Wine Cask - Santa Barbara
813 Anacapa Street
Santa Barbara, CA 93101Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Wine Cask - Santa Barbara
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.winecask.com/
- Phone: 8059669463
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday 11:30am - 2pm, Saturdays noon - 4pm
Intermezzo Bar • Café: Monday-Friday 4:00pm to close, Saturdays 12pm-11pm, Closed on Sundays (walk-in basis only)
Tasting Room: Daily noon to 6pm
Restaurant: Tuesday - Sunday 5:30pm to 9pm or close
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Brandon Hughes
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Wine Cask offers several areas to host your event. There is no fee to enjoy the exclusive use of the restaurant, instead there is a food and beverage minimum expenditure (varies by room and date.)
A credit card hold is required. This deposit is non-refundable unless the reservation is cancelled at least 30 days prior to the date reserved.
A service charge of 20% and CA tax of 8% are additional.
The Special Event Menu is a streamlined version of our dinner menu; designed to provide a restaurant-quality experience. Guests do not have to “pre-order” their meal, instead they are presented with a personalized menu from which to choose. Please understand dishes and ingredients may change.
Vegetarian requests are welcome and certain substitutions are available with prior notice.
We have an award winning extensive wine list. Outside wine is not permitted for groups over ten.
- Private Party Contact: Jennifer Brodt 8059669463
- Special Events: All groups are welcome at Wine Cask. You will have an intimate experience. We offer warm, inviting service featuring sophisticated yet familar cuisine. We offer indoor and outdoor seating, with various options for private events.
A word from Wine Cask - Santa Barbara
The Wine Cask Restaurant, Intermezzo Bar Cafe, Private Dining, and MWC Tasting Room.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Wine Cask - Santa Barbara - Best Restaurants in Santa Barbara ›
Wine Cask - Santa Barbara reviews from OpenTable diners
53 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (39)notable wine list (33)special occasion (32)great for outdoor dining (29)romantic (29)neighborhood gem (13)great for lunch (6)good for groups (4)great for brunch (3)hot spot (3)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- We have been wanting to tryhealthy1VIPDined on 11/8/2013We have been wanting to try this restaurant for many years, but never seem to be in SB at the right time. This was an excellent evening with wonderful food, attentive staff, and great ambiance. We usually bring our wine to most restaurants but thought we would try their suggestions because we wanted to try what they had. We were not disappointed by their recommendations. Definitely a restaurant we will be going back to again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rehearsal DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/5/2013We decided to try to the food at wine cask as we are having our rehearsal dinner here in December. First of all the staff could not be nicer. Sarah, Jenn, and Adam worked with us and made the planning so easy. They were professional, kind, and flexible with our schedules. The ambiance is terrific with outdoor and indoor seating. Excellent lighting and conveniently located just far enough off State Street to avoid the loud noise. It was exactly what we were looking for in a spot for our rehearsal dinner. The food did not disappoint either. Recommended dishes include the white fish, heirloom tomato salad, and bread pudding for dessert. Huge wine selection, make sure to ask for Brandon's recommendations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- communication difficultiesbillramDined on 11/5/2013Making a reservation on the website was a confused process. I loved my duck cassoulet, but my wife was very unhappy with her carpaccio and the lobster and leek appetizer was so-so. The hostess and server were great about discussing these and other matters. But when we asked to report our comments to the manager, they promised us it would happen but it never did. We've always liked the Wine Cask up to now,
- Delicious Wine CasksarielaDined on 11/2/2013Wine Cask food, service, and overall experience was great. The flavors in each dish went so well together. Excellent food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch in Santa BarbaraSachiDined on 11/1/2013Wine Cask is our favorite restaurant for lunch in Santa Barbara. We introduced our granddaughters to a pleasant lunch with white tablecloth in the patio by the water fountain and we all enjoyed our delicious meals. We were all hungry after spending the morning in the Santa Barbara Botanical Gardens. The sweet potato fries are not to be missed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still a great choiceJDSSBDined on 10/26/2013The Wine Cask can still boast a wonderful menu - terrific dishes with locally sourced ingredients, and fairly priced. The wine list is excellent, although it would be nice to see more moderately-priced selections. The service, while very friendly, was a bit unresponsive. We'll go back again - could have been an off night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow!MadamTravelalotDined on 10/16/2013As my silly screen name suggests, I travel a LOT. When my business travel affords me a chance to try a local restaurant, there is a lot on the line. I eat at great places all over the country for business entertainment and I am a bit spoiled. But, when I am out on my own dime and with my own limited time, I really want something special. The Wine Cask did not disappoint! The food was creative, delicious, beautifully presented, and did I mention delicious?! The service was efficient, knowledgeable, but not at all stuffy. I chose to sit outside as the weather was gorgeous, so my comments on ambiance are specific to the courtyard. It was peaceful and intimate feeling. Great for a date or a small gathering of good friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wine exceeds serviceLEG1Dined on 10/15/2013While the wine was too expensive, it did exceed a vanishing service.
- Wonderful EveningwhocareswhoiamVIPDined on 10/12/2013We thoroughly enjoyed our dining experience here. From the moment we arrived, staff was friendly and attentive. Can't say enough about the excellent service, thank you Derrick. The menu is unique and offered so many interesting options, we wanted to try everything. The ceviche of the day was quite good, served in a small martini glass. The lamb sweetbreads were incredible and plentiful. They were served on a bed of delicious fava beans with mushrooms and sauce. The braised beef cheek was a large eight ounce portion, absolutely delicious! The duck trio also delicious, served with a flavorful leg confit, melt in your mouth pork cheek and tasty sausage and with a small, but filling, crock of white bean stew. We will definitely return!!!!!Special Features:
- It Was Fan-Cask-TicThepleasurewasalldineDined on 10/4/2013I was sent to scope this place out for an upcoming business event. Lucky me! The atmosphere is amazing, the food was not only superb, but certainly not your normal, run-of-the-mill upscale menu choices. The menu was both sophisticated & fun -- not an easy accomplishment. Our waiter was attentive, knowledgable & had a sense of humor, which I very much appreciated. A great setting for business or pleasure -- or a little of both!Special Features:
- Highly recommended restaurantsVeroniqueDined on 10/4/2013Excellent food, nice atmosphere, prompt service, waiters knowledgeable of wine and made good recommendations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food/wine, mediocre serviceBadgerbuddiesDined on 9/29/2013How utterly disappointing to have an amazing chef running the kitchen but a waitstaff that doesn't deliver. Especially when you are paying a hefty price for the experience. Our waiter was efficient, but his demeanor was rude and condescending. After 3-1/2 hours of "his greatness", he disappeared behind the curtain, never to return. There are too many other restaurants in SB with the whole package.Special Features:
- OUTSTANDING!AllanDined on 9/28/2013The strip steak I had was one of the best I have ever had! My wife's vegetarian plate had some interesting items she had never had before, but did not hold a candle to my meal. I would heartily recommend this place to anyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply outstanding.UtfromfloridaDined on 9/25/2013This was a wonderful dining experience. Our server was knowledgeable in helping us select wine to pair with our various menu selections, offered up a special dish for the vegetarian in the group, introduced us to the pastry chef who prepared a scrumptious dessert. All of our food choices looked great and tasted even better. The atmosphere was charming. Overall, a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wine Cask ExcellenceJBDUVIPDined on 9/24/2013A return visit after many years did not disappoint. Marvelous evening at Wine Cask.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better than ever.AZFoodieVIPDined on 9/13/2013We've been eating at wine cask for twenty years. It's been up, it's been down, it closed, but now it's better than ever. There was a big private party on the patio so we had to eat inside, kind of a bummer. The food selections and classic interior made up for our disappointment. I would highly recommend the Duck Trio.Special Features:
- What a wonderful lunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/3/2013My husband and I had a delicious lunch on the outdoor patio. A chilled glass of rose, crab and corn cakes, yummy!! We will definitely go back for dinner next time.Special Features:
- Great Food and wineOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/31/2013We had three of the flatbreads offered and all were delicious. The ceviche special was good but barely enough to share with another person. Service was excellent however we were not happy with the seating. We had requested a patio table and because they were having a special event, we were seated at a sidewalk table in the adjacent cafe (part of the Wine Cask). It was very noisy as it is on a very busy street. It would be appropriate for the restaurant to send an alert as we would have much preferred to dine elsewhere on a quiet patio and come back at a more appropriate time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fine wine restaurantlarryVIPDined on 8/20/2013Wine cask is a terrific downtown restaurant that boasts both a great indoor space (maybe nicest interior in town) and a comfortable outdoor dining area. The wine list is outstanding with heavy representation of local wines. The wine director is very helpful and the service is outstanding. Wine cask also has a creative menu that is executed very wellSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What are they thinking ?ronpDined on 8/18/2013Took my wife and guest to dinner Sunday. Guest and I ordered salmon. Wife ordered cassoulet. Brought food gave my wife chicken instead of cassoulet. They took all plates back apologized said it would be 10 minutes to replace. 20 minutes later brought food. I noticed sauce for salmon looked slightly coagulated. Salmon was tepid. Same for guest. They had obviously just put our dishes on a hot table while they made cassoulet. I complained to manager. He agreed it was no way to build rep as quality restaurant. He offered to replace our salmon But we had been there an hour and a half. And I had to get out of town. Guest and I picked at dinner. Manager comped one of salmon dinners. In my mind he should have done more. Won't go back.Special Features:
- Delicious.MarkDined on 8/16/2013Could not have asked for a better experience to image press my out of town friend. One of the very best establishments in Santa Barbara.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic Evenening !!!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/16/2013I mentioned on my open table reservation that my husband and I were celebrating our 35th anniversary. Glad I did!! The maitre'd or wine steward greeted us with a glass of sparkling chardonnay that was outstanding. The staff was extremely friendly and went out of their way to be gracious. All of the appetizers and entrees were outstanding preparations of regional cuisine. We were seated one table from the fireplace, it was such a beautiful romantic dinner . If we had eaten a similar meal at a place conveniently located to us it would've been at least $50.00 more . This place is an exceptional value!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Osso Buco was fantastic!,OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/14/2013Osso Buco was fantastic!, Divers scallops were yum, however 3 scallops for 30 plus dollars... I think they could have placed 4-5 on plate. and made ample profit. This meal was simply incredible! Eat right at 5:30 pm and you will have place to yourself! Very romantic and quiet!Special Features:
- Cocktail Fun at the Chef's CounterFroggyDined on 8/13/2013Bartender Matt spoiled we three ladies at the Chef's Counter on Wednesday eve. It was a fairly low key night in the restaurant, but we hardly noticed since we received such excellent attention from Matt, who enthusiastically described his cocktail concoctions & checked in on us frequently. The drinks were just what we hoped for -- interesting renditions with topnotch ingredients. We ordered five items from the bar menu & all were excellent; actually, the Mission Flatbread with fig preserve, blue cheese, arugula, & aged balsamico was outrageously good. We sat at the counter for 3 hours, very comfy & had a wonderful evening. The waitress who guided our food ordering was very helpful & nice, sorry I didn't catch her name.Special Features:
- A night st the operaOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/3/2013We had a nice (ok... Small) table. Romantic ambiance. Great local wine list. The food was, compared to all the fast food chains, excellent. Service was very kind although we think we met the whole crew during the evening. Everyone poured us the glasses. Over all probabely the best restaurant in santa barbara.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was a spoilerOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 7/21/2013Wine Cask is a lovely restaurant with a serene and attractive patio just perfect for outdoor dining. Service started off well, but after problems with a poorly maintained wine list I think our server just decided we weren't worth the effort. My steak was good, my husband's fish was rather bland but his kale salad was tasty, and my friend's pork selection was good. Water was not refilled, we had to refill our own wine glasses, and our server appeared only after I spoke with the manager, who also seemed to be unfazed but polite.Special Features:
- Wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 7/18/2013We had a delightful dinner at Wine Cask. I selected it based on its good reviews on Yelp and a recommendation by Wine Spectator. Our server was great and the food was really good. We ordered a variety of wines by the glass, and that wasn't an issue at all. The only bummer was the loud construction going on outside on the street - I'm talking jack-hammers at 7:00 pm on a Thursday night. Even our server was baffled. It stopped a little after 8:00 pm and the patio seating became a calm and lovely place to dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food here is alwasys fantastic.OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/2/2013The food here is alwasys fantastic. The setting is beautiful, the wine list is focused on the local vinters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!StephanieDined on 6/25/2013We had a delicious lunch (the calamari is fantastic) but what made the meal so memorable was the attention of the staff. Our waiter clearly knew his wine and was very solicitious without being fawning! We could have spent the entire day sipping wine and asking our waiter's opinion on the selections. For us, it was a fantastic change of pace from the lack of attention to service that we've experienced in our hometown of Los Angeles. Thanks, Wine Cask!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MEH!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/23/2013Our 29th anniversary nite and was looking forward to this restaurant as we had heard and read about it for years. Upon arrival we walked into the restaurant to an off putting fish house smell, nasty! Throughout our meal this smell came and went, nasty. Our wait person was attentive though not personable. We both ordered salads, her's a Kale salad and myself the Farmers Market salad. My wife loved her salad and mine was decent though the whipped parmesan odd. My entree Kurobuta Pork, though minuscule portion wise, was ok and though my plate was searing hot the pork temp tepid and overcooked. My wife liked her mushroom risotto, I make better. Ah dessert... Bread Pudding... burnt, mediocre flavor. Crazy $$$, fishy smell, can't recommend!Special Features:
- This was a special eveningCanCookDined on 6/22/2013This was a special evening with my three daughters and we had one of the most memorable dining experiences. I travel all over the United States and dine at a variety of fine restaurants but this is definitely on my top 5 list. Wonderful parings of vegetables, herbs, sauces starting from the first course to the entree. Excellent service and outdoor ambiance was perfect. Highly recommend if you're in Santa Barbara.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- QualityDougDined on 6/20/2013The ambiance was quiet, and unrushed. The menu had several unusual items, and few enough for the kitchen to keep everything in mind during the preparation. The food and service left nothing to be desired.Special Features:
- A Santa Barbara GemMayorhalDined on 6/13/2013The Wine Cask is a food and wine lover's delight. A charming bistro with an incredible wine list. I have eaten in many Santa Barbara restaurants and this has some of the best food in town!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply wonderfulKAS1VIPDined on 6/12/2013We had an outstanding lunch here. The service was very attentive and included information about wine pairings that was very helpful. When we ordered the tomato soup which was excellent, our waiter realized that my wine had not been served yet, and he instead brought me a free glass of wine that went better with my soup, and then the wine I had ordered that went best with my entree was timely served next.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/8/2013The dinner was one of the best I've had in the last year. 5 stars!!Special Features:
- Birthday celebrationbirthday7dinnerDined on 6/6/2013My girlfriend took me for my birthday and they welcomed us by saying Happy Birthday I think a nice to touch would of been a complimentary dessert. They were all very aware it was my birthday as my friend mentioned it when she made the reservations.Would of been a nice final touch to the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food!FoodcentricDined on 5/25/2013Good food! Service was very accommodating. I went for a special occasion hoping for a quiet afternoon. Alas, not quiet even at 3pm. To my surprise, main dining room closed in the afternoon. I made reservations for the Wine Cask intending to sit inside, not outside or inside their bar extension called the Intermezzo. This was a bit annoying, made worse by an infant. Some parents came for wine and brought a crying baby. Who brings a child to a bar and drinks in the afternoon? If you like good food and good service, come for the food and service. Don't come for a romantic or quiet meal anytime before the sunsets.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Occasion? Not @ Wine CaskMar5AndDined on 5/24/2013I decided to take my wife to this expensive restaurant on her birthday. When I made the reservation I informed open table that it was a special night... my wife's birthday. I confirmed reservation later with the Wine Cask and again made it known that our dinner was to celebrate my wife's birthday... they responded that this was noted in our reservation. Although the food was good (not great) and our service was ok, not one person in the restaurant mentioned anything whatsoever to my wife regarding her birthday. We will not return to the Wine Cask, and I would not recommend it for anyone planning a special occasion if you want the to acknowledge such.Special Features:
- Better and BetterOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/24/2013Each time return to the Wine Cask we are more impressed than the last time. The whole crew has really come together to make this one of Santa Barbara's best dining experiences.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome FoodTristanDined on 5/19/2013I am vegetarian, my girlfriend loves fish. Both of us were absolutely satisfied with our starters, main courses and deserts. The food is amazing, the wine menu holds high quality wines. The service is also able to give good recommendations for every taste. We had a very nice evening at the Wine Cask!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.