1030 N 2nd
Philadelphia, PA 19123Neighborhood:
SpanishPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.barferdinand.com/
- Phone: (215) 923-1313x
- Hours of Operation:
Kitchen: Sunday - Thursday: 4:30 pm - 12:00 am. Friday and Saturday: 4:30 pm - 1:00 am.
Brunch served Saturday and Sunday 11:00 am - 3:00 pm.
Bar: Monday - Thursday: 4:30 pm - 12:00 am. Friday: 4:30 pm - 2:00 am. Saturday: 11:00 am - 2:00 am. Sunday: 11:00 am - 12:00 am.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Spanish, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: David Ansill
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: We offer a private dining room that seats up to forty guests. The entire restaurant may also be rented out to accommodate large private parties. Please contact us for rates & menu options.
- Private Party Contact: Manager (215) 923-1313x
- Entertainment: Live Flamenco dance performances every First Friday of the month. Live Flamenco dance performances during New Year's Eve and other special events.
- Special Events: Follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more details! All special events are also posted on our website at barferdinand.com.
We offer a private dining room that seats up to forty guests. The entire restaurant may also be rented out to accommodate large private parties. Please contact us for rates & menu options.
- Cross Street: Between Girard Avenue & Poplar Street
- Public Transit: Local access (less than one mile) to subway, trolley, and bus stops.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Parking is available at the public parking lot at the intersection of Germantown Avenue & N. 2nd Street, approximately 1/2 block north of Bar Ferdinand.
A word from Bar Ferdinand
Bar Ferdinand brings quality food, drink, and service to the Northern Liberties neighborhood of Philadelphia. Join us for traditional Spanish tapas and Chef David Ansill's personal take on the country's cuisine. Enjoy a bottle from our expansive Spanish wine list. Eat, drink, love.Continued
Join us on Sunday May 11, 2014 to celebrate Mother's Day at Bar Ferdinand. $30 prix fixe menu available as well as our a la carte brunch favorites.
Join us on Sunday May 11, 2014 to celebrate Mother's Day at Bar Ferdinand. $30 prix fixe menu available as well as our a la carte brunch favorites.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
Bar Ferdinand - Best Restaurants in Northern Liberties ›
Bar Ferdinand reviews from OpenTable diners
56 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (41)great for outdoor dining (31)neighborhood gem (31)good for groups (26)special occasion (23)romantic (18)late-night find (14)hot spot (12)notable wine list (11)vibrant bar scene (8)great for brunch (8)scenic view (6)great for lunch (5)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Always love Bar Ferdinand, but...RandigVIPDined on 7/20/2013The food is always outstanding. This past trip was not my favorite. Too many loud parties in the back room, made it very difficult to talk. Our wine arrived warm, and our server was kind enough to take it back and chill it. We were a bit surprised by the new menu. Some favorites were no longer available. All in all, we will go back, but were slightly disappointed by this last dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tapas Tops My ListbooksandmastiffsDined on 7/18/2013It was incredibly hot out, and a bit hot inside, despite a lack of crowd. Loved the date and bacon empanadas, but really loved the special, Pacu "ribs." Flavorful food all around. Gambas ajilo was not quite as good as it used to be, but still very tasty. Order the Palomino, a perfect drink for a hot night.Special Features:
- Tapas at their bestBigguyVIPDined on 7/14/2013If you are looking for great Spanish food, you do not have to go to Madrid or into a pricey restaurant in center city this place is absolutely fabulous. Fresh and very tasty food here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time, definitely not the lastOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/13/2013Bar Ferdinand was DELICIOUS! Obviously, I'd heard good things - but never went. I don't know what took me so long! Everything we had was super tasty. Yummy!Special Features:
- Tapas Galore.DesignerteeVIPDined on 7/5/2013I came in with a group of friends to celebrate. We tried tons of dishes, which is great. The portions seem just right for sharing, even with 6 people. Our drinks were fabulous and the waitress was very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great atmosphereAzeemDined on 7/5/2013Amazing food... The date and bacon empanadas were one of the best things I ever ate. Live dancing and music on Friday nights was a treat as well. Definitely will go there again for my next hot date.Special Features:
- A surprising new discovery!!sashaVIPDined on 6/22/2013The restaurant is very tastefully decorated and the ambiance is youthfully vibrant! Our waitress was quite attentive. We were a little disappointed that our table was not wiped down adequately between our dinner and dessert. The next course was served on a sticky table which was unappetizing. The food, however, was very good. Loved the Tapas. The paella was quite oily and lacked flavor. The dessert was exceptionally good. Excellent flan. Overall, it was a very good dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed this restaurantSteveDined on 6/14/2013Good food, good ambiance; and able to try some different tastes. Looking forward to going againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Been here a few times andOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/2/2013Been here a few times and the food is always delicious.Special Features:
- loved it!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/27/2013We've been meaning to come to bar Ferdinand for a while, and I'm glad we finally did. The food was delicious! I loved the octopus and the almond cake with lavender, and I loved the outdoor dining, this is a great spot to puppy watch! Our server was quiet and unobtrusive but knowledgeable. Thanks!Special Features:
- The best paella!TinaDined on 5/26/2013This is our second time dining at Bar Ferdinand, and like the first it was excellent! Best paella short of traveling to Spain!Special Features:
- Great food!FoodisgoodDined on 5/26/2013Everything was terrific! Wasn't sure if we were going to like it, but were so happy we went. The baked goat cheese with honey and pine nuts is incredible. You have to try the shrimp and garlic too. My favorite drink was the Palomino! You can't go wrong with any of the desserts but the Flan was my favorite! Can't wait to visit again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Brunch!JasonDined on 5/26/2013We went for brunch for my wife's birthday, and we were not disappointed! Every plate we tried was excellent - we cannot wait to go back!Special Features:
- Yummy Sangria!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/25/2013Not that the food wasn't great, but the sangria was delicious!Special Features:
- Great food and atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/24/2013I've never been to a tapas bar before - I liked this place and will return. The menu was unique, we liked the manchego frito. The atmosphere on a fridaywas lively and the lighting was dark (which I like). The waiter was nice, attentive, and able to answer our questions. The only complaint I had was that the alcohol tasted watered down. We got a pitcher of the red sangria; not sure if the ice cubes melted, but it was definately watery.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another nice dinner at Bar FerdOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/19/2013The Patatas Bravas were awesome and made us talk about our trip to Spain the whole night. I wish I lived close by so I could stop in at 5pm for a beer and an order of Patatas Bravas and some jamon.
- Very very nice really overall..KyFriedVIPDined on 5/16/2013The only thing that kept my overall rating from being 5 stars was I didn't think the shrimp tapa was "fresh". The shrimp were more on the firm side of texture. But overall, really a nice evening out w/ the family and some friends.Special Features:
- Bar Ferdinand has always beendavid7VIPDined on 5/14/2013Bar Ferdinand has always been a fun place for small plates, interesting beers and fine Spanish wines. With David Ansill, the food has taken a step up, with some dishes like the Paella being memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is a stellar placeDelightedVIPDined on 5/14/2013Welcome David Ansill!!! The paella was THE best we've ever eaten and we've traveled far and wide in Spain. The tapas, too numerous to mention, were equally outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved Bar Ferdinand!SwenDined on 5/12/2013We ate dinner at Bar Ferdinand on Mother's Day - and it was fantastic! We loved everything we ordered, and we had a good variety of tapas - starting with a cheese plate. I look forward to going back and trying more things that are on the menu. My daughter spent last summer in Spain and she was very impressed with the quality of the tapas. We had eaten here once before and thought it was good - I think it is even better now, with a different chef. The service was wonderful, without being intrusive. I highly recommend Bar Ferdinand!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great experienceBbcoachfDined on 5/12/2013We are here a lot, and never disappointed. Occasionally a favorite menu item disappears, but nothing we ever try disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed feelingsOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/4/2013The service was pretty awful-- very slow and forgot several requests. The food was very good-- stuck to Tapas, and most were very tasty!Special Features:
- Ambience is great. Very romantic.alaugh01VIPDined on 4/26/2013Ambience is great. Very romantic. A bit overpriced but food is good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Try it, don't opt for the tastingOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 4/13/2013If you are adventurous and flexible with food, the tasting menu is a good option because the prices for the tapas are a bit much considering you need to order 2-4 per person to fill up. The items they brought out were raw oysters, rare salmon, lamb, fried manchego balls, sardines, chorizo. Too much seafood, not enough savory items and nothing familiar that you'd expect to get at a tapas bar like a bowl of olives. I happened to like everything, so I'm not hard to please, but I saw servers walking around with those delicous patatas bravas (which we ordered because my husband was still hungry) and juicy scallops and we were brought items that didn't seem to be that popular.Special Features:
- Be ready to pay! the quantityOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/5/2013Be ready to pay! the quantity is super small (even for tapas) and the price is HIGH!!!!!! It's tasty but not worth the price!Special Features:
- Outstanding food! We thoughtJanebVIPDined on 3/30/2013Outstanding food! We thought chef Ansill only makes good French food but we were wrong he also makes excellence Spanish tapas! We ordered about 8, 9 tapas dishes and they were all very very good and tasty. I read the review from zagat and it said "appealing for adventurous diners" but I found the place have a good variety of poultry, seafood and steak dishes that can fit everyone. Nice place to bring a date or go with a group of friends. The tables are spread out enough for privacy. We are living out of town, it takes us about 1 hour and 10 minutes to go there but we will be back soon. Highly recommendedSpecial Features:
- Stale manchego.wineguyVIPDined on 3/15/2013Don't know what happened. Used to love this place, but it has gone way downhill. They have a great chef in place, bit the food wasnt great. Waitress was good. We had a problem with a gift card they refused to honor. Manager (ben) was not helpful. Even some of their classic dishes (ie fried manchego w apple foam) were not nearly as good as they used to be.
- Great friendly service. FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/9/2013Great friendly service. Food was good, although I like other tapas places better. Would go would but not in a rush to do so.Special Features:
- Can't wait to return!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/8/2013Everything was delicious. We had the manchego with frozen apple foam - Fun!!! The scallops were perfectly cooked and the tuna special with orange and fennel was one of best dishes I've ever had. We had the truffle flatbread and I was tempted to order another to go. The decor inside is great but I look forward to dining outside on our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The noise level was overwhelming.OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/23/2013The noise level was overwhelming. We couldn't even hear the people at our own table and we were in the back room, not even near the bar.
- We had a tasting paired withOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/23/2013We had a tasting paired with wines. Every course unique and wonderful! Wines were also perfect. Service outstanding as well.Special Features:
- Very different experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/16/2013Very different experience but I enjoyed it. Small plates are served, so I wouldn't suggest that folks attend this restaurant if they are ready to have a full plate of dinner. Overall, it was nice!Special Features:
- We took my wife here for herPatmanDined on 2/16/2013We took my wife here for her birthday. We loved the food and wine. The service was great.Special Features:
- Well made dishes, and verySAPYDined on 2/16/2013Well made dishes, and very tasty, but caution to any who aren't a fan of "unusual" cuts of meat because they abound in the menu (sweetbread, intestine, pig ear, etc...)Special Features:
- Outstanding!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/15/2013The food was outstanding!!! WE enjoyed everything, the food was well seasoned. Lisa our server was awesome!! This may be our favorite Tapas place!!Special Features:
- tiny amount of food, way toOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2013tiny amount of food, way to expensive, ran out of dessert of valentines day.
- Give your review a title (optional)Tjr2Dined on 2/14/2013It was Valentine's Day so noisier than I would expect it to be normally. My only complaint was that it took about 10 minutes for the waiter to come to the table. They did not seem ready for the crowd and so we never seemed to have the same waiter twice.Special Features:
- The food and ambiance wereOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/14/2013The food and ambiance were great as always. I could have done without the live music and dancing on Valentine's day.Special Features:
- When I scheduled through OpenOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013When I scheduled through Open Table, I was not aware that it was a fixed price menu on Valentine's Day. My husband and I have eaten there many times before both in the dining room and at the bar. Their tapas are usually delicious; however, on the 14th, the four choices in each food area were horrible. The soup was cream of artichoke and had no taste. The salad was small (mine literally had four pieces of escarole). The fourth item of each food area was vegetarian. The fixed price was $65/person, not including drinks. Needless to say, it was an expensive evening and we hated the food--in other words, a total waste. What is worse, we were still hungry after dinner.Special Features:
- Food was excellent! We loveOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/9/2013Food was excellent! We love tapas and think that this is among the best tapas we've ever had. Don't miss the paella or the octopus! Everything was excellent, even the brussel sprouts!Special Features: