1515 14th St., NW
Washington, DC 20005Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.postodc.com/
- Phone: 2023328613x
- Hours of Operation:
Happy Hour: Monday - Friday: 5:00pm - 7:00pm at bar only. Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:30pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Pre-theater menu: Monday - Sunday from opening to 6:30
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Massimo Fabbri , Chef de Cuisine Matteo Venini
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Posto
Inspired to create a casual Italian restaurant in their own neighborhood, the culinary team behind Washington, DC’s award-winning Ristorante Tosca opened the doors to Posto, “a modern Italian place to meet,” in December 2008. It is located in a beautiful, century-old building (which at one time was a car dealership!) on the newly re-energized 14th St. NW – right next door to The Studio Theater, and just steps away from P St. and its hubbub of activity. As a proud new addition to the Logan Circle neighborhood, Posto serves classic and modern Italian dishes, and is the perfect place to drop in for a cocktail and a quick bite, or a multi-course meal shared with friends. A custom-built, wood-burning oven located in the back of the dining room entices guests with the smells of just-baked Neapolitan style pizzas and focaccia.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Posto reviews from OpenTable diners
102 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (44)fit for foodies (38)great for outdoor dining (32)good for groups (23)romantic (21)special occasion (19)notable wine list (16)hot spot (11)vibrant bar scene (8)kid-friendly (4)great for brunch (4)late-night find (4)scenic view (3)great for lunch (2)Show More
- valentines daygilberDined on 2/14/2014Special menu or not. It was so nice to have a choice on valentines day so everyone in our group could get just what they wanted. The atmosphere was great .. a good meal with good service. Interesting Italian wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I enjoy Posto -- the foodAmeriguyVIPDined on 2/12/2014I enjoy Posto -- the food is great and the service is always good -- but the ambience always seems rather cold to me. Concrete floors? Wide open spaces without decoration? Maybe it's nicer during the day when the light filters through the windows, but at night it's a bit non-descript if not off-putting. I know it's supposed to be hip, but you can be both hip and warm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Usenet on Sunday night andOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 2/9/2014Usenet on Sunday night and brought friends. Been there many times and pleased in past. Many menu items not available, light crowd and disappointing entrees, fish good but steak undercooked and very tough.
- Great Food, Rushed ServiceDCAfoodieVIPDined on 2/8/2014I can't say enough good things about the food at Posto - it's one of my go-to places when I have out-of-town guests, and it's a worthy "little sister" to Tosca, a restaurant in the same group that I very much enjoy for special occasions. That said, the service at Posto was a bit rushed and aloof, with the server constantly interrupting our conversation just to keep things moving along - and that's why I'm giving Posto four stars instead of five. While I do like the busy vibe, it shouldn't come at the expense of guests' dining experience, especially at this price point. There's much, much more competition on 14th Street now, and the management needs to be mindful of that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food as always at PostoOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/8/2014Great food at Posto. Nice "vibe" to the place. And, despite all the new restaurants in the area, Posto still packed on a Saturday night. We've eaten there several times and love the food. Service was just a bit off in minor ways. In fact, at most restaurants would not even notice it but since Posto sets such high standards in food and service, these minor lapses caught our attention. That said, we'll be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love the service and the foodmaxwuDined on 2/8/2014Fantastic service. I cannot understand the menu because I am a tourist. However, the waiter gave me very good recommendation. I enjoy the salad, pasta and the dessert with black coffee. I am not sure about if it is cheap or not to spend 45USD for this. I think it is worth of it. Great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Posto, despite the ongoingoutoftenVIPDined on 2/8/2014Posto, despite the ongoing construction going on around it, still remains our favorite restaurant in the city.Special Features:
- Good meal and good serviceRuralFoodieDined on 2/3/2014If you're tired of the current DC trend of upscale American comfort food, Posto offers creative Italian, with interesting preparations but not of the trying-too-hard variety. Both of us are sensitive to gluten, and had no trouble finding options on the menu, although we would have liked to sample the pasta. The portions are on the delicate side, so you'll want to get appetizers if you're very hungry, but you should sample them anyway. We liked everything we ordered. The vegetables were particularly good. The service was attentive without being intrusive. Not inexpensive, but the quality of ingredients and preparation was good. We were there on a slow night - Monday, very cold - but we could have a conversation without shouting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I eat at Posto a lot and alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 2/1/2014I eat at Posto a lot and always enjoy everything about it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quel bon suprise!!!!!!!!MiltDined on 1/30/2014I had the veal ragu with pasta. It was outstanding. I also had the frozen squash custard dessert. It was unexpectedly outstanding. I am glad they are holding their own with all the restaurant choices on 14th St.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed a very nice meal withBrunoDined on 1/28/2014Enjoyed a very nice meal with friends. Especially enjoyed the Caccuccino (sp?) seafood stew. Creative desserts with butternut squash and eggplant marmalade were excellent despite the nontraditional ingredients.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad Service Marred Decent FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/25/2014Food was pretty good (not amazing but solid) but the service was poor, ruining the whole night.The waiter was rushed.We received incorrect information about an appetizer.We didn't get a spoon for our fisherman's stew. We had to flag down someone for water twice and more drinks.The waiter never came over to check on us to ask how the appetizer or entrees were or if we needed anything (like a spoon).The welcome to the restaurant wasn't particularly warm.As we left the restaurant there were 3 employees, including the manager, at the front.None bothered to stop and say a simple have a nice night. We wouldn't normally care, but we had just spent an hour and 15 minutes with extremely lacking service.An inattentive end to an inattentive evening.
- UnderwhelmedRoochieDined on 1/19/2014Salad was overly salty, mains were unremarkable. Overall, high price for mediocre service
- Great! To be honest I wasn'tOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 1/18/2014Great! To be honest I wasn't expecting much, and I was plesanlty sourprised. Amazing gnnochi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding pasta, warm serviceDC1FoodmanDined on 1/16/2014First visit here - we called to say we were late because of difficulty parking but were assured there'd be no problem. Service was immediate. I had heard about the quality if the pastas and was immediately recommended some preferred choices by the waiter. I ordered a kabucha squash raviolo with sage butter sauce starter and a veal ragu tagliatelli main course. Both were outstanding, perfectly al dente. Our waiter was very attentive. The sommelier was very helpful with the wine selections. We had a lovely Arneis with the first course and a fine balanced Italian red I had never heard of with the secundo - both reasonably priced. Will return for more but will be prepared not to have serious conversation because of the "energetic" sound level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Pre-theatreLeslieDined on 1/14/2014Dined at Posto before a play at Studio Theatre. Sat at the bar for happy hour drinks and food. Both were great, prices super and bartender friendly. They also have a more extensive $29 per-theatre menu that good yummy. As a tall female with a very tall husband one of things I especially like about Posto is how spacious the seating is. No tables jammed up against each other and the walls. Beautiful lighting. Pre-theatre on a Tuesday night it was quite very quiet and relaxed since we were dining at 6-7:30. I'll be sure to return in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very convenient to Studiorhank43Dined on 1/8/2014very convenient to Studio Theatre and the food is very good. only drawback is the lack of convenient and reasonably priced parking valet parking would be good and especially on nights we have theater tickets n0t just the weekendSpecial Features:
- Warm and DeliciousMoniqueDined on 1/4/2014The host was charming, the bartender knowledgeable about wine, the waiter was friendly and efficient and the servers were excellent . Oh yeah, the food. Fantastic. Best pizza in DC; fantastic pasta, interesting but not too overwhelming menu. We had a great time. Caveats - one diner thought his soup was bland; the arugula salad was fine, but not exceptionally so. The fish was perfectly cooked. The wine - incredible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, butOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 1/2/2014The food was not up to the usual standards, perhaps because it was just after the holidays. I was disappointed this time but because I have had so many good meals at Posto, I will go back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre theater dinnerHuckDined on 12/27/2013We were going to the Studio Theater and Posto is next door. The have a prix fixe pre theater dinner. The price is good when compared to ordering the same dishes off the menu. But if you are very hungry note that the portion sizes for the main course are small - I imagine that they are smaller than the same dish ordered a la carte.
- Nice pre-theatre optionEllenVIPDined on 12/26/2013We often dine at Posto before plays at the Studio. The service is pleasant and the food good but variable in quality. Nice wine list. Great place to enjoy a conversation early in the evening.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, good valueCassDined on 12/24/2013Order a variety of dishes and everything was very good--not one dish was just okay. The gnocchi and it was by far the best I ever had. The fisherman's stew was also excellent (not at all "fishy"). My mom, who never finishes her meal, practically licked the plate. My husband had the meat-fill ravioli and was equally impressed. Salad and bruschetta starters were fresh and tasty. Wines were good too--we had the prosecco and a California Pinot Noir, Folk Machine-worth trying. Decor is nice, causal yet sophisticated. The service was very good, responsive and friendly, not a bit pretentious. In terms of cost, it was a good value, especially considering the quality of the food and the nice atmosphere. I will be back again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre theater dinnerEageDined on 12/21/2013Good service, good food, able to have conversation.Special Features:
- Truly a GemStudioSubscriberDined on 12/21/2013The Posto Menu is varied and appealing. Everyone in my party of 3 enjoyed the Pre-Theatre Menu selections for salad, entree and desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Posto e fantastico!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/20/2013I've at Posto a few times and it's always spot on. For the diner seeking real authentic Italian cuisine this is the place! All of the dishes are good, and get some antipasti to start... They are awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Posto a great experience as alwaysZf88Dined on 12/17/2013Posto is one of my very favorite restaurants both in the Logan Circle neighborhood and in DC. This time was as wonderful as it always is. The food is really great (same chefs as the more expensive Tosca downtown). For the very high quality food you get the prices are reasonable. The service is always great. The former early 1900s car dealership building is cool too. I'm sad in some ways to see the construction outside affecting their business, but I am happy to be able to get a table on weekdays these days. The $7 pizza happy hour at the bar is a great deal too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- horrible serviceeatoutalotVIPDined on 12/17/2013the service almost ruined the meal we had the pre theater mealwhen the first course came i was brought soup instead of sausage. when told the waiter look at his orderbook and told me i was right i had ordered the sausage. but i already knew this. he said the sausage would be right out obviously he did nothing to help this along in the kitchen even though he had made a mistake. the rest of the party had finished their first course and mine was not to be seen. we had to get the waiter again and then he went to the kitchen he said it would be out in 30 seconds well it was out very soon and he acted like he had done a good thing getting it out so quickly! so i ate my course alone
- Always goodMaryVIPDined on 12/14/2013Posto is consistently great in the food they offer and the professional service. Bar has efficient and friendly service.Special Features:
- Best pizza on 14th (IMHO)DrawPastTenseVIPDined on 12/13/2013Yes, I prefer it over Etto, Ghibellina and Matchbox. The food is consistently good, as is the service. Chrissy the bar diva is fantastic. The only suggestion I have is with the (too) open space: I think it could benefit from hanging something large/fun/interesting in the center area (like a real Italian gondola?) to break up the mass — right now it looks too much like an empty hotel lobby, although they've recently upgraded the images on the walls and it's looking sharper! Posto is probably our default spot along 14th, largely due to the consistency.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre theater dinnerJudyDined on 12/7/2013Very good food on a fixed price preheater menu. Nice combination of flavors in an argula salad and a branzino entree. Conveniently next door to Studio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- With a play at 3 and anotherHungrybirdVIPDined on 12/7/2013With a play at 3 and another at 7, Posto's pre-theater menu at 5 is just about perfect...
- Still one of the best on 14thDinnerguruVIPDined on 12/4/2013One of the first of the 'new' restaurants on 14th and has been going for a few years and despite all the new trendy places down 14th that have opened in the past 18 months, I still think Posto serves up some of the best food around. Good, fresh ingredients don't need a lot of playing around with and Posto proves it. The wine list is interesting with lots of unusual Italian wines you don't get everywhere. It's reasonably priced, especially compared with all these 'sharing plate' restaurants (can't wait for that trend to die out!). Unfortunately I think they are suffering from a downturn in business from construction work on the building and adjacent lot which has meant scaffolding up for many months and makes it look closed from outside.Special Features:
- Great for a pre-theater dinnerRoseVIPDined on 11/27/2013I first visited Posto when it opened and returned on Wednesday and I was pleasantly surprised to find the food as good if not better than before. My husband loved the tuna tartar. Also the martini lived up to his very high standard of a "real" martini. The pasta with veal ragu was divine. The service was excellent and friendly but not intrusive. What I loved is that it is an adult dining experience. !4th Street is very popular with the young foodie crowd but Posto has been around before the trend started and has an established following. It was great to be able to talk over dinner. A rare treat in Washington, DC. Also theater and dinner is simple as it is next door to the Studio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best italian at this price in DC!luigiVIPDined on 11/22/2013That sums up Posto - super pastas, seafood etc - quite creative and using fresh ingredients. Service is great too- notthe kind of place to languish around but you come for the food and a superb italian wine list at reasonable prices!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too LOUD!!!!!!beafishDined on 11/16/2013Great place except one thing... if you want to have a conversation. We could not hear each other across the table at our table of four. The food is good. The staff is good. The noise level is impossible.
- No so greatOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/3/2013Maybe we just did not order well, but, we did not like much about this meal. We did think the vegetables were good. But the sardines were not good. Everything came to us less than warm. The sardines were really greasy. My companion hated the bones. Guess we should have asked about that. But I had indigestion from the grease. The dessert was very good. We had apple cake. The small piece of pine nut brittle was hard to find, but delicious. Maybe we should have only ordered dessert. The service was good. One wait person did not seem to have much patience for us. She disappeared and a very nice person took over. He was very tolerant of our questions.
- The food was good but...PinkDined on 11/2/2013the noise level was such that it was difficult to have a conversation. Our waiter was very good. He didn't tell us his name, his service was attentive without being intrusive and he knew both the food and the wine. My gnocchi were lovely little pillows and the mascarpone dessert was divine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old faithful in LoganMichaelVIPDined on 10/29/2013With all the new Italian places on 14th Street, it's easy to forget about Posto. But don't. Great food, fabulous wines, and a very friendly bar scene without the crowds and attitude of some of the newer places "to see and be seen." It's like going back to an old lover.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Traditional ItalianToddinDCVIPDined on 10/27/2013We very much enjoyed our meal here. It was good to be back in an Italian restaurant that wasn't trying to re-imagine Italian food in different and sometimes unappealing ways. Portions were the right size, fresh and full of flavor. Service was very good and staff friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot for birthday dinnercb1025Dined on 10/27/2013I went here with 7 of my family members for my birthday and everyone was able to find something they liked on the menu. The service was perfect, we never felt rushed, but someone was always available if we needed anything. The food was all delicious. The serving sizes were pretty large, all of the pasta tasted homemade, and the ingredients seemed very fresh and seasonal. I would definitely go here again for a low stress group gathering. It's a little pricey, especially with drinks, but well worth it.Special Features: