Russell House Tavern
14 JFK Street
Cambridge, MA 02138Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Russell House Tavern
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://russellhousecambridge.com/
- Phone: 6175003055x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday: 10:00am - 4:00pm Sunday: 10:00am - 4:00pm;
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm;
Dinner: Nightly: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Thomas Borgia
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Russell House Tavern offers a variety of Private Dining experiences. Please email our private events coordinator for more information.
- Private Party Contact: Courtney Wentworth 6175003055x
A word from Russell House Tavern
Russell House Tavern continues the Harvard Square tradition of local enterprise as a New American Tavern serving seasonally-inspired, classic dishes from New England and beyond. An inviting, multi-level space adorned with vintage photographs of the Square, Russell House Tavern specializes in artisanal fare served alongside carefully hand-crafted cocktails and a distinctive collection of all-American wines and craft beers.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Russell House Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
191 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (87)good for groups (68)neighborhood gem (68)vibrant bar scene (67)hot spot (51)great for brunch (43)great for outdoor dining (43)special occasion (39)great for lunch (38)late-night find (35)romantic (32)kid-friendly (13)notable wine list (9)scenic view (1)Show More
- Catching UpLlamaDined on 5/31/2014It was a good place to catch up with friends and sharing news over a good meal and fine serviceSpecial Features:
- Great service and good foodBiketoeatDined on 5/31/2014Had a good meal. The server was very helpful dealing with my dietary issues. The Berkshire Pork plate was excellent on 2 out of the 3 items. The pork loin was tough, but the shoulder and belly were fabulous. One friend complained that the salad was overdressed. I agreed but liked the dressing so was okay with it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for special occasionsSkidinerDined on 5/30/2014Went for a special occasion dinner, and it was very good. Wide variety of items on the menu, so there was something for everyone. It was a bit too dark inside, but other than that, a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Downstairs at the TavernOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/29/2014Street level the Tavern looks like any other nice place to nip in for a brew but the serious dinning takes place one flight below.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing flavorsWomenWhoMeanBusinessVIPDined on 5/24/2014Shared four plates between two of us - incredible flavor combinations. Plus wonderful service. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, but dim lightingRB10Dined on 5/24/2014I went to Russell House Tavern for brunch. The food was great, but I sat in downstairs dining room and the lighting was very dim. It was difficult to see the menu and the friends I was with. This lighting may have been appropriate for dinner, but I would have preferred a more vibrant atmosphere for brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Before the playcarlosDined on 5/21/2014When I arrived 6pm, I told the maître d' that we had a play at 7:30 and that it was my partners birthday, so whatever dessert we ordered, I would like a candle. They said no problem and would inform the waiter. The waiter was very helpful with beverage selections and information regarding the food. My cocktail was very good as was the food. The issue is that we ran out of time, and couldn't order dessert without being late for the play. That was disappointing, and keeps this from being a rave review. That being said, the waiter was pleasant and apologized, and the food we had was excellent.Special Features:
- great pub fooddininginportlandDined on 5/18/2014food was delicious - the fries were excellent, as was the burger and the sandwich. The caesar salad was not as flavorful as I would like (I like the dressing to pack a punch), and the lunch menu is a little small. The cocktails sounded excellent, but we didn't order any.Special Features:
- Good place!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/18/2014The brunch was fabulous, and their hollandaise sauce is VERY good!Special Features:
- Always a hit!SarebearDined on 5/17/2014The arctic char here is so delicious! We always love the meals we get here, and are usually able to get a table pretty quickly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReliableJohnDined on 5/16/2014It performs well across the board. I don't crave the food or wax poetic about Russell House, but Russell House has yet to disappoint me. It's good for a sit-down lunch or dinner in Harvard Square.Special Features:
- Great mothers' day brunchstrassDined on 5/11/2014Our family (2 kids 10 and 12) went to RHT for Mothers' Day Brunch, and had a great time... service was great, food was excellent -- Nutella stuffed French Toast! Kids were very comfortable and had no trouble finding something they wanted from the menu. We'll definitely be going back.Special Features:
- Great brunch, Blase servicePeterDined on 5/11/2014We took my mother-in-law for Mother's Day brunch. All our dishes were excellent; a variety of lunch and breakfast dishes. The "Anti-Benedict" was very tasty, as was the burger. And a great beer selection, too. Service was so-so. That has been our experience a few times at this restaurant. Great food, but the service (host and wait staff) was good, but the staff do not go "out of their way" to be hospitable. For the kind of vibe the restaurant puts out, with a pricey menu and good food, you expect professional service, not a "just OK" host or a server who who forgets our drinks and doesn't keep us updated during a very long wait for the food. Staff is a bit blase.Special Features:
- RHTFortheloveoffoodDined on 5/11/2014Great Brunch! A frequenter here..always pleased. The bloody marys are some of the best around!Special Features:
- Perfect for brunchmisspamDined on 5/11/2014Had a Mothers day celebration brunch. Service was great- food delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a disastereverhopefulDined on 5/5/2014We ordered what we were told was "fish of the day". What turned up was a small slab of something, burned at the edges and curling gently. It was inedible. Could we describe what it was "resting" on? No. When after trying to eat this we gave up and complained to the waiter, the kitchen sent out as recompense an equally inedible piece of cake. What a dreadful experience
- Fun brunchramonamvDined on 5/4/2014We had a perfect experience at The Russell House Tavern for a Sunday brunch. The cocktail menu looked amazing, but we all stuck to coffee and water. We tried the omelet of the day, French Toast and a breakfast pizza. All were delicious. My home fries were lukewarm bordering on cold, and my toast was dry and tasteless, but those were the only flaws. It's a loud, fun place. Our table was ready for us and the service was friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Like the AmbianceSimpyAMDVIPDined on 5/3/2014Made late night dinner reservations for a Saturday night as we like to see what the scene is like for after dinner. We sat downstairs, but on a nice night, which it was, I would have liked to sit upstairs near the open windows- next time. Oysters were fresh, we had a good Cab Franc (don't see many of those on the menus) and it was delish. Oysters were fresh and our entree's excellent. It was a very nice dinner with good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently DeliciousGloveDined on 5/3/2014Russell House Tavern is always consistently satisfying. All of our food was delicious and the service was great. I have some food sensitivities and the waitress was really considerate about it. I sometimes feel like I'm being annoying when ordering and making special requests, but she was very accommodating. She also heard my boyfriend mention that it was my birthday and at the end of the meal she brought out 3 scoops of sorbet with a candle in it. It was the only dessert that didn't have any dairy in it. She went out of her way to make the meal more special while still fitting in with my dietary restrictions. It was very much appreciated! And also always, their cocktails were amazing. The only bad thing was that they were out of Hendricks!Special Features:
- Nice brunchyumyumDined on 5/3/2014Small menu options - but all executed very well. Some of the options are 'interesting' (green beans with red onion in an omelette), but delicious. Good bloody mary's and great staff. Although a request was added in the OpenTable reservation process for a table near a window or outside - our table was in the basement at the back corner near the kitchen, even though there was significant space upstairs. With that, I would recommend calling the restaurant to verify the request if you try to do the same. Overall great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pleasant brunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/3/2014We enjoyed attentive service and delicious food outside on a beautiful day in Harvard Square!Special Features:
- Go for the atmospherekswenDined on 5/1/2014Russel House Tavern has a great atmosphere and energy about it. We went for a graduation dinner and were disappointed about the food for the price. I wouldn't go back for a nice dinner, but I would love to return for beer and appetizers at the bar to watch a Bruins game.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Brunch but NOISY!emurphy625VIPDined on 4/26/2014We went for brunch with our three kids. Food was delicious, service was great, and atmosphere was nice. But we could hardly hear each other. The high ceilings made for a loud echo and we had to almost yell at 11am to hear each other. I can only imagine it would get louder in the evening. I'd go back again, but without the kids.Special Features:
- Favorite spot in Cambridge!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/26/2014I love everything about this place! They have delicious food and they care about their sourcing habits! I'm not 21 quite yet, but next month Russell House will certainly be one of the first spots I go to for drinks . . . their cocktails look fantastic! The Pan Seared Atlantic Char is amazing, and the Slow Cooked Chicken, as well as the crispy Pork Belly Sandwich and the Sprout Pizza. The brunch menu's breakfast pizza is to die for delicious as well as the anti-benedict. I've obviously been a few times - I love the food, the people, and then environment they've created. I can't wait to go back :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd visit disappointsOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 4/24/2014We were excited to be returning to Russell Tavern but our 2nd visit didn't quite meet our expectations mostly because we had to wait too long for our food...people around us who ordered later were served earlier and our waiter became defensive when asked about it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Russell House TavernCookandDinerDined on 4/24/2014Imaginative Menu, well executed and delicious, friendly service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bring earplugsquietudeDined on 4/16/2014While the menu at the Russell House is not particularly inventive, there are some appealing choices -- the arctic char salade nicoise (pronounced niswa by the server, tsk tsk), dirty caesar, and tuna tartar. Cooked foods are oversalted, especially the burgers. The noise level becomes intolerable even at lunch if the place is full, because all the surfaces are hard; worse at dinner when people are drinking too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodCeliciaSDined on 4/14/2014My friends and I had the mussels and pizza, and neither disappointed. The mushroom and leek pizza is a particular favourite since I had it the first time, and I keep coming back to it. The noise level was quite high, but with the open window right next to us, it helped with being able to hear each other and have a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great stuff, great foodluv2dineDined on 4/13/2014I've eaten at Russell House Tavern a few times for dinner but never had brunch there until this past Sunday. The food was great - simple yet tasty, and nothing too out of the ordinary. Excellent Virgin Bloody Mary's! The wait staff are fun, engaging and make you feel like you're a regular.Special Features:
- Instant FavoriteDHBOSTONVIPDined on 4/12/2014We have been meaning to go to Russel House Tavern for some time and finally did it. The food was fantastic and it will be a place we go to many times over. The service was really good and very attentive and helpful with options.Special Features:
- Good food in Harvard SquaredocjenVIPDined on 4/9/2014Warm, hip atmosphere and good food in Harvard Square. It's hard to find in those parts! Russell House is a gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best anniversary brunch!JVbrunchDined on 4/6/2014My boyfriend and I met at Russell House, and wanted to celebrate our anniversary by going to Russell House for brunch, the place where it all began! We were very pleased that we sat at the very same table where we had our first date. Brian, our server, was fantastic. He truly made our meal enjoyable, and made us feel special and welcomed. Each time he came back to check in on us,he asked if there was anything else he could do to make our meal more special. He even brought us each a glass of champagne, on the house! The hostesses even wished us a happy anniversary on our way out the door! We truly appreciated these gestures, and will definitely be dining at Russell House again soon, and we'll be excited to see Brian again!Special Features:
- russel houselbjgarnerDined on 4/5/2014Food was average. I love kale but Russell House's creamed kale was not good. The crab cakes didn't taste like real crab and were tasteless. Too noisy to talk.
- So loud!amifahmyDined on 4/4/2014We were only a party of four and had to shout to hear each other. Not my idea of a fun dinner I'm afraid. Not their fault obviously but that's what the place is like in general
- Russell House is noisy, crowdedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/2/2014Russell House is noisy, crowded and overbooked even with reservations. I felt dinner was overcooked and the distance between our table and the diners at the next tables was nonexistent and disconcerting.
- First Night in BostoneleaflenaDined on 3/31/2014I arrived in the early afternoon and was so tired I barely wanted to go to dinner from my hotel. I got to Russell House and the hostesses were pretty nice, they seated me at my table and my server came over. She was super friendly and welcoming, and made me feel comfortable. I was there by myself which can sometimes be lonely but this place was great if you're alone. The food was great, the mashed potatoes were delicious. I'd definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this casual gourmet pubDianeVIPDined on 3/31/2014This was our first time at Russell House and we loved it. Had small plates so we could sample a number of intersting items and they were all great. Our server was friendly and very attentive. Can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ERRATIC WAITER SERVICEOysterloverDined on 3/30/2014Ordered Tuna Tartare appetizer and our brunch entrees, the food was good, I waited our Tuna never showed up so we ate our food, but while I ask for my check the Tuna showed up, and we even had any utensils at our table, since we'd finished long ago!
- Great sandwichJennDined on 3/29/2014I had the pork loin sandwich - truly an indulgence. You might only get through half do it because it is so savory. The portion was pretty good. Had it with 1/2 salad and 1/2 fries. The apple in the sandwich is a great touch (both texture and sweetness).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Came with a large group forOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/26/2014Came with a large group for dinner. Took forever for our waiter to come by, then to get drinks then for food to arrive. He seemed like he was just tired and wanted to go home, but poor manner. Food was mostly poor. My duck was well cooked and tasty, but nothing it came with was any good, just some thick mush that was supposed to be a bean puree and halved artichokes from a jar. The "arctic char" was actually some sort of tough and overcooked bass or yellowfin, not sure exactly but it most certainly was NOT arctic char. Sunchoke soup was much too sweet, and the drinks were weak. To their credit they promptly fixed a mixed up drink order and took it off our bill. Dessert was pretty tasty. Upstairs bar area is much nicer and more interesting.Special Features: