Bistro du Midi
272 Boylston Street
Boston, MA 02116Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
Bistro du Midi
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bistrodumidi.com/
- Phone: 6174267878x
- Hours of Operation:
Reservations are only accepted for dinner in the main dining room.
Lunch and dinner in the Cafe served on a walk-in basis.
5:00pm - 10:00pm Monday to Sunday
11:00pm - 3:00pm Saturday and Sunday
Our Cafe Menu is served ALL DAY Monday through Friday beginning at 11:30am, and beginning at 3:00pm Saturday and Sunday.
(Served ONLY in the Cafe and at the bar, until 10:00 Sunday - Wednesday, until 11:00 Thusday - Saturday)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Provencal, French
- Executive Chef: Robert Sisca
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our private Wine Room can accommodate groups from 10 to 25 behind handsome sliding barn doors. The room features a stunning view of Boston's public garden, original sketches by Henri Matisse against deep red walls and a window into our upstairs wine cellar. The Wine Room is a perfect option for intimate family gatherings, business meetings and celebrations of any type.
Our semi-private Matisse Alcove sits just off the main dining room with three walls around the table and the fourth side open to the dining room, providing parties of 6 to 10 guests with a more intimate dining experience while still allowing guests to enjoy the energy of the restaurant.
- Private Party Contact: Sam Wolf (email@example.com) 6174267878x
- Special Events: As a way of sharing Bistro du Midi's passion for wine with everyone, we frequently host guest sommelier nights and private wine dinners hosted by winemakers, vineyard owners and other wine industry professionals. Please visit the Events & News section of www.bistrodumidi.com for details and updates.
- Cross Street: Arlington
- Public Transit: Bistro du Midi sits directly across from Boston's Public Garden half a block from the Arlington T station on the Green Line, on the outskirts of the fabulous Back Bay neighborhood.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet begins at 5:00. $18 per car, cash only.
A word from Bistro du Midi
Bistro du Midi is an authentic Provencal Bistro focusing on the cuisine from Menton to Marseille. We offer an extensive wine list, spectacular southern French food in a relaxed atmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
Bistro du Midi - Best Restaurants in Back Bay ›
Bistro du Midi reviews from OpenTable diners
202 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (136)special occasion (134)romantic (101)notable wine list (88)scenic view (66)neighborhood gem (53)great for outdoor dining (35)good for groups (28)vibrant bar scene (22)hot spot (20)great for lunch (9)great for brunch (8)late-night find (8)Show More
- BEWARE *EXTREMELY* Over-Hyped FoodIsabelleArcherDined on 8/31/2014Boyfriend and I were visiting in town and I wanted to find a romantic dinner for two - something nice but not extravagantly expensive. Everything fit the bill: location, ambience, service... Except the food (especially for the price). This restaurant is categorized as French, but the menu is very seafood-oriented. There were only a handful of dishes prepared without it. I ordered the roast chicken, which ended up costing $50 (the waiter failed to clarify when I asked if I could order a single portion). This, in and of itself, is fine except that the chicken was devoid of flavor (sadly, I've tasted better at Costco or the local supermarket) and my side of veggies was less than 1/6 cup. We spent $200 on a very lackluster, disappointing meal.Special Features:
- Not the best experience this timeMariyaDined on 8/31/2014I've been going to Bistro du Midi for 4 years. Every holiday and special occasion is spent here. Usually I have the pleasant experience I have become so used to having at this romantic and fabulous restaurant. This time around, I was a little disappointed. The waitress took forever (the place wasn't packed), I wasn't able to order my favorite chicken dish because it was exclusive to first floor diners (first time this has happened, usually they are so accommodating) and the dish I did order, wasn't up to Bistro du Midis standards. Not sure what's going on here, but I may think twice before visiting my favorite restaurant in Boston again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our very favoritesMimiVIPDined on 8/30/2014Bistro du Midi is one of our very favorite restaurants in Boston. We love eating outside or, on cooler evenings and lunches, we like a window table upstairs. The the atmosphere is romantic ,food is superb and the service is excellent. The staff is welcoming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food4fuelDined on 8/29/2014Bistro du Midi is one of my favorite restaurants for the quality of the food-excellent escargot, fantastic wine list and sommelier. Better to go when it is not Dine Out Boston week. Lovely dining room. We had the good fortune of sitting at the same table, overlooking the Public Garden.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/29/2014We were well taken care of once upstairs in the restaurant. The woman at the reception encouraged us to have a drink at the bar downstairs which we did but then sent other couples upstairs during the time we were waiting and they got a better table..window on the public garden. We were fine but seated next to a family with a baby on the inner side of the room. We love kids but not when out for a romantic celebration.Special Features:
- Always OutstandingbitsandpiecesVIPDined on 8/29/2014We have been fans of Bistro du Midi for a few years, sometimes grabbing lunch at the first floor setting, other times having an elegant dinner upstairs. The menu is lovely, the food outstanding (the monk fish with sauce au poive is our favorite and the souffles are melt-in-your-mouth delicious) and the servers are knowledgeable, professional and very good. On Friday we sampled a few different sides, the brussel sprouts, polenta and haricots vert. All the vegetables were fresh and beautifully prepared. The polenta was a great pairing with the monkfish. The blueberry tart (it had a nice rich blueberry flavor, not too sweet) which is served with a caramel sorbet is outstanding, too. Think I have run out of superlative adjectives....Special Features:
- Good but very noisynickVIPDined on 8/28/2014the Maitre D was excellent, but overall everything was good but not wow. An incredibly noisy place(lowish ceiling, hard surfaces etc) makes it very difficult to hear anything that's said, whether at your table or the wait staff. In addition, the waiter spoke very quickly and not too clearly so it was difficult to understand what he said. The food was good as was the wine selection, but everything was overshadowed by the harshness of the noise. If we return, it would only be outside downstairs.
- Consistently goodPileatedVIPDined on 8/28/2014One of the best views in town. Solid service. But the food is the highlight. No bad choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Doing Dine Out Boston rightOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/28/2014A group of friends never says die...and insists on a Restaurant Week outing (now Dine Out Boston) at least annually. We've had very mixed experiences in the last few years. Bistro du Midi has restored my faith in what such an event should be! $38 for a choice of three courses gave us wonderful options for starters, entrees and desserts. The upstairs room is lovely, lively and comfortable. Our service was friendly, prompt and attentive. Starter portions were appropriately sized to provide delicate tastes of such items as hamachi (fish) tartare, escargot and pate. The gnocchi entree was heavenly. Desserts were fantastic. We really felt welcomed and well-served. This is the way to get return customers!Special Features:
- HughesVIPDined on 8/26/2014The hospitality was extra-ordinary, and the food was also the best one would expect. After our third great experience, we wil return with a group of friends.Special Features:
- Wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014We met my sister and niece who were flying into Boston to catch a connecting flight to Italy. What a wonderful place! Top notch! Food and staff were Excellent!!!!!! Only recommendation would be although the plate was very hot, monk fish was not. Thanks for a great evening!Special Features:
- Always reliablemellenVIPDined on 8/22/2014Classic bistro food with a modern twist. Excellent wine program and the sommeliers are always helpful in finding a unique selection to complement the food. Service can be a little rushed when they are really busy.Special Features:
- Helpful staffOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/19/2014This was our first visit to Bistro du Midi, and we found it a bit noisy for our plans. The staff was very accommodating and made our meal the wonderful occasion we had hoped for!Special Features:
- 1bostonDined on 8/18/2014prefer tablecloths...........menu a bit limited......wine list was also limitedSpecial Features:
- First Class DiningPtownbillyVIPDined on 8/17/2014The restaurant faces The Public Garden and has those charming views from both floors; downstairs has the bar, open windows, and nice outdoor seating; upstairs has expansive windows, and a sumptuous and elegant feel. Every staff member was welcoming, gracious and attentive. The food is quite fit for foodies, perfectly prepared and beautifully presented. This is a place to impress, on a level with the marvelous L'Espalier.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad ServicesouthendFoodieVIPDined on 8/17/2014Service was awful- waiter didn't seem interseted and was always distracted. There were 3 in our party- apparently the waiter didn't write down what each of us ordered for appetizer, dinner, or dessert. Each time I was given the meal my boyfriend or mother was supposed to get! Come on- isn't this supposed to be "fine dining"? I had to repeatedly pour my own water- as no one came by to check. Besides bad service- I ordered the wrong items. Bouillabaise with no flavor and all mush of fish. My lemon blueberry dessert had no flavor and was hard as a rock. My mom's souffle was more like a molten lava cake with no flavor. The duck and Samon cru were good. Def not hurrying back or even going back.
- Great place to celebrate!!!TrishVIPDined on 8/17/2014Took my oldest friend to Bistro du Midi to celebrate her dinner. Everything was spectacular!!! Love the lamb neck!!!Special Features:
- Fantastic!KFBLVIPDined on 8/16/2014Bistro us Midi is consistently outstanding on every level! We have never been disappointed by anything we have eaten, the service or the wine list. Todd, the sommelier, was very helpful picking out a wonderful wine, he really listened to what kind my husband was interested in. His suggestion, which we took and really enjoyed, was in the middle of the $ range my husband gave him. The service is impeccable and yet they don't take themselves too serious. Fabulous and wonderful dining experience.Special Features:
- GiftSatisfiedDined on 8/13/2014We celebrated 2 birthdays in the Bistro du Midi. It was 6 of us and we were seated in the back of the restaurant in the private area on the second floor! We all felt like we were the only ones in the restaurant and the staff catered to our needs only. Our waitress was very accommodating, knowledgeable and prompt. The food was wonderful! We ordered various appetizers and entrees from the menu and everything was delicious. We will definitely be back and will recommend the restaurant to all our friends. The atmosphere of the restaurant, the amazing food, wonderful service was truly a a great gift for our birthday celebration. THANK YOU!Special Features:
- Consistently GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/11/2014Had another very good meal at Bistro du Midi. I was not a fan when it first opened but it has greatly improved and I now go frequently. Both service and food and excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall goodSuthurnvisitorDined on 8/9/2014Seated upstairs which had a great ambience. Our waiter seemed disconnected and minimally interested in making our first experience memorable. My friend ordered a stead MEDIUM and it came out WELL DONE...when i mentioned to the waiter he looked as though "geez...what a pain" and didn't even apologize until the very end of the meal. The manager came out subsequently and apologized; they also comped the stead which i thought was fair since I had almost finished (Trying to eat slow) my entree when the steak arrived. The recooked steak was amazing. The food was great with some interesting twists. Even though the waiter put a damper on our meal I would recommend if you haven't been.I would recommend this to a friend.
- 30thDined on 8/9/2014The overall experience was excellent. The food, service and extra attention to detail could not have been better. The staff was very accommodating, we celebrated our wedding anniversary here and they made sure it was an enjoyable experience. Thank you!Special Features:
- PapitoDined on 8/9/2014Waiter and accompanying service excellent. Food was excellent. The only negative factor was the lack of white tablecloths on the table. The bare wood, somewhat used tables are not consistent with the food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent summer dinner experienceJoeNomadDined on 8/9/2014This was my second visit to Bistro du Midi after first stop here a year ago on winter afternoon for a coffee and desert. I looked at the menu and promised myself to come back. This past saturday, after a long walk, I decided to stop for early dinner and enjoy a relaxing meal. I was able to sit outside on the small patio facing Public Garden. I had a "tea cured wild salmon" for entrée froide (appetizer) - as close as you can get to sushi but the fish was very delicate with a hint of tea (and no salty sauce to kill the taste). For the main course I had a roasted monkfish with asparagus, chanterelles and sauce au poivre. All components very well balanced and accompanied the delicate taste of fish. Service was very attentive. Great experience!Special Features:
- Simply Amazing!!Jefferson0768Dined on 8/2/2014If you haven't treated yourself to dinner at Bistro du Midi do yourself a favor and book a reservation immediately!! Its definitely one of Boston's best and the entire experience in nothing short of divine. Its the closest you can come to experiencing Parisian food in Boston! I highly recommend it to all especially foodies.Special Features:
- Another Superb Dining ExperienceAandAinActonDined on 8/2/2014My wife and I had another superb dining experience at Bistro du Midi. Food and service are always excellent. We almost tried the tasting menu (it looked really interesting) but it was my wife's birthday and she really loves Bistro's mussels (appetizer) and Chocolate Soufflé for dessert - so that's what she had.Special Features:
- Had a great timeOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/31/2014We went here for an anniversary and it did not disappoint. The wait staff and sommelier were very friendly, and all of our dishes were delicious. The chocolate souffle is worth the wait, I'm glad I ordered early as recommended. I'd pass on the tuna tartar next time though, not what I expected after other restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Luv2eatLuv2eatDined on 7/31/2014The waiter was very attentive and knowledgable, without bing intrusive. The meals were all exceptional both in preparation and presentation. The 4 different meals served at our table were all delicious. The view of the Public Garden was an added bonus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing mealsniderbdDined on 7/29/2014We had the seven course tasting meal and it was fantastic. The service was outstanding and was a great end to our vacation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum.OmnivoreVIPDined on 7/26/2014We love all things Provence, when done well. This place certainly qualifies. The quality of the food and the creativeness of its preparation makes this a good value. We enjoyed a tasting menu with paired wines, and everything aligned beautifully. We were a little too close to the servers' station, which was distracting. However, the service was well coordinated and the servers were not only knowledgeable, you could tell they were genuinely proud of their product. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was boring not what I expectedDisappointedDined on 7/26/2014The food was mediocre. I ordered grilled pork chops and got grilled ham. Just like a Honey Baked ham without the honey. I have eaten there before and the food was good, not this time.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/25/2014Lovely restaurant. Noise level is a bit energetic. Great menu and ambiance. Haven't been there since it was Biba! Downstairs bar and bistro is attractive and fun and open to the street...very European.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great wine suggestionsUKvisitorsDined on 7/25/2014Waiter made great wine suggestions to accompany each course.Special Features:
- FleurDeLisFleurDeLisDined on 7/22/2014We truly had an amazing meal here. Each and every bite was a special experience. The chef goes to great lengths to surprise you with flavors and textures that are really amazing and profound. In addition, we had a wonderful waiter with an incredible knowledge of the food and the fascinating processes the chef used to create the dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, varying servicevisitingscholarDined on 7/20/2014Firstly, the food is truly great and the menu is filled with interesting dishes. Also, great desserts. On the downside - to us - was part of the service. Our waiter was in sales mode and seemed more interested in repeating additional items than answer my particular question. We often decide between appetizer + entree or entree + dessert (a three-course meal can often be too heavy). This seemed completely lost on the waiter who wouldn't let up on getting us to add dishes. He was almost condescending regarding the wine selection. We're very interested in wine and sometimes like to make certain pairings. I'm not necessarily interested in getting a sneer when doing so. It picked up afterwards and was probably an anomaly, but still a shame.Special Features:
- Good view, exceptional foodOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/19/2014Great view of the public gardens from the first floor bar. Service was exceptional and the food is top notch. The braised lamb was exceptional, as was the chocolate souffle.Special Features:
- LovelyafsssgVIPDined on 7/18/2014Bistro du Midi has become my favorite place for an anniversary dinner. Among other specialties, they do wonderful things with fish.Special Features:
- AmazingAngelDined on 7/17/2014Great food and service. The best monk fish ever. Beautiful place for an special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A taste of ProvenceBeach48VIPDined on 7/16/2014My husband and I had a wonderful dinner at Bistro du Midi. We missed having bouillabaisse on a recent trip to Provence so I had to have it here and it was everything it should be from all the delicious seafood to the fish soup base. My husband started with the lamb tartare and had grilled lamb chops for his entree both of which he loved. I started with the foie gras in rhubarb coulis which was also wonderful. We both had chocolate souffles which were so rich and worth every calorie! The staff was attentive and very pleasant. And, we had a lovely view of the Boston Commons. We can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Great RestaurantMichDonVIPDined on 7/8/2014I chose this restaurant for my husband's birthday. They have us a great table over-looking the park. Nice decor and the service was wonderful. Food is excellent. Great wine list and yummy soufflé for dessert. Would definitely recommend. Noticed some nice private dining rooms and will think about this place for our next group dinner. On the pricey side but not outrageous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.