Max Brenner - Philadelphia
1500 Walnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19102Neighborhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: $30 and under
Max Brenner - Philadelphia
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.maxbrenner.com/
- Phone: 2153448150
- Hours of Operation:
Mon - Thurs - 11:30am - 11:00pm
Fri - 11:30am - 1:00am
Sat - 11:00am - 1:00am (brunch is served from 11:00am - 4:00pm)
Sun - 9:00am - 11:00pm (brunch is served from 9:00am - 4:00pm)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Max Brenner
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We offer a small private area of our restaurant for large parties.
- Private Party Contact: Katie Applegate 8779253053
- Entertainment: Max Brenner's signature music playlist.
A word from Max Brenner - Philadelphia
Known worldwide as the ultimate destination for chocolate, Max Brenner is the perfect place to eat… and indulge. Fill up on Really Crunchy Mac & Cheese, a pressed waffle sandwich or our ever-popular Brenner Burger. But save room, because the main course is dessert. Experience chocolate to the fullest and enjoy hot chocolate, Choctails, fondues, sugar waffles and more. Our most iconic dishes are served in specially-designed ceramic utensils, turning chocolate consumption into a chocolate ceremony. So double dip, lick your fingers and forget to share because at Max Brenner there aren’t rules – all you have to do is really love chocolate.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Max Brenner - Philadelphia - Best Restaurants in Center City ›
Max Brenner - Philadelphia reviews from OpenTable diners
233 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
kid-friendly (113)special occasion (84)fit for foodies (82)good for groups (69)great for lunch (63)late-night find (46)neighborhood gem (45)great for brunch (45)hot spot (38)romantic (33)vibrant bar scene (8)notable wine list (3)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (2)Show More
- We went to Max Brenner's onOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/21/2010We went to Max Brenner's on a Sunday evening around 7:30pm. The restaurant was very crowded and we were glad we had a reservation, because we would have had to wait. For parties of less than 4, the tables are extremely tiny (about 22" diameter). We ordered dinner and dessert and we had to be creative about plate placement in order to fit it all on the table and not have anything drop on the floor. There is a nice selection of entrees. Signature burger was ok, not great. The crepes were very good. Pasta was very good. The desserts were quite yummy, the hot chocolate was excellent. It is easy to run up a steep bill here, all those hot chocolates add up!Special Features:
- Always enjoy going to MaxOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/21/2010Always enjoy going to Max Brenner's mainly for the delicious desserts. Service was okay....waitress could have been a little more attentive.Special Features:
- It think it's a fun conceptOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/21/2010It think it's a fun concept but really most appropriate for dessert/sweet treat then a full meal. The menu lacked variety of offerings and even healthful options. Portions from the kids menu were tiny. I thought the menus (plural)for all the sweet treats were overwhelming - it really just came down to frappes and fondues/smores. We went for dinner, not brunch. I will add-- my kids LOVED it.Special Features:
- special occasion desserts,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/21/2010special occasion desserts, that is. If you want a fun place with fabulous dessert, this is the place for you.Special Features:
- I had a great experience whenOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/20/2010I had a great experience when I was there recently. If I had to complain about something, I would say that the dessert was a very small portion for what I was paying. Although the dessert was tasty. Very awesome place with great food and I would definitely return and recommend for other people.
- Don't go for the Food! ThisOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/19/2010Don't go for the Food! This is a dessert stop only...although if you are in Philadelphia, I would go to the Naked Chocolate Cafe instead. Brenner's has a real chain store feel, with the unimpressive, inattentive service of a chain. Kids will like the Disney theme restaurant atmosphere, but parents won't like the high Disney prices.
- We had a great time and ourOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/19/2010We had a great time and our waitress, Amber, was so helpful and attentive. The food was very good but the desserts are heavenly.Special Features:
- Great for date night. DessertsCherryDined on 3/18/2010Great for date night. Desserts are made for sharing.Special Features:
- This is a fun novelty restaurant.MttopgirlDined on 3/14/2010This is a fun novelty restaurant. I met a friend here for brunch. She had the banana split waffle which she enjoyed but the plate was not a great platform for her food and she didn't love the waffles. I had a turkey burger which was excellent and the toffey hot chocolate. Mine lunch was a nice combination of sweet, savory with a little spice. I really enjoyed it. I'd go back again.Special Features:
- I looooooooved this place!!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/14/2010I looooooooved this place!! I will definitely be back. What I really appreciated was that everything was great. Even though "chocolate" is their claim to fame, the regular food is EXCELLENT. They do not skimp on anything at all, everything is wonderful. I highly suggest this restaurant and I want to return for lunch and dinner (I went for brunch).Special Features:
- The food was excellent, serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/13/2010The food was excellent, service wonderful and the dessert, OMG!!! Delicious. I would recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- A quirky place with a seriousOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/13/2010A quirky place with a serious penchant for chocolate. Upon entering the front door you are hit with an immediate scent of chocolate (infused in the ventilation no doubt) and are greeted by two tubs of churning chocolate. The waiting area is a "gift shop" filled with chocolates and such, but overpriced in my estimation. The aesthetic of the space is nice enough, but because of the small space, there's not much that can be done with it; the kids thought it was cool, so that counts for something. The food was very good - we had burgers and chicken sandwiches - very flavorful and juicy. Dessert is definitely their specialty and we ordered a fondue set and banana split, which unfortunately was deconstructed. Bill for 2 adults/2 kids was $136.Special Features:
- Loved the place - great toIl9091VIPDined on 3/13/2010Loved the place - great to come with kids. We were too full to try dessert. Next time we are coming for just dessert.Special Features:
- Went with four kids underOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 3/13/2010Went with four kids under 10 and they had a ball! The food was pretty good and the presentation was wonderful. Felt very special for all.Special Features:
- Food Menu could offer more.OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/11/2010Food Menu could offer more. But I think most people come here for the dessert!Special Features:
- This restaurant was betterOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/11/2010This restaurant was better than I expected. Since it focuses on chocolate, I did not think the regular far would be anything to 'write home about', but it was quite tasty! It was pretty difficult to decide on a dessert. It would be great if they put some smaller choices (besides beverages) on the dessert menu. As it was, I shared one with my dining companion, but that just made it more difficult to decide! Our server was outstanding..very pleasant and not overbearing. It was a fun evening and I will go back to Max Brenner.
- I went here with my sisterOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/9/2010I went here with my sister and friend. We were excited about it, but were left feeling disappointed. We were seated at a small table that would've been more appropriate for a party of 2. We waited over 35 minutes for our appetizer of the mediterranean trio, during which time our waitress didn't come over at all to check in with us or let us know there would be such a wait. The place has potential, but our table along with another table near us were disappointed by the experience.
- Food is just so/so. WhichOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/7/2010Food is just so/so. Which is good because you should not fill up on food when you go to this place... it's all about dessert! Which was absolutely amazing!! Great chocolate!Special Features:
- What a fun and unique restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/7/2010What a fun and unique restaurant! The glorious smell of chocolate welcomes you in. Friendly service, comfortable, artsy atmosphere. I truly enjoyed the variety of desserts to choose from. Reasonable costs. A Chocolate Lovers Dream!Special Features:
- We had a terrific waiter--friendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/7/2010We had a terrific waiter--friendly and good service. After all the hype, though, we were a bit disappointed in the food. The chocalate dishes were good but not exceptional. I'd go back with a group for the novelty and because it was a pleasant experience but not often.Special Features:
- We loved it but on a SundayOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/7/2010We loved it but on a Sunday brunch day, it was a tad loud. We would all definitely go back.Special Features:
- We celebrated my daughter'sOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/6/2010We celebrated my daughter's 21st birthday at Max Brenner's this past weekend as per her request. She chose to go there over any center city restaurant to my slight disappointment but it was her birthday! Our reservation was for 8:00 and we were seated immediately even though there was a line ahead of us which was a nice surprise. The drink & dessert menus are very extensive but food selections are a little limited. I would compare the actual food choices similar to a "Friday's" type fare. Soon after we began reading the menu the lights were dimmed to the level that we had to pass the candle from the table to be able to see to read. Drinks were good food nothing special yummy desserts that are pricey & small. Good for FAMILY celebrations.Special Features:
- Walked in with an 8pm reservationOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/6/2010Walked in with an 8pm reservation and was seated right away nice and lively ambiance and nice service. The food could have been better. My Brenner burger was so so. People who sat at my table had salads and pasta and they like theirs. the dessert was ok. I had a sundae with peanut and chocolate sauce. It had chunks of brownie and banana in chocolate icecream. it was soupy and not enjoyable. Sorry Brenners. Also the onion rings were not crispy.
- A huge disappointment. OurpickyeaterVIPDined on 3/6/2010A huge disappointment. Our family of five, including two teenage boys came came to celebrate a child's birthday. We were squashed into an undersized table. Service was horrendous; appetizer came quickly, then waited nearly an hour for dinner. Waiter seemed to avoid us. Manager apologized, but the damage was done--we were grumpy and starving. Ate merely adequate food and after sitting for two hours, left--no patience to sit any longer to sample signature chocolate. Maybe suitable for dessert only.
- If you love chocolate, youOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 3/6/2010If you love chocolate, you will love Max Brenner's. It is absolutely delicious. "The Unforgettable Spicy Tuna Salad Sandwich" is appropriately named. And The BEST B.A.L.T. (Bacon, Avocado, Lettuce, Tomato) is simply one of the best I have ever had. The different chocolate drinks are a must indulgence, while there. So, save up your daily calorie count for your meal at Max Brenner's it is truly worth it!!Special Features:
- Max Brenner(Philadelphia)wasOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/5/2010Max Brenner(Philadelphia)was alot of fun!!!! Even for the non-chocolate lover there's something for you! Excited to try the New York City restaurant.Special Features:
- Wonderful restaurant withOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/5/2010Wonderful restaurant with amazing food and even better dessert! Such a calm an chill enviornmentSpecial Features:
- Enjoyed our family night out...itOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 3/5/2010Enjoyed our family night out...it is a special place. However, it is one thing to sit at the bar on a bar stool. Diners should not be expected to sit on a bar stool for their dinner. We were glad that we were not overweight or had back issues, but nobody was thrilled with the backless stools at our tableSpecial Features:
- We went especially for theOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/4/2010We went especially for the chocolate deserts which were great but found the all the food was very good. A good quality, casual, afforadble restaurant for center city.
- Had a great time. The dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/28/2010Had a great time. The dinner was wonderful but the favorite was the Macaroni and cheese. Dessert, well what can I say...a chocolate lovers dream.Special Features:
- Started off great. SeatedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/28/2010Started off great. Seated at 11:35 am with my daughter before a 1 PM matinees show. Waiter very nice. Simple lunch order of grilled cheese and panini sandwich. Lunch not received within 30 min, waiter definitely ignored us. I had to get waiter's attention a few times. I was assured my food was coming, he explained we were part of the theater crowd each time. Most seemed to be getting their food. (About four tables seated when we were.) Did not receive food for 53 minutes. When we did get it, the manger was very nice, apologetic, explained a computer went down and our order was lost. Food received was not good. We did not have time for dessert, which is why we went in the first place. Very disappointed.
- everything was excelent. theOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/27/2010everything was excelent. the food the service the staff. cant wait to go back!
- My hubby and I went here forOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/27/2010My hubby and I went here for date night and everything was amazing. We had no idea how good it was going to be. We took it all in and left feeling satisfied with our choice and thankful a friend recommended it. We will definitey will be returning only next time we want to bring our kids because we feel they would enjoy it just as much as we did.Special Features:
- We went after seeing the showOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/27/2010We went after seeing the show Annie - it was a fun day all around. If we come to Max Brenner again it will only be for dessert. Only one of the six kids liked their dinner and the two adults did not like the chocotini, salad, chicken or spinach. So we will save a lot of money and just order dessert. Also, there is only ONE ladies room, one person at a time.Special Features:
- Our third time at Max Brenner,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/27/2010Our third time at Max Brenner, and again it didn't disappoint. We brought our daughter and her friend, and everything was excellent. Love that chocolate pizza!
- The restaurant is nice forOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/21/2010The restaurant is nice for a special occasion, but the food isn't too exciting and a bit overpriced. The desserts are amazing though! We got the urban smores and the fondue sharing plate and both were great. Also, if there is a birthday in your party, be sure to ask for a "wish dish" with a special surprise.Special Features:
- Not a big fan. We had reservations,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/20/2010Not a big fan. We had reservations, when we arrived the hostess was rude, waitress provided marginal service at best. Meal was okay, chocolate was on the better side but no "wow" factor. Not worth the drive, more hype then anything else.
- The food and desserts areOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/20/2010The food and desserts are excellent. Tables are a bit too small. Thee of us forced to sit on two person table. Not enough space for food drinks candle salt pepper...etc.... also very drafty and cold near window/doors. I understand they want to show the inside to the outside.... but it was downright coldSpecial Features:
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/20/2010This place is AWESOME! If you are a chocolate lover.... my oh my you will be heaven. I don't know that I would go here for the actual dinner/lunch food but breakfast and dessert are a must.Special Features:
- Just seeing the dessert menyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/18/2010Just seeing the dessert meny was fantastic! and as a self-proclaimed chocoholic I was supremely impressed by the actual chocolate fondue we had. The Dinner was good the onion rings were nice and cripsy and the salads were big enough to spilt!Our server was so nice and really knew what he was talking about when he explained things and you could tell he liked it there too. If you love anything and everything chocolate, don't hesitate to go!Special Features: