913 Front Street
Leavenworth, WA 98826Neighborhood:
Latin AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.southleavenworth.com/
- Phone: 5098884328
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Saturday - Sunday: 8:00am - 11:30am; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm, Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Daily: 4:00pm - close
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Mexican
- Executive Chef: Alfredo Garcia
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have two areas in the dining room which can be separated for semi-private dining facilities. In this situation other diners can be seen and heard. We also have a patio that can be rented in various ways, wither private or semi-private depending on group size and budget.
- Private Party Contact: Cappy or Price 5098884328
- Entertainment: SOUTH hosts local musicians on Fridays and the last Wednesday of each month. We book bands and individuals who play mostly original music that compliments the dining experience. We offer both instrumental and vocal styles. We host musicians for special party nights such as Cinco de Mayo and local group bike rides. Come sit on the patio with a drink or dinner and enjoy our talented musicians.
- Special Events: You can rent our patio. It holds up to 75 people.
- Cross Street: 9th Street
- Public Transit: The trolley stops in front of SOUTH and the Link bus stop is about 300 feet away.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: We are located across the street from a parking lot which has free and pay-per-use stalls. The street is less congested at our end of town which is the east end. We have two loading zones in front of our building which may be used to pick up to-go orders.
A word from SOUTH
SOUTH is a family friendly restaurant and bar, specializing in fresh Latin food and drinks. We serve high quality and flavor-filled recipes from Mexico, Cuba, Brazil and Peru. SOUTH is located in one of Leavenworth's original buildings. The old and the new converge to make a refreshing and comfortable modern space. Come see why Leavenworth's locals love SOUTH.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
SOUTH reviews from OpenTable diners
17 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (10)neighborhood gem (7)great for lunch (6)kid-friendly (5)good for groups (5)hot spot (4)fit for foodies (3)vibrant bar scene (3)late-night find (1)Show More
- Quirky little hot spotOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/20/2011Really great food if you stick to what they are great at. i.e. the flavorful carne asada, and their more specialty dishes with interesting ingredients. But leave the usual mexican fare such as fajitas to the typical mexican restaurants or you may be disappointed for the price. Their interesting flavorful drinks are a must try. Live music on Fridays is great but gets pretty loud. Outside dining is perfect for summer.Special Features:
- One of our favorite restaurants,OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/20/2011One of our favorite restaurants, the food is great and so is the atmosphere.Special Features:
- We booked South as we wereOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/5/2011We booked South as we were going to be in town for Cinco de mayo and it was an inpsired choice, the food was excellent (the salsa bar is the best) and the fresh taco chips were as good as advertised. The service was very friendly even give nthe packed out nature of the night. Try the Sangria!!Special Features:
- Never miss their basil margaritasOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/15/2011Never miss their basil margaritas when in town. Excellent choices. Quality food.Special Features:
- A Welcome Alternative to BavarianOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/2/2011South is the perfect alternative to the plethora of German restaurants in the Bavarian village of Leavenworth, serving up delicious Latin food in a fun, hip atmosphere. Both meat-lovers and vegetarians will be pleased by the many menu options (the carnitas plate was delish and plentiful), and the unique cocktails can compete with any city lounge. Add in the friendly, fast service and great atmosphere and South is now our favorite Leavenworth eatery. Also cool that they offer free wi-fi and serve breakfast, lunch and dinner.Special Features:
- just ok...OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/24/2011I was disappointed with South, after reading so many good reviews. The quacamole lacked cilantro and I prefer corn tortilla chips over their flour. The rice was a strange flavor and was luke warm when it arrived. The steak faiths were average. My son's seafood enchiladas were pretty good though. Overall not what it was hyped up to be.
- We just bought a condo inOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/12/2011We just bought a condo in Leavenworth, and are very pleased to find this Gem! I had the ease of making reservations for a Saturday night for two at 6:30, no problem. We waltzed in at 6:27 and were taken directly to our table. I was intregued by the other reviews, and was excited to try the basil marguarita and the Big, wet, burrito... it was just as I'd hoped... the marguarita was wonderful, the guacamole was very good with the warm crispy, flour tortillas... and yes, we shared the burrito! Neither of us could have finished one by ourselves. It's my new favorite in Leavenworth.Special Features:
- Group DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/11/2011Had an amazing dinner with the girls; excellent drinks and fantastic food made up for the noisy atmosphere and tight seating. Waiting around for the live music was definitely worth it!Special Features:
- My husband and I had dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/5/2011My husband and I had dinner here on a busy Saturday night. South is a lively, flavorful oasis in the bratwurst and schnitzel desert of Leavenworth dining. My fish was fabulous, my husband's carne dish good but not great. The service was very good. Our waitress was a perfect balance of attentiveness without hovering and TMI. Our only complaint: The noise level was very high and at times we had to practically yell to be heard but the atmosphere was fun and lively and it was a great place to be on a cold March evening.Special Features:
- This place just gets betterOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 1/21/2011This place just gets better and better. I tried the green beans with lime last time and they were great. My fav drink is the basil margarita. Sounds weird but it is great! On Friday they have music at 8pm played by local cool band.Special Features:
- Busy and noisy but the foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/8/2011Busy and noisy but the food and drink defiantly worth it!Special Features:
- South is by far our all timeJacktastic7VIPDined on 12/20/2010South is by far our all time favorite Restaurant in Leavenwoth. We will make any excuse up to drive the hour round trip just so we can dine there. The food is consistently succulent, the waitstaff are always wonderful and cheerful. When our family and friends come to visit they always schedule a trip to South as well.Special Features:
- Truly the best food in Leavenworth.shashDined on 12/12/2010Truly the best food in Leavenworth. Their basil margaritas are fantastic!Special Features:
- Enjoyed prompt service andOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/10/2010Enjoyed prompt service and comfortable seating arrangements for the five of us, two of which were children under six years. Food and drinks were very good for all of us and we had good service with friendly communications from all at South. Place to go for fun and good food. Book a reservation for sure when going to Leavenworth.Special Features:
- We were there with a groupOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/4/2010We were there with a group of 10 (including 3 infants!) and the service was amazing from the host to the server to the "bus boy" everyone was awesome. It was a great place for us and also for all of our babies!Special Features:
- Great great service. Our waitressOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/4/2010Great great service. Our waitress was very friendly, helped withnthenkids and was socially talkative but not over bearing. Great service! Food was fast, but well cooked and delicious!Special Features:
- This was our 5th time therealwayswithwineDined on 12/4/2010This was our 5th time there since June when we moved to town we bring our friends and visitors there for a great mealSpecial Features:
- Excellent food. Best LatinOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/6/2010Excellent food. Best Latin restaurant in LeavenworthSpecial Features:
- Although our server was notOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/15/2010Although our server was not very friendly and the grumpy-faced restaurant manager did a lot of hovering and very little (if any) schmoozing with the customers (staring at everyone over the top of his glasses was a little unnerving)-- we did have a wonderful meal and amazing drinks. The Sweet Basil Daisy Margarita is delicious! We will definitely go back again. Be sure to make a reservation if you have a group.Special Features:
- A true gem hidden in Leavenworth.OpenTable Diner Since 2000Dined on 10/2/2010A true gem hidden in Leavenworth. The food was excellent--we had ceviche, hot green beans and the warm flour tortillas with guacamole for appetizers, several varieties of enchilladas, basil margaritas and bloody marys, all superb! Service was so good, amazingly so, especially during Oktoberfest when the town is overwhelmed with people. We recommended the restaurant to our friends so they went there the next morning for breakfast and reported that it was the best they'd ever had, so we ordered up some breakfast takeout. Wow!! do not miss the hot salsa--it does the job so right!Special Features:
- What a welcome break fromOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/17/2010What a welcome break from the German food/atmosphere in Leavenworth. We enjoyed the food and live music on Friday night. The outdoor patio looked like a great place to be in nice weather.Special Features:
- This restaurant was a welcomeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/5/2010This restaurant was a welcome change from the town's Bavarian themed restaurants. The menu choices included a good range of innovative dishes, and accommodates vegetarians well. We will definitely go back again. Only problem was that we ate too much. The mole sauce was delicious.
- A table was available whenOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/21/2010A table was available when we arrived the servicce was prompt and the food was greatSpecial Features:
- The food was excellent, ifOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/12/2010The food was excellent, if South was in a big City you could never get in.
- South is an oasis in the middleOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/31/2010South is an oasis in the middle of Bavarian Leavenworth, WA. I do love German food, but if you go to Leavenworth often it's great to have an alternative. Try the tiny tacos, they may be tiny, but at $2 or $3 per, you can order a bunch. Combine it with the giant bowl of chips and fresh pico de gallo appetizer, add a Margharita and you have a fantastic meal. Our server was a delight, the ambience is a nice as any big city hot spot and the menu has something for everyone.Special Features:
- South is our favorite restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/31/2010South is our favorite restaurant in the area. The food is fantastic. The mole sauce is one of my husband's favs, but the real gem here are the flour tortilla chips with guacamole. Its like having a mini pastry with each bite of guac. The drinks are great too, especially the South Daisy and Caipirinha.Special Features:
- Great restaurant! We've beenOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/30/2010Great restaurant! We've been visting Leavenworth for many years and so glad we found this restaurant on our last visit.Special Features:
- AMAZING as always. We areOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/29/2010AMAZING as always. We are there both nights we were in town!Special Features:
- By far our favorite restaurantJacktastic7VIPDined on 7/11/2010By far our favorite restaurant in Leavenworth. Fresh flavorful Latin American food.Special Features:
- Food was good. Very noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/2/2010Food was good. Very noisy though. We had the pork and carne asada. The steak was so tender. The pork was good too. Thought the beans were way too salty. Dessert not so good. Flan very heavy, not light as it should be. It was a nice change to the usual places in town. We would go back.
- The food was tasteless,expensive,poOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/26/2010The food was tasteless,expensive,poorly displayed,not enough food and drinks are STRONG! Felt as if our plates were thrown on the table to get us in and out like a herd of cattle. We have been to plenty of mex restaurants and this by far is not mexican food. The waitress forgot to take our order and very unorganized. Staff with no personality,no smile or a thanks for coming in! Very disappointed with the food and service. Will not return to this place I would rather eat at a Taco Wagon pay for Authentic Mex Food and pay $10 for a meal not $20 for burnt chicken in a white sauce tossed w/hard chopped onions and celery oh and black beans NO rice! or Chips and Salsa!
- our dinner was very good andOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/26/2010our dinner was very good and the service was also very good. On-line reservation was easy and the confirmation and reminder notice excellent.Special Features:
- The food was fresh and delicious.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/21/2010The food was fresh and delicious. Not your typical "traditional" Mexican fare, updated and different. The chips and salsa sampler was outstanding, and refried beans creamy and delicious.Special Features:
- The food is way over priced,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/15/2010The food is way over priced, I have never in my life been served seafood enchilada's that had bay shrimp. The shrimp were fishy and the size of the enchiladas (2)were very small. The enchiladas were accompanied with a small portion of yellow rice, I was offered beans at an extra cost since I was paying $16.95 to begin with I should have received beans, chips and salsa with my meal.My husbands meal was flank steak, not too bad. It was accompanied with french fries that we could have purchased at McDonalds and some romain lettuce with a dressing all for $15.95. Do not plan to have an alcoholic beverage because you will need to rob the bank to pay for it. A 7&7 that cost $7.00 Wow what can I say.
- South has awesome food andOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/15/2010South has awesome food and a great atmosphere! Will definately go back there next year when we are in Leavenworth!!!Special Features:
- Dinner at South was fabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/8/2010Dinner at South was fabulous as always! Why else would we drive 5 hours and book a room just to have a meal?!Special Features:
- What a great surprise in ourOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/8/2010What a great surprise in our Valley! The food and drinks rival a restaurant in the Seattle area. We will go back soon!Special Features:
- We were seated right away,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/8/2010We were seated right away, thanks to the reservations. They have a large menu, lots of choices but very overpriced for what you get. The noise level was out of control. We could not have a conversation without yelling. I was not impressed!
- Good service. Innovative approachOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/1/2010Good service. Innovative approach to the cuisine. Enjoyable dinner. One downside - noisy.Special Features:
- I've only been there twiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/30/2010I've only been there twice now but really appreciate the inventive menu items and the emphasis on local food. Also really appreciated the free birthday Margarita for my husband and friend entering their 6th decade on this Earth.Special Features: