14344 North Scottsdale Rd
Scottsdale, AZ 85254Neighborhood:
AsianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sapporoscottsdale.com/
- Phone: 4806071114
- Hours of Operation:
LUNCH Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm DINNER Sunday - Thursday: 3:00pm-10:30pm Friday - Saturday: 3:00pm-11:30pm HAPPY HOUR Everyday 3:00pm-7:00pm REVERSE HAPPY HOUR Thursday - Saturday: 10:00pm-close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Asian
- Executive Chef: Stephen Stromberg
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Sapporo offers a private Teppanyaki room that comfortably sits up to 20 people. Enjoy the "Dinnertainment provided by our experienced and talented chefs!
- Private Party Contact: Joe Popo 4806071114
A word from Sapporo
When reserving tables online, please indicate your table preference: Teppan or Pacific Rim Dining Room. Known for its fresh, high-quality food and vibrant nightlife atmosphere, Sapporo’s dramatic exterior is framed with giant torches that light the Scottsdale sky. The interior is equally dramatic and includes an elegant elliptical bar where the passion-mango martini is a local favorite. The restaurant’s menu includes a variety of premium sushi and Teppanyaki as well as classic and contemporary Asian specialties, such as Grilled Black Cod glazed in Miso; delicately fried Tempura, and even a spicy take on Hawaiian poki. Sapporo’s popular Happy Hour specials highlight the restaurant’s creative cocktail menu and is available seven days a week from 3-7pm in the lounge and on the patio. Reverse Happy Hour is offered Thursday – Saturday 10pm to close.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sapporo reviews from OpenTable diners
103 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (63)special occasion (52)vibrant bar scene (36)fit for foodies (33)hot spot (31)kid-friendly (25)neighborhood gem (19)romantic (18)late-night find (16)great for outdoor dining (13)notable wine list (8)great for lunch (7)great for brunch (3)scenic view (3)Show More
- Too loud for SamauraiCanadianNisseiDined on 3/3/2014Sapporo had been highly recommended by other Calgarian friends as a place fit for my 60th birthday celebration. Maybe I'm older than I think, but I found the loud music rather incongruous with a sushi restaurant. Our server was outstanding, and the general service was wonderful, but I like to be able to talk with my dinner mates without having to occasionally plug my ears.Special Features:
- Disappointed this timeDisappointedDined on 3/1/2014disappointed in the service and food. Had track down our waitress to order. No details to attention. Had ordered chicken terriyaki teppanyaki. Food came in incorrectly. Sent it back. They swapped the chicken out and served us the Same plates with cold food!! It's teppanyaki. Should be steaming hot!! Can't believe they re served food that was Digged in already. And cold! Could eat the veggies at all. Appetizer shrimp never came. We had to ask for it. Overall was very disappointed. They have us credit for the entree but it was a friends bday, I chose the place, they relied on my choice. I let my guests down. Feel ashamed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fair food, good entertainmentEluqVIPDined on 2/24/2014This place is great for kids since the cooking show at the teppanyaki table is pretty cool and the cook interacts with the table. The food is decent, nothing to die for but it's fine. I had the Australian "kobe" wich was good, The soup and the salad are barely OK. The edamame was better than average and I also ordered an avocado roll which was pretty good, specially for $4. In general is pricier than average, but not too bad. Cheers.Special Features:
- Noise Kills a Romantic NightSpiggityDined on 2/23/2014I like to attend dinner at Sapporo's about once every 3 months with friends and we always like to be seated at the Teppinyaki tables. I brought a date to Sapporo's on the 23rd of February for what I thought would have been a romantic night, boy was I wrong... Parents at our table warned us that there children might get out of control. That right there made me wonder what was in store. We asked to be moved and we were told all the tables were full. Once the other table in the same room was full the noise level become so unbearable I had to yell to be heard. I'm not sure if I will ever bring my business back to Sapporo's but it would be nice if they would be willing to do something to make want to continue coming back. Not Romantic at all.Special Features:
- The service was good and theOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 2/22/2014The service was good and the food was delicious We had sushi, ahi tuna lettuce wraps which were wonderful and pad tai which was excellent A bit noisySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Sushi in TownscottsdalefoodieVIPDined on 2/22/2014I've been going to Sapporo for over 10 years now and I've never had a bad meal there. As a Southern California transplant, I've been eating sushi all of my life and Sapporo's is the best sushi in town, bar none. If you are a first timer I highly recommend the Red Tiger and Johnny Dynamite. Both entrees are worth every $.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonder atmosphere, great foodPishPosh1Dined on 2/22/2014Loved everything about the restaurant. The cook was very entertaining and the atmosphere was excellent. Only had one problem, the air was turned down so low that my husband was freezing. He actually got up and stood at the end of the table because it was blowing directly down on him. I thought it was funny that no one came and asked him if everything was okay, since he remained standing for quite a while. I felt the chair that he had been sitting in and it was like ice. We wanted to stay and have drinks, but the cold air made you want to leave.Special Features:
- It was my first time and tookiluvfoodDined on 2/21/2014It was my first time and took my sister their for her bday. We all loved we don't like sushi and were a bit skeptic but food was delish and the service was great! From the hostess to our waiter to the cook they all made it an enjoyable experience. Will definitely go againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place....OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 2/21/2014But it's too loud with the music. You have to yell at each other to talk. The music could be adjusted a bit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- N Scottsdale's Maggiano RestaurantFoodWineLVRDined on 2/17/2014My wife and I are from Maine, she's here for business I'm here for pleasure. We could walk to Maggiano's from our hotel. Our waiter Jorge was outstanding. Very polite, knowledgable and just a pleasure to be around. We had a wall booth which gave us a great view of the dining area. Would visit again, Thank you for a fine dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ideal NightAngel213Dined on 2/15/2014I can't explain how fantastic the restaurant was. When we arrived there we were treated so welcoming. We arrived a little early and decided to have some drinks. Both bartenders were amazing and had such a great vibe. They made excellent rum and Cokes too! When it was time for our reservation slot your waitress took us back to the grill table. The chef Herberto was awesome and his energy was addictive. We had an amazing time. Food was excellent, service was outstanding. I couldn't have been more pleased to find this place. We will be returning as regulars from now on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FullChopsticks1Dined on 2/15/2014Always enjoy going to Sapporos ! Next time will request the tables at the aquarium.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The service was very slow.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/15/2014The service was very slow. The item I tried to order was no longer available, although it was on the menu. The server recommended something else, which was horrible. It was like something i could have gotten at Pei Wei or PF Changs. I expected much higher quality at Sapporo.Special Features:
- Valentines dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2014Had a very nice dinner with gf enjoyed the food and great atmosphere. Definitely will come back again for drinks and a nice time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/13/2014I really enjoyed dining at this restaurant for the first time. The menu offers a wide variety of entrées to choose from. You have to have the tempura appetizer. Highly recommend this restaurant for any occasion.
- Had great fun for my husband'sSandyDined on 2/11/2014Had great fun for my husband's 70th birthday celebration! The staff was very attentive and so much fun! The waiter even remembered what table we were sitting the last time we were in celebrating our granddaughter's birthday, which was in July, 2013! Great restaurant!Special Features:
- Celebrated Birthdays!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/9/2014Had the most wonderful birthday celebration! 3 birthdays celebrated for a 22 y/o, 57y/o and a 78y/o! Food was delicious and Chef was absolutely the best! He engaged the entire table and everyone had laughs and a super time!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too loudMarkDined on 2/8/2014Difficult to carry on a conversation. Bad acoustics. Kind of defeats the purpose of dining as a group.Special Features:
- DisappointingFoodLoverDined on 2/8/2014There were 5 hostesses and it took them 45 minutes to seat us and we had to go to them, because they had forgotten about us. We had to ask for specials at the bar, they were not offered while we waited. We were served cold sake instead of hot When the hostess did come get us she walked us to the hostess stand and then turned around and saw we were following her and was surprised and then walked us back throug the crowd to a tiny table for the 6 of us despite other open rebels around us and it wasn't even set yet. Our appetizers came with our food and then there was a 30 min wait period between when our rolls and nigiri came out He forgot several of our drink orders and didn't come around film we asked someone else for the bill.
- food was ok, restaurant wasKimRDined on 2/8/2014food was ok, restaurant was loud and server was rude. I spent $250 on a birthday party and didn't think it was worth it.Special Features:
- Exemplary service and foodJanpcDined on 1/29/2014Ritchie our waiter was exceptional. Food was great Will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was very poorDocTDined on 1/25/2014Wait staff took quite some time to come to our table. Rarely returned to see if we needed anything, not at all attentive. Sushi came out super quick all at once, would have been nice if it was spaced out a bit. Felt rushed, then abandoned. It took longer for our wait staff to return and for us to finally check out than it did to be seated and served. In all we were finished with our meal and just waiting there for approx 30 minutes. Kicker was that managers kept walking by our table, clearly saw that it needed to be cleared, and did nothing. Disappointing to say the least.
- Very good food and service.AnonymousDined on 1/24/2014Very good food and service. The cooking table are great for a special occasion for groups of 8 or soSpecial Features:
- Energetic place to grab sushiCrazySaguaroDined on 1/11/2014I visited Sapporo on a Saturday night - around 7:30pm the place was just starting to pick up but there were still no wait for tables. The bar was about 50% seated and the atmosphere included a lot of couples/2-somes with not too many singles. Later in the evening it may pick up but since I left around 9pm, not sure. The sushi seating on the 2nd level was crowded - my chair was resting on the back of the table right behind us. I'd recommend checking out this spot with a group of girlfriends - and the sushi was delicious. Another perk is that they offer gluten-free soy sauce.Special Features:
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/10/2014The experience was great. The chef had a great laugh and was entertaining. The service was overall great except while we were waiting to be sat at the table for dinner. Getting a before dinner red bull was a bit difficult not a big deal though. We overall enjoyed the experience and our celebration was awesome. We would recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ginger sauce / salad dressingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/5/2014The changes u made to the above mentioned were for the worse.... The ginger sauce was too sweet. Other than that we enjoyed the meal. And some of the waiters all seem like trust find babies who don't listen too well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy Hour...not really.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/5/2014We have dined at Sapporo many times, but have begun to stay away because of the intense noise level. Our last experience, on Monday, Jan. 5 was much better as the restaurant was practically empty. Good for us, not so good for Sapporo. As for the Happy Hour...it used to be a very generous one in terms of true Happy Hour pricing. The menu has now changed and the price difference from the regular items is very, very minimul. Don't be fooled.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful neighborhood spotEugieDined on 1/1/2014Sapporo is a fun place for lunch, Happy Hour or dinner. Our family enjoyed a group table on New Year's Day and the Chef was personable, energetic and a lot of fun to boot. The food was better than average and the price reasonable. Highly recommend it. We also come here for lunch and the choices are varied and well prepared. It is also one of the best Happy Hours in the area.Special Features:
- New Year's EvePaulaVIPDined on 12/31/2013Had dinner with our friends for New Year's Eve and it was a great place to spend it the energy was fun the food was excellent! We plan to go back next year!Special Features:
- The best sushiRobbinDined on 12/30/2013We try to go here every time we are in Scottsdale. We love the sushi. Usually the servers are wonderful. We felt our server was fine but not overly friendly or outgoing.He just took the orders. Usually the servers at Sapporo are part of the dining experience: Friendly and helpful with the menu - so we were surprised and disappointed with our server. If you love sushi this is the place to go. Very creative and fresh. We did order the fried calamari for the first time and would not order it again. a little too fried for our liking. We will stick with the Sushi since it is fabulous. Cannot get enough of the Surf & Turf one! If you go during Happy Hour certain food items and select wines by the glass are discounted. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time to Sapporo2DesertDogsDined on 12/30/2013Great restaurant. Went for Teppanyaki, but looks like it has a great variety of items on the menu and a lively bar area. Will definately go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- louddennisDined on 12/27/2013food is always great, but it is too loud to have a conversationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday partySusieQDined on 12/23/2013We recently moved to Phoenix from the midwest. It's been a tradition to go to a Japanese restaurant on my son's birthday. So in keeping with that we were lead to Sapporo by a friend. Great find! We'll be back next year for his birthday and any time in between when we're craving Japanese food. Exterior and interior of the restaurant are stunning! Very talented Teppanyaki chefs. Fun to watch! Soup, salad, fried rice, veggies and chicken were yummy! (The only complaint: the shrimp was a bit chewy. My daughter, who loves shrimp, wouldn't eat it.) Overall - excellent!Special Features:
- DinnerRichDined on 12/13/2013A little noisy & service a bit slow but, food was great and had an enjoyable evening. Would definitely return. Happy hour menu on weekend was a nice surprise.Special Features:
- Thanksgiving mealmosternDined on 11/28/2013We opted to eat here for Thanksgiving and appreciate that the restaurant is open. The meal was very good, including our sushi and desserts. Wait staff was very attentive. My biggest complaint about Sapporo is the music level - maybe consider turning it down, especially for a family oriented meal like Thanksgiving. My meal came with asparagus rather than the sweet potato that was on the menu, but it was quickly corrected.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and service.GolfinflyfisherDined on 11/27/2013Excellent food and service. We would have ranked it 5 stars if not for the loud ambience. It is definitely loud - music and "in-scene" crowd..... But, you can't deny the fantastic food, presentation and service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Sushi & Cocktailsfoodie4lifeDined on 11/26/2013Sashimi was as fresh as fresh can be (especially when in a desert). Their small, but certainly distinguished, cocktail list was fabulous. Booths provide an intimate experience while seated in a vibrant setting. The service was great. I highly recommend and cannot wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome as Always!RobbinDined on 11/25/2013We love Sapporo. We try to go whenever we are in the area. We met the manager when we were here in November and he was delightful to speak with. My favorite sushi on the menu is the Surf and Turf. FANTASTIC! We are going back later this month and we are already talking about what we should order. We have been to this restaurant many times over the last few years and the food is consistently awesome! Looking forward to our next meal here. We do try to go early as the bar scene is pretty popular and can get loud. Just an FYI if you prefer a quieter dining experience. Their Happy Hour prices are worth getting there in time to take advantage of the discounts on sushi and wines by the glass.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everyone at our table feltmotorheadDined on 11/22/2013Everyone at our table felt that the quality of the food has gone down. The calamari steak was tough as well as the New York Steak. The rice was not fully cooked, some hard pieces. The cook wasn't as interactive as other cooks. Our server was great and very a tentative.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sushi night outFullVIPDined on 11/18/2013We went out with relatives who live in the area and had wonderful sushi. Everything was so freshly made. We then ordered a few entrees to share. The 1/2 price appetizers and drinks are a plus for a less expensive evening of great food and drink.Special Features: