El Gaucho - Seattle
2505 First Avenue
Seattle, WA 98121Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $50 and over
El Gaucho - Seattle
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.elgaucho.com/
- Phone: 2067281337x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: Lounge 4:00pm – 10:00pm, Dinner service begins at 5:00pm
Friday - Saturday: Lounge 4:00pm – 12:00am; dinner service begins at 5:00pm.
Happy Hour: Sunday - Monday: all night
Tuesday - Thursday 9:00pm - - close
Friday - Saturday 10:00pm - close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Matthew Brandsey
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live piano music seven days a week.
- Special Events: Private dining at El Gaucho is a memorable occasion. Our beautiful and incomparable private rooms are available for lunch and dinner service Monday through Friday and dinner service on the weekends. We also provide buyouts of our entire restaurant. Please contact Brooke Lee at 206-267-5510 or firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
A word from El Gaucho - Seattle
Named as “the definitive steakhouse in the country,” El Gaucho’s award-winning menu features 28-Day Dry-Aged Niman Ranch All-Natural Certified Angus Beef® Brand Prime steaks and custom aged Certified Angus Beef® brand tenderloin filets, ribs, pork, poultry and the freshest seafood, all prepared to perfection over an open bed of glowing coals in an exhibition-style kitchen. Our extensive wine list is award-winning, and happy hour menu is widely recognized as one of Seattle’s best. Live music is offered nightly.Continued
El Gaucho is the Northwest’s steakhouse legacy focused on old-school, tableside service. We revel in helping guests create a night to remember.
El Gaucho is the Northwest’s steakhouse legacy focused on old-school, tableside service. We revel in helping guests create a night to remember.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
El Gaucho - Seattle - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
El Gaucho - Seattle reviews from OpenTable diners
136 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (106)romantic (95)fit for foodies (65)notable wine list (61)neighborhood gem (19)good for groups (17)late-night find (16)vibrant bar scene (15)hot spot (13)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great dinner, ambiance and servicediningbirdVIPDined on 6/6/2014El Gaucho is one of our very favorite restaurants. The food is always first rate and cooked perfectly and the service is friendly and warm, leaving you feeling like special guests. We were celebrating our anniversary and the captain chose a perfect WA Bordeaux style blend wine to go with our Chateaubriand. The meat was cooked perfectly. We also had the Cesar salad tableside and key lime pie for dessert. The key lime pie was the only slight disappointment. I think it should have been more tart and the crust was a little thick. El Gaucho has a great diners club as well and we had $50 put on our card for us for our anniversary. Overall a wonderful evening and dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/31/2014I haven't been to this restaurant for many years. It was better than before and the service, fantastic. Our server Rebecca was spot on. Everything was top notch, but I still remember the tableside Caesar Salad the most. The flavor was divine and I could eat that all night ! Who could get so excited over lettuce? I can't wait to go back. What I really liked was that even though it was busy, we were NOT RUSHED. We were there about 2.5 hours and it was just perfect. The way to dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- "Knock your socks off" experience?VinnieSDined on 5/29/2014Unfortunately, it just wasn't a "knock your socks off" experience. It used to be "THE" place to go, but this visit didn't exactly line up to $300 dinner standards. What didn't work? > Our waitress didn't know much about the wine list, but she sent over "the wine gal" who suggested a great wine > The host and others were friendly, but not polished in their service > The food was good (the steak was fantastic, but the lobster & shrimp were a bit over-cooked) What worked? > Our valet went back to the car for us to get a camera we forgot to bring in Would we go back? Maybe for a steak dinner. Maybe it's time to scale back on all the locations and train the staff better on white glove service.Special Features:
- Perfectiondubie2007Dined on 5/28/2014From the time we walked in the door, I knew I had made the right choice for my birthday dinner with my beautiful date. Our waiter, Mock (probably not the correct spelling) was absolutely incredible! A great waiter can definitely make or break a dinner experience, and he only added to the already fantastic and delicious dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/24/2014Loved the "moodiness", the cooking interaction with the wait staff is awesome. Great food to boot!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- El Gaucho was greatDaveVIPDined on 5/24/2014Everything about it was outstanding. We will be back soon.Special Features:
- Not what it used to beexperienceddinerVIPDined on 5/22/2014My wife and hadn't been to El Gaucho in a while and honestly, it was OK. In the past, I would give at at least 4 stars but not anymore. The food quality doesn't match the price any more. Overall the food was a little bland. Needless to say, there are too many choices out there where the value matches or exceeds the price.
- Over-rated!rez42Dined on 5/20/2014I'm sorry but I thought it was over-rated. I had the NY strip and I thought it was somewhat tough. I had originally ordered the steak as medium rare plus - (in between medium rare & medium), our server advised that they tend to cook on the rare side so advised that I go with medium - big mistake, as I felt the steak was over cooked, which contributed to the steak being tough & chewy. Personally, I think there are better steak houses in Seattle. Plus, it is SUPER dark in the restaurant!Special Features:
- Great as always!rafaeltcVIPDined on 5/18/2014We went for a birthday celebration + engagement anniversary. As always the service was top-notch, and the food was impeccable. We went on a Sunday and overall liked it more than on a Saturday night: less crowded!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OMG !!ThatbigguyDined on 5/17/2014After a lot of thought & research I decided Gaucho of Seattle will be the place for our 10 year anniversary dinner. As soon as you enter the restaurant you know you've entered a place that commands respect is going to deliver the same. The staff, the food, the ambience, to the piano in the background all ends up in my opinion to one of the finest places I've ever had dinner. My filet mignon was out of this world, our cocktails amounted to the same caliber. The staff was unparalleled and never felt rushed for anything. I very much so look forward to dining here again. Special thank you to our waiter and my good friend Dominic Justin for steering me to this location.Special Features:
- Always top notchOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/17/2014Can't go wrong here. Fabulous service, food and scene!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and service are spot ongreatDined on 5/17/2014The nice thing about El Gaucho has always been the their terrific servers and quality of food. I've been going to El Gaucho since the late 60's and have never had a bad experience. I would recommend them without hesitation.Special Features:
- Exquisite customer servicepepperlovesalexDined on 5/10/2014We went to El gaucho the day before Mother's Day. We had a great time. 5 stars for customer service, we were even escorted to the wash room which is a plus! For dinner we ordered the mushroom truffle soup for app and I ordered French Rib Chop and it was so tender. My Mom ordered the steak trio and was bit disappointed because her steak were a little tough. My husband ordered the filet which was superb. The sides that we had were mashed potatoes with lobster gravy and mushroom risotto. The lobster mash was okay, the one in Portland was better while the risotto was good! The complementary dessert finished it off. We were so full by the end of dinner. Would def recommend going there!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Belated birthday dinnerGiselleDined on 5/10/2014My spouse made this reservation to celebrate my birthday. She requested a table with a booth. The lighting in the booth area was not enough so we sat at a well lit table. We still had to use the mini flash lights to read the menu. We have been patrons to the Tacoma location many times and the Seattle location is just as nice and service just as wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- early dinner leaves room to relaxOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/10/2014we could only get a 5:00 pm reservation. Turned out to be great as we really enjoyed our dinner experience. Had time to catch an 8:30 movieSpecial Features:
- Great service and foodVJJJDined on 5/9/2014This is a pricey, but the service and food were wonderful. Water glass was never empty or even low. Tasting menu was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always specialHappyDined on 5/7/2014I took my wife here for our anniversary (a few times now). We held my daughter's graduation party here. Whether it's happy hour or dinner, it always feels special.Special Features:
- Fantastic special occasionOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/4/2014We went to El Gaucho for a birthday dinner and it was hands down the best accommodations for a special occasion that I have ever experienced. The food (I highly recommend the tasting menu) and the service was wonderful, but the extra attention for the birthday without drawing extra attention was exceptional.Special Features:
- Just OK this timeDarrenTVIPDined on 5/2/2014I've dined at El Gaucho 3 times in past but only sat in bar. This time was in dining room. They were busy and service was definitely slow. I had a $74 bone in NY which had good flavor but was mostly tough. My GF had seared tuna that was good but lacked in flavor. Overall it wasn't a horrible experience but nothing to rave about especially given the cost. I dine at many high end restaurants and tonight's experience would put them out of business quickly. Perhaps a sign of why this restaraunt has moved to running Groupon type deals??Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luv2dineoutDined on 5/2/2014This was our first time at El Gaucho. We have heard so many great comments, this was exciting to try. My husband ordered Seafood Linguini where the shrimp were all freezer burnt! The scallops were over cooked and rubbery! Mind you this is a $50 meal. No quality to the preparation and execution. My step mom ordered a scallop dish as well, and not our surprise the scallops were over cooked. My husband had the waitress take back his dish and get a steak in return which was done to perfection! Once the bill came, we were upset that there was no discount taken for the disgusting first dish plus there was an extra plate charge fee when we had no extra plates on the table. We won't be back, there are other Steak Houses in Seattle that are betterSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/1/2014We went to El Gaucho for my son's birthday. It was a Thursday night and the restaurant was pretty empty. We had great service and the food was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Favorite PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/27/2014We dine at El Gaucho in Tacoma a lot. It is in our opinion a better layout and ambiance in Tacoma. We dined on a Sunday night on our anniversary. The table had rose petals on it with a card from El Gaucho (that was really nice). The food was good but husband had one piece of meat in the trio that was not good cut, he said. Our waiter was great but we did feel like it all seemed rushed. Not the usual from this excellent restaurant! We will still go here because it just is not the usual experience.Special Features:
- Awesome!BL123VIPDined on 4/25/2014Been here a few times, never disappoints. It's expensive, but worth is once in a while if you've got the $$!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic EleganceGayCynicDined on 4/20/2014Some restaurants emulate a particular era or theme, and then dial them up a notch. El Gaucho takes all that was good about a 1950's Seattle steak and seafood house and dials it up that critical notch. Excellent food combined with top quality service and both the willingness and ability to accomodate the needs of the under 21 and over 85 crowds without "dumbing it down" make El Gaucho a notable experience.Special Features:
- the worst in seattleospreyboatsDined on 4/19/2014we had visited the restaurant 10 years ago we were regulars,WE WILL NEVER GO AGAIN! I paid 62.00 for steak that couldn't be eaten even though it was medium rare. I was so shocked I didn't even send it back,the salad was old ,the potatoes we couldn't eat they were just salt.
- Not greatMissyDined on 4/19/2014Food was cold, had chateaubriand, food plated at the table so both food and sauce were cold. Overpriced for what u get. Don't bother.
- Great and not so greatdslesqDined on 4/16/2014When I made the reservation I requested that I be able to sit next to my wife because I wear hearing aids and they are difficult in large places. When I arrived the hostess told me that they had a table immediately or that there was a booth coming available in "just a few minutes." The few minutes turned into an hour with no apology from the staff until I went over and advised them of the time lapse after 45 minutes. Once we were seated the food was great as was the service. But still, the taste of the wait left a bitter feeling in my mouth and elsewhere.Special Features:
- Par de ExcellenceMCraneDined on 4/16/2014A fun and delicious evening. Outstanding service and the food was fresh and vibrant. I highly recommend this top chop style restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Attention to detailOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/13/2014El Gaucho is a classy place. Excellent service, well-prepared food, wonderful atmosphere made special by talented piano player.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night outOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 4/13/2014The food, service and ambience was wonderful! It's definitely a wonderful experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- How to spoil yourself !OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/13/2014Go to El Gaucho if you want a truly memorable eating experience. Even if you have a short memory, you won't forget the wonderful food preparation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not stupendousOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/12/2014We were really looking forward to a high end outstanding steakhouse but were fairly disappointed. No complaints about our servers or tableside salad preparation. The staff was friendly, courteous and helpful and our Ceasar Salad was very nicely dressed. However our food was only average and definitely not worth $68 and $75 entrees. My NY Steak was somewhat tough and gristly, and the $24 lobster mash was nothing special at all. The crowning blow was finding the restrooms dirty and obviously not serviced all evening. I'll stick with Canlis or Daniel's Broiler when I want to splurge for a good steak dinner and dining experience.Special Features:
- great foodglowormDined on 4/12/2014Good food, great service. A little noisy. However, that would not stop me from going again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a wonderful, romanticOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/11/2014Had a wonderful, romantic dinner with my sweetheart. Everything about the experience was perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seattle Restaurant weekMichelleDined on 4/10/2014We were dining during the Seattle restaurant week, they served big plates, nice ambianceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SteaksSaturnsnoopyDined on 4/10/2014The steaks are tender and melt in your mouth. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- El Gaucho during Restaurant WeekDottDined on 4/10/2014It was packed, loud and what was with the plaid shirts? The flight of wine to complement the food was a nice touch, but the kale salad was a bit overwhelming. I'm sure it has a much more intimate feel at any other time of the year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a pleasureMelMcDined on 4/10/2014Dining at El Gaucho is always a pleasure. The food is terrific, the service impeccable, and the ambiance very inviting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/9/2014The steak was delicious and dessert very tasty. It was restaurant week so obviously the place was very busy, which impacted Service. The wait staff was very pleasant but not as attentive as we would have expected for a fine dining experience. That said, it was a great experience.Special Features:
- regular guest surprisedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/8/2014I have eaten at El Gaucho about 50 times and this was the first time anyone was outright rude. The female captain informed us the kitchen was closed and that our reservation was 9:30, not 10:00. When I showed her the confirmation I received for 10pm, she sharply asked if I would like to see that their system said 9:30 and we were headed out the door after my wife and daughters had driven up from Auburn through stadium traffic. Thank goodness the chef sent someone else over to let us know we could eat. Rebecca was fantastic and we all ate too much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.