152 W. 52nd Street
New York, NY 10019Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.baramericain.com/
- Phone: 2122659700
- Hours of Operation:
Weekend Brunch: 11:30am - 4:15pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:45am - 4:15pm; Dinner: Sun-Mon: 5:00pm - 9:45pm, Tues-Thurs 5:00pm - 10:45, Fri-Sat 5:00pm - 11:15pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Bobby Flay
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: For parties larger than 4 please contact the restaurant at (212) 265-9700. A credit card will be required to hold these larger reservations.
A word from Bar Americain
Bar Americain is an American Brasserie featuring regional American food created by Bobby Flay.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bar Americain reviews from OpenTable diners
685 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (384)special occasion (298)good for groups (191)notable wine list (131)hot spot (124)romantic (118)great for lunch (114)neighborhood gem (102)great for brunch (92)vibrant bar scene (82)late-night find (41)kid-friendly (29)scenic view (4)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Pre-Concert DiningKatheeDined on 10/5/2014Interesting American cuisine, food well prepared and tastefully presented, polite and attentive service, right near Carnegie Hall so great for a pre-concert dinner. I brought a friend from Vienna so that she could sample American cuisine -- she loved it!Special Features:
- fantastic!foodsnobDined on 10/5/2014Went for brunch. Food was outstanding, the service was excellent. The only thing missing was Bobby Flay himself!Special Features:
- Bad experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014After this experience I don't believe Bobby Flay wins everytime (beat bobby Flay) . The food was not good as it was expected, it could be alot better. personly I had better food in other places. Next time I vist New York I make my Reservation at McDonald's, it may be better.Special Features:
- Fabulous place.zeus50VIPDined on 10/4/2014I have eaten here many times and it never disappoints! I highly recommend this restaurant to anyone visiting New YorkSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best After-Broadway DinnerDMC701Dined on 10/4/2014My family and I had a wonderful steak dinner, starting with soup, and ended with even better dessert. Everything Bobby Flay does is just genius. This is a great dinner for after a Broadway show since it's right on 52nd, but it's also great for an occasion (as its a little pricey) or just a great steak dinner on a Saturday night. The service was impeccable, and the restaurant is beautiful. We keep coming back and back, and are always just as impressed as the last time. Try the peach pie - yum!Special Features:
- Just OK.......OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/4/2014My wife, 16 year old daugter and I were there prior to a show. The service was excellent, but the food was just average. The corn bread had a strange taste, maybe onion (how do you mes up corn bread?) Wife and daughter had a seafood sampler which they enjoyed. I had Clam Chowder which I though was oddly spiced and did not like, however the Okra was a nice touch. 2 of us had steaks which were good. The other entry was the fried chicken which was good, but small. Greens that came with chicken were not good. Sides of mashed pots and mushrooms were both very good. The mushrooms were my favorite item of the night. We did not have dessert. The food as described and 2 drinks came to $225 pre tip. I must say I expected more from Bobby Flay!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014very nice ambiance, went for brunch would like to try for dinner - do not be shocked by price - it is expensiveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YUMMYOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/4/2014Great food, great service! Second time there, first for brunch and we'll go back!Special Features:
- Typical New YorkWatsonDined on 10/4/2014Pleasant but not outstanding. Food was good but have had better food in small country inns in New England and less expensive.Special Features:
- Bignets were yummyEEGGDined on 10/4/2014Great meal, as expected. Started with the fresh made bignets served with a variety of jams, very yummy. Cocktails were well made. Brunch offered several good choices. I had the Preakness Benedict, eggs with hollandaise over crab cakes. Crab cakes were a little salty (but I'm a no salt kind of person). Otherwise it was a very good dish. My dining companions had the sweet potato crust pot pie & the croissant french toast. Both were pleased with their meal. Finished by sharing an espresso, cocoa nib creme brulee, a nice treat. We were all pleasantly stuffed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good but not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/1/2014I had the rabbit which was dry and cold. But the Tuna appetizer was very nice; at least, the cut itself was superb. The service was good but not flawless. This is not an especially expensive place and I may give it a second shot. But maybe not.Special Features:
- Doing Bobby Flay proudSteveDined on 9/30/2014Bar Americain definitely does Bobby Flay proud. The food was outstanding and the service was impeccable. I would highly recommend it to anyone in the city.Special Features:
- Excellent experienceMfogleDined on 9/30/2014My husband and I really enjoyed our lunch. We had great service and quick turnaround seeing that we were pressed for time. Wonderful food - would recommend. A must see in NYCSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the same as beforeArthurDined on 9/29/2014I ate here years ago and it was amazing - not this time. The food was bland - and bland is not a word that should be used in a Bobby Flay restaurant. Aldi, my steak was tough and inedible. Overall not a great experience.
- Incredible food, great atmosphereyummy123Dined on 9/29/2014Amazing! Expected nothing less, but the ciopinno was incredible, especially paired with the Tempranillo by the glass.Special Features:
- Delicious and theater centricThyme2dineDined on 9/28/2014A very delicious find especially for brunch after Mass at St Patricks and before catching a Sunday matinee. A perfect spot near 5th and the theaters!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for special occasions!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/27/2014It's not the place for kids but they are very accommodating for our special occasion. Food was very good too!Special Features:
- Bobby FlayOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 9/27/2014Food and atmosphere good. But was disappointed because it wasn't a Bobby Flay Great. Was expecting more.Special Features:
- great foodtheatergoerDined on 9/27/2014nice variety of menu items, expertly prepared and attentively served.Special Features:
- Great dinner: NYC Theater DistrictSDSeattleDined on 9/27/2014Three friends and I ate here before A Gentlemen's Guide to Love and Murder. We wanted great food within walking distance of the Walter Kerr Theater. We got it. I was a little skeptical about food quality due to some of the reviews I read. I am not sure what these folks ate but our food was really fantastic. All 4 of us cleaned our plates. The lamb I had was cooked perfectly and I am picky about lamb. Each of us ordered cocktails and loved them. My Old Fashioned was sensational. The only negatives were the small portion of hot potato chips, loads of dip but very few chips, and too much crust not enough filling on the peach pie. Our waiter was absolutely charming. Lovely evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunch!tiramisufcDined on 9/26/2014I was in NY for the weekend and had lunch there. I had the salmon and sweet potato hash - wonderful. And I always have to have those potato chips.Special Features:
- Pleasant Experience, Great FoodDingashenDined on 9/25/2014This was a dining experience to remember...great service, great food...the whole package. I was particularly surprised how the server was able to pair my single malt scotch with a dish that would complement it perfectly. Two thumbs up.Special Features:
- Can Say We've Been.LeftyMHVIPDined on 9/25/2014Kentucky Hot Brown was dry and rather tasteless, mussels were small and chewy, and onion soup had a strange flavor dissimilar to any onion soup I've ever had.Special Features:
- Good but portions seemed smaller.CathyMVIPDined on 9/23/2014Portion sizes seemed smaller. My favorite, the BBQ chips, seemed smaller and different. Dark and Stormy drink seemed different. Still recommend it and will return.Special Features:
- Not up to the hypeamateurfoodieDined on 9/23/2014I had heard great things about this restaurant and really liked the atmosphere. The food choices were excellent, but my choices did not taste as good as they sounded. The poached egg on the salad was over cooked and 1/3 of the mussels in my entree were closed and uneatable. The bread to start was nothing special. French fries were fantastic! I just expected the food to stand out and it disappointed. Excellent vibe in the restaurant as well a superb service. However, with all the choices in NYC, I would not go back.Special Features:
- Try the fried chicken!AdrianDined on 9/20/2014Great restaurant with a cool atmosphere. The fried chicken is unreal.Special Features:
- One of the best meals of our lives!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014We got the tuna tartar and pizza to start which were amazing then my wife and I shared the duck and Saturday New York steak special. Both were something we savored which each bite. We finished with the creme brûlée. Overall it was the best meal of our lives. We will got back when we are in New York again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food and serviceFreemDined on 9/20/2014Three of us went for apps and martinis one evening, had a wonderful time! Our bartender (David) was a great mixologist and had great suggestions for appetizers! Came back a couple of nights later for dinner with another group, David remembered us mixed some more great drinks. Our dinner was fabulous! Would highly recommend this restaurant! Next time I'm in New York I'll be back!Special Features:
- DisappointingluvgoodfoodDined on 9/20/2014After dining at Bar Americain multiple times, Mesa Grill - Bahamas & Bar Americain - Mohegan Sun, this NY city experience was terribly disappointing. A Chef as good as Chef Flay causes his diners to have high expectations, this seemed like a tourist place for those not in the know about good food. We were seated in a room upstairs that appears as an overflow room - certainly not the vibrancy of the downstairs dining room. The chips were soggy and few for a table of 4, had to order more and was charged an additional $3.00 - the blue cheese dip was nothing special. My salmon crudo was warm and poorly presented. It appeared that most of the dishes were pre-prepared like the lobster appetizer that lacked that "Flay" flair. Will not return.
- PERFECT PRE-THEATER SPOTWineanddineDined on 9/20/2014This is a great spot for pre-theater dining. The food was very good. Hot, fresh and as expected from Bobby Flay. The service was exceptional. Friendly, down to earth and genuine. The entire staff was alert and paid attention to timing of the dining experience in relation to the show you were attending.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SHDLDined on 9/20/2014Great place to take out-of-towners... great service, great food. Moderate prices. Will definitely go back!!Special Features:
- Food was greatmarcDDined on 9/19/2014Food was great, price was expected for NYC, however, portions were embarrassingly smallSpecial Features:
- Good but didnt wowjezzaDined on 9/19/2014Came here with my wife, we 've been wanting to try this place for a while. We had the crab and avocado salad to start and found it way too salty. I like strong flavors but this was too heavy handed with the salt. We had the shrimp with grits and the rabbit for our main. The rabbit was excellent, very nicely cooked with good contrasting and balance of flavors. The shrimp and grits was ok - have had better. A little bland and it was a very small portion - almost appetizer. Service was good and the atmosphere was lively. Overall a little mix, was expecting better from a Bobby Flay place
- Very good!!ShortyDined on 9/19/2014The food was really good and the service too, nice place with friendly people. Definetly I recommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MGmichael49Dined on 9/19/2014Food ok wine list pricey. Escargots exc. steal just ok as fried chickenSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Southern Food in Manhattan!TallahasseeLassieDined on 9/19/2014It was great to see/eat great southern dishes with a Manhattan twist. I had shrimp and grits and while it was not as good as what you can get in Charleston or New Orleans, it was very good. The grits were cooked perfectly but I wish the shrimp had been a tad plumper. My hubby had the snapper Florida style with blackeyed peas and collard greens. I thought he was going to lick his plate! And the blackeyed peas and collards could compete with seasoned southern cook.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Knows what he's doingevelynVIPDined on 9/19/2014We've been there twice so far and love about every dish. My husband said his Manhattan clam chowder (which he usually doesn't like) was delicious. I felt the same about an asparagus salad that was full of interesting flavors. I have had the fish and sashimi there and been very happy; nothing ordinary here.Special Features:
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/19/2014Food was terrific, atmosphere and service to match.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing food + serviceDisappointingDined on 9/18/2014Wanted to celebrate with my nephew and get a really good dining experience. I had had the lamb before and it was excellent. Well, the second time the lamb was very "gamey" tasting and not very good. When I told the server, he said he would pass it along to the chef and did not offer to do anything different. I only ate a portion of it and he never came around after it was served to check on us. Very disappointing especially after the tremendous experience the first time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehtravisawDined on 9/18/2014The place was really nice. But the food wasn't a home run in my opinion. Since the proprietor of the restaurant is a food network icon I would expect everything to be fantastic. The food was good, but not great. Maybe somewhat bland... For the price, I've had better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.