505 Laurel Street
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cucinaurbana.com/home
- Phone: 6192392222x
- Hours of Operation:
SUNDAY | 4:30p - 9p
MONDAY| 5p - 9p
TUESDAY, WEDNESDAY, THURSDAY | 5p – 10p
FRIDAY + SATURDAY | 5p – 10:30p dinner | 10:30p – 12a pizza + vasi
TUESDAY - THURSDAY | 11:30a-2p
FRIDAY | 11:30a-5p
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Italian
- Executive Chef: Joe Magnanelli
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: URBAN KITCHEN CATERING provides four star, stunning events with menus unique to your occasion. For more information check the URBAN KITCHEN CATERING link on our website www.urbankitchengroup.com or call Alison at 619.239.2222 extension 2. Or if interested in restaurant buyout opportunities, please contact Tiffany Tassano at 619.239.2222 extension 1.
A word from CUCINA urbana
Welcome to CUCINA urbana, a casual Italian American Neighborhood Kitchen and Wine Shop located in the heart of Banker's Hill. The menu highlights the cuisines of various Italian regions with a distinct California ‘farm to table’ flair for which the Urban Kitchen Group has become known. Chef Joe Magnanelli is excited to preview his Italian heritage and create dishes that are fresh, simple and seasonal. Items include: antipasti, artisan pizza, pasta and piatti. Enjoy wine by the glass or visit the Wine Spectator award-winning wine shop and select a bottle from over 100 selections at retail price ($8 corkage fee applies). The space features contemporary elements and vintage artifacts creating the feel of a modern Italian kitchen combined with the history and comfort of an old rustic country farmhouse. A focus on raw, sustainable material is evident with much product coming from recycled/reclaimed local sources.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
CUCINA urbana - Best Restaurants in Banker's Hill ›
CUCINA urbana reviews from OpenTable diners
391 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (271)hot spot (206)neighborhood gem (200)special occasion (190)notable wine list (189)good for groups (128)vibrant bar scene (123)romantic (104)great for lunch (56)late-night find (34)kid-friendly (18)great for brunch (11)scenic view (4)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- Always Amazing!CasperVIPDined on 7/31/2014I have been dining at Cucina Urbana for quite a few years now and have never been disappointed. It is one of the few restaurants I will take the time to reserve a table for up to a week in advance for a weeknight dinner. Worth the wait, though! The service is always impeccable, the ambiance is great, and the menu changes just enough to keep it interesting while still letting you feel confident that you can find a couple of your favorites on there. Highly recommend for a date night dinner, small group, special occasion, such as a birthday/anniversary dinner, etc.Special Features:
- Perfect Pu-Pu's1happybellyVIPDined on 7/31/2014This was my second visit to Cucina Urbana in 10 days and this time I invited two friends who had only had your pizza. I chose a salad, charcuterie board and two appetizers to accompany a bottle of your 2009 Barrua (my new favorite wine). They were blown away and still posting on FaceBook 24 hours later how wonderful the whole experience was. Outstanding service, scrumptious food and a great evening, thank you!Special Features:
- rustic ItalianSamOVIPDined on 7/30/2014The place was a really good value - shared a homemade pasta and pizza, and both were really good - I don't think there's anything on the nemu over $20, and the place was packed at 9pm on a Wed night, and it's not downtownSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a joyFireandRainVIPDined on 7/30/2014My girlfriend and I celebrated her birthday at CU. The food was great although a warning could have come with the hummus that it was very spicy hot/ (Wasabi Hummus)...Kevin, our server, was great. You've got to be OK with a very noisy room....even for a Wednesday. All in all I stil give CU 4+ stars.Special Features:
- DMgolferDined on 7/30/2014We have always had great food at this restaurant. It's our first choice when we go to The Old Globe. The restaurant not only provides valet parking, but they have a shuttle to and from the Globe, unless of course you choose to walk off some of your delicious dinner. No need to hassle parking at the park. It's a great service to their customers.Special Features:
- Incredible lunch experienceglutenfreesparkleDined on 7/30/2014Our first visit to Cucina Urbana was fabulous! My friend tried the Grilled Three-cheese sandwich with Truffle Fries and is still raving about it. I was so pleasantly surprised by the gluten-free variety of choices I asked our amazing server, Rochelle to just pick something and surprise me. She chose a pork sausage ragu over a mouth watering marscapone polenta and I ate every bite!I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/29/2014Great food, our server Rochelle was knowledge and very friendly and service was excellent. We will be back.Special Features:
- We love this place2foodiesDined on 7/29/2014We enjoy Cucina Urbana. We are not from San Diego and it is always one of a few places that is on the top of our list to eat at when we are here. The food is is of the highest quality and we love the creative offerings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/28/2014Outstanding Outstanding Outstanding Outstanding. OutstandingI would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden jem!jlstar14Dined on 7/28/2014Made a reservation (a must!) because a friend suggested it and couldn't have been happier! Everything was more delicious than the previous thing... polenta board with daily ragu, mushroom pizza, kale Caesar... and then jhidori chicken with ricotta nudi (amazing), pappardelle with short ribs and the pork chop! For dessert the strawberry fragolata, banana cannoli and Nutella zeppoles (couldn't have skipped those). Delicious, delicious and pretty affordable!! $230 for 4 people with drinks! The only thing negative I will say is that our reservation was for 8:30pm, we arrived at 8:15pm and were not sat until 8:50pm... the hostesses were a bit rude but the food made up for it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very enjoyableLAfoodieVIPDined on 7/28/2014The appetizers were outstanding. The grilled octopus and the beet salad were good portions and delicious. Kale brussel sprout caesar was very good as well as the buccatino. Love the wine shop to buy retail priced wines plus $8 corkage.
- New dinner spotsurge649Dined on 7/26/2014I was looking for something different but appealing. I was pleasantly surprised by this gem. Food was spot on! The decor was perfect. Service was a little slow but the place was full so it's excusable. Plus the food, was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Modern ItalianChrisVIPDined on 7/25/2014Best octopus I've had since Greece. Creamy polenta with ragu this day was a short rib ragu. Very excellent. I liked the sangria but the nonalcoholic fruit drink was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nancymDined on 7/24/2014Great service and food. Also ideal for dinner before a show at the Old Globe Theater in Balboa Park. They provide parking for both dinner & the show plus a free shuttle to and from the theater.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the Best Spots in San Diego!stephr0621Dined on 7/24/2014Cucina Urbana is decidedly one of my absolute favorite spots to eat in all of San Diego! The food is consistently delicious not to mention they have an unbeatable wine list. It's my go-to spot for special occasions and date nights. The best part is that you don't have to break the bank eating here - the price is unbeatable for the quality you receive. I would highly recommend Cucina Urbana to anyone, for any reason!Special Features:
- First timeOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/24/2014We went prior to seeing a show at the Old Globe. Food was excellent. We will definitely return.Special Features:
- awesome placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/24/2014It Was our anniversary and they gave us champagne and the table with street view , it was really awesome and the best option that I could've chosen for our special day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice eveningLuvgoodfoodDined on 7/23/2014Had a good dinner, but wouldn't consider it excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- July 23, 2014SamJoDined on 7/23/2014Words can not express our dining experience at Urbana !! Truly amazing from start to finish. Food was out of this world , and service was impeccable .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingDeboraFuentesDined on 7/23/2014What else to say but AMAZING...you can't go wrong with anything on the menu, the service is fantastic and the place keeps you entertained with all the quirky details in every corner... If you're in SAN you should definitely make a resrvation and enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cucina UrbanaJoanJDined on 7/23/2014The food is interesting, well presented and delicious.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/22/2014No where on Earth can I get the walnut mousse with poached pears. We come in from Las Vegas to get a break from the heat and immediately head to Cucina Urbana. Las Vegas may have a lot of celebrity chef restaurants, but we don't have Cucina Urbana. Love the food- Rob klimaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Liked this place very muchElsieDined on 7/21/2014This has a very unique rustic urban, yet modern, feel. Food was excellent, so was service. Everything about it was creative. We ate here before going to the Old Globe Theater in Balboa park which was very convenient.Special Features:
- Pleased PalateMattMtHelixVIPDined on 7/17/2014A really imaginative menu but nothing so crazy you'd hesitate to order. Very fresh foods, local produce for a great salad. The best octopus I've ever had and good service. The prices aren't bad, either. My wife and I attempt to try out a new spot at least once a week; some we won't go back to in the near future. Cucina Urbana will see us again, soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hipster Foodie AdventuresJschexxyDined on 7/17/2014This little gem lives up to it's hipster ambiance. Not only was the food tasty it was also expensive but you honestly get what you pay for!Special Features:
- Very Enjoyable EveningdaveDined on 7/14/2014Excellent service, very good food, and well worth the cost.Special Features:
- Can't wait to go back!!tinamijaDined on 7/12/2014The menu is incredible! SO much selection...I get excited just thinking about it! Took my husband for his bday, as it was our first time there. We tried some of the more popular items, and we were very pleased. He loved it so much...we're going back for his bday celebration with his entire family. We'll be there tonight!Special Features:
- 4 times excellentNathanHaleDined on 7/12/2014Very strong in the food category. Our guests commented that the parpardelle were one of the best dishes they had ever eaten and they were foodies who eat all around the world. Loud and difficult for conversation but the food is worth the sacrifice...You can always talk later!!!Special Features:
- An off night?BuzzwordVIPDined on 7/12/2014Cucina has been one of my favorite restaurants since it's opening; however it has been a few months since my last visit. I was, therefore, truly disappointed on Saturday when everything seemed "off." The food was less-than-memorable...with one of our four entrees being inedible (a total surprise since it was one of our favorites.) The waitstaff were efficient, but blasé. And the usual animated vibe was nowhere to be found. I'm hoping that our experience was an anomaly rather than an unexpected evolution.Special Features:
- WonderfulKallenDined on 7/11/2014Cannot say a bad thing. It was delicious! We all had a wonderful time. The service was great. Make reservations far in advance of not you will be eating late.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmedHomesaraDined on 7/11/2014We found the food bland and just average. I had the arugula salad which was overdressed and a half portion of risotto which was rich but bland. My daughter had the roasted chicken with fava beans. She's an enthusiastic health food lover but didn't eat the dish, because she didn't care for the seasonings. I ate some of it and found it mediocre. My husband ordered the shrimp puttenesca pasta and said it was uninspiring. I had heard this was a great restaurant and really wanted it to work, but we will not return.Special Features:
- Great place before the GlobeDianaDined on 7/10/2014We had 6 pm reservations and coming from N county were 25 minutes late because of bad traffic. I called and were told they usually hold the table 20 minutes but accommodated us and held the table longer, which I appreciated. The waitstaff was friendly, efficient and got us out in an hour so we could make the play in time. Good food, good wine. Overall a great experience.Special Features:
- Innovative Menu, Great ServiceJETDiningVIPDined on 7/10/2014I found the menu to be just about perfect. Innovative, a good range of choices in all categories (starters, mains, desserts, etc.) but there was a coherence to it all that kept everything tied together. I tried the Polenta with braised pork ragu (a signature dish); it was a tad salty but wonderful nonetheless and the presentation was fun and appropriate. The grilled pork chop was also a wee bit salty but otherwise perfectly cooked and beautifully presented. The nutella-stuffed chocolate truffle desert was out of this world good. The service was perfect and we appreciated a drop by from the owner. The ambience was decidedly upbeat but not out of control. People were definitely enjoying themselves and there was a lot to enjoy!Special Features:
- Excellent all around!DiningDiVIPDined on 7/8/2014Loved this restaurant from the location to ambiance to the wine "store" to the food and service! Our best dining experience of our trip to San Diego!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/8/2014Very much enjoyed this dining experience. Low point was the noise levelSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always amazing!lindsayDined on 7/6/2014the servers and bartenders are really helpful and know what to order! This is one of those places you can order anything and it'll all be amazing and fresh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best in San DiegoOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/6/2014One of the SD favorites! Simply great food, service, wine. Check out Sun night no corkage fee....Special Features:
- Tasty and Fun PlaceLeslinaDined on 7/6/2014We enjoyed our evening at Cucina urbana. We started out at the bar while we waited for our table and were entertained by the skilled and entertaining bartenders (Good show, guys) and enjoyed a cocktail and a pleasant Sangiovese for Happy Hour. We moved to a table when it was ready and appreciated our waiter's recommendations. Some of the food was not to my taste but I thought charred Brussels Sprouts were fantastic. The Gorgonzola Walnut Mousse, Poached Pear pizza was too sugary for me, though it was overall tasty, just sweeter than I was expecting and not my favorite crust. The whole fish was very nicely prepared and very fresh and the couscous was a saffron lover's dream. The service was good, the table comfortable.Special Features:
- Always Awesome!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/5/2014One of our SoCal favorites... Food is always great, service is awesome. We did have some hiccups when we first arrived (we were brought to a table at the same time as another group- after they'd refused their original table... they sat, we had to wait), but once we got to our table, everything was great. Try the polenta boards!!!Special Features:
- awesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/5/2014This place never fails to deliver. Every visit seems to top the last one.Special Features: