El Gaucho - Seattle
2505 First Avenue
Seattle, WA 98121Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $50 and over
El Gaucho - Seattle
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.elgaucho.com/
- Phone: 2067281337x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: Lounge 4:00pm – 10:00pm, Dinner service begins at 5:00pm
Friday - Saturday: Lounge 4:00pm – 12:00am; dinner service begins at 5:00pm.
Happy Hour: Sunday - Monday: all night
Tuesday - Thursday 9:00pm - - close
Friday - Saturday 10:00pm - close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Matthew Brandsey
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live piano music seven days a week.
- Special Events: Private dining at El Gaucho is a memorable occasion. Our beautiful and incomparable private rooms are available for lunch and dinner service Monday through Friday and dinner service on the weekends. We also provide buyouts of our entire restaurant. Please contact Brooke Lee at 206-267-5510 or email@example.com for details.
A word from El Gaucho - Seattle
El Gaucho is the Northwest's steakhouse legacy focused on elegant old-school, tableside service for people celebrating their lives.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
El Gaucho - Seattle - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
El Gaucho - Seattle reviews from OpenTable diners
123 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (101)romantic (98)notable wine list (58)fit for foodies (56)late-night find (17)vibrant bar scene (16)neighborhood gem (16)good for groups (15)hot spot (13)great for brunch (1)Show More
- luv2dineoutDined on 5/2/2014This was our first time at El Gaucho. We have heard so many great comments, this was exciting to try. My husband ordered Seafood Linguini where the shrimp were all freezer burnt! The scallops were over cooked and rubbery! Mind you this is a $50 meal. No quality to the preparation and execution. My step mom ordered a scallop dish as well, and not our surprise the scallops were over cooked. My husband had the waitress take back his dish and get a steak in return which was done to perfection! Once the bill came, we were upset that there was no discount taken for the disgusting first dish plus there was an extra plate charge fee when we had no extra plates on the table. We won't be back, there are other Steak Houses in Seattle that are betterSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/1/2014We went to El Gaucho for my son's birthday. It was a Thursday night and the restaurant was pretty empty. We had great service and the food was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Favorite PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/27/2014We dine at El Gaucho in Tacoma a lot. It is in our opinion a better layout and ambiance in Tacoma. We dined on a Sunday night on our anniversary. The table had rose petals on it with a card from El Gaucho (that was really nice). The food was good but husband had one piece of meat in the trio that was not good cut, he said. Our waiter was great but we did feel like it all seemed rushed. Not the usual from this excellent restaurant! We will still go here because it just is not the usual experience.Special Features:
- Awesome!BL123Dined on 4/25/2014Been here a few times, never disappoints. It's expensive, but worth is once in a while if you've got the $$!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic EleganceGayCynicDined on 4/20/2014Some restaurants emulate a particular era or theme, and then dial them up a notch. El Gaucho takes all that was good about a 1950's Seattle steak and seafood house and dials it up that critical notch. Excellent food combined with top quality service and both the willingness and ability to accomodate the needs of the under 21 and over 85 crowds without "dumbing it down" make El Gaucho a notable experience.Special Features:
- the worst in seattleospreyboatsDined on 4/19/2014we had visited the restaurant 10 years ago we were regulars,WE WILL NEVER GO AGAIN! I paid 62.00 for steak that couldn't be eaten even though it was medium rare. I was so shocked I didn't even send it back,the salad was old ,the potatoes we couldn't eat they were just salt.
- Not greatMissyDined on 4/19/2014Food was cold, had chateaubriand, food plated at the table so both food and sauce were cold. Overpriced for what u get. Don't bother.
- Great and not so greatdslesqDined on 4/16/2014When I made the reservation I requested that I be able to sit next to my wife because I wear hearing aids and they are difficult in large places. When I arrived the hostess told me that they had a table immediately or that there was a booth coming available in "just a few minutes." The few minutes turned into an hour with no apology from the staff until I went over and advised them of the time lapse after 45 minutes. Once we were seated the food was great as was the service. But still, the taste of the wait left a bitter feeling in my mouth and elsewhere.Special Features:
- Par de ExcellenceMCraneDined on 4/16/2014A fun and delicious evening. Outstanding service and the food was fresh and vibrant. I highly recommend this top chop style restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Attention to detailOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/13/2014El Gaucho is a classy place. Excellent service, well-prepared food, wonderful atmosphere made special by talented piano player.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night outOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/13/2014The food, service and ambience was wonderful! It's definitely a wonderful experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- How to spoil yourself !OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/13/2014Go to El Gaucho if you want a truly memorable eating experience. Even if you have a short memory, you won't forget the wonderful food preparation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not stupendousOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/12/2014We were really looking forward to a high end outstanding steakhouse but were fairly disappointed. No complaints about our servers or tableside salad preparation. The staff was friendly, courteous and helpful and our Ceasar Salad was very nicely dressed. However our food was only average and definitely not worth $68 and $75 entrees. My NY Steak was somewhat tough and gristly, and the $24 lobster mash was nothing special at all. The crowning blow was finding the restrooms dirty and obviously not serviced all evening. I'll stick with Canlis or Daniel's Broiler when I want to splurge for a good steak dinner and dining experience.Special Features:
- great foodglowormDined on 4/12/2014Good food, great service. A little noisy. However, that would not stop me from going again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a wonderful, romanticOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/11/2014Had a wonderful, romantic dinner with my sweetheart. Everything about the experience was perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seattle Restaurant weekMichelleDined on 4/10/2014We were dining during the Seattle restaurant week, they served big plates, nice ambianceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SteaksSaturnsnoopyDined on 4/10/2014The steaks are tender and melt in your mouth. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- El Gaucho during Restaurant WeekDottDined on 4/10/2014It was packed, loud and what was with the plaid shirts? The flight of wine to complement the food was a nice touch, but the kale salad was a bit overwhelming. I'm sure it has a much more intimate feel at any other time of the year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a pleasureMelMcDined on 4/10/2014Dining at El Gaucho is always a pleasure. The food is terrific, the service impeccable, and the ambiance very inviting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/9/2014The steak was delicious and dessert very tasty. It was restaurant week so obviously the place was very busy, which impacted Service. The wait staff was very pleasant but not as attentive as we would have expected for a fine dining experience. That said, it was a great experience.Special Features:
- regular guest surprisedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/8/2014I have eaten at El Gaucho about 50 times and this was the first time anyone was outright rude. The female captain informed us the kitchen was closed and that our reservation was 9:30, not 10:00. When I showed her the confirmation I received for 10pm, she sharply asked if I would like to see that their system said 9:30 and we were headed out the door after my wife and daughters had driven up from Auburn through stadium traffic. Thank goodness the chef sent someone else over to let us know we could eat. Rebecca was fantastic and we all ate too much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Came for SWR dinner. OrderedOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 4/6/2014Came for SWR dinner. Ordered truffle soup and shrimp for appetizers. They are only OK. Soup is definitely better of the two but I have better in other Seattle restaurant. We ordered Braised Tenderloin (Creamy polenta, bordelaise sauce, wild mushrooms) and Tenderloin medallions (bearnaise sauce, crimini mushrooms). The steak is really the best, much better than what we had at Daniel's Broiler. Braised Tenderloin is nice but not so stand out. Would have ordered 2 medallions if we come again. Dessert is also surprisedly good; Chocolate ganache and Baileys bread pudding. Not too sweat and the sauces are there to add additional flavor to the dish, instead of the usual deco. Bread pudding is very diff. than what we had in the past. Great!Special Features:
- Another Great Outing to El GauchoJohnKDined on 4/6/2014We took advantage of Seattle Restaurant Week to dine at El Gaucho with some friends. There's nothing like it. Food was outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restraunt don't go earlyDaveDined on 4/6/2014Great food, service was great, except....The table ordered el gaucho potatoes table side...which I have bragged about for years we were told after we received and pretty finished our main course they weren't ready. Then the waiter brought a bowl of mashed potatoes, he tried, then after we were done with main course the potatoes were "done" 2 Togo and two table side. All in all great food good service... And never go for first service at el gauchoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinnerImTheManDined on 4/5/2014It was our first time here and it was amazing! We loved the romantic atmosphere and the live piano music was a great touch. Our server Ben was awesome and very informative about the menu. We also enjoyed watching the table side preparations, they were neat. Never seen anything like that before. I would definitely come back here. We also stayed at Tree El Gaucho Inn and that was very nice too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb Place!MsLinaDined on 4/5/2014With high ratings and reading reviews, I couldn't pass this by! Service was great, not to mention to put in a request and they had a card set with a Happy Anniversary and that topped it off for me! Nice and dim and food was divine! First time experience was spectacular!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, fun, good piano music!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/5/2014I would recommend this restaurant as a place to go for a special occasion. The food was deliciously cooked and presented in a beautiful way. The attention by our waiter, Craig, was novel and entertaining. The musician at the piano was superb! Wonderful ambiance. The noise level was moderate, so that conversation at the table was easy to hear. An interesting touch was providing small flashlights in order to see the menu. This was the ONLY way that we could have read the menu. I would suggest continuing the flashlights, but would (even with the flashlights) turn the lighting up a notch or two so we could see our food and our company. A bit expensive for us, but well worth the experience for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Only The Name Is The SameOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/5/2014After numerous dining experiences going back about 10 years, El Gaucho has steadily declined to what it is today: Just another expensive place to get a steak. The ambiance is gone, the charm is gone, and the food is acceptable, a far cry from the high standards they once promised AND delivered on. When I read these reviews, I always want to know "why". Service was indifferent, inconsistent. Two orders for filent, both requested "medium well", met different fates; one arrived warm, not hot, the other burnt. A "loaded' baked potato (an ala carte item) has a surcharge (of $4) for bacon? For the surcharge, you'd expect that bacon to be freshly prepared. If you've never been, El Gaucho is decent, but hardly extraordinary.
- Anniversary CelebrationsweetsstuffDined on 4/5/2014We went to El Gaucho's to celebrate our 35th wedding anniversary. It was our first time there but will not be our last. The service and the food are excellent and the restaurant is beautiful. It is a wonderful place for a special occasion or just if your are in the mood for a fantastic meal.Special Features:
- What a Treat - Great Food & ServicemikeitisDined on 4/5/2014One of the best restaurants for food and service we have dined at in a long while - you get what you pay for - a memorable experience! The atmosphere is great - you could visualize Dean Martin or any other "Rat Pack" member making an appearance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An experienceKrysDined on 4/4/2014I enjoyed my dinner here with my date. Great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely wedding giftOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/2/2014We were given the gift of a dinner at El Gaucho as a wedding gift from our in-laws.....and what a lovely gift it was. The food was excellent....from the amazing tuna tartare and prosciutto wrapped prawns to the fruit and cheese. But it was the service that made the evening glorious. Never have either of us felt so cossetted since childhood. Kudos to Creig Kostoff and his tuxedoed colleagues for a wonderful, memorable evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ImpeccableAlaskaCatDined on 3/31/2014Quiet, dark, great service, great Tanqueray martinis, wicked shrimp, steak trio, and creme brulee. A perfect 13th wedding anniversary. It was worth the flight from Anchorage. Thank you, El Gaucho, for an unforgettable evening. Hope to visit you again soon!Special Features:
- Lovely service and evening outftg371Dined on 3/29/2014Always a pleasure to dine at El Gaucho. I live the traditional table- side service offered, and always great menu selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unforgetable experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/28/2014I have taken my wife to this location and we absolutely loved it so I thought since my daughter is doing so well in school that I would take her. It was an absolutely priceless experience. My daughter absolutely loved it, as did I. The liquid nitrogen sundae was one of the coolest presentations I have ever seen. We will absolutely be back again.Special Features:
- El Gaucho is amazing!tlynn247Dined on 3/28/2014The food and service could not have been better. Rebecca was our server and she has worked there since they opened 18 years ago! This restaurant is wonderful and definitely meant for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a Fantastic ExperienceBonyelizDined on 3/23/2014This was a second visit to the El Gaucho in Seattle's Belltown district. They ever fail to impress. The food is expensive, but worth it! If you go expecting a phenomenal steak, you will receive just that. If you want amazing service, you'll get that too. We always look forward to the next special occasion or date night just so we can enjoy this place again. And if you want a great date night or special occasion - spend the night upstairs at the INN. Again, great service and super comfortable beds ad rooms with real leather furniture. Plus they serve wine in the lobby each evening for their guests. Top to bottom, a memorable experience and well worth every penny!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had dinner on 22 March. AllOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/22/2014Had dinner on 22 March. All aspects were great. They sat us at our reserved time. Wait staff was very attentive. Food was terrific, especially having the salad made right at the table. Enjoyed watching the other tables bing served bananas foster too. Two of us had steaks that were cooked perfectly and tender. The girls had scallops with butternut squash that was excellent. The only downside was having a 25 minute wait for their speciality sundae to be made table-side. Apparently there are few staff trained to create the dish and we were 6th or so in line. We ended up canceling dessert. But, as we were leaving, they handed us a bag with a few dessert items for home. Very nice of them. It was a very enjoyable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing setting and service.momand2boysDined on 3/22/2014Amazing setting and service. At first when you walk in it looks very open and not quiet as private, however the layout and the low lighting provide a very romantic setting. There was also live piano music which was incredible! The food was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- C.J.'s wonderful bonusOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/14/2014My boss gave me gift cards to El Gaucho as a Holiday Bonus. I waited until I had something to celebrate and took my best friend out to dinner to say thank you. The food was amazing and the atmosphere and service were wonderful. I plan on coming back for the late night happy hour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.