The Grill on the Alley - San Jose
172 South Market St.
San Jose, CA 95113Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $50 and over
The Grill on the Alley - San Jose
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.thegrill.com/sanjose
- Phone: 4082942244
- Hours of Operation:
The bar remains open after the dining
room closes and features a late-night bar menu.
in the bar
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Argentinean
- Executive Chef: Andy Hatcher
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Take-out & catering available.
- Private Party Facilities: Complete with two private dining rooms, The Grill on the Alley can host groups up to 36 guests in an intimate setting. Specializing in professional and intimate service, The Grill offers private dining every day of the year.
- Private Party Contact: John Price 4082942244
- Entertainment: Walking distance to all downtown night clubs, hotels, theaters, and convention center.
- Special Events: The Grill on the Alley Private Rooms are available for all your event needs from business meeting to rehearsal dinners.
A word from The Grill on the Alley - San Jose
Inspired by the legendary grills of New York, Chicago and San Francisco, The Grill on the Alley features favorite American classics.Hardwood floors, white table clothes, leather booths and white-jacketed waiters create a truly unique dining experience. The knowledgeable, friendly staff will guide you through the 500-plus wine offerings and extensive menu featuring Kobe Beef, USDA Prime Steaks, Fresh Seafood and American classics like Braised Short Ribs and Chicken Pot Pie.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
The Grill on the Alley - San Jose - Best Restaurants in San Jose ›
The Grill on the Alley - San Jose reviews from OpenTable diners
86 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (54)romantic (37)notable wine list (34)fit for foodies (24)good for groups (24)vibrant bar scene (18)great for lunch (9)neighborhood gem (7)late-night find (6)great for brunch (4)great for outdoor dining (4)kid-friendly (4)hot spot (2)Show More
- Christmas Dinner at the GrilldiningwfriendsDined on 12/26/2013I took my parents and aunt, all about ninety years of age, for the second year in a row to the Grill on the Alley to celebrate Christmas. The service and the food were excellent, and it was a big treat for them to have such a fine dinner. They would never have gone their on their own, as it is much too expensive for them. I do think the prices are high, but the food is very good, so for a special occasion I would highly recommend it. It was very nice to be able to leave my car by the front door of the Fairmont while we had dinner, because it is difficult for my parents and aunt to walk very far.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisappointsLindaDined on 12/25/2013The Grill is always a good experience. This is the first I've dined on Christmas Day... The set menu would usually bother me;however, the choices were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the night at The GrillAllsmilzDined on 12/24/2013The front greeted us immediately and accommodated our plus one with a welcoming "no problem". This Christmas Eve dinner was a wonderful outing and stress free.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- There is betterOptblerVIPDined on 12/24/2013I really wanted to like the Grill because I wanted a place closer to home where I can go for a great steak instead of going to Palo Alto or Cueprtino for a great steak. My search continues. For $46, I expected my 16 oz bone in ribeye to be melt in your mouth juicy. Except, my piece was gristley and over salt/peppered. Is there such a thing....yes. I want to taste my meat not mouth full of salt and pepper. It was just not the experience I expected. Unfortunately, if the cut of the meat is wrong then there is nothing one can do to fix it. Sadly, I will not be going back to the Grill. Flemings and Alexanders are still my top choice.Special Features:
- Never disappointsLewisVIPDined on 12/24/2013My family and I treated ourselves to Christmas Eve dinner at The Grill. The steak is THE best around. And this comes from some serious steak lovers. Their wine list is also fabulous. Any occasion is a great occasion for dining at The Grill!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We came back for the crabcrabcake1Dined on 12/23/2013We came back for the crab cakes (the best!). Typically, the service is excellent, but our waiter this time was very slow, and the place did not look busy. It took a while to be attended to, then we had to ask twice for bread, finally speaking to the manager . . . it then arrived piping hot within two minutes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Occasion1SavvyGirlDined on 12/21/2013Expensive but worth it for that special occasion. Waiter asked if our visit was a special occasion, yes it was my husbands birthday. He had the Kansas City NY prime rib and I had the sea bass, both where excellent. Everything ordered was delicious, would go back for that special date. When we received the bill, the dessert was on the house, a very nice surprise. To top everything else, service was superb!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Skip the Cobb dinner saladJLA1Dined on 12/20/2013My wife and I and two young adult children went there on a Friday evening. This was not our first time here. My wife and I decided on the dinner size Cobb salads whereas our two adult kids each had steak. The steaks were just fine (4.5 stars); the dinner salads were poor - 1.5 stars; mostly a pile of lettuce with very little flavor and nearly no chicken. For $20+ for a plate of tasteless lettuce, my wife and I were not at all pleased with our choice. When we go back, we certainly would stick with a steak, or not go there at all.Special Features:
- Never disappoints!CindyDined on 12/13/2013We love the grill. On this night we had reservations for four, but ran into a few more friends.. so we called about 40 minutes before on a Friday night to change it to ten. They were very accommodating and made the change by moving around some tables. Food was amazing as usual and service as well.Special Features:
- My Favorite San Jose RestaurantbimmergeekDined on 12/13/2013My wife and I came to The Grill for a holiday dinner together. The bone-in ribeye was fantastic. Tender, juicy and very flavorful. My wife was very happy with the seared Arctic char. The service is attentive without being annoying. My only complaint was being charged $8.50 for a bottle of Pelligrino sparkling water. I understand it's an expensive restaurant but that's pretty ridiculous.Special Features:
- Dry fillet, high costdvayderVIPDined on 12/12/2013Went to the Grill on the Alley to celebrate our engagement. Woo Hoo! The atmosphere was lively and fun. The service was excellent. But the fillet steak we ordered (and not cheap) was not good at all. It was the driest and most tasteless fillet I've ever had. We were very disappointed. Everything else we had was delicious.Special Features:
- Overpriced and overcookedDiningDocsVIPDined on 12/6/2013Unfortunately the Grill on the Alley gets away with extremely high prices, poor service, and not up to standard food. Wine markups are absurd compared to other restaurants in the Bay Area. Service was terribly amateurish--server leaned over us and extended his arms numerous times across table in odd and distracting ways. He knew little to nothing about wine or service. Arctic char cost more than $30 and was totally overcooked. I recommend happy hour here and little else. They should align their prices, quality and service with good restaurants in the area (Nemea is one) or they will suffer local business significantly.
- The food is consistently verymelsjDined on 12/5/2013The food is consistently very good, but the service can often be on the slow side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impeccable food and serviceFourmaltsDined on 12/3/2013They have a large, diverse menu. The wait staff was super attentive and helpful. The food was out of this world! The best Yukon mashed potatoe and Mac & cheese you will ever have!!! Expensive, but well worth it for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/28/2013Didn't quite like being seated next to the kitchen, but everything else was okay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- we have gone to the grillFrancophileDined on 11/28/2013we have gone to the grill for Thanksgiving for 3 years since my Mom died…everything has always been perfect. My father hadn't gone to a restaurant with out my mom in 50 years…. it is stressful for him…he is completely at ease and talkative at the the grill.. the best for my dadSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Truly excellent steaks, sides, barlarryyDined on 11/23/2013My wife and I both had the petite filet mignon, dry, and agreed it was some of the best steak we've had. Truly great. Her Cosmopolitan made with Hendricks gin and my Sidecar were perfect. The mac & cheese with bacon and mushrooms was terrific. (I was worried the mushrooms might not work, but the texture was just right, so they actually added to the dish.) The baked potato came with butter, sour cream, and real crumbled bacon, and was very good. We shared a simple house salad with blue cheese dressing, which was fine. (My wife liked it exactly as it was; I felt it could have used a bit more blue cheese.) The service was great. I don't know if the preceding does the place justice, given that this is my new favorite restaurant! We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic steaksBarryDined on 11/22/2013This restaurant has long been our favorite special occasion location. It never fails to deliver impeccable service and amazing food. The steaks here are incredible and always done to perfection. Pretty much every table is a booth so you have plenty of privacy for a business conversation or a romantic evening. The kids menu has plenty of selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went during lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/18/2013Place was pretty empty, which is the only reason why I did not rate it higher. Have been to many Grills in other cities. This is is very consistent and a good option for a higher end (i.e. expensive) meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service don't like the priceladiesoutDined on 11/17/2013The service at the Alley is fabulous. I took my daughter in law for her birthday and the staff was ready and waiting with special additions and Happy Birthday! That means they really read my comments when booking through open table. The quality of the food is awesome and the portions were pretty large. I would prefer smaller portions and included options for less price. All in all this is a great special occasion place!Special Features:
- This place was amazing!SheriDined on 11/16/2013We stayed one night at the Fairmont in San Jose because we were going to a show at the SAP Center. We made a reservation at the Grill on the Alley and were we impressed. My husband, 15 year old daughter and I all completely enjoyed our dinner. It is a little on the higher price range. We didn't have much time before the show, but would have loved to stay longer and enjoy the ambience.Special Features:
- Average…Service, Service, Service!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/11/2013Food was good, drinks generous but service was average. Service could use some work, waitress was not as available as she could have been.
- A good Date Night destinationBintyDined on 11/9/2013Good, classic American fare. Meat & potatoes, creamed spinach, chicken pot pie, etc. Their meals are a touch expensive, but all cost aside their steaks really CAN be put up against any steakhouse in the South Bay... and hey, quality steak dinners aren't cheap. That's just life. The pricing that did really bug me was in their wine selection. Restaurants like this need to figure out how to offer more affordable wines by the glass that aren't available at Trader Joe's. I ordered a glass of the Nickel & Nickel zinfandel for $19 because, damnitall, I wanted a zinfandel. My husband doesn't drink so bottles are out., which left me with only this choice. Wasn't worth the $19, sadly. Still, we love Grill and we'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great service – pricey!WillotheGlenDined on 10/21/2013The Grill on the Alley lived up to its reputation as a high-end Silicon valley eatery on a recent visit. It has a very "movers-and-shakers" kind of old-money gentleman's club ambiance, and the prices to match. Service was attentive, but sometimes a bit slow in coming. The quality of the food just misses five stars due to a dry, overcooked – but potentially quite tasty, baked bacon and Brussels sprouts appetizer (which, to their credit, they deleted from the bill after we commented on it), but our entrees were very good (though the sauce on my bacon-wrapped filet mignon was overly sweet, stealing attention from a perfectly-cooked filet). One shocker – the price of two cocktails would have bought a bottle of the premium Scotch we ordered!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousnessCarterDined on 10/18/2013My date had the Scallops. I had the New York Pepper Steak. I win. She ended up eating half of my dish. Perfectly cooked medium rare. Deliciousness.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not it's usual greatScudmanDined on 10/16/2013Visited during restaurant week and the selected menu was excellent. The appetizers were both enjoyable and filet and sea bass were prepared perfectly. The desserts get a C only because the pistachio brûlée was surprisingly salty and not enjoyable at all. Service was rated only ok as I had to remind our waiter to bring me my ordered glass of wine and ask for more water. Overall, it's still a great place for a nice group or intimate dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service and FoodJohnEDined on 10/12/2013I ordered the 16 oz Prime New York Steak and could not finish all of it. It was cooked to perfection and topped with the added requested mushrooms which were delicious. Cream of spinach was also delicious as a side. My wife ordered the Cobb Salad. It too was very good. We enjoyed the service and I noticed, we didn't have to wait for the waiter to give us our bill. He was very busy but the Busboy had his back. The Busboy removed our dishes boxed the leftovers and asked if there was any thing else we would like including the desert menu. We were stuffed and he returned in a few minutes with the bill. The waiter did a flyby just to make sure everything was OK with his arms loaded with someone else's meal. It was a very enjoyable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great steakhouseDowntownSJDined on 10/5/2013My bone-in rib eye was absolutely fantastic. My wife's Romano encrusted filet was not that great. We both agreed that the Romano cheese detracted from the overall flavor of the beef. Service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was excellent. TheFoodieRobDined on 10/3/2013The food was excellent. The steak was flavorful and extremely tender.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best in the South BayMistyVIPDined on 9/29/2013The Grill is one of the best high end dining places in the South Bay. The food, service, and beauty of the restaurant are all outstanding making this the perfect place for a special, elegant celebration. The standout food items were the lobster bisque, souffles, and prime rib (huge!). The cocktails are also fabulous if you want to come just for drinks and apps in the bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite Place in Downtown San JosesanjosePatDined on 9/28/2013The Grill on the Alley never disappoints. We dined there Saturday night with friends from Portland and could not have been happier with our choice. Sean, the waiter, was attentive, but not smothering. He was able to accommodate our "double glass" approach to the wines we brought for dinner...wanting to drink both simultaneously for comparison sake. The dinner special he recommended was terrific: Filet Mignon Oscar with a choice of crab or lobster. The beef, as usual, was cooked to perfection, and the whole dish was delish! One of the things that I love is that they never overcook the veggies...always fresh and crisp-tender. Their entire staff is professional and welcoming...always a treat!
- Everything about our experiencebayareafoodieVIPDined on 9/28/2013Everything about our experience was excellent. An alarm had gone off in the Fairmont (the attached hotel) so it was a bit loud at first, but that was at no fault of the restaurant's and resolved quickly. I especially enjoyed the loaded mac and cheese. My friend had selected the crab cakes which were full of meat and some of the best she'd ever eaten.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Happy Hour!garyVIPDined on 9/28/2013Came early as we were going to a 7 pm movie and were able to catch the Happy Hour in the bar. There HH rocks, one of the best I ever been to and I've been to a lot. Had the Kobe burger which was just excellent and the wife had the reuben sliders which she loved. Honestly the portions were so much that we could have split one of our meals. Also, the bartenders know how to make adult drinks.Special Features:
- 2nd Time Around...ReviewerDined on 9/23/2013It was a good while since the first time I ate there with family, but the 2nd time around, it was great. From walking in and speaking to the hostess, to the attentive servers to the delicious seasonal Bone-in Rib Eye, the experience was fantastic. I highly recommend this place and order a dish from their Seasonal Menu.Special Features:
- Pricey but classydANNY8bALLDined on 9/22/2013Bring your credit card, or invite your rich uncle. The Grill is Expensive. The steaks are big, tender and flavorful, the prime rib could topple Fred Flinstones car at the drive in. Service was good, should have been perfect, we flet neglected at times. Everything was ala cart. We used to get a yearly gift card from them on our birthdays. Have not gotten this for a couple of years...even though we turned in a new applications card last year. What's up with that? BUT... the happy hour deals in the bar are always really good! We go there often, and sit outside, soaking up the local color- and the martinis. They just changed the potato skins, they are big and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Up to ParOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/18/2013I had an opportunity to dine at The Grill on the Alley, and for an upscale steakhouse in a Fairmont Hotel, I guess my expectations were higher than what was delivered. In particular, I am a firm believer that a streakhouse is not a true steakhouse if it doesn't have Steak Tartare on the menu. When they brought the tartare, however, I was disappointed with the presentation. It was essentially a plopped mound (good portion size) of ground steak with no presentation or colors whatsoever. The taste was OK ... not great. Contrast that with Arcada (in the San Jose Marriott) down the street where the tartare is presented table side (not as large of a portion). Anyhow, I may sound a bit picky, but thought I'd share my experience.Special Features:
- AMAZING Servicekato94602VIPDined on 9/18/2013I went there for dinner after reading all of the great reviews. The table service was great and they really made you feel welcome. My friend and I ordered the bone in rib eye which was really tasty, however, my friend's piece of meat had a lot of sinew and fat which made it hard to eat. When the staff came by to pick up the plate and noticed the 1/2 eaten rib-eye he asked what happened and we told them. This escalated to our head waiter and then to the manager who graciously informed us that they took the rib-eye off of our bill and wanted to offer us a free desert... which we declined, so they comped our corkage free instead. AMAZING service. Carl - the manager - and our waiter Chris were awesome! We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 9/12/2013We've been dining here since before "the turn of the century". Everything, repeat, everything has been consistently excellent. We try other 'hot spots', but time and again revert to our favorite, The Grill on the AlleySpecial Features:
- Great food and ambience (expensive)SandipDined on 8/29/2013The best place for steaks in the Bay area. Good wine pairing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow, the crab cakes were sooooooOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/29/2013Wow, the crab cakes were soooooo delish! Still craving them now...Special Features: