Tamarind - Tribeca
99 Hudson Street
New York, NY 10013Neighborhood:
TriBeCa - Downtown
IndianPrice: $31 to $50
Tamarind - Tribeca
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.tamarinde22.com/
- Phone: 2127759000
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm -11:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Tamarind - Tribeca
The team from Tamarind, in the Flatiron District, have opened a new restaurant in Tribeca. Tamarind's team of dedicated chef's draw on India's varied regions to take diners on a culinary voyage of the subcontinent. The restaurant's menu includes dishes from Punjab, Hyderabad, Goa, Madras, Lucknow, and Calcutta. India's assertive spices and seasonings distinguish its cooking from all others.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerIndian
Tamarind - Tribeca - Best Restaurants in TriBeCa - Downtown ›
Tamarind - Tribeca reviews from OpenTable diners
296 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (173)special occasion (156)good for groups (109)romantic (108)neighborhood gem (90)great for lunch (69)hot spot (45)notable wine list (40)vibrant bar scene (22)great for brunch (17)late-night find (13)kid-friendly (10)great for outdoor dining (7)scenic view (2)Show More
- Perfect lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 7/2/2014The ambience here is ideal for a relaxing meal. Tables are nicely spaced apart; lighting is bright but comfortable and the noise level is moderate. The lunch menu is a terrific deal - $25 for an appetizer, 2 entrees and dessert - and the food is delicious. Our waitstaff was attentive and friendly. No complaints and I would recommend the restaurant to anyone.Special Features:
- Fine Indian diningMBSolomonDined on 7/1/2014This is one of the better fine Indian restaurants I've been to in or near the city. I often go when I want a slightly more "upscale" experience of Indian food. It hasn't disappointed yet. The wine list is extensive, and the restaurant is generous with appetizers and desserts. I've been there three times so far, and there will be more visits to come. Recommended for special occasions or romantic dinners.Special Features:
- Citylife11VIPDined on 7/1/2014I had friends visiting from out of town and brought them to Tamarind. It was an absolutely perfect all-around experience. The ambiance was soothing, the service was outstanding and the food was beautiful and delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingBigtimefoodieDined on 6/30/2014Great food, service was friendly, quiet atmosphere. Loved their chili crab app. Go for their prix fixe lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Below average foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/28/2014Went for dinner, and the food did not live up to expectations. The butter chicken was not cooked very well, and the portions were too small. The only dish that was satisfactory was the punjabi mutton.
- Everything was amazingAsifVIPDined on 6/28/2014We went here for dinner on a Saturday night. There was 5 of us and we decided to share our orders (portion sizes are smaller than your typical indian restaurant, but I would still recommend you share to enjoy more!). We start with the Aloo Tikyas, Scallops and Malai Murgh. All were phenomenal. For our main we had their award winning Halibut (highly recommend), Lamb Milagu and Paneer Makhani. All dishes were cooked to perrfection. The lamb was a perfect balance of spice. For dessert we ended with the Kulfi and Coconut Mousse. Coconut Mousse in particular was delicious and had a great texture.Special Features:
- Great evening dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/28/2014The food was very good as well as the selection advice from the wait staff. The room is beautiful and has a good energy level. We had the lamb chops and they were delicious.Special Features:
- Excellent Indian FoodNYCAG84VIPDined on 6/27/2014Authentic Indian Food, Great Ambience, robust wine list, and excellent service. Parking relatively easy.Special Features:
