The Modern - Bar Room
9 West 53rd Street
New York, NY 10019Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
The Modern - Bar Room
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.themodernnyc.com/
- Phone: 2123331220x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday 11:30 am - 10:30 pm
Sunday 11:30 am - 9:30 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, French
- Executive Chef: Abram Bissell
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: Private dining at the Modern consists of one magnificent room which overlooks the Museum's Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Sculpture Garden through floor to ceiling windows. The space can accommodate up to 64 guests for seated functions and up to 80 guests for receptions.
- Private Party Contact: Special Events 2124086611x
A word from The Modern - Bar Room
The Bar Room offers a more casual way to experience an expansive a la carte menu in a vibrant and welcoming setting. The restaurant also boasts an award-winning wine program as well as a carefully curated list of cocktails, beer and spirits. Located adjacent to The Museum of Modern Art (MoMA), the Modern’s Bar Room accepts reservations 28 days in advance. The Bar Room also includes a Bar & Lounge area that welcomes guests on a walk-in basis. The restaurant also features a prix-fixe only Dining Room and beautiful Terrace space, overlooking the MoMA Sculpture Garden.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Modern - Bar Room reviews from OpenTable diners
149 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (95)great for lunch (56)vibrant bar scene (51)notable wine list (48)special occasion (45)neighborhood gem (38)hot spot (34)great for brunch (23)romantic (19)good for groups (14)late-night find (6)scenic view (6)kid-friendly (6)great for outdoor dining (4)Show More
- Wonderful MealmrsmVIPDined on 6/29/2014Sometimes everything just falls into place & you have a great dining experience. This was one of those times. The waitstaff was attentive & the waiter steered us to wonderful selections. I especially enjoyed the crab/radish salad & the carrots as a side dish rather than appetizer was a perfect suggestion. We weren't rushed & enjoyed a leisurely meal finished off by a decadent chocolate dessert with lemon verbena (to die for) ice cream.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre matinee lunchSNSINNYCDined on 6/29/2014Had lunch here with a friend before going to a Sunday matinee. The food is consistently good here and the service is always cordial and ready to please. I didn't give service 5 stars because I twice asked for ice and never got it. While this is a minor infraction I would expect no oversights for this restaurant.Special Features:
- Not Bad..ManhattanDudeDined on 6/26/2014Salmon was very good. Guest seemed to enjoy dinner. Service was fine. Would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful eveningTBM1213Dined on 6/24/2014The Bar Room at The Modern turned out to be the perfect spot for a special dinner! Thank you so much for a great experience!Special Features:
- Perfection!DCGourmetVIPDined on 6/21/2014Stunning presentation, cuisine, and wine. Simply put, perfection. The foie gras and tuna tartare were the highlight of the evening. Visit MOMA, and then have lunch or dinner in the bar area, and you will have a sensational day.Special Features:
- Small portionsSB596VIPDined on 6/20/2014The food was great but the portions were shockingly small. I was still hungry after three courses!I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/14/2014the food was outstanding; we will certainly go back.Special Features:
- MoMA VisitOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/14/2014This is one of my favorite spots. The food is consistently good and service is impeccable. Our California friend raved about everything!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow service / stellar food.HHFoodieDined on 6/12/2014We love The Modern and try to go whenever we're in the city. The food never disappoints but our lunch took two precious hours out of our busy day. We couldn't tell if it was the fault of the kitchen or the server. We will go back but if it happens again we may have to reconsider. We did love the maitre d' - he was delightful and was enthusiastic about taking a picture of us as we were leaving.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool location, very average foodtimothybVIPDined on 6/11/2014The Modern is in a great location and it is a very good looking restaurant with a good crowd. Unfortunate the food doesn't live up to the restaurant's great atmosphere and the service is best described as aloof and kind of slow. I had the pork loin with pork belly confit. The pork loin was overcooked and a bit tough, and while I didn't think it through before ordering, pork belly "confit" is just a strip of bacon, not some type of fine, artisanal bacon, just the regular strip of bacon you would expect for $.99 at a diner. For the price point, there are a lot of better restaurants in Manhattan. Great place for a drink, but not to dine.
- Fun4usVIPDined on 6/11/2014Great food , Great atmosphere , Lively , In Place . iSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pre theatertruffleDined on 6/10/2014We had an early curtain and the food at the Modern-Bar room was perfect. The food was delicious, creative and in small enough portions not to weigh us down for the evening. The wines are pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DemandingDinerVIPDined on 6/8/2014Sometimes, the departure of a chef can signal a decline, but not here. The new dishes are even better than the ones that they have replaced - one of my best meals here yet! Extremely professional, accommodating and friendly service is an added plus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very goodhermionelovestoeatDined on 6/8/2014liked it a lot , would recommend again. liked it a lot , would recommend again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-Theatre DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/7/2014As always, food and ambience were great, but unlike prior visits, the service was lacking. We were seated 15 minutes before waitress first even approached us. Things got better from there, but it was a rough start.Special Features:
- Laughably small portionsVinsMomVIPDined on 6/6/2014The service was excellent. The room gorgeous. Our lunch was delicious. HOWEVER, the portions were tiny. My tiny, 80 year old guest as for the bread basket to be refilled.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Modern diningDistilleryDined on 6/6/2014Excellent summer menu in the bar. Fresh, seasonal, innovative. Excellent service as well. A little noisy due to some unhappy children.Special Features:
- Slightly more affordable excellence585inNYCDined on 6/4/2014Dinner in the bar room was a great choice for our group: some posh foodies, and some urban adventurers with not-so-deep pockets. The Bar Room at The Modern provided an interesting menu, cool space, great food, and excellent service; all the best of NYC fine dining at half the price. Our server helped us order just enough, letting us know about small portions and encouraging us to share plates. The staff was present without hovering, and despite the packed room we never lacked for attention. Food was well presented, creative, and delicious without trying too hard. They avoided the hip restaurant tendency to combine too many exotic flavors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- passforfoodDined on 6/4/2014The steak was not of a quality expected and the wine list is too expensive. The noise is too much. Besides all these, I like the vibrancy of the ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A upbeat place for lucnhTWPQFDined on 6/4/2014Attentive and friendly service. You feel welcome. Concerned staff but not fussy. Concerned staff but not cold. Interesting food - well prepared. Worst case scenario, a place to take a boring person - you can always talk about the food, the ambiance, the people around you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LouGDined on 6/3/2014Food was sensational. Service impeccable. Portions tiny. Danny Myer does it again and again and again.Special Features:
- The following 2343 reviews are from the The Modern - Bar Room reviews archive.
- nottrendyDined on 6/1/2014The service was attentive without being obsequious; the wine steward very knowledgeable without attitude. As usual the menu was interesting and very well prepared, although I was a bit disappointed in my dessert. The cost is higher than I usually spend on a meal out, this is one of my favorite places for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal at the ModernOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/31/2014Although the Modern has been open for years, it still doesn't disappoint. We had a great pre-theatre meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- new2nycVIPDined on 5/30/2014excellent lunch.we had a crab salad that was delicious, but very small ,light if one is only having this for lunch. the bread, and excellent dessert left us very satisfied. restaurant quiet early, but does get quite noisy as the lunchtime scene unfolds.Special Features:
- faded gloryperfectdinerVIPDined on 5/27/2014The new chef has added some enjoyable vegetable dishes, but the mains are dull. A pity to see such a wonderful restaurant go downhill.
- SwaptionDined on 5/23/2014Absolutely outstanding food, drink, service and ambienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific all aroundCasaMonogamistDined on 5/22/2014Outstanding service, excellent food, pleasantly bustling atmosphere.Special Features:
- Noise Level Beyond the Beyond!TiaritchVIPDined on 5/19/2014We have gone to The Modern since it opened. It has been a destination for us every time we visit New York. This last time, however, will be our last. The food is always good to wonderful, but the noise level at dinner in the Bar Room on a Monday night was akin to standing in the middle of a highway at rush hour. It was a steady din, so bad that we cut dinner short, much to our regret. We have had both lunch and dinner there in the past -- maybe will try lunch again. But if you are looking for a place where you can converse, The Modern is not it.Special Features:
- A modern museum for foodKrittikaDined on 5/17/2014We had a great experience after a horrible one 2 1/2 years earlier when the kitchen could not accommodate my husband's pepper allergies and the server was too weak to advocate for him with the kitchen. This time everything was perfect, from the attentive bar service for drinks and appetizers to our dinner server and wine steward, who somehow managed to notice in a dimly lit room that there was a small piece of cork in my wine glass and gave me a new glass cork-free right away. We will surely be back the next time we are in New York.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classy restaurant w/ a great tasteOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/16/2014This has been one of the best restaurants I've been to in NYC. The taste is magnificent and I'm not exaggerating. One thing that initially made us want to rush through dinner was the noise level but after 10 mins you get use to it. I will be returning some time soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ladiesthst lunchLariceDined on 5/14/2014After an afternoon at MOMA the modern is perfection for a small plates lunchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Icy room, so so service and foodvoyageuse54Dined on 5/11/2014Half of our party left because the room was freezing cold. The other half stayed having brought jackets and sweaters which still did not make the meal enjoyable. Food was all right and wine VERY expensive.
- New Menu Is Below AverageOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/10/2014The new chef has reduced the Modern's Bar Room menu from its varied three-plate dinner to a regular two-plate dinner. And there are only five choices for both appetizers and main plates. This is a mistake. Five choices without any variation or specialty? No more egg in a jar? The whole thing is just plain and uninteresting. The menu itself looks dull. For a Danny Meyer restaurant, this is terrible. That's terrible too. We won't be back for a while. For a three star restaurant, this bar room (not the main dining room) will to lose its status, for sure.
- x0011Dined on 5/10/2014I've been to this restaurant, both the formal dining room and the bar room, on previous occasions but was sorely disappointed by my last visit. The egg and mushroom appetizer came extremely over seasoned, so much so that i wonder if anyone even tasted any component of that dish whatsover. It was downright inedible. As for the rest of the dishes, we ordered the cold soup app and the dry aged beef, and the chicken entrees, all were unmemorable. I heard that the chef has changed for this restaurant and i wonder if that was the reason for the unpleasant experience.Special Features:
- CooldinerDined on 5/9/2014Enjoyed the experience and the staff were very helpful, friendly and alert.Special Features:
- ScottDined on 5/8/2014Even wit the new chef and no lobster in a jar offered anymore it waas terrific. Great service, the best steak tartar and we highly recommend the new tartine and the salad with the shaved pumpkin on top - to our surprise. The Bar at the Modern is my favorite treat when I'm in NYC.Special Features:
- Wonderful!XxxxDined on 5/6/2014Wonderful meal, kind and attentive service, gorgeous space!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsChristineDined on 5/5/2014The Modern - Bar Room is a favorite! The food is always seasonal, changing, and delicious. The services is great and there's always a good buzz in the restaurant. Love it!Special Features:
- Very good serviceCariceDined on 5/4/2014Great food. Great location. The staff was very flexible in accommodating an extra guest who was added on at the last minute. The only thing they need to change is the sign of the restaurant. It is difficult for first- timers to find the place. One of our guests had to walk the street twice before finding the entrance.Special Features:
- Chaos at lunch the other daysusanneatkinsVIPDined on 4/30/2014The good news is that the food is splendid and the wait staff very competent, charming and efficient. However, there was such chaos in the room with masses of people milling around the cramped entrance. A strange woman asked to sit at our table to "rest", invading our privacy. The staff ignored this and we felt obliged to allow it, although it should not have happened in a supposedly fine establishment. We won't be returning.