresh, delicious gourmet meal. French Gourmet is famous for their deserts and those didn't disappoint but we were so full by then, we couldn't finish them. The 3-course meal selections change daily. The appetizers were so-so. The mail course (both filet mignon and sea bass) was incredible. Not a huge portion but plenty. We loved it. Very nice, cozy,quiet place. Good service. Excellent for romantic dinner or a business meeting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- french restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/21/2013Have been to this restaurant several times, and always have had a great experience. Good food and great serviceSpecial Features:
- The food and service wereMunchVIPDined on 5/18/2013The food and service were excellent!! They have a wonderful prix fix dinner deal that is really a bargain for the quality of food served. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WOW!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/18/2013I have frequented this establishment twice for brunch in the past few months and our experience was spectacular each time. The portions are perfect and the food is tasty. If you are looking for a one of a kind experience, with friendly professional service, this is the spot. Thank you to the staff for enhancing the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would love this place exceptLove2eatVIPDined on 5/11/2013Would love this place except it was very loud. Hard to have a romantic dinner when you are having trouble hearing each other. We will try again. There was a large party making most of the noise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great place-- very cozy, wonderfulCharlieVIPDined on 4/12/2013great place-- very cozy, wonderful service, and nice varied menu mSpecial Features: