Ristorante La Buca
711 Locust Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Ristorante La Buca
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ristlabuca.com/
- Phone: 2159280556
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room
- Private Party Facilities: Please call for details
- Private Party Contact: Guiseppi or Anthony Giulanni (215) 928-0556
A word from Ristorante La Buca
The name translates as 'the cave' with rooms decidedly 'dark,. La Buca offers excellent, fresh fare (especially the outstanding grilled fish & other traditional Italian seafood!) & experienced old-world service. La Buca is located below street level on Washington Square.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Ristorante La Buca reviews from OpenTable diners
25 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (15)fit for foodies (12)special occasion (12)good for groups (10)romantic (10)notable wine list (5)great for lunch (4)kid-friendly (2)late-night find (1)vibrant bar scene (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- My wife and I have been goingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/2/2013My wife and I have been going to La Buca from the week it opened. You could not ask for a better restuarnt in our neiborhood.TSpecial Features:
- A Classic !dbdbVIPDined on 2/1/2013I remember dining at la Buca years ago....and it's still the same today - extensive menu, excellent/delicious food, attentive waitstaff, pleasant venue (and tables are well separated) ...all at a reasonable price! They must be doing something right all these years....
- First time back in 2 years.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/1/2013First time back in 2 years. It is not the restaurant that it was. Potato was serve cold 7 although larege the veal buca was extremly thin and excessively fried
- Give your review a title (optional)ExellentDined on 1/25/2013Excellent service and our food was cooked perfecty- best steak I've had in a long time!Prices were very reasonable as well. Also conveniently located in the historic district and right around the corner from our hotel. Would definitely recommend-Special Features:
- Nothing to write home about.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/23/2013Food and service were good, but the place was empty and dark. Decor was dated and there was no energy in the room. Could have just been a slow day.
- Great spot with very niceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/5/2013Great spot with very nice and helpful staff. From the moment we got there felt very welcomeSpecial Features:
- We have been there on threesuefrVIPDined on 1/5/2013We have been there on three separate occasions in the past two months. We have definitely found a gem and will continue to return!!Special Features:
- No place I'd rather be forPhoodieVIPDined on 12/31/2012No place I'd rather be for Christmas, NY Eve, or my birthday. Does that say it clearly enough?Special Features:
- Better communication please.OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 12/26/2012I have dined here before and always had a wonderful meal. Unfortunately this time they weren't open, even though I had successfully made an Open Table reservation.
- Nothing special. Food wasOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 12/20/2012Nothing special. Food was decent, service was pretty poor. We weren't offered drinks until I asked after being seated for at least 15-20 minutes. Server didn't return after desert until I got up and walked around the restaurant to find him. The dinner-date for two of us literally took over 2 hours on a week-night. Unacceptable.
- They were so helpful. ItOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 12/8/2012They were so helpful. It started raining and we could not catch a cab. They brought umbrellas an plastic bags and kept trying to call cab. Very nice staff.Special Features:
- A Real GemOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/26/2012In Philadelphia on business, hungry and craving Italian. Lots of good recommendations on Open Table, but something kept drawing me back to the La Buca listing. Glad I listened to that inner voice. My daughter was with me. She'd been in Italy since January and had come home for an extended visit over the holidays. There are few critics as particular and unforgiving as she when it comes to Italian food. So when I tell you that she gave it a two-thumbs-up, it means something. The selections were notable for their variety and authenticity. The service was neighborhood friendly yet totally professional.Special Features:
- We were there for a "pre marathon"lisalouDined on 11/17/2012We were there for a "pre marathon" pasta dinner with a group of 9. There were other large groups as well. The food was delicious and the waiters were friendly. Dinner took a little long to come out after salads. But would attribute that to the large groups which all sat about the same time. Otherwise a great experience!Special Features:
- We made reservations onlineOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/17/2012We made reservations online for a party of 7 for Saturday September 17th at 6pm. The restaurant was maybe a third full, with two 6-plus groups. There may have been other large parties in another part of the restaurant. The waitress was cheerful and initially attentive, but that changed as problems mounted in the kitchen. After a delay in ordering wine because our waitress couldn't locate the one wine list in the restaurant, we ordered our salads/soups and entrees. The salads/soups were served nearly an hour and 15-20 minutes later. The entrees were served another hour later. Other parties were served that arrived after us. The food was good, but I expected the made in-house pasta to taste fresher. We were given a 10% discount.
- Service was incredibly slow.dhopsVIPDined on 11/17/2012Service was incredibly slow. It took almost an hour before our orders were even taken.
- La Buca serves delicious,GMRCAMVIPDined on 11/7/2012La Buca serves delicious, authentic Italian food. My friends and I frequently go there before the theater. My favorite dish is orchetti with broccoli rabe and mushrooms. La Buca also offers an assortment of fresh fish which the waiters show you from their iced cart before you order. The service is unbeatable. We were stuck in traffic due to the storm and arrived late for our reservations. The waiter assured us we would be finished in time to make the show. La Buca offers free parking during dinner and the show. We forgot to pick up our parking lot pass. We called to tell Guiseppe that we would return during intermission, and the owner insisted on delivering it to us at the theater during the rain.
- Tucked away in a basementOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/2/2012Tucked away in a basement right by Washington Square. Very good service. Food was good. The wine list was more expansive than expected. Recommended.Special Features:
- excellent service, very attentive.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/1/2012excellent service, very attentive. A little slow but we were a talkative group so the wait wasn't uncomfortable. Old world charm. God food.Special Features:
- Although the service was aJenniferDined on 10/13/2012Although the service was a bit slow, the waiters were personable, and the food was amazing. It has a great atmosphere. We will definitely go back.
- Old-style Italian still works!SteveinPhillyVIPDined on 10/10/2012We went again for Restaurant Week lunch after a great RW meal last RW and it was just as good. Large portions of old-style Italian food searved by old-style ewaiters that bring back memories. Consistantly good and not "trendy" sometimes it's great to go back to the old more-formal style of Italian dining.Special Features:
- Pleasantly surprisedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/2/2012I had the best soft shell crabs ever and the service was excellent.
- A Great Tried and True Philly SpotBonnieDined on 9/27/2012We went for lunch and took friends. The restaurant was near empty, but it was late in the afternoon for lunch. Our meals were exquisite. Really excellent Italian fare with great service......the most tender veal, ever! Wine selection great too! And right by Washington Square.Special Features:
- DeliciosoOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/20/2012Service was great and food was excellent. Portion sizes were perfect; ingredients were fresh. I am very picky.....couldn't find anything to complain about.Special Features:
- The place does not have theNitsua97Dined on 7/18/2012The place does not have the best decor (think Good Fellas or Godfather) but if you can look past that (& you should), the service is impeccable and the food is outstanding. If you love an Italian restaurant with excellent seafood, you MUST try this place.Special Features:
- This was our first time atOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/10/2012This was our first time at La Buca and we are glad that we found this gem. Very convenient for attendance at the Walnut Street Theater. Staff was very attentive to the time requirement fir theater attendance.Special Features:
- We recommended La Buca toOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/30/2012We recommended La Buca to four other couples who joined us after an afternoon performance at the Arden Theater. We arrived just as the restaurant opened and thirty minutes before our reservation. We sat at the bar and were entertained by Boris, a most affable bartender. My only complaint was that he didn't have all the ingredients for a pina colada. Dinner was wonderful and the waiter complied with a request for spinach gnocci which was not on the menu. We enjoyed a range of seafood to rack of lamb appetizers and entrees as well as creme brulee and zuppa anglese for dessert. Our theater group will return in the fall to enjoy another most-satisfying meal.Special Features:
- I've been going to La BucaOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/27/2012I've been going to La Buca for many years. Tom is the BEST waiter. The seafood is consistently fresh.Special Features:
- The decor is a little dated.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/23/2012The decor is a little dated. The food and service is very good.
- We were asked if attendingfoodaholicVIPDined on 6/16/2012We were asked if attending the theatre and the sevice was very good. Food not much to write home about. Will not go back.
- Considering the huge numberFuopentable6VIPDined on 6/2/2012Considering the huge number of Italian restaurants in Philly, La Buca does not stand out. The specials are too pricy. The service improved but the waiter started out almost defensive. The decor is rather old-fashioned and could stand sprucing up.
- I was taking my 14 year oldOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/31/2012I was taking my 14 year old granddaughter to the theater and dinner beforehand. Having been to La Buca on several prior occasions, I knew she would enjoy the experience. The food and service met my high expectations. Our waiter was charming and his recommendations to us really "fit the bill." As always the Zuppa Inglese was delectable. You receive full value for your money at this restaurant.Special Features:
- dover sole was excellent!FranVIPDined on 5/15/2012dover sole was excellent! the soft shells, however, were too battered and not very tasty. but the place has old world service and charm, with samples of food on a trolley, and excellent service.Special Features:
- Very good food and serviceCactusDined on 5/15/2012Very good food and service and only 1 block from the Walnut Street Theater.Special Features:
- It was a succulent gastronomicOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/11/2012It was a succulent gastronomic experience for me and my wife! The taste was 100% European! We shall return!!Special Features:
- We rely on this place forOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/10/2012We rely on this place for a really good italian dining experience. My drink was excellent, food very good and service was superb. Will definitely continue to frquent La Buca.Special Features:
- The restaurant had amazingFoodieDined on 4/27/2012The restaurant had amazing food and was very authentic italian; however, I would not recommend this location and general ambiance for someone seeking a lively, upbeat, trendy restuarant. It's located in the basement of a building (you have to walk down a bunch of stairs) and the average age of the customers and servers is about 55. The restaurant was half empty; however, I think they do a lot of catering for nearby businesses. All this being said, we had a good meal!
- I've been going to La BucaOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/25/2012I've been going to La Buca for years. The staff remembers your name, the food is consistently good and, more importantly, always fresh since they serve a great deal of seafood.Special Features:
- The restaurant could use someOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/21/2012The restaurant could use some updating into the 21st century, but the food was fantastic and the waitstaff very knowledgable and experienced. The location is great, near the Walnut Theater. They offered us a 30% discount because we booked on Open Table. We liked that.
- Our group of four was veryOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/20/2012Our group of four was very pleased on a recent Friday evening. The soups, entrees and desserts were all very good - a nice variety of Italian dishes.Special Features:
- Great location for theaterMaryDined on 4/18/2012Great location for theater goers to have dinner prior to a play. The one disturbing part of the evening was our waiter told us the tip was "not enough" and it needed to be 15%. We did put in more, but upon rethinking, a tip should be what the diners decide upon not what the waiter decides. Will not return.