505 Laurel Street
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cucinaurbana.com/home
- Phone: 6192392222x
- Hours of Operation:
SUNDAY | 4:30p - 9p
MONDAY| 5p - 9p
TUESDAY, WEDNESDAY, THURSDAY | 5p – 10p
FRIDAY + SATURDAY | 5p – 10:30p dinner | 10:30p – 12a pizza + vasi
TUESDAY - THURSDAY | 11:30a-2p
FRIDAY | 11:30a-5p
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Italian
- Executive Chef: Joe Magnanelli
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: URBAN KITCHEN CATERING provides four star, stunning events with menus unique to your occasion. For more information check the URBAN KITCHEN CATERING link on our website www.urbankitchengroup.com or call Alison at 619.239.2222 extension 2. Or if interested in restaurant buyout opportunities, please contact Tiffany Tassano at 619.239.2222 extension 1.
A word from CUCINA urbana
Welcome to CUCINA urbana, a casual Italian American Neighborhood Kitchen and Wine Shop located in the heart of Banker's Hill. The menu highlights the cuisines of various Italian regions with a distinct California ‘farm to table’ flair for which the Urban Kitchen Group has become known. Chef Joe Magnanelli is excited to preview his Italian heritage and create dishes that are fresh, simple and seasonal. Items include: antipasti, artisan pizza, pasta and piatti. Enjoy wine by the glass or visit the Wine Spectator award-winning wine shop and select a bottle from over 100 selections at retail price ($8 corkage fee applies). The space features contemporary elements and vintage artifacts creating the feel of a modern Italian kitchen combined with the history and comfort of an old rustic country farmhouse. A focus on raw, sustainable material is evident with much product coming from recycled/reclaimed local sources.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
CUCINA urbana - Best Restaurants in Banker's Hill ›
CUCINA urbana reviews from OpenTable diners
383 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (273)hot spot (204)neighborhood gem (200)special occasion (191)notable wine list (188)vibrant bar scene (120)good for groups (118)romantic (108)great for lunch (55)late-night find (33)kid-friendly (19)great for brunch (8)great for outdoor dining (4)scenic view (4)Show More
- DinnerEggbert747Dined on 9/17/2014Unfortunity the AC was not working well. Very hot inside. Food and servince was good as usual. Had trouble finding a non-Italian wine that was reasonalbly priced and decent. Will definitely bring my own wine in the future. Hopefully the weather will improve, and the AC will be working next timeSpecial Features:
- Culinary excellence!ehb365VIPDined on 9/12/2014Our second visit to Cucina Urbana. Our server Antonio remembered exactly how I liked my cocktail without me saying a word. His suggestions and attentiveness was impeccable. Our guest were vegetarian, gluten free and one has a serious allergy to nuts. The staff made sure our preferences/food allergies were duly noted. The food was amazing, arrived at precisely the right time. Antonio's knowledge of wine and recommendation was spot on! I have pretty discerning taste. Great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So Glad We Went Here!TheBostonAnthonyVIPDined on 9/11/2014Our server, Sarah, was outstanding. She realized we were out of town, first-time diners, and she walked us through the menu, answered all our questions, and laughed at our jokes. She had impeccable timing, never let our glasses get empty or our table get cluttered... and it made for a wonderful experience! She was such a positive, fun local and we really appreciated her all-around service excellence. The ricotta gnudi and foccacia with rosemary honey butter were both show-stoppers. The pizza was good but to be fair we're picky about pizza. The sauce was oddly sweet, almost too sweet. Quality meat toppings. Great crust! My wife's green garlic tagliatelle carbonara was excellent. The lasagna looked and tasted beautiful - a melange of meats!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vrey loud musicNoisy2Dined on 9/9/2014The music is very loud and it is hard to have a conversation. The music is chosen by the staff and does not have the clientele in mind. It should be instrumental. When someone is singing it is very distracting. Most of the people at Cucina for lunch are business professionals. They are not interested in rocking out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unusually bad experience for CucinaOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/8/2014We had a couples major food issues... There were no tomatoes on our "heirloom tomatoe" salad and the milk on our latte was curdled and sour. The waiter resolved both issues but seemed bothered. We asked for a beer list mid way through dinner which we never received.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/2/2014You will thank your self for going here. Great place!Special Features:
- Great dining experienceJamesDined on 9/2/2014My only drawback is it took me two years to get here. Really like the menu and food was great. Service was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SteveDined on 9/2/2014We were celebrating my wife's birthday. The food was outstanding, but the service was even more exceptional! The complimentary desert and flutes of champagne were an unexpected (and very thoughful) treat at the end of our night! Thanks for making my wife's birthday such a fond memory!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- your ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/31/2014I noted on line reservation that this is the surprise 40th birthday celebrations, we order to deserts you can't even put a candle on it. The restaurant manager walk passed us twice didn't even say hello. You did not make our party feel special at ALL. if you did, we would stay drink more wines. we had to rush out of their to go somewhere else. I will not celebrate any special occasion there no more. Your service is horrible!!!!!Special Features:
- As always great service, and food.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/31/2014The food is so well priced and is always amazing. The service is usually on point and we always leave very happy with our experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply the BestfitfoodieDined on 8/30/2014My partner and I had visited Cucina Urbana a year prior to this visit upon a suggestion by a colleague while we were on vacation. It was quite possibly the best restaurant experience we had ever had and we could not wait to come back. A year later, it was just as spectacular. The food, ambience, service, everything is stellar. Now that we live on the west coast, hopefully it won't be a year before we visit again.Special Features:
- Great place to beJulesDined on 8/29/2014Really love this place. Always been told to try and finally did. I'm glad I did. Great ambiance, great food, great wine. Plan on goin a lot more now.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SpotJPReviewsDined on 8/29/2014We always love coming to this spot for date night. The food and ambiance are great! I highly recommend Cucina Urbana!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, reservations are a must!LucyDined on 8/29/2014Cuccina Urbana is a hot spot here in San Diego, we were fortunate enough to get a same night reservation for 4 Friday night. We were seated right away, noise level is insane on a busy night but the ambiance and food is great. My only and biggest disappointment was feeling sort of lied to about the wine of my choice, I decided to start off with a bottle of bellacart brut and was told it was sold out...Well, it wasn't! I saw the bottles when I left and felt deceived by this as I was upsold to a different champagne. When I left I told a gentleman at the front how disappointed I was by it. Not sure if this is common for them to not honor their wine list in such a deceitful way. With that said, the restaurant has a great selection.Special Features:
- why would no one speak out?GrobeVIPDined on 8/29/2014Going to SD and what a fun and exciting place. Everything on the menu rocks. Staff are on point as is the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cucina Exellente!dcapoVIPDined on 8/29/2014Amazing food, wine and great waiter/service. Love the wine pricing concept. Chicken liver pate' great and being gluten free got yummie crackers. The fresh fish was wonderful and simply prepared....Gluten Free pasta Amatratriaciana made me realize how much I missedDefinitely will go back when I am back in San DiegoSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/29/2014Friendly waiters, interesting menu, wonderful foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MalonekaVIPDined on 8/28/2014Exceptional and creative menu with fresh ingredients. Ecoxcellent service. Server well versed on menu and wine list. We will be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great for Social hourhoneyDined on 8/28/2014I have found Cucina Urbana a favorite place to meet a friend for a Social Hour. The specials at that time are great and we never have trouble finding something delicious. The service is always great and very efficient. It is a bit loud for carrying on a conversation but we manage. We will continue to patronize Cucina Urbana. P.S. The chocolate Budino is outrageously good.Special Features:
- Delicious & reasonableAppreciategoodfoodDined on 8/25/2014This is a lovely restaurant and not too noisy. The food was delicious & the location, convenient. I was expecting it to be Italian cuisine but one of the chicken dishes sounded more Indian (the country, not native American) than Italian. There were 4 of us and we were all happy with our meals. I appreciated the fact that wine prices were not ridiculous. In fact, the price per bottle was what one would pay in a wine shop plus an $8. corkage fee.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014Our server was great! Normally the food is perfect. However, this time the pasta came out cold and had to be reheated and half of the bottom of the pizza crust was burnt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the waitress was rudeEva06Dined on 8/24/2014the waitress was not friendly. He seemed in a bad mood. and at the end she wonder angry that which was going to be his tip for their service...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingdinerKDined on 8/23/2014We ate at Cucina Urbana last weekend to celebrate our wedding anniversary and the birthday of a friend. When I made the reservation, I mentioned those occasions. The person who seated us mentioned them, but the waiter did not and we received no little celebratory cake, which the hostess said we could expect. The waiter took our drink and appetizer order and then disappeared for 1/2 hour, until we finally flagged him down. He brought the drinks then, but the appetizer didn't come for 45 minutes! The main course arrived 1/2 hour later. We barely made it to our play at the Old Globe. I've eaten at C.U. before and was pleased, but this poor service made our special occasion very un-special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- place was jumpingOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/22/2014Great neighborhood place, food rich and tasty, great drinks, and wineSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LoboVIPDined on 8/21/2014A brilliant menu and outstanding meal! We ordered lots of different items to taste and share. The squash blossoms were as light as a feather with a delicate sauce; chicken liver pate with brown sugar shallots, Oh my goodness, delicious; and the whole Branzino which was cooked to absolute perfection. Can't wait to go back to San Diego and experience this wonderful find for us again.Special Features:
- Best tuna sandwich!enjoydiningDined on 8/21/2014I've had the tuna sandwich for lunch twice and it's the best one I've had in a restaurant. I recommended this to my lunch mate and he also agreed - best tuna sandwich in a restaurant. The other food is delicious as well, but that is my current favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PTJPTJVIPDined on 8/21/2014Apparently this is one of the toughest tables to get in San Diego and I now understand why. A colleague and I went for lunch. The food is excellent and the service is impeccable. The burrata with prosciutto is the second best I have ever eaten. The rosemary focaccia is also great, as is the tagliatelle and the giant meatball. I am not typically a fan of tiramisu, but this had chocolate granola and was superb. Highly recommended.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, except WAY TOO NOISY,BigRVIPDined on 8/20/2014Great food, knowledgeable and friendly service, but it was so noisy we couldn't hold a conversation and I just don't like shouting.Special Features:
- Delicious food!Luv2dineDined on 8/20/2014Amazing food, beautiful settings with outstanding service! You can't go wrong with Cucina Urbana!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it!BabymommaDined on 8/19/2014It gets better every time I go. The food is delicious and the wine list is amazing!!! If you haven't been make a reservation immediately:) kid friendly too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic time and time againSDWineGoddessVIPDined on 8/19/2014I bring a lot of my clients to Cucina Urbana because I know the food and service will always be outstanding. As a wine consultant, I typically bring my own wine and the last time I dined here was no exception. The waiter told the manager I was in the industry and as a result, the corkage fee was waived, which I really appreciated. I had the giant meatball and polenta, both side dishes. Both were excellent and I could not finish either due to the portion sizes. My guest had the short rib pasta and it was also excellent with perfectly balanced flavors. I can't recommend this restaurant highly enough and plan to return again and again.Special Features:
- Hmmm ... it's changedZoneDiegoDined on 8/17/2014I haven't been here in 6 months but upon this return, I saw a difference in the food. The lasagna wasn't very special anymore and lacked vibrant taste. Salads very tasty but so small. When we arrived the very nice staff told us that it was Happy Hour for the next 2 hours and seated us at the bar until our table was ready. However, when we got the bill for our drinks at dinner, the waitress told us Happy Hour was only at the bar & not at dining. Huh? Why tell us AFTER dinner? This was stupid. The place is expensive & fun for a pic every once in a while, but the Happy Hour tactics of bait & switch kind of turned me off to this place. Sorry.Special Features:
- A true dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/16/2014Upon arrival, you are immediately greeted by the friendly staff, beautiful decor and the pleasant aromas from the kitchen. Our waitress was very knowledgeable about the menu and the extensive wine list.Special Features:
- Never Disappointing!dsrtlvrDined on 8/16/2014I've been to Cucina Urbana a number of times and it remains one of my very top favorites in San Diego for the exceptional food and the quality service. The noise level makes conversation difficult but that seems to be the case in all of the top choice restaurants of the day. The "Kale Ceasar" is fantastic, and the succulent Whole Fish I ordered on a bed of fragrant and flavorful Couscous was divine! Of course, I'll be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodIheartpastaDined on 8/15/2014I heard about Cucina Urbana when asking around about if there is any good italian food in San Diego. My boyfriend doesn't even typically like italian restaurants, but both of us have nothing bad to say about the food. I had a pasta dish and he had the short rib burger and we will definitely be going back again to try something else. I do have some slight complaints.. I understand that it's tough to work in the service industry but I made a reservation weeks in advance. we got there 5 minutes early for our reservation time... I saw a couple people come in and get seated while we were waiting.. And then we got a table after almost 30 min of waiting. Then I ordered a red wine and got a white.. But the service was fine overallSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstandingly good.DisappointedDined on 8/15/2014Had been sitting on a gift card for this place since December. Finally went and man did we ever wait too long. Not too many places wow me with the food. But Cucina Urbana sure did. We had kale salad, an appetizer (forget the name), a pizza, and pasta dish and a meatball. All were very good in flavor. We will go back for sure. Dessert was the only thing that did not wow. They were good but not great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MarvelousoutwegoDined on 8/15/2014We have been to Cucina three times since being introduced by a friend two months ago. Wonderful food and staff. Especially appreciate the assistance/training the staff does in assisting us while we learn about Italian food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always SatisfiedhappydineDined on 8/14/2014It was a great Thursday night with great foods and wines. Grilled Octopus and truffle fries are wonderful choices for appetizers. Pizza and pasta are another wonderful chances to enjoy the night. Strong recommendation for delightful atmosphere and great foods.Special Features:
- What a Treat!SwimmomDined on 8/14/2014I made res for my birthday, took my husband and 23 and 20 year old sons. We had a ball; loved the food, the ambiance, and wine. Hubby has pizza ($7 before 6 pm), loved it. I had the short rib papperadelle, a popular item on the menu. It was delicious! One son had the "whole fish" and he thought it was very good, a bit too much saffron, perhaps, but good, and oldest had lasagne. It has a very "different" flavor, which was wonderful, but we could not put our fingers on what it was. We need to try it again!!! The wine was fabulous. We will be back! Loved it!Special Features:
- ScottythebeeVIPDined on 8/14/2014The food here is always quite good if not excellent. The servers are usually polite and professional, but seem to disappear if you need another fork, or more water, or sweetener, or something other than what costs money to buy. On that note, really excellent establishments do not need to have their servers "upsell"-ever. At my Friday lunch, I ordered a salad and pizza to share/split with my guest. We were asked if we each wanted our own salad and pizza. We ordered dessert to share, and were asked if we wanted coffee and we declined. We were then asked if we wanted after dinner drinks (at lunch).Special Features: