Roy's - La Jolla
8670 Genesee Avenue
San Diego, CA 92122Neighborhood:
La Jolla / Golden Triangle
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Roy's - La Jolla
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://roysrestaurant.com/locations/CA/la_jolla.asp
- Phone: 8584551616
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Friday only 11:30am to 2:30pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm -10:00pm
Sunday & Monday: 5:00 - 9:00pm
Aloha Hour offered daily 4:30pm - 6:30pm in the bar
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Asian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Charles Andres
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events:
PACIFIC RIM COOKING CLASS
Third Saturdays, Noon - 2 pm
$50 per person
(price includes lunch, experience, one class of wine, excludes tax and gratuity)
Join Chef Charles Andres and learn to create the quintessential Pacific Rim experience in your own home. At this special lunch and learn, you'll discover the skills needed to recreate each of these dishes at home, to the delight of your friends and family! Monthly classes are seasonally themed, so please email firstname.lastname@example.org of call (858) 455-1616 for details.
Waina Hui (wine club) is our monthly gathering of friends to sample wines from around the world and to share in the enticing flavors of Roy’s Hawaiian Fusion cuisine.
Cost is $25 per guest and tastings are held monthly from 5:00-6:30pm and include a sampling of Roy’s signature appetizers. Reservations required.
A word from Roy's - La Jolla
Blending classic techniques with adventurous Pacific Rim flavors, culinary pioneer Roy Yamaguchi created an entirely new approach to fine dining. The first Roy's opened in Honolulu in 1988 and we've spread our warm hospitality and passion for innovative and creative cuisine around the world ever since. Indulge in one of our spectacular cocktails or choose a glass from our award-winning wine list while you discover the fresh ingredients and outstanding seafood, expertly prepared by our local chefs that made us famous.Continued
We invite you to join us at Roy's La Jolla located at the heart of La Jolla's bustling business district.
We invite you to join us at Roy's La Jolla located at the heart of La Jolla's bustling business district.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Roy's - La Jolla - Best Restaurants in La Jolla / Golden Triangle ›
Roy's - La Jolla reviews from OpenTable diners
124 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (70)fit for foodies (68)good for groups (38)neighborhood gem (33)romantic (32)vibrant bar scene (27)hot spot (17)notable wine list (16)kid-friendly (15)great for lunch (14)late-night find (3)great for brunch (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Anniversary dinnerDianaDined on 7/24/2014We enjoyed celebrating our wedding anniversary at Roys this year. It was our first visit. Loved the casual friendly atmosphere. Servers were super friendly. Food was amazing. We had the butterfish and rib eye, which we shared. Both prepared perfectly with so much flavor. We had the kimchee and tempera vegetables on the side to share as well. The drinks were delicious. We had a seasonal Cosmopolitan and the Mai Tai.. Such great flavor. Top notch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant poor wine listLarryDined on 7/21/2014One issue was that we had a 6:45 reservation and weren't seated til 7:15. The noise level at the holding level was very high. Once in, the service was great . Food was outstanding but pricey. Wine list for a place that serves fish was way too red heavy with high tannins for fish. Even the Pinot Noirs were heavy type.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodLP48Dined on 7/18/2014Good food! However, the portions were very small. I ordered the Roy's Trio platter and it came with 3 bite size fishes. After an hour or two, I was hungry again. The 3-course meal that my husband ordered was a better option.Special Features:
- special lunch spotkpigVIPDined on 7/18/2014I love it that Roy's is open for lunch on Fridays. What a treat. I took my 8 yr old grandson for a special lunch. We had such a good time. Roy's does a wonderful job getting food to kids quickly and it's quality food. He loves the appetizer of cheese quesadilla, fruit and celery with dip, his main course of the teriyaki salmon and the sundae and the Edamame--he ate every bite and helped me with my dessert. Roy's has a fabulous petite filet. What a treat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the Aloha HourPeteMVIPDined on 7/13/2014Prices are reasonable and you can try a variety of items when they are all nearly half price (including drinks). Nice that it goes until 7pm as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious SeafoodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/1/2014Roy's never disappoints with their seafood and GREAT Hawaiian martini!Special Features:
- They Did It Right For UsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/19/2014I love good salmon, and theirs was truly exceptional. I pride myself on being a pretty good seafood cook, but I'm still wondering how they kept the salmon so moist. Expertly seasoned, too. I also prize professional service, and everyone working there understands exactly what that is. Attentive, cheerful, bright, but genuine and focused on the diners' experience. The atmosphere was casually elegant and the nearly full house was buzzing lightly with happy customers, but not too loud. We expected good but got great. We'll look forward to our next visit.Special Features:
- Good Food but OverpricedDisappointedDined on 6/18/2014While the food is very inventive and innovative, the price for the portion size is outrageous. Stick to the food in the bar at happy hour. Drinks are reasonably priced and so is the food.Special Features:
- Solid Place for a Work DinnerRichDined on 6/17/2014Had a great time with out of town vendors. It's close by work if you're in the UTC area and an early dinner is always easy - never too packed at 5:30 or 6 (though it can get a lot busier later). Their seafood never disappoints and tonight was no different. Will definitely be back.Special Features:
- fantasticfrequentdinerVIPDined on 6/15/2014Roy's La Jolla is one of my favorite restaurants. The Father's Day special of filet and lobster was wonderful.Special Features:
- Great as usualWayneAZVIPDined on 6/13/2014Service and food quality is always great. The "butterfish" was the best I have anywhere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost outstandingTLSDDined on 6/11/2014I could have rated this Restaurant outstanding but We felt like we are being rushed to finish because we were visited at least 3 times by the bus boy asking if we are done and if he can take our plate even though there is still food on it. I think it's beciase we pause eating and have conversation. I must say the food is outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great restaurantRLBLVIPDined on 6/11/2014We celebrated our 3rd anniversary at Roy's and the staff & management made it extra special. As always the food never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special lunch with granddaughtersKGM1VIPDined on 6/6/2014Celebrating last day of school. Service was amazing. Great food and kid friendly menu without being limited to mac and cheese! The super sized sundaes included in the kid lunch were unexpected and delicious.Special Features:
- Great Place3jsssVIPDined on 6/5/2014It was our first time, and definitely won't be our last time. My husband and son had fish specials and they raved about them. I had the lobster roll and it was delicious. The service was impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Roy's dinner!SashaDined on 6/1/2014My hubby and I went to Roy's for dinner on Sunday night. We made our reservation through OpenTable and when we arrived they had the reservation and the special note I had added to my reservation. I requested a booth and they were able to seat us at one. Our meal was yummmy....I had mahi mahi ....the hubby had salmon....we had some chardonnay that was very good. It was a very nice dinner. All the servers we came into contact with were very professional, knowledgeable about the menu and it's preparation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/31/2014I ORDERED THE HANGAR STEAK. i'm not certain I know what I was served as it seemed to be a portion of leather, almost unchewable. Fortunately it was cut into portions so that I could swallow whole pieces of steak which would not yield to chewing. A memorable experience, but one that I would not wish to be repeated.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/31/2014It was a great time and wonderful food. We enjoyed it.Special Features:
- Roy's TriokanebelleDined on 5/26/2014The remodel gives it a more modern - Pacific Rim and less island look and feel, bit its the Roy's Trio that keeps us coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- chas980VIPDined on 5/25/2014The best salmon my wife has had. I also enjoyed the braised short ribs. The food here is just excellent, you have a view of the sparkling kitchen too. A finely run operation. Service by John was also excellent. Roy's surpassed all of our expectations, will be returning.Special Features:
- Couldn't ask for a better evening.charlie8111VIPDined on 5/24/2014We were here for my daughter's graduation and my mother in law's birthday the other evening. The service was incredible. I liked their personal touches of preparing a special menu insert for the celebrants. The food, including all the Aloha Hour appetite specials, was excellent. All the entrees were prepared well. I thought their wine list was very well thought out, particularly offering a number of reasonably priced Pinot Noirs. The hostess even took a picture of our party and gave a printed copy to my daughter and her grandmother. All in all, we couldn't have asked for a better evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 409 reviews are from the Roy's - La Jolla reviews archive.
- Great foodFamilymanDined on 5/18/2014The service here is always amazing and so is the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServicesocalgirlVIPDined on 5/17/2014Really enjoyed our dinner at Roy's La Jolla this weekend. The resturant provided excellent service, going above and beyond to ensure we had an wonderful dining experience. Highly recommend.I would recommend this to a friend.
- special occasionharelymanDined on 5/17/2014My son and son-in-law were both starting new career opportunities so I wanted to take everyone out for a nice dinner in celebration. The food was great, the service was great, and the price actually reasonable. The only negative might have been the noise level. Though not a problem for us, it could be an issue for a romantic dinner for two.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always on pointlillorDined on 5/17/2014Excellent service and a decent price. Food is best!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Waiter was extremly courteous!!NathanDined on 5/15/2014Great experience. Great food. Lobster potstickers are an amaizing treat. Filet mignon perfect!! Defenetly will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome and unique menu selection!DianaDined on 5/11/2014As always, the food was excellent along with the service! Always something new on the menu and have never been disappointed! :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RoysDonna239Dined on 5/10/2014The food was I edible. My sea bass was way undercooked and my husband's mahi mahi was really over cooked. The server was very nice and the restaurant ended up chomping our meals. With so many incredible restaurants in San Diego, I am sorry, but we will not be back.
- Very Satisfied AgainFoodieVIPDined on 5/8/2014I have started to eat here at Roy's every time I'm in San Diego and I have never been disappointed. I had the Chilean Sea Bass and it was excellent. One person in our group ate vegan and was also very satisfied. They do very well with their wine list. Always changing just a little and always satisfying. I'll be back.Special Features:
- Not what it used to beSDdinerDined on 4/29/2014We've been coming to Roy's for years and, sadly, it's not what it used to be. On our most recent visit, we were celebrating a birthday. While Roy's used to bring out a birthday dessert, now a curly ribbon on the table is the extent of their birthday "celebration." As far as food goes, the misoyaki butterfish is our family's favorite. About six months ago, the fabulous flavor changed, much less intense (less marinating time?). Service has also been hit and miss over the past few months. For example, the servers are quick to let you know about the special 20-minute desserts, but they no longer bring dessert menus for the diners who don't order a "special" dessert. These small changes add up to a big change in the dining experience at Roy's.Special Features:
- ButterfishCfood1Dined on 4/26/2014The seafood combo was delicious both in presentation and taste. Especially the Butterfish (Alaskan Cod) I would get it again. The ambiance of the bar area and small room and waiting lounge was much more preferable to the loud open dining area opposite the kitchen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- poor ambiance and LOUDMarioDined on 4/25/2014food & service outstanding....BUT; noise was LOUD and distracted greatly from the ambience - unfortunatly where I was seated I could see 2 large screen TV's over the Bar so throughout the dinner even though I tried to not look at the baseball game, every time I looked at my wife, the movement and flashes of light and color on either side of her head were constantly disturbing. If I wanted to eat and watch sports I would have gone to Applebee's.
- thursday dinnerscotcatVIPDined on 4/24/2014Food and service great but too loud to have decent chatSpecial Features:
- Always a great mealLes1Dined on 4/18/2014Enjoyed the new menu. Roy's service is first rate.Special Features:
- Married couple date night out.ExoticCarFoodieDined on 4/18/2014Enjoyed our meal at Roy's as we always have. We have eaten at a Roy's restaurant including this one in La Jolla many many times. We enjoy the overall experience and food every time. Aloha!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK, but not reliably excellentScottyVIPDined on 4/16/2014My wife & I have dined at Roy's La Jolla perhaps 4-5 times over the past couple of years, and on most occasions we've found the quality of the food very variable - some dishes are exquisite, others are mediocre. We ate there last week, and sure enough, the dishes covered the gamut -- one dish was fabulous, another acceptable, and one was really poor (calamari - cold, dry, chewy, tasteless). The place always seems to be quite busy - which is a puzzle to us, because the food is not only variable in quality, it's also relatively expensive for what you get. Good service though. And pleasant ambience.
- Cameron our waiter was onsbmoserDined on 4/10/2014Cameron our waiter was on top of things at all times and was knowledgeable., Sid, managing partner, was also very friendly and interested in hearing what the patrons had to say.Special Features:
- Not very goodRoseyDined on 4/5/2014We have been going to Roy's for almost 8 years - but not anymore. That was absolutely our last time. The food has changed for the WORSE. They took a perfect Roy's menu where for the past 8 years, every meal was outstanding, and changed it to something very very mediocre. Even the little things are bad - imagine serving a mai tai with slice of lime instead of pineapple. Imagine serving calamari with jalapeno. There are so many good restaurants in San Diego, there is no need for us to go back to Roy's until they bring back the old menu. And we are not the only ones making this observation. There is no comparison between the old menu and the new - the new is just BAD.
- Noisy!HelgamsDined on 4/3/2014The bar scene is extremely noisy, it overshadows the food and everything else. We asked to be seated as far from the bar as possible which made it somewhat tolerable. Perhaps this is an attraction for the younger crowd, but I am from a generation that still values conversation. The food was quite good, but the noise did not improve it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent lunch selection,OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 3/28/2014Excellent lunch selection, available only on Fridays. The calamari appetizer was wonderful and set the stage for the fine food that was to follow. The lobster rolls with french fries were great as was the grilled chicken sandwich with sweet potato fries and the shrimp pasta. Everybody left happy and sated. Wish it were open for lunch all week long!Special Features: