913 Front Street
Leavenworth, WA 98826Neighborhood:
Latin AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.southleavenworth.com/
- Phone: 5098884328
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Saturday - Sunday: 8:00am - 11:30am; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm, Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Daily: 4:00pm - close
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Mexican
- Executive Chef: Alfredo Garcia
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have two areas in the dining room which can be separated for semi-private dining facilities. In this situation other diners can be seen and heard. We also have a patio that can be rented in various ways, wither private or semi-private depending on group size and budget.
- Private Party Contact: Cappy or Price 5098884328
- Entertainment: SOUTH hosts local musicians on Fridays and the last Wednesday of each month. We book bands and individuals who play mostly original music that compliments the dining experience. We offer both instrumental and vocal styles. We host musicians for special party nights such as Cinco de Mayo and local group bike rides. Come sit on the patio with a drink or dinner and enjoy our talented musicians.
- Special Events: You can rent our patio. It holds up to 75 people.
- Cross Street: 9th Street
- Public Transit: The trolley stops in front of SOUTH and the Link bus stop is about 300 feet away.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: We are located across the street from a parking lot which has free and pay-per-use stalls. The street is less congested at our end of town which is the east end. We have two loading zones in front of our building which may be used to pick up to-go orders.
A word from SOUTH
SOUTH is a family friendly restaurant and bar, specializing in fresh Latin food and drinks. We serve high quality and flavor-filled recipes from Mexico, Cuba, Brazil and Peru. SOUTH is located in one of Leavenworth's original buildings. The old and the new converge to make a refreshing and comfortable modern space. Come see why Leavenworth's locals love SOUTH.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
SOUTH reviews from OpenTable diners
18 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (10)neighborhood gem (7)great for lunch (6)good for groups (6)kid-friendly (5)hot spot (4)fit for foodies (3)vibrant bar scene (3)late-night find (1)Show More
- What a find!AllisonSDined on 7/11/2013I've been traveling through Leavenworth for years and have always been disappointed with the restaurants. This trip I discovered what may be the best kept secret in this charming town. South was perfect! The food was wonderful. The ambiance in the outdoor garden was fit for a fairytale. The kids had a great time and didn't ask for their ipods once while we were there. The natural setting and great food made it a wonderful family lunch. We will definitely be returning.Special Features:
- our first time..honeyofabearDined on 6/18/2013Great relaxing atmosphere - food was awesome, would go back to try difference dishes - only complaint, service was not the greatest!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love SouthOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/16/2013I love South. Great food, great atmosphere. Love the outdoor seating area. Love the basil daisy margaritas. Love that there is a new location in Wenatchee so we don't have to drive all the way to Leavenworth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a good first impression...OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/11/2013I had read reviews on South and it sounded great. We made reservations a couple weeks before going to Leavenworth - they were having Maifest and it was Mother's Day weekend. As we expected the restaurant was super busy what we didn't know was that the air conditioning was out of service due to some remodeling. South was extremely hot and muggy - very uncomfortable. They did give us the option to sit outside but it was be another 1/2 hour wait. No deal with my 9 year old daughter "I'm starving"! So we had to suffer through the heat. The servers were overwhelmed and came over to us infrequently but when the food finally came it was good. Overall it was a miserable experience but I would try it again because the food was actually good.Special Features:
- We were pleased with the overallOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/7/2013We were pleased with the overall experience and especially enjoyed the green beans appetizer.Special Features:
- South never disappoints!SteveVIPDined on 3/28/2013South never disappoints! The mixed corn & flour chips & salsa bar is something I look forward to each time I'm there. Had a great burrito and a couple of cold local beers with a good friend. The place was quite full and lively for a Thursday night in late spring -- which is normally a slow time in town. South is a locals favorite and we take full advantage when tourist crowds are down.Special Features:
- Great place in Leavenworth!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/9/2013Great place to bring all in any kind of attire. Fun and festive. Can bring kids comfortably or a date.Special Features:
- Nice but not outstanding....OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/2/2013Good food with so so service. As in most tourist traps, the service was mediocre. I often feel locals in these types of locations either do not understand the value of service or just do not care because people are going to come anyways. We had the tacos and the Stinger margarita. Both were very good. It is tough to get a table here so make sure to get a reservation. Thanks Open Table!Special Features:
- We live in Wenatchee, withOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/1/2013We live in Wenatchee, with a lot of great Mexican food, and drive to South for a little more upscale Mexican. It's a busy spot, so booking a reservation online is the way to go -- every time we've walked right in to sit down at our table. Love the green beans, carne asada quesadilla, revolution shrimp burritoSpecial Features:
- Food and service was great.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/23/2013Food and service was great. It's noisy in there, not a place to go for quiet or chit chat. More of a party atmosphere.Special Features:
- A great place to connect over foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/17/2013As always, the food was prepared with fresh materials. We were seated right away due to our reservation, but noticed that others without a reservation were being told there could be up to a 1.5 hour wait. Excellent selection of salsas to go with the chips we ordered while enjoying their trademark basil margaritas. Then dinner--all four of us commented on how interesting and tasty our meals were. Service was just right--prompt and responsive but not hovering.Special Features:
- We love south! The the food,OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/14/2013We love south! The the food, service, and atmosphere are all outstanding.Special Features:
- We chose SOUTH because ofOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/1/2013We chose SOUTH because of the music. Wasn't quite as lively as I anticpiated, but very good over all. The food was excellent, and the service was even better. Would eat here again on our next visit to LeavenworthSpecial Features:
- our waitress was very disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/20/2013our waitress was very disappointing did not seem to care one way or another if we were there. No pleasantries were exchanged she was just going through the motions. we were disappointed.
- When in Leavenworth, you needkellymDined on 1/20/2013When in Leavenworth, you need to eat at South at least once. It's our favorite spot, and they always live up to our expectations! Definitely get the flour chips and guac!Special Features:
- First time there, great lookingcbandbbDined on 1/20/2013First time there, great looking food choices, Very busy, glad we had reservations. Food was very good. Like the mole sauce.Special Features:
- One to skipOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 12/31/2012We dined here New Year's Eve, looking for a change of pace from the usual (though fantastic) German food in the area. Overall, this was a terrible experience and we couldn't get out fast enough. The Latin food was flavorless and lacking real spice. Habanero shrimp? Not remotely hot. Carnitas plate? Bland as can be. Mole ribs? Unseasoned ribs slathered in yucky pasty sauce. This does not even rate with any of the semi-decent places for similar food in Seattle. And though the waitress made us feel well taken care of, we were seated directly next to a table that had a couple of screaming children, and ten minutes into our meal another table with a baby was sat next to us as well, and the baby screamed through the entire meal.
- Leavenworth's BestKGEatsVIPDined on 12/31/2012South is the best restuarnt in the area! The food is fresh and creative. The waitstaff knows the menu well and takes great care of their customers.Special Features:
- Live Music and Good FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/28/2012Went with a large group on a Friday night and it was perfect. The food is a bit overpriced, but it is very tasty.Special Features:
- Baja Christmas DinnerkyraEricDined on 12/22/2012Tons of Holiday Cheer and Festivities going on, Christmas Lights and Sledding. Warm Tacos and Holiday Cheers, Good Menu for kids (we had 2 in our party of 6) We felt a lil' rushed but not horrible. Just a packed house for the Holiday Season. Tiny Tacos are a great way to sample MANY of the delicious flavors. The Sweet Potato Fries are amazing!Special Features:
- In a touristy area like Leavenworthjwm1952VIPDined on 12/22/2012In a touristy area like Leavenworth , Washington this was a great choice. Very good Southern Hemisphere food. Excellent spicing. Loud.Special Features:
- Give your review a title (optional)OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/17/2012Nice place with fresh ingredients. Tried the flour chips and they were good, although they were just tortillas in squares and fried. Had the carne Asada quesadilla and it was quite pleasing. The server was attentive and the food arrived quickly. The main drawback is the price. $19 for a quesadilla is a lot. The overall bill for 2 people without alcohol was over $50. It wasn't worth that much, but maybe in Leavenworth that's the going rate.
- Savor the SouthOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/10/2012We came in on a Saturday evening to an 1.5 hour wait. Ten minutes later the hostess found us seats which was great. Smallish restaurant and the waitress was outstanding and very relaxed. The food was good. More authentic than what we expected. Love the candle on the table. Believe it or not great place for fries as well.Special Features:
- Will Return AgainOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/1/2012Food and service were excellent! Great vegetarian choices! We were there on tree-lighting weekend, so it was a little crazy with lots of people. We arrived 10 minutes early, but they had our table ready and we zoomed past the group of folks waiting for a table.Special Features:
- Interesting food, not yourOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/3/2012Interesting food, not your typical Mexican restaurant. Butternut squash enchiladas, make their own flour chips (amazing), plantain burritos. I personally would like more spice in the food, I had their spiciest item the habanero shrimp burrito. It was barely spicy. If you like interesting blends of flavors, this is for you. The margaritas are small, and expensive, but if you are into trying a basil margarita then it is a great choice. It is small and very loud, but the locals love it. This review sounds like I didn't like it, but I am just trying to let you know what to expect and not expect.Special Features:
- Food and drinks were all veryOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/26/2012Food and drinks were all very tasty! We enjoyed every item we tried, especially the ones that had poblano cream sauce.Special Features:
- DarlingSDarDined on 10/24/2012A great neighborhood find, very pleasant and helpful wait staff. Excellent food with a Latin flair, to-die-for Daisy-basil margaritas. Our go-to place when we want to skip the German influence in this fun, rustic tourist location.Special Features:
- The menu was great. Food wasOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/23/2012The menu was great. Food was great. We were all surprised at the prices though...we thought it was too expensive for what we got. Especially not including chips and salsa.Special Features:
- This is the third time I haveOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/29/2012This is the third time I have had the pleasure of dining at South. The restaurant is capable of handling any size group with advance notice. We have always been sitted fast and the food is worth the trip. The waiters have all been great and accommodating.Special Features:
- South can be inconsistantOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/14/2012South can be inconsistant and the portions seem to be getting smaller.....please keep up the standards.
- Fabulous place to goDeborahDined on 8/31/2012This is a place we never miss going to when we're in town. It's just plain fun to go there. The food is always fabulous and the wait staff is very attentive. We had a group of 5 on this visit and sat outside in their courtyard - what a perfect evening. It's nice knowing you can take friends who have never been there and they will be delighted with the food and the restaurant. I highly recommend this restaurant!Special Features:
- Server was not attentive wouldOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/26/2012Server was not attentive would have purchased another drink. He seemed to need to chat with other servers and watch himself in the mirror.Special Features:
- We always love the food andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/24/2012We always love the food and the service is top notch. Both indoor and outdoor dinning is cramped but the overall decor and atmosphere is what makes SOUTH a hot spot with great food and music.Special Features:
- The Fajitas were warm at bestOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/22/2012The Fajitas were warm at best after reheating and not sizzling, and the seafood enchilada was cold. The tortilla soup was barely warm and not enough of it. The kids nachos were very good with the chicken.Special Features:
- Food always good and freshOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/15/2012Food always good and fresh served with flair. My favorite dining stop for anytime and special family gatherings.Special Features:
- Great food! Making a reservationOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/4/2012Great food! Making a reservation is definitely the way to go.
- Argentinean steak with friesOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/1/2012Argentinean steak with fries is da bomb! Great chimichurri sauce. Only complaint is that the regular table knifes are BLUNT! The edges have been ground off. However, the steak was so tender that the blunt knifes cut right through it. Asked for steak knives which should have been provided with the steak. The fries were crisp and hot.Special Features:
- The food and service wereOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/28/2012The food and service were fantastic, this was my fourth time there and it was just as great as always! I will be back for sure! People in our party have food allergies and they were more than willing to work with us, which is a huge deal for us!Special Features:
- I have dined at this restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/2/2012I have dined at this restaurant on numerous occasions and have enjoyed the food. On this night I was disappointed in my meal. The dish I chose was bland and over cooked. Additionally I thought the cost of my meal was over priced. Not sure I will return to the restaurant again.
- My Favorite Place In LeavenworthOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/30/2012Love this place! One of the few places in Leavenworth that does not serve German food. Ambiance is quaint and special.Special Features: