The French Gourmet
960 Turquoise Street
San Diego, CA 92109Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
The French Gourmet
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thefrenchgourmet.com/
- Phone: 8584881725x316
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast and Lunch: Daily: 8:00am -3:00pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 4:00 - 9:00pm (Closed Monday nights)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Fusion / Eclectic, French
- Executive Chef: Michel Malecot
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Also a versatile San Diego catering company, our products are all prepared fresh daily on the premises. The dishes conjured up in our kitchen reflect a commitment to originality, freshness and the celebration of taste. Our knowledgeable sales team will work with you to create a menu and style that will compliment your event and your budget. As a local catering company, we can provide you with china, glassware, place settings, equipment rentals, servers and bartenders, and much more.
- Private Party Facilities: Our restaurant is available for private parties on Sunday and Monday evenings. We host large parties all the time in our restaurant even during regular service. Custom menus available. Consider us for your bridal shower, office holiday party or organization's meeting spot!
- Private Party Contact: Michel Malecot 8779263990
A word from The French Gourmet
Our restaurant serves California-influenced French cuisine in a quaint countryside environment. We are a long-time favorite of locals who appreciate the value of the menu and our extensive wine list. After three decades of serving our clients, it is as much an honor and a privilege, as it is a reassurance to know, that while culinary trends come and go, appreciation and dedication to quality endure.Continued
Breakfast and Lunch served daily; Dinner Tues-Sat.
Breakfast and Lunch served daily; Dinner Tues-Sat.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The French Gourmet reviews from OpenTable diners
37 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (20)neighborhood gem (19)special occasion (18)romantic (14)great for brunch (8)great for lunch (8)notable wine list (7)good for groups (5)kid-friendly (4)Show More
- My dad and I had a very niceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/8/2014My dad and I had a very nice dinner last night - excellent food and service, and the prix fixe dinner is a terrific deal. My salmon with bearnaise sauce was delicious - so was my beet salad - my dad loved his short ribs. We will be back!Special Features:
- DeliciousBeerDined on 2/7/2014Took my wife here for an early valentines day to beat the reservation fiasco and overpricing. We were seated shortly after arriving. The wait staff looked a bit understaffed when we arrived (1 guy for all tables) but during our meal, another waiter appeared and assisted when the place got busy. The food was very good and priced very reasonably, which was extra nice considering we're poor due to children siphoning our money and sanity. My wife noted that the french onion soup was amazing. She has not been able to find a french onion soup that beats what we had at the intercontinental hotel in Paris, until that night. Definitely recommend the place. The food is very, very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very friendly atmosphere andbennyd43Dined on 1/31/2014very friendly atmosphere and good service,the food was very good,I had the flat iron stake just perfectly cooked med/well. Must caution you, make reservation if possible, seating is limited . would recommend this restaurant anytime, I give it 5 stars.Special Features:
- always great experiencesangelDined on 1/30/2014we love this restaurant, they are always very sweet regarding any request we have. We have been going to this place from we were dating, to our engagement, our wedding (they made our wedding cake, which is wonderful!) and now we have a baby. This restaurant has a special spot in our life! The wines are great (though my husband always did the ordering). They have very good French reds. The food has never failed us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not QuiteSargeDined on 1/30/2014We found the restaurant through San Diego Restaurant Week. Based on the offerings, we were really looking forward to the meal. Unfortunately the reality did not quite live up to the expectation. It started out great with the crusty French bread and excellent appetizers -- escargot were wonderful, the onion soup tasty, and pate' tray delicious. There were issues with each of the main courses: the beef cheeks were very well done, but the risotto was not, the beef Wellington was less than spectacular, and the scallops were very forgetful. The desserts were equally disappointing. The cake in the baked Alaska had little flavor (it was supposed to have an orange taste), the Napoleon was tasty enough, but the pastry was very tough.Special Features:
- Service was very good andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/30/2014Service was very good and food was great. The waiter remembered me from the last Restaurant Week and where we sat! I like the fact that they offer different vegetable and sides that other places do not. When I was in Palm Springs last time we ate at Melvins, the veggies were steamed with no seasoning or special preparation. Although their prices were high. I appreciate a place that makes the sides as important as the main course!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We went to the French gourmetOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/29/2014We went to the French gourmet for lunch during restaurant week. The food was fairly good, especially the dessert but the waiter was really pushing us to buy expensive add-ons, which made for a somewhat uncomfortable dining experience. More than once he suggested that we buy a bottle of Dom Perignon, a little strange for a $15 lunch on a Wednesday? I ordered the duck confit and enjoyed it but my friend who had the salmon benedict was unimpressed. The dessert and onion soup were both excellent.
- Awesome Cuisine, Minor ChallengesATBsterVIPDined on 1/28/2014We love dining at the French Gourmet. The food is always wonderful, served in a timely fashion (the wait staff look to see where you are in your conversations and seem to keep the efficient kitchen updated), and at a very fair price. We had pate (my wife ALWAYS goes for that), I the escargot (I miss the challenge of extracting them myself from the shells) and for entrees the beef cheeks and duck confit - both outstanding as usual. I had the pinot noir by the glass (a very disappointing light pour by the waiter, he must have been told to push bottle sales). The only other negative is the virtually non-existent parking. It is always a challenge to find a spot, moreso with a handicapped companion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingAngryDined on 1/26/2014I made a reservation for 3:30 and when my party and I showed up, we were turned away because the kitchen had "closed." Very disappointing.
- Stephane = great waiter!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/24/2014We had a wonderful time at The French Gourmet last Friday night. Stephane was a great waiter, a very friendly and enthusiastic French guy. Food was delicious and surprisingly affordable for what you get. We will definitely be returning soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dinner!CarolineDined on 1/24/2014Wonderful dinner! Great service & great food. Fabulous neighborhood gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Economical FoodgourmetdinerDined on 1/24/2014The French Gourmet has fantastic French cuisine at economical prices. I have eaten there since the eighties when they were in the La Jolla village. The experience last night during Restaurant Week reminded me of what I had been missing. My guest and I had a wonderful time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant week food okEtonnanteDined on 1/24/2014Just went here for restaurant week - have had their king's cake and breads which were awesoe but never a meal here. Lunch was ok - I felt like the pate and creme brûlée were mediocre but the duck confit was really good. Hard to tell if this is one of those restaurants that just gets frazzled and ends up with food and service being not as good as it would be normally. My friend was not impressed with the service as she said other people were taken care of and seated before her when we had a reservation, but again, not sure if it was just very busy when she got there. For me the service was fine, but the food only so-so.Special Features:
- Delicious LunchBepagedDined on 1/24/2014My daughter and I had lunch here during Restaurant Week. We had wonderful appetizers and entrees. We had planned to have dessert but were too full. So we purchased dessert and had it for dinner! The service was extremely good. This is a very small restaurant -- about 20 tables. They also have fantastic catering food if you need this.Special Features:
- Outstanding lunchKateDined on 1/24/2014We went to the French Gourmet during Restaurant Week for the first time. The food exceeded our expectations. The salad was particularlyoutstanding -- mustard and tarragon dressing, but very subtle flavors -- but all the food had lovely, light and flavorful sauces, perfectly cooked vegetables, and reasonable portions. They seemed to be rushing us along (e.g., clearing our plates before we'd finished), but it was restaurant week and I'm sure they wanted to have as many seatings as possible. We will definitely return to try their regular menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant WeekRappinRogerBDined on 1/23/2014We went for Restaurant Week. Although it was really busy, Stefan our server was efficient, friendly, upbeat, and charming. The food was fantastic as usual. Overall an A+ experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant weekiluvfoodDined on 1/22/2014Came here for lunch restaurant week. Great selection for affordable prices (both on and off the restaurant week menu). Loved the duck confit. The meat was so tender and juicy. The french onion soup was great too. Would recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Monday of Restaurant WeekCharlesDined on 1/20/2014The food was outstanding. We started by sharing the onion soup which was divine. For the main course, I had the Vegetarian: Ratatouille because I love eggplant. My partner had the skirt steak. For desert, we shared a piece of white cake with strawberries off the pastry tray. The food was good enough to warrant a return for another lunch. The service was a little slow but since we were not rushed it was fine. Make sure you have a reservation as the restaurant is very popular and every table was occupied while we were there for a late lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We will try again...BMacDined on 1/20/2014Because it was MLK day and restaurant week the restaurant was busy with a lot of left over "relaxed" brunch folks. We had a reservation for lunch, but had to wait 35 minutes for a table. It took another 15 minutes for the server to come to our table. The two servers were razzled. They were not staffed for the day, which I would say is a management issue. By the way where was management?Special Features:
- Great service!disneyphileDined on 1/19/2014Came here for the first time during Restaurant week with my girlfriend. The service was great; it took a little bit longer than we would have liked to be moved to a nicer table but, once moved, the staff were always extremely nice and on hand without being pretentious (as may happen at some upscale restaurants). The food was amazing and the cherry on top was a free bowl of delicious onion soup! What had happened was that they had forgotten to include in the bill the extra soup I ordered outside of the Restaurant week prixe fix menu. When we alerted them to the mistake, they thanked us for the honesty and said that the soup's on the house. Made our night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent in all areascindyDined on 1/19/2014We felt well taken care of. The owner/chef even checked with tables to make sure all was well. We could tell that he cared about his business. We are business owners also. Our server, although busy due to Restaurant Week, never made us or anyone feel rushed. He was fun, cordial and efficient. Overall, lovely. We will be backSpecial Features:
- Excellent serviceTomHVIPDined on 1/12/2014The food is good and the service is excellent - especially "D" Morales the man in charge during the day.Special Features:
- Big DisappointmentDisappointedOneDined on 1/5/2014The service, coffee, and French onion soup were ok. But the entrees were disappointing. The quiche was dry. The chicken pot pie....I bet it was in freezer for a long long time. Mahi mahi was tasteless. And the crepes were just brunt. I think I can do better cooking these dishes and I am not a French!
- wonderful food; well pricedSnowbirdVIPDined on 1/4/2014their 3 course prix-fixe dinner is outstanding!! You get to order any appetizer, entree and dessert from the regular menu (a couple of items have a little up-charge) for $29.95. The only thing I don't like is that to get their filtered water, either still or bubbly, you pay $1/guest, but even taking that into account, your prix-fixe meal is just $30.95.Special Features:
- Not French nor GourmetluvfrenchfoodVIPDined on 12/28/2013All around rather disappointed. The monkfish was overcooked and salty and the chicken was blah. Waiter was nowhere to be seen after the server dropped off the entrees. When he finally collected the plates he said that he was sorry about the fish. What kind of response is that? The fruit tart tasted like it was several days old. The only positives were the bread and the on street parking.
- Christmas Eve dinnerRichardSDined on 12/24/2013Had family in for the holidays and decided to go out for dinner on Christmas eve instead of cooking at home. We have a family tradition of having bouillabaisse on Christmas eve, and so we asked the owner, Michel, a few weeks earlier if it would be available. He added it to their Prix Fixe Menu based on our request. Needless to say it did not disappoint. The mussels were outstanding and the shrimp were plump and fresh. The bouche de noel was a perfect ending. If you are looking for an authentic bistro experience, this is the best I've been to outside of France. In fact, it's better than many I've been to in France.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- French Gourmet is GREAT!!vfdmaniacDined on 12/24/2013The food is excellent and the restaurant has that close-knit appeal of dining in the kitchen. The french bakery is the real draw. The wait staff personnel are very attentive and gracious. The owner is on site, friendly and gregarious. Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and environmentLauraDined on 12/24/2013We ate here on Christmas Eve - food was excellent and loved the ambience.Special Features:
- nice breakfast placezipporahVIPDined on 12/22/2013This was our second visit to the French Gourmet and it was very enjoyable once again. We were very surprised that what we thought were the large glasses of orange juice were only smalls (according to the check). Very nicely priced compared to other places with fresh-squeezed juice.Special Features:
- What a gem!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/14/2013Everything was exceptional; food, staff, establishmenr. Very reasonable prices. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was good and well presented.pup1VIPDined on 11/22/2013Food was good and well presented. Stephan, the waiter, was most friendly and welcoming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really Good FoodSnowbirdVIPDined on 11/21/2013We had the price fixe which allowed us to order anything on the menu. Everything was beautifully prepared and the portions were large.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We eat often at the FrenchGourmetjac75VIPDined on 11/20/2013We eat often at the FrenchGourmet and find the food, service and price very good. The management is very helpful and keep the restaurant as a super place to go with friends for a pleasant dining experienceSpecial Features:
- a wonderful mealHollyHandsDined on 10/26/2013We had a BRILLIANT TIME! Food was spectacular. Walla Walla Washington Merlot went super great with our beef entrees! Wait service was entertaining, funny and attentive but not hovering. Thanks we will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice for a quiet weekend breakfastzipporahVIPDined on 10/19/2013We usually go to places a little further south in PB for breakfast and they tend to be very busy and very loud. The French Gourmet was a nice change! The service and food were both very good and the pastries (which we managed to resist this time around) looked delicious and they certainly did a brisk business of people coming in just to purchase from the pastry counter. Will have to try some next time! I also really like that both the breakfast and lunch menus are available simultaneously, as I'm not much of a breakfast food person, whereas my spouse loves breakfast and will order it for lunch. Offering both together makes our lives easier.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As always good foodmarkVIPDined on 10/7/2013Nice menu with well prepared food. We went for lunch but a few members of our party had breakfast which really gave great variety to the menu. Service was good though as the restaurant is small it can get a bit noisy.Special Features:
- Definitely a neighborhood gemDiningoutVIPDined on 10/5/2013Wasn't expecting much after looking at the menu, but wow, what we had was delicious and nicely presented. The portions were generous and not the small portions you get would expect at most restaurants. We ordered the fixe prix menu that was only $45 per person.....very reasonable. We had so much food we could barely take in the dessert which we ended up sharing instead of having our own portions. Service was great! We were visiting from out of town. Wish we had a French Gourmet near us. Their bakery display looked delectable. We bought a loaf of their blueberry bread to take back to our hotel. I'll bet their brunch is wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellence!paulDined on 10/4/2013From the moment one walks in the door until ones exit....Excellence!Special Features:
- Quaint and DeliciousYummy123Dined on 9/26/2013The French Gourmet is a hidden gem. Food is outstanding! It is actually a small bakery with a small dining which is perfect! It is not your urban modern chic restaurants but it is quaint and has character! The veal was amazing! And I got to try the escargot! Truly authentic French cuisine. Would def come back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always excellent French foodpetleopardDined on 9/22/2013We had a wonderful time at this neighborhood gem at the edge of Pacific Beach. The food is excellent, the service is attentive without being overwhelming, and it's always a good time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.