Roy's - La Jolla
8670 Genesee Avenue
San Diego, CA 92122Neighborhood:
La Jolla / Golden Triangle
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Roy's - La Jolla
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://roysrestaurant.com/locations/CA/la_jolla.asp
- Phone: 8584551616
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Friday only 11:30am to 2:30pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm -10:00pm
Sunday & Monday: 5:00 - 9:00pm
Aloha Hour offered daily 4:30pm - 6:30pm in the bar
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Asian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Charles Andres
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events:
PACIFIC RIM COOKING CLASS
Third Saturdays, Noon - 2 pm
$50 per person
(price includes lunch, experience, one class of wine, excludes tax and gratuity)
Join Chef Charles Andres and learn to create the quintessential Pacific Rim experience in your own home. At this special lunch and learn, you'll discover the skills needed to recreate each of these dishes at home, to the delight of your friends and family! Monthly classes are seasonally themed, so please email email@example.com of call (858) 455-1616 for details.
Waina Hui (wine club) is our monthly gathering of friends to sample wines from around the world and to share in the enticing flavors of Roy’s Hawaiian Fusion cuisine.
Cost is $25 per guest and tastings are held monthly from 5:00-6:30pm and include a sampling of Roy’s signature appetizers. Reservations required.
A word from Roy's - La Jolla
Blending classic techniques with adventurous Pacific Rim flavors, culinary pioneer Roy Yamaguchi created an entirely new approach to fine dining. The first Roy's opened in Honolulu in 1988 and we've spread our warm hospitality and passion for innovative and creative cuisine around the world ever since. Indulge in one of our spectacular cocktails or choose a glass from our award-winning wine list while you discover the fresh ingredients and outstanding seafood, expertly prepared by our local chefs that made us famous.Continued
We invite you to join us at Roy's La Jolla located at the heart of La Jolla's bustling business district.
We invite you to join us at Roy's La Jolla located at the heart of La Jolla's bustling business district.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Roy's - La Jolla - Best Restaurants in La Jolla / Golden Triangle ›
Roy's - La Jolla reviews from OpenTable diners
124 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (69)fit for foodies (68)good for groups (38)neighborhood gem (32)romantic (31)vibrant bar scene (27)hot spot (16)kid-friendly (15)notable wine list (15)great for lunch (14)late-night find (3)great for brunch (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- We went on December 30th andOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/30/2010We went on December 30th and it was quite busy, by 7pm all of the tables were taken. They have a great sushi happy hour that starts at 5 and since our reservation was for 6pm we had though about going to it but decided against it. Unfortunately, when we sat down for dinner and were about to order a sushi platter, the server informed us that they were completely out all sushi, sahsimi, and basically all fish that could be eaten raw and said that there wouldn't be anymore available for at least 30 minutes. We thought that was too long and ordered our entrees. However, we ended up waiting for 45 minutes to get our entrees and 30 minutes for fried appetizers. Our food was excellent when it came - seared ahi, shellfish sampler, and butterfish.Special Features:
- Really enjoyed the diningOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/29/2010Really enjoyed the dining experience. Excellent seafood prepared in a innovated manner. Server knowledgeable and helpful!!Special Features:
- Fantastic food, attentiveCathyMcGVIPDined on 12/28/2010Fantastic food, attentive service without being overly pushy. Love the lobster potstickers!Special Features:
- It isn't the best food butksalDined on 12/26/2010It isn't the best food but the food is always consistently good; Not great but Good. The service is always attentive and solid. I would recommend for before movie spot or somewhere that you don't have to worry about it being a big production.
- With the "open kitchen" layout,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/4/2010With the "open kitchen" layout, it seemed a bit noisy. It was difficult to have a conversation at our table for 4. The table seemed a bit large for 4 persons, as well. Service is great. On the $$$$ side, we thought.Special Features:
- While traveling for work,OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 11/29/2010While traveling for work, I have visited several times -- once with a small group and the remainder solo. The service personnel have been at best indifferent if not off-putting. Each time the hostesses have had me wait for a table despite showing up on time and having a good number of open tables on the floor. They also insist on putting me at a small table next to the bar which is noisier than I want as I would like to enjoy my book; also they seated a couple with a small child next to me. My server rarely made eye contact and most of the time placed the food on my table while turned away from me. On this last trip, the calamari was uncharacteristically greasy. I will likely not return unless I get another carving for the Butterfish.Special Features:
- This time the food was slightlyHarryVIPDined on 11/19/2010This time the food was slightly too salty, but otherwise good. Good service.
- The food was great, and IOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/6/2010The food was great, and I am so happy to have discovered a restaurant in my neighborhood that has a gluten free menu. There hardly are any restaurants that have it, let alone in my area.
- The food was excellent andVegasMau5Dined on 11/5/2010The food was excellent and our waiter was very helpful in making a selection. It is Hawaiian fusion, so we didn't really have a clue about what to order. Our waiter David explained everything to us and made some very good recommendations. I would definitely recommend this restaurant for the food and service.
- We can't get enough of Roy's!JohnKVIPDined on 10/30/2010We can't get enough of Roy's! Be adventurous and try something on the menu you've never had before. Your taste buds will say, "Mahalo"! john & bethSpecial Features:
- Roy's is a staple in our household.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/23/2010Roy's is a staple in our household. We can always depend on good food, service & ambiance.Special Features:
- Beautiful presentation, greatOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/23/2010Beautiful presentation, great dessert, steaks were good but not outstanding.
- Roy's in any town is worthMsRoxieVIPDined on 10/17/2010Roy's in any town is worth more than one visit. The atmosphere is casual but the food is seriously well prepared.Special Features:
- Wow! Roy's ceases to amazeJohnKVIPDined on 10/16/2010Wow! Roy's ceases to amaze us every time we visit! Honestly, we could go every single week and never get tired of the kitchens creativity, the fantastic service and the energy level of the entire restaurant! Truly our favorite restaurant in San Diego! john & bethSpecial Features:
- Except for the noise levelOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/2/2010Except for the noise level which made conversation difficult to hear, our experience at Roy's was memorable. Attentive wait staff, food that was especially delicious and overall friendliness of the staff made for a delightful experience. David, our waiter, guided us through menu choices and helped insure excellent food selections. A very personable young man.Special Features:
- The quality of the food isErnieDined on 9/29/2010The quality of the food is good; very small portions; and noise level is extremely loud! Not the place for a romantic anniversary celebration.Special Features:
- Our experience at this locationOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 9/23/2010Our experience at this location was mixed. The food was very good but it was so loud we had great difficulty talking within our table for four. Our server made several mistakes in our order that were corrected. Very different dining than in our previous time at Poipu.
- Great place for a specialOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/14/2010Great place for a special occasion. The food, especially the Ahi Tuna (both the tartare and the mustard sauce entree) and the Butterfish were exceptionally delicious. The anniversary dessert was a welcome surprise. Excellent service from all the staff.Special Features:
- FABULOUS! food was exquisite,OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/11/2010FABULOUS! food was exquisite, wine selection was awesome...service rating blemished only by a particularly surly table busser. otherwise wait staff was excellent!
- Courteous welcome. AttentiveOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/11/2010Courteous welcome. Attentive and helpful service. Comp edamame a nice touch which begged for the beer we ordered. Good combo. 3 or 4 appetizers were terrific. Fourth had surprisingly tasty tomato foam but the organic tomato slices were disappointingly tasteless and mealy. What is about organic tomatoes that they're so hit and miss? We haven't found any great ones this summer and apparently neither has Roy's. Two entrees were tasty and well presented....the Triple Plate of fish satisfied two people. The filet was tasty but soooooo small. Hardly enough for a main course. Dessert, we shared the tasty peach creation and the incredibly delicious chocolate offering. Two of us favored the former and two favored the latter. Yea
- Roy's never disappoints ...burberrydebbieDined on 9/6/2010Roy's never disappoints ... except, I asked for a Vegetarian menu and it was dull (Tofu stir fry), so I ordered a shellfish dish off the "regular" menu. The special martinis are yummy, and I wish I had saved room for the chocolate dessert.Special Features:
- Expensive and slow slow slow.ZippyzopDined on 8/29/2010Expensive and slow slow slow. Entrees took 55 min.Special Features:
- Roy's is run like a well oiledHensel310VIPDined on 8/13/2010Roy's is run like a well oiled machine. The service is superb, engaging, friendly but not overbearing or intrusive. the food was fantastic beginning with the spicy edamame that arrived at the table moments after we sat down. My salmon was terrific and my dinner guests' meals were equally delicious. The entire experience was fabulous. I will return many many times with many many people.Special Features:
- There was a time and a placeMelloDined on 8/10/2010There was a time and a place for Roy's. Sadly, this isn't the time and the LaJolla store sure isn't the place. We've been going to Roy's since his early days in Hawaii, but in the past half dozen years or so, every time we dine at a Roy's location we leave disappointed. Roy's has gone from being an exciting experience in Pan Asian fusion cuisine to just one of many pretenders in this genre. Quality has not kept pace with the growth of the empire, but at least the pot stickers are still as good as ever! So sit at the bar, have an drink, order the pot stickers and maybe a Haleakula roll. You'll leave happy and you won't feel ripped-off.
- Everything is wonderful! GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/8/2010Everything is wonderful! Great dining experience. We go early so we can bring our son... he is a baby. They are not really a "family style restaurant" having no high chairs or place to put car seats, but we put the car seat in a chair and pray he doesn't cry. The food is to die for! However, they do have a new policy (cost) for substituting on their fixed menu $5. Everyone is super friendly who works there (UTC-La Jolla location). Parking isn't too bad and they have vallet if you don't feel like circling the lot.Special Features:
- The food was excellent butOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/29/2010The food was excellent but the salmon on the Roy's Trio was overcooked.Special Features:
- we were pleasantly surprisedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/12/2010we were pleasantly surprised - we went expecting large, pineapple-laden portions (picturing a Hawaiian luau), but the fixed menu ("Prix Fixe")was very fine (similar portions to a good French restaurant). We went back a second time and found it to be just as good as the first, but a little perplexed where the "Hawaiian" came in - it was California French Fusion, in our estimate. And a very good quality to value ratio. A real keeper.Special Features:
- Roy's La Jolla is a greatCRUZDelFriscoVIPDined on 7/4/2010Roy's La Jolla is a great and wonderful restaurant. The food is always served fresh and well presented. I always go to this restaurant whenever I'm in San Diego area. Everytime I come, I always feel welcomed.Special Features: