The Modern - Bar Room
9 West 53rd Street
New York, NY 10019Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
The Modern - Bar Room
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.themodernnyc.com/
- Phone: 2123331220x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday 11:30 am - 10:30 pm
Sunday 11:30 am - 9:30 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, French
- Executive Chef: Abram Bissell
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: Private dining at the Modern consists of one magnificent room which overlooks the Museum's Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Sculpture Garden through floor to ceiling windows. The space can accommodate up to 64 guests for seated functions and up to 80 guests for receptions.
- Private Party Contact: Special Events 2124086611x
A word from The Modern - Bar Room
The Bar Room offers a more casual way to experience an expansive a la carte menu in a vibrant and welcoming setting. The restaurant also boasts an award-winning wine program as well as a carefully curated list of cocktails, beer and spirits. Located adjacent to The Museum of Modern Art (MoMA), the Modern’s Bar Room accepts reservations 28 days in advance. The Bar Room also includes a Bar & Lounge area that welcomes guests on a walk-in basis. The restaurant also features a prix-fixe only Dining Room and beautiful Terrace space, overlooking the MoMA Sculpture Garden.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Modern - Bar Room reviews from OpenTable diners
144 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (89)great for lunch (56)vibrant bar scene (39)notable wine list (38)special occasion (37)neighborhood gem (35)hot spot (28)great for brunch (19)romantic (17)good for groups (13)kid-friendly (5)late-night find (5)scenic view (4)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- Great pre theatertruffleDined on 6/10/2014We had an early curtain and the food at the Modern-Bar room was perfect. The food was delicious, creative and in small enough portions not to weigh us down for the evening. The wines are pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DemandingDinerVIPDined on 6/8/2014Sometimes, the departure of a chef can signal a decline, but not here. The new dishes are even better than the ones that they have replaced - one of my best meals here yet! Extremely professional, accommodating and friendly service is an added plus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very goodhermionelovestoeatDined on 6/8/2014liked it a lot , would recommend again. liked it a lot , would recommend again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-Theatre DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/7/2014As always, food and ambience were great, but unlike prior visits, the service was lacking. We were seated 15 minutes before waitress first even approached us. Things got better from there, but it was a rough start.Special Features:
- Laughably small portionsVinsMomVIPDined on 6/6/2014The service was excellent. The room gorgeous. Our lunch was delicious. HOWEVER, the portions were tiny. My tiny, 80 year old guest as for the bread basket to be refilled.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Modern diningDistilleryDined on 6/6/2014Excellent summer menu in the bar. Fresh, seasonal, innovative. Excellent service as well. A little noisy due to some unhappy children.Special Features:
- Slightly more affordable excellence585inNYCDined on 6/4/2014Dinner in the bar room was a great choice for our group: some posh foodies, and some urban adventurers with not-so-deep pockets. The Bar Room at The Modern provided an interesting menu, cool space, great food, and excellent service; all the best of NYC fine dining at half the price. Our server helped us order just enough, letting us know about small portions and encouraging us to share plates. The staff was present without hovering, and despite the packed room we never lacked for attention. Food was well presented, creative, and delicious without trying too hard. They avoided the hip restaurant tendency to combine too many exotic flavors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- passforfoodDined on 6/4/2014The steak was not of a quality expected and the wine list is too expensive. The noise is too much. Besides all these, I like the vibrancy of the ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A upbeat place for lucnhTWPQFDined on 6/4/2014Attentive and friendly service. You feel welcome. Concerned staff but not fussy. Concerned staff but not cold. Interesting food - well prepared. Worst case scenario, a place to take a boring person - you can always talk about the food, the ambiance, the people around you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LouGDined on 6/3/2014Food was sensational. Service impeccable. Portions tiny. Danny Myer does it again and again and again.Special Features:
- nottrendyDined on 6/1/2014The service was attentive without being obsequious; the wine steward very knowledgeable without attitude. As usual the menu was interesting and very well prepared, although I was a bit disappointed in my dessert. The cost is higher than I usually spend on a meal out, this is one of my favorite places for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal at the ModernOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/31/2014Although the Modern has been open for years, it still doesn't disappoint. We had a great pre-theatre meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- new2nycVIPDined on 5/30/2014excellent lunch.we had a crab salad that was delicious, but very small ,light if one is only having this for lunch. the bread, and excellent dessert left us very satisfied. restaurant quiet early, but does get quite noisy as the lunchtime scene unfolds.Special Features:
- faded gloryperfectdinerVIPDined on 5/27/2014The new chef has added some enjoyable vegetable dishes, but the mains are dull. A pity to see such a wonderful restaurant go downhill.
- SwaptionDined on 5/23/2014Absolutely outstanding food, drink, service and ambienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific all aroundCasaMonogamistDined on 5/22/2014Outstanding service, excellent food, pleasantly bustling atmosphere.Special Features:
- The following 2337 reviews are from the The Modern - Bar Room reviews archive.
- Noise Level Beyond the Beyond!TiaritchVIPDined on 5/19/2014We have gone to The Modern since it opened. It has been a destination for us every time we visit New York. This last time, however, will be our last. The food is always good to wonderful, but the noise level at dinner in the Bar Room on a Monday night was akin to standing in the middle of a highway at rush hour. It was a steady din, so bad that we cut dinner short, much to our regret. We have had both lunch and dinner there in the past -- maybe will try lunch again. But if you are looking for a place where you can converse, The Modern is not it.Special Features:
- A modern museum for foodKrittikaDined on 5/17/2014We had a great experience after a horrible one 2 1/2 years earlier when the kitchen could not accommodate my husband's pepper allergies and the server was too weak to advocate for him with the kitchen. This time everything was perfect, from the attentive bar service for drinks and appetizers to our dinner server and wine steward, who somehow managed to notice in a dimly lit room that there was a small piece of cork in my wine glass and gave me a new glass cork-free right away. We will surely be back the next time we are in New York.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classy restaurant w/ a great tasteOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/16/2014This has been one of the best restaurants I've been to in NYC. The taste is magnificent and I'm not exaggerating. One thing that initially made us want to rush through dinner was the noise level but after 10 mins you get use to it. I will be returning some time soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ladiesthst lunchLariceDined on 5/14/2014After an afternoon at MOMA the modern is perfection for a small plates lunchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Icy room, so so service and foodvoyageuse54Dined on 5/11/2014Half of our party left because the room was freezing cold. The other half stayed having brought jackets and sweaters which still did not make the meal enjoyable. Food was all right and wine VERY expensive.
- New Menu Is Below AverageOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/10/2014The new chef has reduced the Modern's Bar Room menu from its varied three-plate dinner to a regular two-plate dinner. And there are only five choices for both appetizers and main plates. This is a mistake. Five choices without any variation or specialty? No more egg in a jar? The whole thing is just plain and uninteresting. The menu itself looks dull. For a Danny Meyer restaurant, this is terrible. That's terrible too. We won't be back for a while. For a three star restaurant, this bar room (not the main dining room) will to lose its status, for sure.
- x0011Dined on 5/10/2014I've been to this restaurant, both the formal dining room and the bar room, on previous occasions but was sorely disappointed by my last visit. The egg and mushroom appetizer came extremely over seasoned, so much so that i wonder if anyone even tasted any component of that dish whatsover. It was downright inedible. As for the rest of the dishes, we ordered the cold soup app and the dry aged beef, and the chicken entrees, all were unmemorable. I heard that the chef has changed for this restaurant and i wonder if that was the reason for the unpleasant experience.Special Features:
- CooldinerDined on 5/9/2014Enjoyed the experience and the staff were very helpful, friendly and alert.Special Features:
- ScottDined on 5/8/2014Even wit the new chef and no lobster in a jar offered anymore it waas terrific. Great service, the best steak tartar and we highly recommend the new tartine and the salad with the shaved pumpkin on top - to our surprise. The Bar at the Modern is my favorite treat when I'm in NYC.Special Features:
- Wonderful!XxxxDined on 5/6/2014Wonderful meal, kind and attentive service, gorgeous space!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsChristineDined on 5/5/2014The Modern - Bar Room is a favorite! The food is always seasonal, changing, and delicious. The services is great and there's always a good buzz in the restaurant. Love it!Special Features:
- Very good serviceCariceDined on 5/4/2014Great food. Great location. The staff was very flexible in accommodating an extra guest who was added on at the last minute. The only thing they need to change is the sign of the restaurant. It is difficult for first- timers to find the place. One of our guests had to walk the street twice before finding the entrance.Special Features:
- Chaos at lunch the other daysusanneatkinsVIPDined on 4/30/2014The good news is that the food is splendid and the wait staff very competent, charming and efficient. However, there was such chaos in the room with masses of people milling around the cramped entrance. A strange woman asked to sit at our table to "rest", invading our privacy. The staff ignored this and we felt obliged to allow it, although it should not have happened in a supposedly fine establishment. We won't be returning.
- Excellent restaurantBarrowStResidentDined on 4/25/2014Excellent food and excellent service. Current and comfortable room. Equally good for business or friends.Special Features:
- FOODIE56VIPDined on 4/24/2014Been here many times with customers. Very consistent everytime. Food quality, taste, presntation and service. One customer has been twice now and is her favorite restaurant in NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go if you're not hungryLarryVIPDined on 4/23/2014This is a spectacular restaurant with beautiful view and an experienced and polite staff. The food is delicious but is a tease because the portions are "amuses-bouche" so the emphasis is really on "Bar Room" and not "Restaurant". Prices are high and it is strange to receive a small side bread dish which is proffered as a main dish. So only go there if you're not hungary----that way you will not feel disappointed when the food arrives and you need a magnifying glass to make sure it is what you ordered and your expectations are for what it is.Special Features:
- An off eveningJimboDined on 4/21/2014The Modern ranks as one of my favorite restaurants in NYC. I've been at least 12-15 times. This particular evening was off, or at least not the consistently high standards of past pleasures. Two of eight dishes were bad in quality and preparation. The server was quite good, but back-up was inconsistent. We waited 10 minutes to be offered a drink. I will go back assuredly. Management was attentive, thus hopefully aware the Room was off. But another miss would take this restaurant off the list of really good ones. Especially at $200 per person.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good find in Mid-townmagpie83Dined on 4/21/2014If you are looking for a special place to have a nice meal in mid-town, this is a good option. Was quiet around 6:30 on a Monday but was much livelier by 9pm.Special Features:
- A victim of successFoodFanDined on 4/20/2014Packed Easter house; long-standing reservation but not quite ready for us; second course got lost and we sat with nothing to eat and no offers to refill water or refresh drinks; finally waiter said our orders would be coming "shortly"; we've done Easter there before but this was just too many people. Not your usual Danny Meyer level of service.Special Features:
- FavoritemamcuDined on 4/20/2014We go on Easter Sunday...seems full of fellow New Yorkers in our own sense of finery, celebration and occasion. Just a great experience. Also, fabulous place for a nice dinner at the bar...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVEnycgirl4491VIPDined on 4/19/2014This was my second time dining at the modern bar room. The bar scene is so lively. The bartenders are very nice an knowledgeable. For dinner I had the marinated tuna which is so good I wish they served more, the fois gras which is so tasty, the leeks which were delicious and the arugula salad which was perfect. For my main course I had the scallops which were so tender and perfectly cooked. I couldn't eat dessert because I was way too full. The food is so great there, the servers are very attentive, the restaurant itself is really nice. I love this place and would definitely recommend it for lunch, dinner, or even just drinks at the bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun in the citySophieDined on 4/19/2014We were trying to get reservations for the restaurant. Only the bar was available. We opted for the bar and enjoyed the a la carte menu. Nice get away. We are planning to come back. Thank you for a lovely evening.Special Features:
- A great experienceannaDined on 4/18/2014Great food, great service, greate ambience. Great food, great service, greate ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great to see great art & eat wellFoodwomanVIPDined on 4/18/2014Danny Meyer has brought in a fit replacement in the kitchen. The ingredients and sophistication of the old govern. Deleesh and right.Special Features: