102 N. University Avenue
Provo, UT 84606Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.communalrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 8013738000x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm: Brunch: Saturday 9:00-2:00
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Communal can handle any type of off-site catering up to 250 guests. Please visit our website for more information.
- Private Party Facilities: Our private dining room with its window looking into the kitchen gives you the space you want without feeling left out. Close the shutters and draw the curtains and you have your own private space. Equipped with A/V equipment it serves business needs but also special occasions or times when you just have a larger group.
- Private Party Contact: Colton Soelberg 8013738000x
A word from Communal
Nestled in Historic Downtown Provo we have built the perfect home for Communal. Design by Benfell & Furr yielded a space that is both comfortable and modern. Clean lines and smart design set the stage for what could be the best meal you have ever had. Our private dining room is equipped with A/V equipment and is the perfect place for meetings or larger gatherings (up to 12). Communal easily handles large reservations of up to 20 and is ideal for special events seating as many as 40. The bar looks into the open kitchen and the seats there get you as close to the action as possible. Reservations are accepted and recommended. The menu, a la carte, gives you the opportunity to feel all the love that our local farmers & producers have for their products.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Communal - Best Restaurants in Provo ›
Communal reviews from OpenTable diners
72 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (59)neighborhood gem (39)special occasion (36)good for groups (26)hot spot (22)romantic (18)great for lunch (12)great for brunch (11)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (2)notable wine list (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Birthday partyDivinaDined on 11/27/2013Great food. Awesome ambiance. We always leave feeling satisfied but not overstuffed. The food is not traditional which is what makes it so good and fun. Seating is rather close in the front area but we had a party of 10 in a room to ourselves and it was perfect. Plenty of space and private. We love this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a group of 12 people,loraineDined on 11/22/2013We had a group of 12 people, we made a reservation for 11, they very graciously added our extra person. This was a business luncheon, service was fast, collection of the bill was also very quick.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Every single thing we ordered greatAliGDined on 11/19/2013We had a big group, so we ordered lots of different dishes, and every single thing was amazing! The cinnamon and spices on the pears in the salad was just amazing. Chicken was also outstanding, as well as the Farro Salad and Cauliflower Side Dish. We had 2 vegetarians and there was plenty to choose from, although their menu has quite a bit of meat, especially pork. Almost all sourced seriously locally. The only thing I didn't love was the doughnut dessert - it just tasted like sugar. And I wish they had mixed drinks. Bring your own wine - theirs is spendy. Loved the big "communal" tables. Loud in there - be prepared for a lively evening.Special Features:
- The Food Makes the Rest Worth ItOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/16/2013My extended family and I booked reservations through Open Table and found ourselves seated at Communal's long *communal* table. The couples on either side of our party of six looked like they were old hats at the communal dining experience, but still glowered at us as we sat down. I think it was because none of us are hipsters--we just like good food (yes, the two are not mutually exclusive). The menu was printed on thick kraft paper and both my parents got really faintly printed versions and ended up squinting; my grandmother gave up entirely. The wait staff was very friendly, but it took about 45 minutes for us to get our meals. When we did get them, the food was absolutely delicious. It almost made the rest worth it.Special Features:
- Delicious, but...JessicaDined on 11/8/2013This was my 5th or 6th time at Communal and my second dinner here, and I was a little disappointed. The last dinner we had was fabulous (the chicken was so, so good!) but this dinner was only so-so. It was definitely good, but it wasn't the call-up-your-family-and-everyone-you-know-to-come-eat-here-ASAP that the chicken was last time! Frankly, the dinner was worth (taste-wise) half what we paid for it.Special Features:
- Love this placeHayleyDined on 11/7/2013Best food in the neighbourhood by far, everything is sublime including the desserts, and I always get great service here!Special Features:
- Our 2 salads and 1 sandwichOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/2/2013Our 2 salads and 1 sandwich took 30 minutes to deliver.The chicken was burnt not blackened and totally dried out. I ordered a grapefruit mash expecting a cooled drink with an added twist and got a room temp glass of grapefruit juice, it was very disappointing. Our menu was so washed out that we all had to look at the same menu. The music is so loud that it is nearly impossible to carry on a conversation. I had heard good things about the Communal, but left very disappointed.
- My BirthdayEmilyDined on 10/23/2013I absolutely love communal and have for a while now so when it came time to pick where I would want to have my birthday, hands down it would be communal. The food is amazing. I was obsessed with the mac and cheese too. YUM!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!Good4uDined on 10/19/2013First visit, we loved everything we tried. The food is fresh and healthy. A little expensive, so we will save our visits for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Perfecting PerfectionejharkerVIPDined on 10/18/2013The beef brisket sandwich with chimichurri was one of my favorite items ever served at Communal and easily the best sandwich I've ever eaten in my life.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, attentive serviceCurryboyDined on 10/17/2013This place has a creative menu from fresh ingredients, and the service was superb. Our party of four ordered three entrees to share -- salmon, scallops, and steak. The waiter brought the salmon, scallops, and short ribs. We didn't even notice the substitution; we were focusing more on conversation. The short ribs were delicious anyway. But halfway through the meal, the waiter showed up with an order of steak, explaining that he'd made a mistake. We said, "Don't bother -- the short ribs were fine," but he insisted we try the steak. An unsolicited free entree to make up for an unnoticed mistake? That's great service. This might be my favorite restaurant in Provo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Place in the ValleyMarissaMoDined on 10/17/2013Communal has the best food in Utah Valley hands down! Their menu is always amazing and I just love the overall feel of the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simplistically complexLN1209Dined on 10/17/2013Communal's menu was simple in its offering yet incredibly complex in taste and presentation. It was a dining experience I would highly recommend. The service was excellent and the atmosphere charming. Our party of 4 sampled many of the offerings and found each to be unique and enjoyable. The infusion of flavors were spectacular, even in something as simple as a tomato and avocado sandwich. Fresh and flavorful. It is a bit pricey but worth it.Special Features:
- Amazing food! Nice ambiencepbauthorDined on 10/15/2013Our foodie family of five loved this restaurant. We felt like we were sitting in Martha Stewart's kitchen. The food was fresh with interesting combinations. Our waiter was very attentive and made great recommendations. We can't wait to go there again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a great night out!sbombDined on 10/15/2013My husband and I had dinner here for his birthday. We've been wanting to try it for awhile and were not disappointed. The food was amazing, and our server was very attentive and kind. We will definitely be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!AnthonDined on 10/12/2013When in "Happy Valley", my wife and I will always try to make a trip to Communal. The food is EXCELLENT and service is always reliably good. Currently, Communal is much better than a rival restaurant in town, Chef's Table. Enjoy Communal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OK this timebrentVIPDined on 10/11/2013We've eaten at Communal a few times and this time wasn't as good as it has been in the past. We stood in the doorway for a while waiting to be seated, although we had a reservation waiting. We sent one of the dishes back to the kitchen because it was undercooked and the response was, "that's how it's supposed to be". They didn't cook it more or remove it from our bill, which usually is the case when a diner doesn't like something they're served. Also, the plating was sloppy this time, with the food kind of slopped into our plates and not tidied up at all for service. Most of the food was delicious, and the other issues weren't a big deal by themselves at all, but the mediocrity was surprising to see from a place like Communal.Special Features:
- This is why I love Open Table...MikeandLoVIPDined on 10/10/2013We were in Provo because of a family emergency. We went to Open Table to find recommendation. Once again we were able to find a great place to enjoy a wonderful dinner. This is an excellent Farm-to-Table concept with a family style twist. The portions are large enough to share among two to four people. The service was excellent and the food fresh and tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dinner and experienceGTJacketsDined on 10/10/2013Knowing we would be visiting Provo from Atlanta a friend recommended Communal for dinner. It was an excellent dining experience. Our party of 4 selected 2 salads/starters, 2 meats and 3 vegetables to share. It was just the right amount and we all agreed it was too difficult to pick what our favorite dish was. The food is mostly locally grown and is prepared to perfection. There was so much flavor in everything we ordered. Do save room to share a desert - the bread pudding was excellent. . The service was excellent with a very attentive service staff. We will defintely visit again when we are in the Provo area. It is a small environment so defnitely make reservations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CommunalKingLeonidasDined on 10/10/2013Overall, Communal was good. The food and menu selection were quite plain when prices are taken into consideration. I grew tired of hearing the phrase, "locally grown and prepared." I will consider eating here again; it's a once a year place for me.Special Features:
- Everything was amazing, especiallyegaz15Dined on 10/8/2013Everything was amazing, especially the food! My only complaint is that we had to wait a while for the food.Special Features:
- Amazing again!!!annabelleDined on 10/4/2013This was our second time at Communal. After having such an excellent meal the first time, we came with friends this time. It did not disappoint!! The quality and freshness of the food is incredible. We are looking forward to going back in a couple of months for the winter menu!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZING.JessicaDined on 10/4/2013This is the best meal I've had in Provo--and I've lived here for 7 years! It's pricey, but absolutely worth it. I'm pretty sure every single entree would have been just as amazing as what we had (chicken and steak--the chicken was absolutely fabulous even though I'm normally a red meat person!). From the fresh, hot, salty, buttery, fluffy bread at the beginning to the chocolate berry bread pudding dessert at the end, every dish was perfectly prepared, presented, and served. WOW.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best resturants in UtahmasonDined on 9/27/2013There is nothing of this caliber (food-wise) in Utah County, outside the Tree Room at Sundance (I’d put this above the Tree Room). I’d also suggest that it would give any of the restaurants in state a run for their money. Unique combinations of ingredients, not normally paired elsewhere that create some fantastic tastes. This was my second time eating here, and was even better than the first (and the first was spot-on perfect). Great dishes for sharing, so going in a group of 4 or more gives an opportunity to taste a broad variety of wonderful foods.Special Features:
- WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/24/2013The service was fantastic! The food was delicious. We had a wonderful night out with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best of provoSiaraVIPDined on 9/21/2013Provo is a small town but when Communal opened it definitely brought some credibility with it. This restaurant is by far your best fine dining destination not just in provo but Utah County. Locally grown foods highlights their seasonal menu, which is why I won't mention specific dishes because it changes often. The menu is meant to be shared which is a great way to try many different things as you can mix and match your main proteins and side, salad, and starter options.Special Features:
- Fun experience.JessicaDined on 9/21/2013I really enjoy Communal. Everyone is incredibly nice, and the food is normally very delicious. I brought my parents because they were in town and I thought it would be a fun, special "Saturday brunch." Everyone was still very nice, but the food wasn't really up to par. For the first time since first going to Communal more than a year ago, I was disappointed in my menu choice (as was my mother and my husband, but my we all loved my dad's dish--the pork hash). I will probably go back one more time before I leave Provo in 6-ish months, but I'm not craving it like I once did.Special Features:
- Summer squash tart ... mmmm.clynjVIPDined on 9/20/2013My friend and I stopped in at Communal after seeing a movie on Friday night. It was a beautiful evening so we chose to sit outside. I love that they've added that option. We shared the summer squash tart to start and it was really amazing. There were ribbons of summer squash, a balsamic reduction backed on perfect buttery puff pastry and topped with shaved cheese and arugala. My friend ordered the salmon for her main course and I tried the sausage and coleslaw. The sausage was delicious. The coleslaw was a little bland. My friend's salmon was beautiful and cooked perfectly. We also shared a side of roasted cauliflower. All in all, a great experience at Communal.Special Features:
- Only brunch worth a 1 hour drive!ejharkerVIPDined on 9/14/2013We regularly come down on Saturdays for brunch because it's worth the trip from Salt Lake. The pull pork hash was one of the best things I've ever eaten and the rest was exceptional as usual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite restaurantHolls78Dined on 9/13/2013This is one of our very restaurants and is always at the top of our list for special occasions. Incredible food, great service, cool ambiance. I love that they have a seasonal menu and really focus on buying locally grown products. The only downfall is that the prices seem to have gone up--it was an expensive (but well worth it) date night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantsireatsalotDined on 9/7/2013This small boutique style restaurant is nestled in the Heart of Provo, right off University Avenue in a pretty historical district. It is a clean, well lit establishment and I plan to go there often. The food was amazing, the drink menu is vast and distinguished and the ambience in the restaurant was incredible. Great styling on their part. It is a very modern warm establishment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New TasteEpiTheCurionDined on 8/2/2013I ordered something I had not had before. The homemade house smoke andouille sausage and slaw with a unique dressing. Great new flavor. It is a must try. The skirt steak Sandwich was charcoal grilled to perfection and the locally made bread/bun had a great taste. The Turkey Cuban sandwich did not taste any different than what I could have made at home. I would have preferred a genuine CUBAN sandwich. The parmesan hand cut truffle fries were hot and delicious. Another must. Lastly the grapefruit crush was another new flavor in beverages. I will be going back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous restaurant in ProvoHayleyDined on 7/24/2013We loved everything about this place. The food was amazing, a rare and wonderful find in Utah Valley. Everything was so fresh and nicely presented. The wine was good, the Prosecco was wonderful and the ambience was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went to Communal on a reccomendatioFood4ThoughtDined on 6/21/2013Went to Communal on a reccomendation from a foodie friend. I probably won't go back, I'm not saying the food was bad, it was good, not delicious though. The server was outstanding and fun, very well informed. I sent two dishes back to the kitchen and didn't ask for replacements. Based on my overall experience, there are other restaurants that I have been to that I would pick before I go back to Communal. I wish my experience had held up to their reputation.Special Features:
- Oh what a night!goodkidDined on 6/14/2013We had a fantastic dining experience at The Communal. The food was all prepared to perfection and the environment was relaxing and enjoyable. The restaurant has become an instant favorite for us and a definite go-to restaurant for a couple's night out or a night with good friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thank you for a great Father's DayTiffanyDined on 6/14/2013My Dad and Brother flew in from New Jersey. My brother is a foodie and lives in New York where food is a constant topic of conversation for us on the phone. Thank you for great service, great food, and a great place to take my Dad for Father's Day! And my brother thought your short ribs were the best he has ever had, highest compliment you could receive!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ConceptvitalrogDined on 6/14/2013Sustainable foods from local partners, great location in downtown Provo, ambiance, great food well-prepared and great service make this "communal" dining experience memorable.Special Features:
- Communal - Love it!! :)StrawberrygirlDined on 6/8/2013We love dining at Communal! The food is always excellent and the service outstanding! :)Special Features:
- Surprising FindCaryDined on 6/1/2013Not knowing Provo at all, we stumbled upon Communal almost by accident, after 9:00pm on a Friday evening. Wow, starting with the Farrow/Kale salad, which was bursting with flavor, and then pork belly, which was simply incredible (moist, tender, favorful). Finished the meal off with coconut cream pie and a French-pressed Charming Beard coffee. There was nothing not to love with this meal. The wait person, Andrew is a pro. Articulate, he knew the menu inside and out, and was passionate about the place. So again, what a pleasant, surprising find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We are in Provo one weekendGrassDined on 5/25/2013We are in Provo one weekend a month and always stop by Communal for Saturday brunch. We try to sit at the bar so we can watch the chefs at work. The menu is unique and always changing. Sometimes we're sad when something we've really enjoyed disappears from the menu, but it's fun to try something new and different!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.