616 J Street
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
OrganicPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.jsixsandiego.com/
- Phone: 6195318744x
- Hours of Operation:
Open for breakfast daily at 7am. Lunch is Monday-Friday 11:30am-2:30pm and Brunch is available on Saturday & Sunday from 10am-2:30pm. Dinner is served daily starting at 5:30pm. Our full menu is available in the bar and lounge, which also features a fun Happy Hour from 4-7pm, weekdays.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, American, Californian
- Executive Chef: Christian Graves
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: For catering information please contact Amber Wright at 619.819.9767 or at Amber.Wright@HotelSolamar.com
- Special Events: Coming Up...
Join us March 26th at 5pm for our 8th annual Shuck 'n' Swallow and watch restaurant teams battle in an oyster shucking and eating competition.
- Cross Street: J and Sixth Ave.
- Public Transit: Trolley and public bus. Broadway & 6th Ave. bus stop. Walk 0.5mi south to J St. & 6th Ave.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: $10 for 3 hours with restaurant validation and dining receipt; Complimentary Valet parking for lunch guests Monday-Friday 11am-3pm.
A word from Jsix Restaurant
Jsix is an American restaurant featuring small plates of fresh, local farm-to-table produce and sustainably raised meats. We feature community dining tables, a spacious bar and lounge in a comforting, neighborhood atmosphere. Our head bartender, Nate Howell, stocks the bar with quality-focused American spirits and mixes a mean drink.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Jsix Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
54 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (29)good for groups (19)vibrant bar scene (17)neighborhood gem (14)special occasion (12)late-night find (11)hot spot (9)romantic (9)great for lunch (8)kid-friendly (5)great for brunch (4)scenic view (4)notable wine list (4)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Great Night In while awayOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/21/2013I was staying at Hotel Solamar. It was a prefect place for a quiet night for dinner. Service was great as was the food. A definite return the next time I am in San Diego.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JSix has excellent, innovativeOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/21/2013JSix has excellent, innovative food. Service needs improvement - they need to staff up on the floor (one waiter serving several tables, no busser) and maybe also in kitchen (some of the slowness may come from there). Waits were quite long - we got first course 70 mins. after being seated. But we had an excellent time in the end since the food and drinks were very good and we entertained each other. Probably won't visit again for a while unless I hear service is improving. Kitchen very creative.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant weekBesosDined on 9/20/2013Our server Michelle was wonderful. Service and timing was great. She was very attentive. Starter-marinated local tuna crudo. Raw tuna sashimi with a black garlic. OMG I could have a whole plate of it. Yummy. The black fettuccine pasta was also very good with the mussels. Main-Tumeric & Coriander Halibut. Loved that the fish was plated over raw veggies such as watercress and cucumber vs. cooked veg. or mashed potatoes. However, the halibut was overcooked and dry. He had the New York Steak. He said it was a bit tough. Dessert-cafe mocha creme brulee. They gave me fresh berries to replace the nut toffee due to my allergy. Very considerate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but...ilovefoodDined on 9/20/2013Went here with some friends during restaurant week, and had fun. The restaurant itself is beautiful and the staff was friendly. And, the food is good. Between the three of us sampled just about everything on the restaurant week menu, and we were all happy with it, but for the price I was hoping for spectacular, not just good.Special Features:
- Jsix' Terrific MenuOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/19/2013Jsix has a medium-sized dining room with soft lighting at night and an energetic ambiance when full. There are several parking areas, one across the street and several within a block or so. Jsix menu offers a delicious array of organic produce and grass-fed/ sustainable meats/ seafood. I think Jsix plans to please and all personnel seemed to make the effort to make our visit a pleasant one. The Stuffed Tempura Squash Blossom was my favorite app, the crispy tempura covered a young zucchini and the blossom, which was stuffed with a creamy risotto. One of us preferred their Raw Veggie Salad & Burrata, which was beautifully plated, delicious, and perfectly dressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingTeeBeeDined on 9/18/2013Food wasn't great - meat wasn't tender, pairings seemed conceptual rather than spot on, noise level was incredibly loud, and it felt like people were wandering through on their way to the hotel. Service was slow and seemed almost resentful when we asked for refills on water.
- Favorite for dinner w/ friendsSaltyTonyaDined on 9/15/2013Jsix is definitely a favorite of mine. I love that the chef features fresh local ingredients, the cocktails are creative and delicious as well. And, service here is always very friendly, attentive, and knowledgable.Special Features:
- This restaurant was recommendedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/15/2013This restaurant was recommended by a friend. I probably will never go there again unless the quality of their food improves greatly. Dining in the Gaslamp area is always a hassle as free parking is hard to come by. Add the cost of parking in a lot to the cost of your meal equates to a very expensive outing. Now I realize why I seldom eat in the Gaslamp area.
- The food was very attractivelyMaryDined on 9/12/2013The food was very attractively presented and very good. The salads were especially notable. The ginger mocktail was very tasty. We mentioned to the waitress that it was the last day of our honeymoon. Even though we couldn't eat another bite, she sweetly brought us a very luscious berry gelato complete with a candle. Since we were staying at Solamar, it was very convenient for our last night in San Diego.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic dining experienceHappyanniversaryDined on 9/11/2013Fantastic dining experience from beginning to end - the staff really went above the call to make our experience wonderful. Excellent, locally-sourced food prepared with obvious care.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service and foodSharonDined on 9/3/2013I went here with my dad and step mom to celebrate my dad's birthday. We had amazing service and the food was excellent. Will definitely go there again.
- So Good!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/31/2013Needed to take a group of foodie people out to dinner. This was so perfect.The menu, the food, the server, being able to talk... everyone was happy! The scallops with mushrooms were the best I have ever had!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was excellent. Had theRoxySugarDined on 8/30/2013Food was excellent. Had the pork chop - fantastic! Service was a little slow despite telling our waiter we were in a hurry to make a show.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expected more healthy varietyKatzVIPDined on 8/29/2013We had dinner here about 6 months ago and loved it because it had a lot of healthy options but this time around went there for lunch and the menu was very limited. Hardly any healthy, low calorie options. They happened to have a delicious Halibut on top of mushroom risotto which was very good but if it wasn't for that plate I would have just stood up and left. The waiter was nice and attentive. I don't know if I will be coming back : (
- Wonderful little foodie gem in GLDYummy39Dined on 8/26/2013I love this restaurant. The presentation is beautiful, flavor profiles are excellent and wine pairings are wonderful. Worth checking out. Also Gluten Free aware.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as Good as Last YearOCAnnVIPDined on 8/24/2013We visited Jsix last year and was so enthralled by it that I wanted to return this year. Still good, but doesn't shine as much. We ordered burgers medium rare which were delivered well done. While we enjoyed the apps, salads and dessert, the main courses while good, wasn't anything to write home about (our group of six had burgers, sirloin steak, black pasta & ravioli). Not likely to return when there are so many other options.Special Features:
- phenomenalbeckabooDined on 8/18/2013I didn't sit outside but my fiance and I we impressed with everything. The staff is great. They are knowledgeable about the chefs, background of restaurant and the product. Additionally they knew the menu and were helpful in recommending pairings or dishes. Five stars would be an underestimate for review... It would above and beyond the scale.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Recommended by a friend...goodDisappointedVIPDined on 8/16/2013Service and food were great.. Pardon pepper and stuffed squash blossoms were a first for us...and certainly will order again. Good wine list and knowledgeable staff. Will return there soon.Special Features:
- Terrific fresh foodLikegoodfoodDined on 8/10/2013Food was excellent. Varied menu some different dishes. Very enjoyable.Special Features:
- Order the Chef's MercyBreezeVIPDined on 8/10/2013We dined at Jsix Saturday night and ordered the Chef's Mercy with wine paring. We could not have been happier with our food. Each of the 5 courses was just outstanding. Tasty, surprising, filling, beautiful,... We started with Tuna Crudo with carrot/cucumbers dressed in meyer lemon oil--maybe my favorite thing of the night, but hard to say. Then we had a sweetbread sampler and seared scallops, followed by a pasta with clams/mussels and braised short ribs; then a fat pork chop with amazing apple salad and polenta. The dessert was just beautiful with rasberry/merlot sorbet, fried bread, and poached pear. Each dish was accompanied by a different wine. Its a little pricey, but oh, so worth it. We will be back for this.Special Features:
- Needed a place to celebrateGuestfromSFDined on 8/5/2013We needed a place to celebrate closing a new distributor, this was the perfect place for the dinner. The appetizers were fantastic and the service was out of this world. Staff was friendly and I could not have asked for a better experience I would recommend to any and all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service, Great Food!AnnaMDined on 8/4/2013Dined here with my husband for his birthday after staying at the Hotel Solamar the night before. We had such a great experience. The server was very friendly and extremely attentive. He made sure we had everything we needed. We received complimentary champagne from the hotel for his birthday that we were able to enjoy at the restaurant. Food was great and was very fresh. We will definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This restaurant has a veryOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/3/2013This restaurant has a very limited lunch menu. The food was interesting and tasty but we were looking for more options for lunch and something beyond breakfast foods and sandwiches.Special Features:
- Our server really made thesingingalissaDined on 8/2/2013Our server really made the night great. She went over and above and really made the guest of honor feel special!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't go in a groupCannabelleVIPDined on 7/30/2013Recently I was hosted at a party for 14 friends. The tip was included, because we were a large group. Was this why the service was non-existent. My food was over dressed and too salty. I actually felt sorry for the waiter because I don't think it was his fault. There are too many choices in San Diego to even stop at this one.
- San Diego Jsixlodgegm1Dined on 7/23/2013I wish there was another star to add to the service i received. Absolutely fantastic experience. Randall is to be commended for excellence in service, menu knowledge and for representing Jsix as an example of what service should be for all guests. i could not have had a better experience. Chefs frequent visits to me tableside made me feel special and important. Thank you to you all!Special Features:
- Jsix reviewbcumberworthDined on 7/14/2013Very good food, nicely presented with organic and natural ingredients.Special Features:
- Enjoyed the barCaliborneDined on 7/13/2013but not the food. The bar tender John was great, he made me a great cucumber vodka drink. We also enjoyed the cheese plate and I enjoyed my cheeseburger. My fellow diners had two different pasta dishes and a tuna dish and no one really loved them. I don't think we will be returning.Special Features:
- Great place to eat beforeCardiffgregDined on 7/11/2013Great place to eat before the ball game. Over all service was excellent, and our server was top-notch.Special Features:
- hungry from the airportcomposerVIPDined on 6/28/201320 minutes by car or taxi from Lindbregh field @ 10 pm, crowds gone, great foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A delightOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 6/24/20135 course chef's dinner was fantastic. Give the chef free reign and let them surprise you. They do not disappoint. Picked up a 2004 Cab from the Wine Bank and received free corkage. Make sure you tip the staff extra when you bring a bottle. 1: Kimchee& crab salad with lemon sorbet. 2: Mussels, clams and fingerling potatoes with garlic aioli & cilantro. 3: Sweet corn and sage puree, herb faro, cipollini onions with sausage stuffed quail. 4: Horseradish potatoes, corn lava bean & tomato sautee with red wine braise short ribs ( 4 hrs). 5: rasberry semi-feeddo, chocolate walnut tart and hazelnut brandy gelatoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden just enough to save on waitYummyDined on 6/22/2013Not quit a local spot but off the beaten path enough to take you away from the tourist scene. Menu is small but plentiful, wine selection is modest but adequate. Specials are available daily and simply delicious! Had the seafood pasta, offered variety of perfectly cooked seafood, with homemade thicker fettuccine in an amazingly awesome light wine and seafood broth sauce with cherry tomatoes. So great and fresh my 2 yet old wanted more!! Partner had the whole grilles fish, watched it being grilled with slices of butter, lemon and pepper places in the center and grilled perfectly served with black rice and nicely prepared collard greens. It is a small place but they offer a really nice meal in a nice city.Special Features:
- Great anniversary evening!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/21/2013Great evening, great food, friendly staff. We went for our 28h wedding anniversary. Started with drinks on the roof-top terrace. Dinner at jsix downstairs. Waitress was attentive and fun. Manager, Ben Carroll, was super. Food was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highlight of San Diego DiningbirthdaygirlDined on 6/18/2013Not only was the food exceptional--best mussels, scallops--but we were served complimentary champagne for the birthday we celebrated. Staff, from greeter to bar tender to servers, were personable and generous. Portions were adequate, and presentation satisfying. Best dining experience of our trip to San Diego.Special Features:
- it's all about the serverOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 6/9/2013our server knew a lot about the food, how it was prepared and what was the best on the menu. we could not have had a better experience and the server was right. everything tasted great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never again1starVIPDined on 6/6/2013First stop was the roof top bar, could'nt get any service, once we finally did it took over 20min to get a bottle of wine, went to ck in for our 630p reservation and the "hostess" was to busy talking to a co-work on the phone to greet us or seat us. Our waitress was great, but the food was just so so and very strange. - several items where left off one dish as well, but removed from the bill. Manager was very nice and addressed our concerns, but ineffective service drove us away and we'll not return. Just to many other places better in San Diego Stay ClearSpecial Features:
- We enjoyed an outstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/4/2013We enjoyed an outstanding preparation of pasta and fish; great flavors.. Locally sourced produce and sustainable meats. Loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I wish I could relive the night!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/1/2013When placing my reservation, I asked for a window seat, away from the kitchen and also mentioned I was celebrating my wedding anniversary. They met my request to the "T" and even surprised my husband and I with a complimentary glass of champagne and dessert in honor of our anniversary. The drinks and food were AMAZING! I recommend the sausage stuffed quail. Our server was the cherry on the sundae: friendly, knowledgeable, and went above and beyond for us. I would recommend this place to anyone and can't wait to go back! Best anniversary EVER!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Mother's Day BrunchRedfordDined on 5/12/2013We had a nice mother's day brunch. Food was great. The waffles couldn't be made fast enough though!Special Features:
- A Great Experience. We arrivedGuidepost42Dined on 5/11/2013A Great Experience. We arrived about 4:30, went up to the 4th floor for a drink. Wonderful! Then down to the main dinning area on the ground floor. The food was some of the best and most interesting we have had in the amazing gaslamp area. The service was impeccable, but the best was saved for last, a chocolate creation that provided a totally new way to think about chocolate its many tastes and textures. Price was reasonable... but wait there is more... my wife left her sunglasses and the staff, rather than placing them in lost and found and waiting for us to call, tracked down our phone # (from open table) and called US! Will we be going back ? Absolutely!Special Features: