622 Broadway East
Seattle, WA 98102Neighborhood:
Capitol Hill / First Hill
NorthwestPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.poppyseattle.com/
- Phone: 2063241108x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm -10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm -11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Northwest, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jerry Traunfeld
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: Roy
- Public Transit: Poppy is on Broadway along the main metro bus route (49) between downtown and the University District. There are two stops within a block of the restaurant.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There is a pay lot with restaurant access directly behind Poppy. Rates are $5 for 2 hours and $9 for 3. Street parking, metered and non-metered, is available in the area.
A word from Poppy
In a warm, modern dining room overlooking the lively streetscape of North Capitol Hill, Poppy presents James Beard award winning Chef Jerry Traunfeld’s style of Northwest cooking. Inspired by the thali, a tray of many small dishes served all at once to each guest, Poppy's menu highlights the best of local seasonal ingredients, spices, and fresh herbs from its own back garden, and includes many options for vegetarians. Poppy is an excellent venue for your group dining needs, please call or email for details.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNorthwest
Poppy reviews from OpenTable diners
192 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (168)neighborhood gem (100)special occasion (93)romantic (39)good for groups (39)hot spot (36)great for outdoor dining (26)notable wine list (24)vibrant bar scene (20)late-night find (15)great for lunch (7)kid-friendly (5)great for brunch (5)scenic view (2)Show More
- South Indian Inspired FoodBingDined on 5/17/2014Poppy's menu is nicely put together with moderately-spiced, South Indian inspired dishes. Their naan is better than most Indian restaurants that have tandoori ovens - eggplant fries, an innovative treat for lovers of traditional French fries, and perfectly cooked halibut made for a most satisfying meal.Special Features:
- Awesome!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/17/2014Creative cocktails and fabulous food! Had a blast at Poppy. Going back on this visit.Special Features:
- Fresh, Relaxing - a True NW Gem!fiddleheaddinerDined on 5/17/2014Each time I dine at Poppy, I enjoy the genius and creativity of Chef Jerry Traunfeld, who has spawned several local successful chefs. I usually order two or three starters like the poached oyster with sorrel sauce and bacon, and the eggplant fries with sea salt and honey. But there were so many I wanted to try, I almost ordered from that list. But what I love about Poppy is it's inviting and warm in winter, and has a comfortable vibe where you can converse without shouting. Atmosphere is warm - modern, with locally made furnishings. With garden dining in the rear (urban romantic) and sidewalk dining in the front. Service is friendly, professional, timely and unpretentious - a refreshing experience for Cap. Hill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poppy PopsDineAboutTownDined on 5/16/2014My partner and I went to Poppy last Friday night. We had reservations for 7:45pm, but the hostess was able to seat us early. Our server was very knowledgeable about the menu and the drink list. Both my partner and I had the halibut dish which came with pickled rhubarb (delicious and I recommend eating it either last or in-between dishes as a sort of palate cleanser), a cucumber yogurt salad (crisp cucumber with just enough yogurt dressing), black rice with coconut flakes, yam and onion, asparagus with peanuts and peanut oil and a large piece of freshly baked nann (that can be dipped in your remaining yogurt dressing from the cucumber salad or dipped in the halibut carrot sauce). I will be back to this restaurant hopefully very soon.Special Features:
- Unusual food, awesome serviceClayinSeattleDined on 5/14/2014Karel was knowledgeable and attentive, and the food was wonderfulSpecial Features:
- A nice place for special occationsdinnerDined on 5/13/2014Very nice and tasty food. Amazing usage of different fresh spices, grown in the garden, in the food.Special Features:
- Always tasty and interestingJasperDined on 5/11/2014We like the small portions on each diners plate that then can be share around the table. The combinations and flavors are always inventive. We appreciate the surprise of new additions. Service is excellent and unobtrusive. This is one or our regulars and our teen age daughter love it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- poppyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/10/2014I was disappointed compared to several previous times we had been there. The food tasted a bit bland. The halibut was great though. But the other two diners had the same feedback that the food was not very memorable. Wondering if the chef has changed or maybe it was just an off day. thanks for asking for my feedback, ChelleySpecial Features:
- LovepswettVIPDined on 5/9/2014Love love love. Really? 50 characters? I've written fifty reviews to Poppy before. Nothing new to report. Oh yes, the fiery and numbing potato dumplings are new and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable/salt almost too muchYeahhhDined on 5/9/2014a couple of our dishes had a bit too much salt...all the rest were superb.Special Features:
- Very Good Eats!!JacksonDined on 5/5/2014This was our first experience at Poppy. We were pleasantly surprised by the the meal, the presentation of the meal and of course the flavors. The Chef(s) there do a n amazing job of pairing foods that I would never dare in my kitchen. Enjoy.Special Features:
- Fun place to eat but odd flavorsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/1/2014I've been to Poppy three times now in the past year or so. The presentation of the food is always beautiful. The neat and simple decor is inviting. The food is mostly good but sometimes a bit bland or oddly spiced. I often find that the side salads/dishes in the thali are pretty plain or really oddly spiced (salty vanilla mashed veggie doesn't work that well in my mind). I recommend the place as a novelty to have once in a while.Special Features:
- Unique dining experiencefdnwnlvrVIPDined on 4/27/2014The concept of the Thali is unique and gives great variety of flavors. I love having all the small plates to myself! I have followed Jerry Traunfeld from the Herb Farm to Poppy and the standard of cuisine is always immaculate. We frequently bring our out of town guests here for a special dining experience.Special Features:
- asked to vacate tablevacatedDined on 4/26/2014The food was fantastic but the service less so. For the first time in my life, I had a staff person directly ask me to vacate a table as my friend and I, deeply engrossed in conversation, lingered over our tea and check. The staff person told us we'd be welcome at the bar. That transition might have been made palatable if a free drink was offered. My friend and I wished we would have mentioned to the staff person that we waited 30 minutes plus between our appetizer and entree.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poppy is a local favoriteBreBDined on 4/18/2014Love Poppy and hadn't been for awhile. The food is always amazing and I love the eggplant fries!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food in a nice settingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/17/2014Good food, great service at a local neighborhood restaurant to celebrate s special occasion. Not too noisy so can hear the conversation. Only problem was parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty and diverseLiaKDined on 4/16/2014Lovely food, it was very diverse and you get to try little bites of lots of things, which I love. Great Restaurant Week find!Special Features:
- Every plate has delicacyjamesianDined on 4/16/2014Here you will engage your senses in deep discovery of the flavors. Every small dish in your thali carries surprises. From the pickled carrots to the roasted eggplant or the salted cod, there will be delights. While you may try to talk about something other than the food, it is likely that the food itself will become the conversation. Farro with grilled artichoke is scrumptious and complex. The fiddleheads were a crunchy experience of spring. Black rice combined with yams is brilliant. Take your time here and bring people who welcome adventure.Special Features:
- Lots o flavorsOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/15/2014At Poppy, you know you'll get to taste a lot of flavors...enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing FlavorHungryGirlDined on 4/15/2014This is one restaurant I keep getting drawn back to for SRW. They have a great selection for SRW and each "main course" has its own tasting menu of sorts. The flavor is always amazing and you get to try a little bit of everything. Just can't say enough good things about the food. Also, the desserts are just as flavorful as the savory dishes and include a wide variety of interesting flavor combinations. This menu doesn't stick you with the old standbys of cheesecake, chocolate cake, and creme brûlée. Not that there is anything wrong with those options, but it's nice to see some variety and adventure!Special Features:
- Main course (Thalis) takeOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/13/2014Main course (Thalis) take about 30 to 40 minutes to arrive at the table. Waiters should be warning customers in advance about such delay in food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food, settings, services, all goodfirsttimerDined on 4/13/2014Seattle Restaurant Week 2014 is good. I can't forget the Japanese cheesecake with passion fruit saboyan and matcha crumbs... it was so good and different. Beef tongue appetizer and oyster with bacon were a hit too! Entree was a decent size meal. Thanks for the audio tour of each tapas by our server. Decor is very nice, love orange and yellow poppiesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- super tastypurplepansyzDined on 4/13/2014I really loved the thalis. They serve you multiple small dishes on one tray, very visually appealing and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a party of six duringCoffeebuzzDined on 4/10/2014We had a party of six during restaurant week and they didn't even bat an eye. The sever was splendid, the food was both fast getting to us and amazing to eat. The food is some of the best I have ever eaten.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun dining experience!LeelDined on 4/10/2014Came here for Seattle Restaurant Week with a friend and I could not be happier with my reservation! Great place for trying new things and you'll love it if you like the taste of Indian food and american fusion! The bright flowers were also a nice touch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Third time'sa major disappointmentCliffDined on 4/9/2014This is the third time I've dined at Poppy. The first two times I really loved it. This time (9 pm Weds Apr 9th) I was completely disappointed. The tongue was over-salted, and the pork entrée was tough and dry. I ate almost nothing of the meal. I have no idea what's gone wrong. Maybe that late the food has been sitting around too long. It was a huge disappointment and I won't be back.
- WowWandaDined on 4/9/2014We finally made it to Poppy and I wonder why we waited so long. It is amazing! The food is not easy to describe, because the experience is all about the flavors. I will definitely be returning soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful dinner for alltravelersezVIPDined on 4/9/2014Poppy offers something for everyone. My friends and I enjoyed our incredible dinner at Poppy. The variety of options combined with the mix of flavors and textures made for a unique dining experience. It is not the place for you if you are indecisive. The poached oysters in sorrel sauce started off the night on a high note. The miso black cod was lovely. It was nothing like any other miso black cod I had elsewhere. We all agreed the Nigella naan was the best naan any of us ever had. The hot date cake with coffee ice cream and pecans ended the night just right. Poppy is crowded so the only warning would be for those in a rush. For those with time, sit back and enjoy your dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as always.k2013Dined on 4/8/2014Consistently wonderful food. They were a little busy thanks to Restaurant Week, but the food was as perfect as always.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always goodNedKellyDined on 4/7/2014Poppy is always an enjoyable experience. it is very different to other restaurants but it is creative and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wasn't a fanelfishDined on 4/7/2014meh...service was slow (but friendly) and food wasn't impressive. In general I felt like the food was overspiced with very strong flavors, and I'm generally very fond of Indian food. We don't plan to return.
- Traunfelds followerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/7/2014This guy remains prophetic in expanding culinary horizons.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just missed the markampersandDined on 4/5/2014The concept behind Poppy is wonderful. Revolving menu features a main dish accompanied by several small plates served together as a complete experience. No one plate was bad, though we found the cohesion of the pairings to be somewhat lacking. Plates are meant to be shared, though many of our accompaniments were the same--a fact not lost on us given we had ordered different mains with the purpose of sharing across. Our waiter, Carl, was delightful, attentive, and struck an amazing, conversational tone with us from the start. He was certainly the highlight of our meal. Over all, it was a good experience, and we would be interested in returning to see if the pairings were a flukey misstep.Special Features:
- Always a favoritesumitsumitDined on 4/4/2014My love and I go to Poppy often for cocktails or thalis; this particular night it was thalis and as usual we were not disappointed. Delicious food, wonderful cocktails, a lovely setting. Poppy is simply one of the best spots in Capitol Hill.Special Features:
- Nice place for an evening meetLookOutStomachHereItComesDined on 3/31/2014Reserved a table for 9 pm. It was slow to moderately busy when we were there. We stuck with wine and lighter fare, appetizers. The appetizers were very good, and the wine recommendations from our hostess were on target.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unusual & FabulousMonarchXDined on 3/31/2014Rhubarb chutney, black coconut rice, fresh black cod w miso sauce, ajwain naan... This restaurant is as unique as it is delicious. In Seattle for 3 days and searched this place out of dozens of surf/turf snout to tail same old thing. This is fusion at its finest: creative, fresh, flavors that zing around each other in surprising harmony. Cocktails are lovely too & compliment this unique pallet. I had to take off a bit for service because they lost our ticket after ordering causing our meal to be a long wait but they handhelds it beautifly, apologized up front explaining (rather than bluffing) what happened and comping us a drink. These things happen and they handeled it perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent, really enjoyedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/30/2014Excellent, really enjoyed the thali style of eating.Special Features:
- Poppy is a great choice ifDavidDined on 3/29/2014Poppy is a great choice if you like a chef-driven menu, a wide variety of flavors, and incredibly well cooked foods. The quality and variety of dishes on the thalis menu is amazing -- definitely one of my top 10 restaurants in Seattle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service dragging Poppy downMauracaDined on 3/28/2014I have been a big fan of Poppy for years. I still love the food and the place. Bur the last 3 times I have gone, service as been absolutely terrible. It starts with a snotty, attitude rich server. It ends with having to chase down another server to pay our bill. I would encourage Poppy's management to take service more seriously.
- We enjoy Poppy's every time…….SeattleladyVIPDined on 3/28/2014We dined at Poppy's this week with a couple that had never been there. All four of us truly loved the food and drinks served up at this wonderful restaurant. I am always impressed with the knowledge of the waitstaff. They are extremely well versed on each and every dish. All of us loved our selections and did a great job cleaning our plates. Already thinking about our return visit!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.