- DisappointingNectarDined on 6/26/2014We were in NYC and decided to celebrate our 20th Anniversary here. Despite making a reservation on Open Table, The hostess couldn't seem to find our reservation. We explained our last name 3 times and told here we were celebrating our anniversary. Ultimately, she claimed she could not find the reservation and didnt honor our request for a quiet table. Instead they placed us by the waiters station and kitchen, which was loud and distracting. Our waiter had too many tables to wait on and it was not easy to get his attention. The food was quite good though and we did our best to enjoy the evening.Special Features:
- Great foodCsolDined on 6/25/2014Great food and good service. Too much air condition, so we got a bit cold (also the food).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/22/2014Food is amazing! We had the Mango Cosmo which was strong and fruity....for appetizers we tried the vegetable samosa which was very flavorful. For entrees I had the Vindaloo with salmon which wasnt listed on the menu but they were happy to oblige. My BF had the chicken tikka masala which he loved. All in all I think this place is a great choice for an upscale indian restaurant. My only gripe is that after you pay 30+ for an entree you expect it to at lease come with rice/naan. A small bowl of jasmine rice is an extra 6 bucks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousMuseDined on 6/20/2014My boyfriend is absolutely in love with Indian food, so I took him here for his birthday dinner. Everything was amazing, and even though we ate WAY too much we somehow still found room for dessert. Delicious and decent prices - even starving artists can treat themselves here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Indian food for foodies.Foodielawyer51Dined on 6/17/2014I thought I didn't like Indian food until I tried tamarind. I went with a group and everyone loved everything. Good service and nice ambience. A real find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- indian spucesluv2dineDined on 6/15/2014Very different from others ind rest. This place is more classy w selected dishes. Mainly cooked in coconut cream. I liked bc food wasn't oily n tasted great. Better of all is that you don't smell curry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Girls night outNYCgirlVIPDined on 6/14/2014Great food, impeccable service and ambience. Love this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Indian RestaurantCettsVIPDined on 6/14/2014This is my favorite Indian restaurant, Great selection of food always expertly made, great service and a very nice modern atmosphere. .Special Features:
- Delishlive2eatDined on 6/14/2014We were a party of eight visiting from the West coast and made a reservation on the recommendation of a foodie from NYC. It made her top 5 list. We started with fun cocktails that I was hesitant to order until the bartender assured me that he would drink it if I didn't like the tamarind margarita. Believe me, he didn't get a sip!! It is a perfect place for a group given that we shared all of the dishes. One person did most of the ordering with and a few suggestions from the waiter. One dish was more delicious than the next. I didn't really pay a lot of attention to what we'd ordered and expected the bill to be astronomical based on how many dishes we had, BUT, it was incredibly reasonable for such a high end restaurant.Special Features:
- Ruined eveningLkram7VIPDined on 6/14/2014We reserved a table for four. When a friend couldn't make it at the last minute, the three of us were seated at a small table for two and I spent the evening facing a wall. Although the restaurant was beautiful, I wasn't able to enjoy any of the ambience or atmosphere. As far as the food is concerned, Floyd Cardoz' TABLA was far superior.
- excelllentDined on 6/12/2014The service was poor, had to ask the waiter 3 times for a beer before they got it. The wine sommelier knowledge seemed to be poor and could not understand his accent - something you dont expect at a restaurant at this level. The first bottle of Burgundy was corked and yet the Sommelier was arguing - finally he got a another bottle from Califonia which tasted great. Overall the food is exceellent but very pricy for the portion size.
- PenniDined on 6/11/2014Good service and accommodating To a special request not on the menu. Very nice ambiance. If you 're more than 2 people ask to be seated in a booth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Upscale Indian RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/7/2014Wonderful "upscale" Indian food in a serene, contemporary setting. Very knowledgeable and helpful service staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top Indian Fusian Cuisine in NYNorvilleDined on 6/7/2014I've eaten Indian in a myriad of places as well from my own mother in law's kitchen. I can be safe to say the Tamarind is the best! Just don't tell my mother in law that!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good ethnic food ...christinegrDined on 6/6/2014Just vidited Tamarind restaurant in Tribeca . Overall the experience was satisfactory.The food was authentic and very tasty ,the service was good and professional and the ambience was also good although it could be a bit more modern and refined. I would recommend this restaurant and I will visit it again in my next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodLarryDined on 6/6/2014Best Indian food in NYC! The special appetizers and lamb chops were fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- StopEsquireVIPDined on 6/4/2014Stopped in for lunch. $25 fixed price: app and two mains, perfectly prepared. Service impeccable. A block from the 1 train stop at Franklin, we will stop in again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/2/2014Waiters explain perfectly the menu and recommend excellent choices, excellent service, amazing food in taste and prrsentationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious FoodNorsemansixDined on 5/31/2014The food is very delicious . The service is outstanding, and the new Tribeca location is much nicer. Always a great experience.Special Features:
- JakieDined on 5/31/2014I had been looking forward to eating here for a long time and it didn't dissapoint. Tamarind is a beautifully appointed restaurant with food and service to match.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Fixed Price Lunch MenuprofkenDined on 5/30/2014I had lunch here recently, and it was a great experience. The $25 executive menu includes a appetizer, 2 entrees, pilaf, naan bread & dessert. The food vibe is upscale versions of familiar Indian dishes. Everything was excellent, and the service was good as well. It was very quiet on a Friday at 12:30 & our reservations were not necessary. The decor is very modern and inviting. I would definitely come here again. A little tough to find with no signage that I could see, but that could be because of scaffolding on the building.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great as alwaysJohnCDined on 5/29/2014I love this restaurant though this was my first time at their new location. Food was great and staff were very pleasant and professional. New location is upscale and trendy. Good vibe with a happy atmosphere but not over the top.Special Features:
- Great NightlionheartDined on 5/24/2014Our Favourite wine in the World Hamilton Russell Chardonnay and the best , juiciest chops and friendly staff.....excellent but expensive.Special Features:
- dsosaDined on 5/24/2014Food was excellent. Service was very good. Overall experience was so memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/24/2014The people in the restaurant were very rude to our party
- Dinning OutMBasDined on 5/21/2014The best Indian restaurant in New York. The food is out of this worldSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- finally, indian fine dining in nycrorstarrDined on 5/21/2014I was impressed with our selection of food and the actual food itself. Everything was aromatic and spiced perfectly. There were plenty of counterbalances in the sauces as well. A shrimp dish was presented well but the taste was not remarkable. Everything else including service was wonderful. My wife and I love to go to Veeraswame in London and finally a place in NYC that compares and surpasses.Special Features:
- Great Lunch SpotSuzanneVIPDined on 5/21/2014We had lunch here and it was quite good. The service was attentive, and the food was full of the spice and flavors of Indian food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing fareOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/17/2014We had high hopes based on all the reviews. But every dish we tried was sub par. We started with Dahipuri for appetizer which was fair. We ordered Punjabi mutton and lachcha parata and garlic naan. Both the rotis were a little bit doughy and the curry was bland. Nothing to write home about. We also ordered goat biryani and that was not impressive. We thought may be it was just an off day in the kitchen since the place seemed to have good reviews. We also ordered kulfi for desert and that was frozen (crunchy instead of creamy). We couldn't eat with spoon and needed knife and fork :-). All in all, a totally disappointing experience.
- The following 926 reviews are from the Tamarind - Tribeca reviews archive.
- Excellent service, food & settingExperiencesInFood3Dined on 5/17/2014You'll feel fully attended to by the friendly, attentive staff. Very helpful with our guest's food allergy. The chicken appetizer was full of amazing flavors and the bean salad was subtle and more than two of us could eat. The "fiery" chicken dish was just that - spicy and yummy, and we offset it with a vegetarian cauliflower/potato entree. Beautiful ambience made it a wonderful, leisurely dinner.Special Features:
- Not worth the priceJorgeDined on 5/16/2014Lamb was good, shrimp was pretty bland and the rice was old. Is ok, but not worth the price.
- Good findKandadeVIPDined on 5/11/2014Enjoyed the ambience, the tabel we asked for, the service and the food. Went for Mother's day and was not disappointed. They could have had more vegetarian choices -which I missed. The Prix Fix menu was extremely limited in their vegetarian choices. However, the standard offerings were made well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.