913 Front Street
Leavenworth, WA 98826Neighborhood:
Latin AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.southleavenworth.com/
- Phone: 5098884328
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Saturday - Sunday: 8:00am - 11:30am; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm, Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Daily: 4:00pm - close
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Mexican
- Executive Chef: Alfredo Garcia
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have two areas in the dining room which can be separated for semi-private dining facilities. In this situation other diners can be seen and heard. We also have a patio that can be rented in various ways, wither private or semi-private depending on group size and budget.
- Private Party Contact: Cappy or Price 5098884328
- Entertainment: SOUTH hosts local musicians on Fridays and the last Wednesday of each month. We book bands and individuals who play mostly original music that compliments the dining experience. We offer both instrumental and vocal styles. We host musicians for special party nights such as Cinco de Mayo and local group bike rides. Come sit on the patio with a drink or dinner and enjoy our talented musicians.
- Special Events: You can rent our patio. It holds up to 75 people.
- Cross Street: 9th Street
- Public Transit: The trolley stops in front of SOUTH and the Link bus stop is about 300 feet away.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: We are located across the street from a parking lot which has free and pay-per-use stalls. The street is less congested at our end of town which is the east end. We have two loading zones in front of our building which may be used to pick up to-go orders.
A word from SOUTH
SOUTH is a family friendly restaurant and bar, specializing in fresh Latin food and drinks. We serve high quality and flavor-filled recipes from Mexico, Cuba, Brazil and Peru. SOUTH is located in one of Leavenworth's original buildings. The old and the new converge to make a refreshing and comfortable modern space. Come see why Leavenworth's locals love SOUTH.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
SOUTH reviews from OpenTable diners
17 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (9)good for groups (7)neighborhood gem (7)great for lunch (6)hot spot (3)kid-friendly (3)vibrant bar scene (2)fit for foodies (2)late-night find (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- My Favorite Place In LeavenworthOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/30/2012Love this place! One of the few places in Leavenworth that does not serve German food. Ambiance is quaint and special.Special Features:
- South is real favorite inOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/24/2012South is real favorite in Leavenworth and many outlining areas. It's got an unusual latin menu and incredible margaritas. You do need a reservation if you want to eat before 6:30 on ANY night, but weekends are extremely busy. Kids are okay there, but it's more of a delight to adults.Special Features:
- Best Latin American Food inLeavenwoMarketingGuyVIPDined on 6/4/2012The carnitas dish was excellent. This dish alone is worth trying this restaurant.Special Features:
- Secret Garden and Tasty Drinks!kyraEricDined on 5/27/2012We sat outside (nice weather) and felt like we were tucked away in some secret garden that served amazing drinks like Sweet Basil Margs and Stingers! YUMMY! We had our dog with us and they welcomed well behaved leashed dogs and actually gave us a watering bowl to share with another puppa in the near table. Lovely lil' spot! Food was amazing and thus will be frequenting again soon!Special Features:
- We Love South.JohnLDined on 5/13/2012We love South and try to go in every time we go to Leavenworth. The food is fantastic, the service is excellent and friendly. It is just an all-around great place.Special Features:
- Love this place but very noisy.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/11/2012Love this place but very noisy. Live music is too loudSpecial Features:
- Basil margueritas are worthOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/27/2012Basil margueritas are worth the drive to LeavenworthSpecial Features:
- Leavenworth is known for BavarianOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/6/2012Leavenworth is known for Bavarian food so South stands out as a great alternative when looking for something different in this wonderful setting. Try their unique drink menu! You won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- Let Downkmassey421Dined on 4/6/2012The food was a big let down. Very bland. You'd think after marinating carne asada for 2 days, it would have some flavor. The tacos had hardly any meat and way too much onion. Overall, not a place I would return to for anything other than a drink.Special Features:
- It's okay.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/25/2012Good Latin food. limited choices of diverse cuisines in Leavenworth, so if you want a change from brats, this is it.Special Features:
- Drinks were not good- differentBillDined on 3/20/2012Drinks were not good- different type of margaritas- did not like them. Pork was pretty good- rice was not good. Have to pay extra for chips and salsa.Special Features:
- Amazing sweet potato enchiladaRD06Dined on 3/16/2012Another great serving of the amazing sweet potato enchilada combo. Just wish something had been done about my reservation comment that it was for a bday celebration. Even a candle on the desert would have been amazing. Didn't realize the hostess would not tell the server about the bday request.Special Features:
- Somewhere between the 35+OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/28/2012Somewhere between the 35+ types of tequila and the fabulous mole enchiladas, I lost my ability to stop eating. The flavors were bright and rich. The salsa was fresh. The habanero dip had just enough burn. I loved the food so much I couldn't stop eating. And we still had leftovers to savor for lunch the next day! Thanks for doing such a great job!Special Features:
- This has been one of our favoritesOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/24/2012This has been one of our favorites for the past 1-2 years, but more recent (last several months) the service has drastically changed from what we used to know. You could always be sure that the food, and service would be fantastic, but the service has become less than acceptable. It's really too bad because we love this place! Please find some more great wait staff so we can continue to keep this as our favorite!!!Special Features:
- We go to Leavenworth at leastOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/19/2012We go to Leavenworth at least once a year, and always make South a stop! It's great!Special Features:
- Fabulous as always! I hateJacktastic7VIPDined on 2/19/2012Fabulous as always! I hate to keep giving such good reviews as it's getting harder and harder to get a table on the weekends. But, we'll keep driving the hour to get there as it's worth every morsel! I've yet to have something I didn't care for on the menu.
- Super easy reservations usingOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/29/2011Super easy reservations using Open Table. Once entering the restaurant we were seated immediately while (sorry guys) waiting diners stood in the doorway for up to an hour or more. Reservations a must. Dining here a must. Fresh. Delicious. Tender pork carnitas. A must stop every time we visit Leavenworth.Special Features:
- A very unique menu. AlwaysGingerDined on 12/23/2011A very unique menu. Always difficult to choose an entree, because everything is consistently prepared to perfection. A local favorite.Special Features:
- Always a treat, South alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/12/2011Always a treat, South always comes through with great food and uniques drink selections. Mexican with a flair!Special Features:
- Leavenworth's GemKGEatsVIPDined on 11/11/2011South offer's creative, flavorful, Latin American food that is always made with the freshest ingredients. We visit Leavenworth often and no trip is complete without a visit to South.Special Features:
- I have had several great mealsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/7/2011I have had several great meals at South before but this time around with a large group our meals were not so good. The mole sauce was definitely off and tasted like nutmeg too much, which is too bad since they told us they were known for their mole sauce. My fried fish burrito had no fried fish in it, and my friends fish taco tasted 'off' and there was very little fish in her fish taco. Overall, we left hungry and dissappointed in the food.
- Excellent food, service, andOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/1/2011Excellent food, service, and drinks! Highly recommend.
- Excellent margaritas, andFoodieLindaVIPDined on 9/28/2011Excellent margaritas, and outstanding service. I didn't care for the Mole however, as it was smothering everything else and too sweet, but the seafood enchilada was very good.Special Features:
- This was a golden find; aOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/23/2011This was a golden find; a relief to all the heavy Bavarian food in Leavenworth. We were pleased with the flavorful food, good vegetarian options, pleasant patio seating, and live music that added to the ambiance and still allowed you to talk. All around wonderful!Special Features:
- Excellent foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/11/2011This restaurant was recommended to us by someone who lives in Leavenworth who is a vegetarian. Since we are vegetarians, we decided to give it a try. The food was wonderful. I had the squash/poblano chiles enchilada which was to die for. There was also enough left-overs for dinner last night. We both definitely plan to eat there again when we visit Leavenworth.Special Features:
- Nice Latin/Mexican break toOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/3/2011Nice Latin/Mexican break to the Bavarian Village concept. Wait staff was nice, the food was nice. We sat in the outside back area, which gave the feel of an authentic Mexican locale.Special Features:
- Quality of food was excellent.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/2/2011Quality of food was excellent. First time here so next time I'll call call ahead to reserve their Friday night Pork Shank special which looked great but sells out fast. Service was great so will return to eat again!Special Features:
- South esta bienOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/28/2011We had a fantastic evening at South. From the jalapeño margaritas to start to wonderful entrees it is a truly solid Mexican experience. Fresh, simple, true to Mexico flavors make South a must do in Leavenworth.Special Features:
- THE Best MexicanOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2011I've eaten at many a Mexican restaurant all over the world and South has been the best by far. We ate out back in the patio area. It was a very hot night but was nice and cool on the patio. We started off with chips and salsa (no, they are not included but they are good and worth the $4.00 we paid). My partner and I both ordered the Shrimp Burrito which was amazing. The shrimp were huge and the other fillings were fantastic (cheese, cilantro). The coleslaw side was so yummy. We ended up here on our last night in Leavenworth but would have definitely been back if we had more time.Special Features:
- Food was delicious. But noOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/20/2011Food was delicious. But no blended Margaritas, so on a hot day, the drinks aren't very cold, however the varieties of tequila makes up for it. Try the stinger.Special Features:
- South was great. ExcellentfoodieVIPDined on 8/18/2011South was great. Excellent menu, attentive service by our waiter Matt, fun atmosphere. Only wish they had a restaurant in Spokane.Special Features:
- Very great restaurant in LeavenwortOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/11/2011Very great restaurant in Leavenworth. You might not think of going here while in a Bavarian village, but it is definately something you should do. The food is amazing, and be sure to try the Basil Margarita!Special Features:
- Food was very good. ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/2/2011Food was very good. Service was quick and friendly. Nice place to catch lunch or dinner.Special Features:
- I always go to South whenOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/29/2011I always go to South when I'm in Leavenworth and it consistently has wonderful food, great margaritas, and friendly service!Special Features:
- Chapped in LeavenworthMarkVIPDined on 7/14/2011We were disappointed with South from the first moment when the host tried to seat us next to a crowded waiter station when we had an Open Table reservation in a nearly empty restaurant. That's marginal, but the crusty look that followed was not acceptable. Next, what kind of mid level Mexican restaurant does not provide complimentary chips and salsa? Then, it took multiple requests for drink refills. Despite all this, the food was quite good. If you are tired of brauts and schnitzel in Leavenworth, go. If not, wait to you see a Taco Bell. The service will be better.Special Features:
- As always the food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/9/2011As always the food and service was excellent. The drinks are always great too. If you want some great mexican food, this is the place to get it.Special Features:
- definite yesjeddyDined on 7/3/2011great food, interesting menu. definite yes. went with 4 kids 8-10 and they loved it. The service was delayed by a mistake in the kitchen. Not the servers fault? and they apologized and brought the kids free Shirely Temples. Probably not the usual thing. Adults food came out first which is a no-no with kids usually.Special Features:
- We've eaten here on last 2OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/29/2011We've eaten here on last 2 visits to Leavenworth and brought 4 others on last trip over Memorial Day. We enjoy the atmosphere and the fact the menu extends beyond Mexican fare to include other southern hemisphere flavors. Only place in Leavenworth to get a pisco sour!Special Features:
- This was a decent dinner forOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 5/28/2011This was a decent dinner for adults - especially nice when you don't feel like another German meal. While they had a kid's menu, our kids didn't like their food - hardly ate a bite.
- This is by far our favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/27/2011This is by far our favorite place in Leavenworth! The food, drinks, and wait staff is always fantastic!!! Luv it!Special Features: