BlueFin Japanese Restaurant
754 The Alameda
San Jose, CA 95126Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
BlueFin Japanese Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://bluefinsj.com/
- Phone: 4089316875
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:30pm; Bar and Lounge: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 12:00am, Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am; Happy Hour Monday - Friday 4:00pm - 7:00pm And 10:00pm - 12:00am Happy Hour Saturday 5:00pm - 7:00pm And 10:00pm - 12:00am Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese, Asian
- Executive Chef: Jun Chon
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from BlueFin Japanese Restaurant
High ceilings, geometric brickwork, hanging lights, and gracefully curved dining room create a sleekly intimate atmosphere at this upscale Japanese restaurant and lounge. Along with a sushi bar offering the freshest seasonal seafood in town, Bluefin's lunch and dinner menus offer deliciously prepared starters and entrees from noodles, teriyaki and bento boxes to Kobe beef and premium Japanese Wagyu beef dishes. Numerous varieties of sake, original house-crafted cocktails, and a generous sampling of domestic, Japanese and other wines and beers complete your evening. Just a short walk from the Sharks and other events at the HP Pavillion.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
BlueFin Japanese Restaurant - Best Restaurants in San Jose ›
BlueFin Japanese Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
28 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (13)fit for foodies (12)good for groups (10)special occasion (8)great for lunch (8)vibrant bar scene (6)kid-friendly (4)late-night find (4)hot spot (4)great for outdoor dining (1)great for brunch (1)romantic (1)Show More
- This is really a Rose GardenOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/26/2010This is really a Rose Garden neighborhood gem. The sushi was fantastic. The rolls were quite unique and very tasty and the pieces of sashimi & sushi were generous. Even the edemame, which can typically be pretty boring, was jazzed up with garlic and jalapeno peppers. I went on a recommendation from a friend and I would recommend to anyone.Special Features:
- Food was very good -- especiallyplainjaneDined on 5/22/2010Food was very good -- especially salmon carpaccio.Special Features:
- I was pleasantly surprisedOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 5/15/2010I was pleasantly surprised with Blue Fin, I can imagine sitting in the bar but we had dinner for a friend's birthday in the dining area and they even brought out some delicious fried green tea ice cream for dessert. The sushi selection and specials were perfect! Love the spicy edamame. I also enjoyed the service and ambiance and will definitely come back. Very close to downtown San Jose too.Special Features:
- Top quality and inventivecawineguyVIPDined on 5/13/2010Top quality and inventive Sushi has finally arrived in San Jose. Trust the staff to steer you correctly, and you will go away happy.Special Features:
- Michelle our server was outstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/11/2010Michelle our server was outstanding and friendly. The place wasn't too busy for late dinner so our food came quickly and was top notch. A real find. Was surprised that Bluefin does not show up as a Sushi restaurant in OpenTable - need to fix that.Special Features:
- Roll Japango was excellenttravelgirl58VIPDined on 5/11/2010Roll Japango was excellent and all of the sushi and sashimi was very fresh. Had bento box which was a good amount of food. Beef ribs tasty as was the miso soup. Tempura shrimp was soggy and tasteless. For the prices, it would be nice to have some complimentary edamame to begin with. The kitchen was very slow and it took forever to get our food. Our waitress kept coming back and apologizing but we had concert tickets and were getting nervous. She did bring us a complimentary drink, but we ended up having to rush through dinner to make an 8pm show. We started at 6:15pm.
- We were going to the HP PavilionOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/11/2010We were going to the HP Pavilion for a concert, and Blue Fin couldn't be better situated for this. It's a long block away, and they were very nice to offer that we could leave our car in their parking lot during the concert. I had the miso salmon, and thought it was good, but not great (I'm a salmon lover and eat it all the time at various places). I liked that it was crispy, but it had a slight fishy taste. The salad and soup were very good, and I had broccoli tempura that was crispy and very good, but the sauce was too mild, I couldn't really taste it. I plan to come back because of its location (i.e. if I go to another concert), but otherwise wouldn't come back if I visited San Jose again.Special Features:
- A great sushi restaurant finallycawineguyVIPDined on 5/5/2010A great sushi restaurant finally comes to San Jose. Make sure to try the Jun Specials (Jun is the owner).Special Features:
- Went before3 a concert atOnTheRoadAgainVIPDined on 4/30/2010Went before3 a concert at HP. Very convenient to park at HP and walk. Very good food and sake. Service was very good. I would recommend visiting before an event at HP.Special Features:
- The food was very good butOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/10/2010The food was very good but oh my gosh the service was terrible. We had to remind our server multiple times to bring us items that we had ordered that she forgot about. We wanted to have a leisurely meal but she brought the entrees out before our appetizers. The restaurant was practically empty so we couldn't understand why she didn't organize the entrance of our food correctly. I will go back for the food but next time I will make sure that the server knows to bring my food in the correct order. We weren't in a rush and the server should have asked us if we were going to the Sharks game in order to make sure how to time our meal.Special Features:
- The food is so very wonderful.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/10/2010The food is so very wonderful. Everything was elegant and yummy....one you got it. DO NOT come here for dinner before a Sharks game, you will indefinably miss the beginning of the game. Our dinner took 2 1/2 hours!!!!! And when we finally canceled one order or ami ebi becuase we simply didn't have anymore time to wait, they still charged us for it. It then took them another 15 minutes to bring us the check.
- Awesome sushi selection. NotOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 4/2/2010Awesome sushi selection. Not your everyday typical rolls too!Special Features:
- The food was fantastic andOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/2/2010The food was fantastic and very fresh. The friends that I was with for dinner are all serious sushi eaters and they were very impressed. Our server was fantastic as well! She was so patient and attentive. Our overall experience was fantastic and we will be back!Special Features:
- The food was very good. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/2/2010The food was very good. The food server was excellent. The kitchen service was terrible. Our reservations were for 5:45 and at 7:45 we hadn't gotten all of our food. We ordered 5 sushi rolls and gyoza. We wanted 3 more rolls and we were told it would be 30 minutes. We had a concert to attend at HP and other tables around us were complaining about how long it took to get our food. We had 6 people at our table and we all left the restaurant feeling HUNGRY!
- We went here with good expectationsOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/27/2010We went here with good expectations but we were a bit disappointed. We had a reservation for a Saturday night and when we arrived the place was nearly empty. The restaurant is beautiful and we love the open kitchen. We started with the house made gyoza and they were just delicious. We followed by sharing a green salad and then ordered 2 rolls off the special rolls menu. This is where the disppointment came. The rolls were just okay. Not nearly as good as many other sushi places we frequent. Since we went for sushi I can't comment on the other menu items. They have a nice entree menu. The service was a bit awkward but I don't think they've been around that long so over time that should improve.
- The decor looks good but there'sOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 3/26/2010The decor looks good but there's something about it that makes the place uninviting. Also, I ordered sweet potato tempura which I assumed would be yam tempura. Wrong! It was potato tempura that was sweet. Strange. The quail egg and oyster shooter lacked zing. $120 for two people would be more worthwhile if the place was warm and inviting but it left me cold.Special Features:
- FAST ATTN AND MOST POLITENOonBuffetDined on 3/16/2010FAST ATTN AND MOST POLITE SERVICE. FOOD WAS VERY GOOD. SALMON TO SHUSHIMI WAS FRESH.Special Features:
- Busy before the Sharks game;JackBDined on 3/6/2010Busy before the Sharks game; long wait till first service, then GREAT service. Wonderful food, beautifully presented in generous helpings.Special Features:
- We've gone there three timesOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/6/2010We've gone there three times since it opened, and the service can be a little unpredictable. It can take a while for a server to intitially come by the table, and two out of three times no one asked if our table would want a second round of drinks, but the food has been consistantly excellent. It has a great location for meals before events at HP Pavillion. I'm chaulking the minor service issues up to them just opening recently, and I'm hoping it gets addressed shortly.Special Features:
- Another Blind Date. FriendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/5/2010Another Blind Date. Friendly bar wait. Not at all busy on a Friday evening at 7:30. Ordered chef's special sushi: impeccably fresh and flavorful variety and Dragon Roll: well executed. Seaweed salad was as expected as were shortribs. While high priced; high quality. Do not waste the visit with someone who will not appreciate the cuisine or quality [as I did]. Service was perky, prompt and attentive. Coffee? meh, tepid.
- I'm sushi purist and tendAndyCVIPDined on 2/26/2010I'm sushi purist and tend to be a stickler for good well prepared nigiri sushi. I like some of the rolls but I like plain traditional sushi. As sushi goes, it has a decent selection. The selection happens to have some imported fish from Japan. The fish were fresh and the nigiri was prepared very well except this was ruined by mediocre prepared sushi rice. A bit too gummy and not sticky enough, it kind of detracted from the good fish.
- Thoroughly enjoyed the healthyOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/26/2010Thoroughly enjoyed the healthy and delectable choices on the menu. My kids loved the Miso salmon and sauce. The house salad and dressing which, is a large portion, was shared and a great complement to our meal. The inventive and creative rolls made it tough to choose a few. We really liked the Blue Fin and will be back!Special Features:
- Met here with two friendsOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/25/2010Met here with two friends and we shared a booth. I had eaten here twice before the restaurant changed hands from Seven to BlueFin. I parked in the back and came in the bar entrance. I love the building and the look of the restaurant, very contemporary without being stark. The service was excellent and the food was wonderful -- fresh, beautifully presented, and delicious. We had a lot of catching up to do, so we visited for almost 3 hours over two bottles of chardonnay. We were not rushed and the noise level was low, facilitating conversation. There were only a few other diners on the Thursday night we ate. A shame, but probably a sign of the ongoing recession. I will be back.Special Features:
- The food was wonderful. WeNonicknameVIPDined on 2/15/2010The food was wonderful. We were happy to learn about the owner-chef's new venue. We used to go to Tomo Sushi. bluefin is definitely many levels higher vis a vis ambience. The maguro was incredible; it melted in my mouth. We plan to return regularly.Special Features:
- I've been to Bluefin a fewOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/14/2010I've been to Bluefin a few times, this time was the best. The shortribs were fantastic, the gyoza dynamite, and the sushi fantastic. We had a great time.Special Features:
- The sushi was unusually freshMFDSanJoseDined on 2/13/2010The sushi was unusually fresh making it tender and delicious. The service was both friendly and attentive. The restaurant We will definitely be returning.
- This was a last minute reservation.OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 2/6/2010This was a last minute reservation. Literally, within 5 minutes of making it via OpenTable, the restaurant called to confirm. Although it was disappointingly empty, the service was excellent and highly attentive. The busboy never let the water glasses fall below half full. I had the spicy hamachi hand roll, and unagi avocado roll. Both were quite tasty, and the hamachi definitely packed a punch without totally burning off my taste buds. The bf had the chicken teriyaki and tempura. The portion sizes were good - enough food without feeling like a piglet. Dessert was the fried Thai banana with green tea ice cream. I wasn't too into it. Frying things coated in coconut doesn't work for me, but the bf really enjoyed it. Parking was a breSpecial Features: