1287 First St
Sarasota, FL 34236Neighborhood:
ContinentalPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bijoucafe.net/
- Phone: 941-366-8111
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jean-Pierre Knaggs
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have 2 separate private dining rooms. The Bird Room seats up to 30 guests and is fully AV equipped. The Patio Room seats up to 40 and has access to a private outdoor area with fountain.
- Private Party Contact: Karen Thomson 9413668111
- Cross Street: Pineapple Ave
- Public Transit: We are 2 blocks west of the main bus terminal.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: We offer valet parking every day at lunch and every evening during the peak season. We have a private, well lit parking lot across the street and there is plenty of on street parking as well
A word from Bijou Cafe
The Bijou Café, located in the heart of Sarasota’s prestigious Theatre & Arts District since 1986, is one of Florida’s best known restaurants. Chef-owner, Jean-Pierre Knaggs and wife Shay, welcome guests with genuine hospitality and unparalleled service. Chef Knaggs, renowned for his sophisticated innovative cuisine, brings a passion for cooking to breath-taking new heights! For more casual fare The Bijou Cafe offers a lighter Bar Bites Menu in the “Gossips Lounge”, or outside on the Patio, the place to be for seasonal al fresco dining. An award winning, value based wine list and a dazzling collection of imaginative cocktails fulfill even the most ardent imbiber’s desires!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Bijou Cafe - Best Restaurants in Sarasota ›
Bijou Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
137 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (91)fit for foodies (69)romantic (63)neighborhood gem (51)great for lunch (36)notable wine list (25)good for groups (12)great for outdoor dining (11)hot spot (7)great for brunch (6)late-night find (5)vibrant bar scene (4)scenic view (3)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Rehearsal dinner for 10carolDined on 7/24/2014We hosted what turned out to be an amazing rehearsal dinner for our son and future daughter in law. The friendly professional and extremely thorough staff met every expectation and more. Making arrangements from Ohio and making all the arrangements over the telephone we could not have been more pleased with the outcome. Highly recommend for your special occasion in the patio room or one of their private dining area. It will be a special memory to our family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet CelebrationMrBrianDined on 7/23/2014We celebrated my wife's birthday at a corner table in the bar. It was perfect, delicious food, unhurried service and a wonderful vibe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Summer diningmammaDined on 7/21/2014This is the second time this summer that my husband and I dined at this restaurant. His fish entrée on both occasions were excellent. I was disappointed both times. The duck was good but not outstanding. I ordered the pork special this time and was very disappointed. I did not complain since I didn't want to ruin the lovely evening we were having. The wait staff was excellent.Special Features:
- Classy & FulfillingTeriDined on 7/19/2014We really enjoyed the evening...let's start with the Morrocan Salad and the best being the pork shank dinner with tasty sides. The yummy sweet treat salted caramel gelato was a great ending to a wonderful meal.Special Features:
- Lovely restaurantflaxseedVIPDined on 7/19/2014We decided to try this restaurant for the first time in 3 years during Savor Sarasota . This is a great 3 course meal for $29 and a fantastic value. I love the atmosphere, soft and inviting, and comfortable,yet special. I had the shrimp bisque which everyone loved at my table,but I found a bit too salty. Then I had a very nicely prepared salmon,and enjoyed the vegetable plate that someone at our table added on ,and the vegetables were delicious ,not over cooked. Last I enjoyed coconut gelato,yummy and others had a chocolate featured desert with coffee creme. Also very good.We will definitely be more frequent visitors. I forgot that this is a really wonderful restaurant.Special Features:
- Special Night OutSimple92Dined on 7/18/2014Excellent service and wonderful meal. A great place for a special night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Lunch at Bijou CafeMac4104VIPDined on 7/16/2014Took out-of-town guests for lunch, all were impressed with cottage cafe ambience, superior service from Daria, and delicious meals! Tried the Savor Sarasota offering...did not disappoint!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best of Sarasota diningchatziDined on 7/2/2014Bijou is as dependable as they come for excellent, friendly service, fine dining at its best and ambiance that is superior.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatAustinJamborVIPDined on 6/30/2014The Bijou is the place for: Great food, Great service, Great Settting!Special Features:
- Bijou Cafe is great!TXdinerVIPDined on 6/28/2014On our recent trip to Sarasota we had dinner at Bijou Cafe. Wonderful experience. Shared an appetizer - just enough for two. Filet and rack of lamb were perfectly prepared. Waiter was able to give suggestions as far as entrees and wine. Service was just right. You have the feeling of dining in a house….cozy and intimate. But also a good venue for dinner with friends. You can not go wrong with Bijou Cafe. We will definitely return and definitely recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Scott from KnoxscottnknoxDined on 6/26/2014This is our favorite fine dining in the Sarasota area. The food is always exceptional and the service exemplary. You can't go wrong choosing to eat at the Bijou.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Savor Sarasota GemMadamsaVIPDined on 6/23/2014They are having the special $29 Savor Sarasota menu through Aug. The menu changes every 2 wks. Some are more appealing than others but it's always good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Duck Sandwiches!GourmetGirl1Dined on 6/23/2014Amazing duck sandwich with brie & mango chutney. We went to lunch for a co-worker's birthday and everyone had a wonderful meal. Enjoyed the complimentary home made truffles too!Special Features:
- Excellent dinnerLoLoDined on 6/19/2014We took advantage of the Restaurant Week menu and we were happy that we did. The offered selections were diverse enough to please varied palates and the food was wonderful. Our waiter was attentive and very friendly.Special Features:
- lipsmackerDined on 6/18/2014has a $30 prix fixe dinner menu that allows two prescribed courses (appetizer and entree) from the main menu that is a good value. three of us ordered and enjoyed the duck entree. a steak from the regular menu was only fair, was served cold, sent back and returned hot but somewhat dried out. good soups. service enthusiastic but servers could use more training.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What was the fuss about?FoodfantomDined on 6/18/2014I'm beginning to think that America's casual dining addiction has wreaked havoc with the national palate so much so that a 'so-so' restaurant would elicit 4-star reviews and a preponderance of glowing recommendations to an out-of-towner. To be brief, the salmon was overcooked, the mashed potatoes were flavorful but dry and cold, and the dessert - a bread pudding - was gummy, not fluffy, and drizzled with what tasted like Hershey's chocolate sauce accompanied by burnt-tasting sugar water which I am almost certain was meant to be caramel. On the good side, the martini was ample as was the pour of wine, though I would have liked to see more variety by the glass.
- RCS1Dined on 6/16/2014Great food. Prices are a little high but the special menu is a bargain. The servers though were not up to the level of the food and the setting. More like what you would get at an Applebees. They were attentive enough, just not trained.Special Features:
- An All Time Winnerluv2gofirstclassDined on 6/14/2014The Bijou has been my top favorite for many years. When going for a romantic twosome or joining friends for dinner you can always count on excellent food and service. Love it!Special Features:
- Saturday dinnerMozartDined on 6/14/2014Table for 4,not 2.Extremely noisy, lesser menu than before.loved this restaurant, but doubt we will go backSpecial Features:
- Be Back to BijouPUptonDined on 6/14/2014This was our first visit to Bijou and we will be back. Fantastic food and wonderful service.Special Features:
- Great Food and Service but.....SuzreimanVIPDined on 6/13/2014It was almost too loud to be able to enjoy the fabulous meal.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/13/2014Food quality was great. Service was very attentive. It would be a good special occasion place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food! Great Location!time2dineDined on 6/12/2014We are fairly new to the area and tried this restaurant as part of Savor Sarasota. My husband and I agree, this is now one of our favorite restaurants! Highly recommend the duck entrée.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Remains a favoritefriendlyDined on 6/12/2014wish they would add a dab of my all time favorite dauphin potatoes to savor sarasota menu plates ... when you are bringing new folks in to try the restaurant they should show off specialties like that!Special Features:
- SUPERB!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/7/2014There really is no other word to describe the Bijou Cafe-simply the very best that Sarasota has to offerSpecial Features:
- Great Bijou DinnerBallet007VIPDined on 6/7/2014We ordered from the special Restaurant Week menu -- vichyssoise to start, crispy duck with cherry and Grand Marnier sauces for the entrée, and key lime panna cotta for dessert. The meal was delicious. They should serve the special menu regularly.
- Unprepared to handle crowdsurprisedDined on 6/6/2014It took forty-five minutes for the first course to be served. Server hid sparkling water on other side of wall and failed to pour when glass was empty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Savor SarasotaPatriciaDined on 6/6/2014Bijou Cafe is always a great place to have dinner in downtown Sarasota. Perfect for dinner before the theatre, and within easy walking distance to parking. Terrific happy hour and the bartender (female) is excellent. Staff is very good and the food is excellent. They have a loyal following and great wine tasting the first of each month.Special Features:
- Savor Sarasota OpportunitylaurieslandVIPDined on 6/5/2014Savor Sarasota offers a 3-course lunch for $15 and 3-course dinner for $29. Bijou offers only 2 courses at lunch. Why? The food is on par with other restaurants that offer the third course as advertised. The "grilled Caesar salad" was gimmicky. A head of romaine sliced lengthwise is grilled and drizzled with dressing. It didn't elevate the salad from the traditional preparation. The dressing and croutons were ordinary. The cheese wafer was the best part of the course. I enjoyed the generous portion of pork tenderloin very much, but the grits were dry and tasteless. The spinach was delicious. This is a pretty restaurant and a longtime favorite in town. This visit disappointed me, but I'll try it again.Special Features:
- srqloverDined on 6/4/2014Enjoy this lovely restaurant every visit. NEVER DISAPPOINTING. Staff is exceptionally pleasant and always pleased with food and service. Absolutely, one of our Sarasota favorites!Special Features:
- The following 577 reviews are from the Bijou Cafe reviews archive.
- Date nightDatenightVIPDined on 5/27/2014We were recommended to this restaurant the last time we visited Sarasota by the driver of the sedan service. (Nick) For some reason I remembered the name and we made reservations, not knowing what to expect. We were pleasantly surprised. Awesome food. My favorite part was the goat cheese appetizer! Delish! Waitress was very personable and friendly. We will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- QualityNannyVIPDined on 5/21/2014The Bijou Cafe is a superb place to be and the food is fantastic! I wish I could go more often! Great for a romantic anniversary or birthday celebration!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As always greatAustinJamborVIPDined on 5/20/2014great food, great service, very good spot for a biz lunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelightfulgramDined on 5/16/2014The four in our party had a very enjoyable dinner. The waiter was solicitous and had a good sense of humor - a rare find. The chopped salad (with the onion strings on top) was wonderful as were the 2 soups that were ordered. both the white salmon and the veal Milanese were excellent, but the mussels (ordered by 2 of us) were not great. the broth was good , but the mussels were not sweet. When I'm back again (and we will be) I'll order something else.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CharmingRebelVIPDined on 5/15/2014A lovely place to dine. Great service, delicious food. Their potato dish is a must!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EXCELLENTMaryPatriciaDined on 5/14/2014After experiencing some bad Restaurants in Sarasota we were thrilled to find Bijou Café which was superb. We were celebrating a friends Birthday and we of course started with very good champagne. The food was excellent and so was the service. I can only eat gluten free food and our waitress made such an effort to make sure everything was perfect for me to eat. It was a fun evening enjoyed by all our guests and will be returning In the very near future. Bijou Café is consistant and is always good. Thank You very Much for making our evening a great one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite Restaurant in SarasotalovecoffeeDined on 5/11/2014I love the Bijou Cafe. The service is superb, the food is outstanding, it is not for children, but I take my adult children there every season.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb dining experienceJerryDined on 5/10/2014Great food, good service, friendly atmosphere. Definitely worth repeat visits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bijou CafeFinnsterDined on 5/9/2014The best in Sarasota ...classy restaurant with great service and atmosphere. Service is the best with personality and a smile. Lighting is perfect inside and beautiful courtyard outside...and the best.. The food.. Great menu... Every dish better than the last..A must try!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our Anniversary CelebrationFineDiningGuyDined on 5/5/2014We had been to Café Bijou previously and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was the first place I thought of when making this reservation to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We could not have been more pleased with the evening - the greeting was warm and welcoming, service was first rate and the dinner - excellent. The touch at the end recognizing our anniversary capped a special celebration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.