1119 West Taylor
Chicago, IL 60607Neighborhood:
Little Italy / University Village
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.chezjoelbistro.com/
- Phone: 3122266479
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Saturday: 11:00AM to 4:00PM
Tuesday - Thursday: 4:00PM to 10:00PM
Friday & Saturday: 4:30PM to 11:00PM
Sunday: 3:00PM to 9:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Joel Kazouini
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, High Tea, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: Please Join us for New Year's Eve 2 Hours four course price fix menu $75 Glass of Sparkling and Party Favors
A word from Chez Joel
In the midst of Little Italy, Chez Joel creates the tastes and aromas of France. Featuring traditional favorites, Chef joel Kazouini offers his straightforward, expertly prepared Southern French cuisine. Chez Joel’s atmosphere is reminiscent of a true French bistro; its walls adorned with French posters and tables covered with butcher paper. The cozy environment makes Chez Joel the perfect spot for any romantic meal, and when weather permits, garden tables offer an open-air experience where you’ll find one of the most divine al fresco dining settings in the city.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
Chez Joel reviews from OpenTable diners
123 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (88)romantic (74)great for outdoor dining (69)special occasion (61)fit for foodies (47)notable wine list (26)great for lunch (21)great for brunch (12)good for groups (8)scenic view (7)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (4)hot spot (3)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- French in an Italian NeighborhoodLoriKVIPDined on 6/12/2014We love Chez Joel. Tucked away in Little Italy on Taylor Street, surrounded by Italian restaurants, you find Chez Joel. Food is very good and very Bistro French. Great atmosphere! Menu is varied but something for everyone. Would say for everyone to give it a try!! Valet Parking and a nice wine list!Special Features:
- so glad we found this placegreatDined on 6/7/2014we love it! we have been here twice this month to enjoy the outdoor garden and are so happy we found it! Chez Joel is a gem in Little Italy and we will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date night!JasonPDined on 6/7/2014My partner and I have been to Chez Joel 4 times in the past 3 months. Having recently moved to this area of the city and dining at the local restaurants, Chez Joel has most certainly become one of our favorites for consistency in food and service. It's one of those restaurants that every time I dine I make a point to try something different..each time never disappointing. It's a frech restaurant with out the french attitude if that makes sense? This past experience I had the halibut special and my partner had the filet mignon. My fish was top notch and I didn't want the last bite to be the last bite. The Pear-is martini is a must-have as well! Service is very good..can be a bit slow when at full capacity..but hey..who cares!Special Features:
- Such a great placeLSFChicGoDined on 6/6/2014Wonderful food, great server, loved every minute. Had their beet salad and kobia fish special and both were delicious. Can't go wrong with steak either. The apple tart for dessert and the profiteroles were great too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A real findMichaelKVIPDined on 6/5/2014Chez Joel was recommended to us by a colleague who lives and works in Chicago. We do not. This was our second trip in as many months to Chez Joel -- all three of us liked it that much. It is a wonderful neighborhood restaurant with French bistro food that matches many more expensive, fancier restaurants. We will have one more trip to Chicago for work in July -- we will return to this fabulous little place. This visit the restaurant was serving outdoors as well as in. We had not seen the outdoors on the first visit. It is a welcoming space.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/4/2014The food was fine but the service was poor. The restaurant was not busy - we had to ask and wait for a long time for extra bread. There was no reason given for the wait and there weren't many guests so we couldn't understand the problem.Special Features:
- new neighborhood favoritejessDined on 5/31/2014i've been meaning to try this place for awhile and finally did last saturday. my mom was in town visiting my sister & i. we had a late lunch elsewhere, so dinner reservations were at 8:30 pm. i wasn't very hungry and it had been a long day, so we didn't order wine or the whole works. just an entree (and i had an appetizer + salad). then dessert, of course. all so so so incredibly tasty, high quality. the people are very pleasant (even when i ordered just water!). creme brulee is to-die-for, along with the apple tart. scallops = awesome. seafood pasta = awesome. salads = awesome. my new neighborhood favorite!Special Features:
- Poetry of PlaceMacyDined on 5/31/2014I dine there every time I am in Chicago, at least once a year. The staff, both at the bar and tables, treat you like they know you, even if they don't, and the food is reliably good. I am always pleasantly surprised at how much I like a new wine I try; and the educated variety of wines are very reasonably priced. It would take a romantic poet to adequately describe the intimate neighborhood restaurant's comfortable character; to me it just feels exactly right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FrenchReviewerDined on 5/31/2014A great French bistro. We have dined here twice now and enjoyed coq au vin and steak frites. We really liked it and would definitely recommend a visit. Our waiter was very attentive as well. The outdoor patio was perfect for a warm Saturday evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappoints!eaterholicVIPDined on 5/30/2014Dining al fresco in the patio was extremely pleasant in the beginning of the summer. Wild mushroom soup, caesar salad, grilled salmon, seared ahi tuna, and creme brûlée were all terrific. The cocktails were refreshing too. Very professional service.Special Features:
- A Real FinddavidwVIPDined on 5/29/2014This restaurant is a bit off the beaten path as it's located in Little Italy, a bit outside the downtown area. But, it's easily accessible on the Blue Line from anywhere in the loop, and well worth the short trip. A friend described this as a "sweet little restaurant" and it's definitely that. The food is excellent, the service is professional, and the restaurant lends itself to good conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 590 reviews are from the Chez Joel reviews archive.
- Chez JoelSatisfriedDined on 5/18/2014Sea Bass was excellent. Ny Strip Steak haS some grizzle but overall a very pleasant eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific MealMichaelKVIPDined on 5/18/2014We are visiting from out of town and got a recommendation to try Chez Joel from a Chicago-based friend. What a wonderful recommendation. We will return. Food, service and ambience all were excellent. Except for the English being spoken around us, it felt like a small bistro in Paris. Two of us shared the fabulous coq a vin, and one of us had steak frites. Both entrees were terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Lovely!TchurDined on 5/17/2014Great neighborhood restaurant with exceptional food and service! I always look forward to dining here; the food is delicious, the staff is professional yet warm, and the setting is cozy and romantic. Great for date night or small, intimate groups. A favorite.Special Features:
- Wonderful find!GubbiniDined on 5/17/2014I am almost hesitant to recommend Chez Joel. Selfishly, I would like it to remain a secret! We dined here on a Saturday evening. The menu includes classic French cuisine but offers a nice range of options. My husband had steak frites; I had the salmon special although I was sorely tempted to try the bouillabaisse. My husband's steak was a perfect medium rare and the "frites" were slender and crisp, without being over-cooked or over-salted. My salmon was a perfect medium, served over julienned vegetables with fresh peas, brussel sprouts. The scallops appetizer was exceptional; the creme brulee for dessert was creamy and not overly sweet. Service was attentive without being fussy. Ambience allowed for a pleasant conversation. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Favorite RestaurantDartyDined on 5/17/2014This is my favorite restaurant in Chicago! I have been there many times and each time we have had a wonderful meal! The drinks are delicious! The service is great! We brought our friends with there for the first time and they loved it. We each had a different meal and everyone loved their meals thoroughly. Each meal was cooked to perfection and my filet exactly what I asked for. The portions are a perfect amount. The ambience is great for talking in a relaxing, quaint atmosphere. I can't wait to go back and sit on the beautiful patio!! Thank you Chez Joel for a wonderful meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great French bistrot foodshanghaijbDined on 5/16/2014Went for dinner for 2. Ordered the snails as a starter. I hadn't had snails in a long time and was quite pleased with them. The duck breast and confit dish was good, even though the duck breast was disappointing: it was tiny and very chewy. However the duck confit was well prepared and the sides that came with that dish were well done. Service was very attentive and caring. The restaurant atmosphere is cozy and feels like a Parisian home. Overall, we had a very good time, prices were fair, and we will definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best in ChicagoRonneVIPDined on 5/15/2014I go here often, for lunch and for dinner - never have a bad meal. When I take people who have never been, they are amazed that they ever heard of this terrific place. Superior service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnjoyableOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/9/2014Went with my girl friend and we absolutely loved it, will definitely be going back. We had the Lamb, and the butternut squash ravioli, both were incredible. For appetizers we enjoyed the pate, and escargot. Again, both were very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First visitdrsax55Dined on 5/9/2014My family and I were celebrating my son's graduation from Loyola University-Chicago and Chez Joel turned out to be an excellent find, and an excellent choice. We appreciated the personable service from the start and that continued through dessert, when Alek was presented a personal creme brulee, with a candle. We began with the house Manhattans for appetizers and salad, including the daily special of roasted beets. We were then directed by our server to a wine that complemented our varied entrees - fish, duck, and two different lamb dishes. The entire meal was delicious, and the service from multiple staff was accommodating and not overly solicitous, making for a perfect celebration of a momentous event in our family.Special Features:
- Excellent choiceJps100Dined on 5/9/2014Great food and service. I have a minor hearing problem so thought it was a little noisySpecial Features:
- Old favoritenonameDined on 5/7/2014I have been to Chez Joel many times and it is always a pleasure. Pretty, cozy setting, appealing presentation, great food, friendly knowledgeable staff. And so French!!Special Features:
- Delicious!HibicueDined on 5/3/2014One of the most pleasing dining experiences. The food was so rich and delicious and the service was wonderful. Can't wait to come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best anniversary ever!!CstacyVIPDined on 4/22/2014We went here to celebrate our anniversary and it was wonderful! Food was great and we were treated very special! It's our go to place for great food and to celebrate special events.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Coq au VinCPCyVIPDined on 4/18/2014The Coq au Vin prepared in the classica tradition was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent food and serviceEmilyDined on 4/12/2014The food was delicious and uncomplicated. The wine list is short, but has many good bottles to choose from. Great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfectflintDined on 4/5/2014one of the best dining experiences I've ever had. The waiter service: the ambiance everything about it was perfect for a date night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Jewel on TaylorJillVIPDined on 4/4/2014We were looking for a spot to fine before the Bulls game. Saw Chez Joel on Chicago's Best and decided to give it a try. Food was very good. Everything cooked to perfection. Great service and lovely bottle of champagne to go with our meal. Great experience and looking forward to returning again soon. Prices are very reasonable for the quality of food offered.Special Features:
- Cool little bistro.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/4/2014My wife and I enjoyed the excellent food from the mushroom soup and beet salad to the bouillabaisse and filet mignon. Dessert was also wonderful (crème brulee and almond gateau.) Service was very good, ambiance made us feel we were back in Paris. A real gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy FrenchCanelleDined on 4/2/2014A comfortable small French spot on Italian Taylor street. Had an excellent filet mignon. Husband wishes he had ordered mine. He had other steak on menu which was just average. The brie appetizer was just ok. Crème brûlée very good. Nice lighting. Easy to converse quietly even after a big group came in. Very pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great choice for a nice datemunchieDined on 3/29/2014Great date spot! Food, service and wine was a delight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chez Joel at it's best!goodtimesDined on 3/29/2014Chez Joel is a great dining experience. The food was amazing, service great, and the ambience was great! We had been there 3 times before-this by far was the best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good Authentic French Cuisine!tchellimDined on 3/26/2014Mussels were outstanding . . as was the Pate! Beef was perfectly done. Would recommend for good french cuisineSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still excellent!hlchicaDined on 3/23/2014What is there to say, but that the food, service, and ambience are very good to excellent?--This is a French bistro *par excellence*--a wonderful place to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We have been frequent dinersOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/18/2014We have been frequent diners at Chez Joel and were never disappointed in the food quality or service. Last Tuesday the noise level was abnormally high as a large group of diners were extremely loud, an unfortunate thing that is out of the control of the restaurant.Special Features:
- a little dip in servicemkchicagoDined on 3/18/2014Food was excellent as always. But service left a bit wanting. Our server seemed to forget about us for oh, about 20 minutes or so. At first I thought he was being sensitive to our "catching up" with each other, but then....when he was buzzing around tables adjacent, didn't know what to make of it. I did toast my friend's bday, which led to an unsolicited celebratory dessert, so he gets props for that. But overall, the service was not what I have had on previous visits. Again, food was EXCELLENT.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SpotdinnerpalsDined on 3/5/2014Reasonable pricing, good food, cozy atmosphere. Menu has a nice variety for all tastes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ravioli au Courge to Die forChicagoCDined on 2/25/2014My husband took me to Chez Joel on the weeknight of my birthday. Surprisingly got to speak some French with the host, wait staff were polite and helpful. We ordered the scallops (like eating delicious clouds), the broccoli puree (decent), the salmon (damn good) and the ravioli au courge (so delicious we had to send our compliments to the chef twice before leaving). Complimentary birthday glass of ice cream and strawberries - a simple and kind gesture.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZING!etaylormcpVIPDined on 2/22/2014I cannot say enough about Chez Joel. The food was wonderful, the service was the best I have had in a very long time, and the pricing was very reasonable for this kind of experience. Chez Joel is at the top of my recent finds in Chicago and I will be returning as often as possible. Absolutely wonderful experience. My wife is vegetarian and I am an alpha carnivore. It is hard to find places where we both have a truly fantastic experience. Chez Joel definitely worked in that regard the Risotto was amazing for her and I of course had a steak and frites. We paired the cheese plate which was wonderful with the Semillon it was perfect. I can't think of a better place for "date night".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good bistroshuvalkinDined on 2/21/2014Afficianados of low key French bistros will be happy with Cez Joel. Those who don't have a lot of experience with French bistros will probably want to know that the atmosphere is classy and intimate... a good place for quiet conversations over some very well prepared standards of French cuisine. Good place for a casual (but classy) meal, a date, or renewing acquaintance with an old friend from out of town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.