The Prime Rib
1701 Locust Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
The Prime Rib
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.theprimerib.com/
- Phone: 2157721701
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Eddy Castillo
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live Piano and Bass
A word from The Prime Rib
Gargantuan cuts of prime beef, extra thick chops, and simply prepared fresh seafood are the straightforward offerings of this steakhouse that evokes the supper clubs of Manhattan in the 1940's. Leopard print carpeting, black lacquered walls trimmed in brass and tuxedoed waiters complete the elegant atmosphere, featuring live piano and bass nightly. Dress code is business casual.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
The Prime Rib - Best Restaurants in Center City ›
The Prime Rib reviews from OpenTable diners
253 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (193)romantic (167)fit for foodies (92)good for groups (69)notable wine list (69)neighborhood gem (50)vibrant bar scene (23)hot spot (19)late-night find (13)great for lunch (9)great for brunch (7)scenic view (5)kid-friendly (5)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- Great Tasting FoodMeatRobDined on 9/16/2014Beautiful restaurant with excellent food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ConsistentjdmmemDined on 9/16/2014Prime Rib was excellent. Ate at the bar. Joe provided great service. When in Philly for the summer (snowbird) I go here at least once or twice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- restaurant weekmfpsr63Dined on 9/16/2014The restaurant week menu excellent. My server was polite and person able, though I heard him use the same lines at every table in his area. He revisited the table once right after the food was brought to the table and when desert was delivered . He noticed we didn't have knives, but then never brought them so I had to ask for a steak knife again.He failed to deliver my 2nd glass of wine and our water glasses were never refilled. He also dropped the check off in the middle of the meal. I hope it was just the restaurant week that got the best of him. Thankfully the food came out perfect and my one glass of wine and water lasted (barely) through the meal. Since the food tasted great, I will give then a 2nd try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!NickDined on 9/16/2014I took my friends there during restaurant week. Everything was amazing: food, service, atmosphere. The server Tony was really attentive and made the whole experience remarkable. I will definitely be back.Special Features:
- DorothyVIPDined on 9/16/2014The prime rib is excellent--better than any other steak house.Special Features:
- SucculentPerfectSteakDined on 9/15/2014Everything I ate tasted absolutely Superb. Steak cooked to perfection, side were all freshly cooked. 1 downfall, my ceaser salad was wilted.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice SettingsamyDined on 9/15/2014Went for a birthday. Live piano music. Wasn't too busy, quiet, elegant setting. Low-lit ambiance. Service was quick and easy. Went for restaurant week. They played happy birthday on the piano for me as well. I had a nice dining experience.Special Features:
- Will be back!!Foodie82VIPDined on 9/14/2014I haven’t been to Prime Rib in some time but it still has lived up to its excellent standards… great service and excellent food. I went with a group of five and we had an amazing evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dining ExperienceBonnieVIPDined on 9/14/2014This restaurant was a great from the service to the food and the atmosphere. I would reccommend this establishment to anyone seeking a great dining experience....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awful ServiceyuckyDined on 9/13/2014Waited over an hour for main course. Salad drowned in dressing. Terrible service. Treated like second class citizens because we ordered off the restaurant week menu which all felt like smaller portions.Special Features:
- JohnVIPDined on 9/13/2014Steak did not compare to other philly or new york restaurants. The Brazillian lobster tail was awful. Disappointing. Although service was exceptional and addressed the issue in a professional and caring mannerSpecial Features:
- Elegant DiningGooseCowboyVIPDined on 9/13/2014I loved the potato skins, clams casino, and escargot as appetizers. The lobster bisque was great. Our waiter, Carlos, gave us excellent service. The piano music completed the ambiance. I am looking forward to our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/13/2014First time at The Prime Rib...a lovely evening! Service was exceptional...and unhurried. Husband's prime rib, ordered with specific instructions as to his preference, was excellent. My filet was deliciously medium rare with some char on the outside. Salads, potato, wine... All perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant WeekOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/12/2014The restaurant week menu had a lot of good choices. I chose the Prime Rib and it was excellent. The service was also good. Our waiter was friendly and it did not take long at all for our meals to come out. I will definitely go back again.Special Features:
- Wonderful but OverbookedEvilRedDined on 9/12/2014I hadn't been here before and decided to take advantage of restaurant week. Reservation was for 8:30. Arrived at 8:25 and our table wasn't ready yet. Went to the bar to get a glass of wine. Checking in again at 8:45. Table still wasn't ready. Each time was told it would be just a moment more. At this point, my date and I were standing by reception. The owner was there and was informed by the desk that we had been waiting for 30 minutes at this point. The owner stepped in said hello and offered a glass of wine for us both and had our table straightened out within 5 minutes. When we were finally seated, the meal was amazing. We both had prime rib. Atmosphere was very nice. Will go back but would choose a less busy time.Special Features:
- Perfect Date NightLove2dineVIPDined on 9/12/2014The Prime Rib was the perfect date night restaurant. My boyfriend and I went during Restaurant Week, which could be shaky. However, the Prime Rib went above and beyond to make our meal perfect. Our waiter Kellen was amazing! I highly recommend requesting him as your server. The food was very good as well! We will certainly be returning to the Prime Rib soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GreatChimaDined on 9/12/2014Always great service with the best prime rib you'll find in the Philadelphia area.Special Features:
- Excellent ServicejdinerDined on 9/12/2014We had a large group for restaurant week, seven people. I found the service to be excellent, as it was a Friday night during restaurant week. I had thought we may not receive the same treatment considering our group size. Our server, Frank, handled the group very well and with professionalism. We were all very happy with our meals and overall experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Prime RibMarthaDined on 9/12/2014I go every year to treat my stomach, best Prime Rib in PhillySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- How late were weBirthdayB8sVIPDined on 9/12/2014I liked to thank the Prime Rib for still accomadating us, even though some members of are party were up to an hour late. Per usual they did not disappoint.Special Features:
- Simply fantastic.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/12/2014My girlfriend and I went for her birthday, the experience as a whole was exceptional. I believe Derrick was our server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not great...2bCLaBanDined on 9/12/2014The ambiance was a bit cold, not very inviting. The host staff seemed a bit snotty, though our waiter was very nice. We went during Restaurant Week, and the food options were satisfactory. We got the prime rib with two sides and dessert. The prime rib was good; however we have had much better for much less. It tasted like the mashed potatoes were from a mix, though the chocolate mousse pie was delicious. Service was good and our waiter was very polite and attentive. It was a nice experience for Restaurant Week, though I would recommend other restaurants before this one.
- AwesomeHungrytigerDined on 9/11/2014My sister and I met up at the bar for Restaurant Week, the drinks were very good and the bar is gorgeous. We got a booth seat and from the time we met our waiter Vincent our dinner turned into the most Awesome experience!! The food was delicious and our waiter was gorgeous with a personality to match!!!! Vincent is the most charismatic, caring, funny, and attentive waiter I've ever had, he's such an asset to the Prime Rib. My sister wanted to come back the next day and do it all over again, the crab cakes were delicious and the sweet potato was huge and more than enough for us to share. We had a great time thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Prime Rib still a Prime restaurantArchieDined on 9/10/2014I haven't dined at Prime Rib in a long time, but glad to say it is still great. It is still a very classy upscale restaurant and the food and wine are great. Our waiter matched up a perfect wine for our Prime Rib.Special Features:
- Good as alwaysSTeatoutDined on 9/10/2014Prime Rib is a reliable stand by. Good food, surroundings and music. Kind of old supper club feel, Mobbed because of restaurant week ; service slow but pleasant.Special Features:
- memorable!fav2dineDined on 9/8/2014Delicious prime rib, perfection. The desert was divine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great service excellent restaurantantoinetteVIPDined on 9/8/2014One of the most romantic restaurants I have ever visited. Great food, service and wine selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodlizzie369Dined on 9/8/2014prime rib was delicious, sides were also good but very small amount. The chocolate dessert was the best I've ever had. The ambience is really nice and the staff is super pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!Linda325fromNewtownDined on 9/7/2014Gorgeous restaurant, outstanding service and wonderful food! Love everything about The Prime Rib!Special Features:
- Very good restaurantNat1VIPDined on 9/6/2014Very good food. Wonderful service. Beautiful restaurant. The prices have really gone sky high. So we now only go for very special occasions.Special Features:
- Always ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/6/2014My wife and I travel to Philadelphia at least 3 - 4 times each year and have never missed having Saturday Night Dinner at the Prime Rib. The service and food are always excellent. Our friends often ask why we visit Philadelphia so often and we always say "Because of the Great Food". Anyone visiting this wonderful city should experience the Prime Rib I can assure you won't be disappointed. Mark StankiewiczSpecial Features:
- VERY NICE OVERALL EXPERIENCEBUDDYDined on 9/6/2014ALL AROUND EXCELLENT. WINE LIST PRICES WERE REASONABLE AND WINES WERE VERY GOOD. EXPENSIVE BUT WORTH IT. WE WILL RETURN.Special Features:
- Anniversary Celebration Dinnernikki722VIPDined on 9/5/2014My husband and I were celebrating our 22nd wedding anniversary. The decor of the restaurant was great for a romantic evening for two. We were greeted by friendly staff and our waiter was superb. There was a live pianist accompanied by a bassist that played dinner music throughout the evening. The food was great and our waiter surprised us with a complimentary creme brulee for dessert. We also received a $10 anniversary credit on our bill. Awesome night!Special Features:
- The DownfallnonnaVIPDined on 9/3/2014My husbands cherrystone clams were too large and could not be chewed in one gulp and could not be cut into two. It was all he could do but gag. Our salads (good) were served on plates too small to contain the contents and lettuce kept falling off the plates.Two of the four of us ordered prime rib which was so tough that even with lots of sawing with the steak knife could neither be easily cut nor chewed. The waiter took them back and returned with what he hoped would be better. It was not. The potatoes au gratin were disgusting, a horrible mess of inedible stuff.bread was a cheap and stale. The bus boy spoke little English and grunted when he came to remove the plates. The price of the dinner left us thinking we had been swindled.
- dinnerdinnerDined on 9/2/2014the prime rib was actually terrible and very disappointing. dry and seemed like it was sitting under a heater lamp. cold seafood cocktail was great. service was greatSpecial Features:
- Prime RibMargaretVIPDined on 8/31/2014A delightful restaurant, great ambiance. Service was off on this visit not up to usual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food just okteresaDined on 8/30/2014Service was great. Food was just ok. We had crab cakes and lobster and both were just average.
- Truth in AdvertisingNettieDined on 8/30/2014It had been a number of years since I dined at The Prime Rib. It will NOT be a number of years before I return. I went because of a special deal they were offering. Their 15oz Prime Rib was $25. It was worth $50. This is one restaurant I will visit even when it is not restaurant week, or even if they are not offering a special deal. Truly worth every penny, and the service was Top Notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Prime RibVirginIslandGirlDined on 8/29/2014Excellent Steaks - We think the best in Philadelphia!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always good, always predictableSherzVIPDined on 8/25/2014This is a place that you can depend on. The atmosphere and service are impeccable, no surprises on the menu. It's the standards, and they do it very well. If you love steaks, chops, seafood done and presented perfectly but not imaginatively, this is your place. Fabulous potato skins, good vegetable sides, extensive wine list. Their signature prime rib is always perfect. However, if you're looking for creativity in the kitchen, this is not your place. Be warned that it is very expensive... everything is a la carte. A vegetable side dish is $10, a potato $10, for instance. The only disappointment was the apple pie for dessert. Pitifully ordinary, it was dry and bland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.