35 W. 20th St.
New York, NY 10011Neighborhood:
Gramercy / Flatiron
GreekPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.periyali.com/
- Phone: 2124637890
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday 12:00pm-3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday 5:30pm-11:00pm, Friday & Saturday 5:30pm-11:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Greek
- Executive Chef: Jimmy Henderson
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Periyali is available for private events of all sizes and offers personally customized menus and experiences no matter what kind of event you are looking to book.
- Private Party Contact: Dimitri Kyroulis 2124637890
A word from Periyali
A cool Mediterranean retreat from the city's chaos, with fabric-swathed ceilings and pristine white furnishings. Even on a hectic night, service is calm and competent, and the professional couples at most of the tables seem to be speaking in peaceful whispers. The kitchen offers scintillating versions of hearty, refreshing Greek favorites. Souvlaki is charcoal-grilled and up scaled with filet mignon to produce an impressively tender, succulent result. Wine-marinated octopus legs are also charcoal-grilled, resulting in astounding flavor and not a hint of rubberness. Classics like garlicky skordalia, fava beans, sauteed chicken livers over lentils, and spanakopita are all best-of-breed versions, the latter prepared as a platter of bite-sized pies. A sizeable portion of moussaka, consisting of layers of juicy ground lamb and eggplant, tied together by a superlative béchamel. For dessert, the array of delicate pastries and the deeply creamy rice pudding are excellent without exception.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreek
Periyali - Best Restaurants in Gramercy / Flatiron ›
Periyali reviews from OpenTable diners
139 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (82)fit for foodies (62)special occasion (51)romantic (49)great for lunch (31)good for groups (27)notable wine list (17)great for outdoor dining (9)great for brunch (7)late-night find (7)kid-friendly (4)hot spot (4)scenic view (1)Show More
- Lovely Night Out2WhoLove2eatDined on 4/11/2014As mentioned by most reviewers the Grilled octopus is delicious. We each ordered a serving as my husband didn't want to share his. The Greek salad was also very good, fresh ripe tomatoes and a delicate dressing. We both had lamb chops which was wonderful, me with he Arni Yuvesti, my husband with the chops. Will definitely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulJoanVIPDined on 4/9/2014Everything, from the warm greeting at the door to the pretty environment to the truly memorable beet salad, salmon en croute and scrumptious assortment of cake, all at a most reasonable price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent night with friendsBonAppLetsEatDined on 4/5/2014Periyali was an absolute gem. From the very diverse bar, the courteous hostess and the very attentive owner, my friends and I were welcomed and taken care of through our entire dining experience. They definitely back up the reviews for decor and food. Highly recommend the octopus and quail to start. We will absolutely be back to take in the other great cuisine on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it!487TDined on 4/2/2014Periyali is a good restaurant with very good Greek food, the grilled Octopus is the best in New York City and is the same of 20 years really good. Small menu but with everything you want, I love the chicken livers over lentil for an appetizer also great to share. Always reliable with a very nice atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointmentBarbVIPDined on 3/25/2014This used to be a charming place with delicious food. Food was over cooked and service was too swift and impersonal.
- Positive all roundOccasionaldinerDined on 3/22/2014We chose Periyali mainly because it was well reviewed on New York Magazine's site, was conveniently located, and accepted OpenTable reservations. We also like Greek food. It was better than we expected. The service was efficient and friendly, the food was light, fresh, and tasty (especially the sardine appetizer). We would certainly recommend the restaurant and look forward to another visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always greatOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/20/2014been going here year after year and it is always delicious and comfortable. Food is fresh and clean. All the staff is warm and welcoming especially Philip, the host. A great place to have a quiet conversation with someone but also great for celebrations. Food is very very delicious and classic Greek. thank you, Periyali!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Killer OctopusfairfaxDined on 3/14/2014A straight-forward Grecian fish restaurant that offers stellar grilled octopus. The grilled bronzino and black bass were well prepared during a recent evening meal but it was the octopus tender in a rich buttery-lemony sauce that made this place special..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food/hostile, rude waiterRussellVIPDined on 3/14/2014Best grilled octupus ever! Have been enjoying fine Greek dining at Periyali and reommending it for years, However, will now forewarn them to be assertive with the staff regarding preferences/orders. After requesting a table in one of more quiet back rooms, we were put at a table in the busy /active confluence of three rooms. Not quiet. All but one of us ordered off of the prixe-fixe menu, (each or us pointed to the items on the fixed-price menu). The waiter seemed annoyed at our questions about the menu. The birthday honoree(a huge fan of Periyali also) asked for a soda refill three times before finally getting it the 4th. No coffee/dessert offered..the check revealed that every dish was ordered a la carte. Very disappointing service.Special Features:
- The food at Periyali's isEnoEsiwVIPDined on 3/13/2014The food at Periyali's is consistently excellent as is the service. A varied menu and all the dishes I have had are worth the trip. Moderately priced. Friendly spot. Even with the bar, it is not noisy - gods place to eat, relax, and talk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Long Time FavoriteJerryDined on 3/9/2014Need to accomodate separate checks. Need to have more moderate prices wines. Our waiter was busy with two large groups and we didn't get enough attention.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Greek miracleosullivjosDined on 3/8/2014This is a lovely little restaurant, a lovely step-down space and somewhat reminiscent of Greece with its blue and white motif. That's where the romance ends, I'm sad to say. The food was a bit like peasant food, which is not to say it's bad but in Manhattan one expects a bit of finesse--especially at Periyali prices. And how authentic is the food if the main featured fish is salmon? There is a strange ethnic mix of serving staff and so the Greek ambiance is diminished; overall, the service was inattentive, gruff, lacking in warmth or polish. Amazingly, the place was packed so they must be doing something right.
- Nice place for LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/7/2014Great atmosphere! Food was good! Service was ok. This is a great spot for lunch not crowded low to moderate noise level, so you're able to get some work done even take a call.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food and service. ashomewreckerDined on 3/1/2014great food and service. as usual..looking forward .to my next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- StressNiffDined on 3/1/2014I read that it was a cosy and quiet Greek restaurant where you could enjoy a meal in calm locations. I think the food was OK, not something special but OK. I think the service was polite and much to attentive!! If you took a little sip of your beer / wine he would be over you right away anf fill your glass, but not in order to help, but to get things speeding up. We did not ask for the bill, but it was presentet for us the moment our plate was nearly empty, and the ambience of the place is like Rush hour in the subway. All in all, - OK food but much to busy making money! We wont come back.
- Poor Customer servicebigfoodieVIPDined on 2/27/2014We arrived for a 9pm, reservation for 2, on a Thursday evening. Service was initially indifferent. Food was ok but not as good as it used to be. Grilled octopus not as savory as it used to be but bland. Grilled chicken was dry and overlooked. Grilled shrimp bland again. So disappointing. But more disappointing was around 10:45p when the music stopped halfway through our dinner. The restaurant had cleared out a bit but other diners were still there. By 11p it was clear that the staff wanted to go home. We rushed the meal and left about 11:15p. I used to live in the neighborhood and would eat here several times a month. Never again. Refuse to be a "bother."
- Restaurant WeekFoodieDined on 2/26/2014The menu for restaurant week, was weak. The lava bean soup was bland, the octopus appetizer was nothing to write home about and the desserts were basic. The lamb chops were very good, all two of them and the grouper par almost sub. The Mousakka was probably good, but I can find that in a diner. I was disappointed, but thank goodness for the great friends that helped to make the meal. Our waiter seemed to forget about us during the night.
- A true gemFoodieVIPDined on 2/20/2014Whenever I want a great dinner in a beautiful, relaxed place, this restaurant is on the top of my list. They have the best grilled octopus in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I would go back. THe foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/20/2014I would go back. THe food and service was very, very good.Special Features:
- A Perenial FavoritemizsDined on 2/19/2014We frequently dine at Peryalli. We are greeted warmly and personally by Philippe, as well as by our waiter(generally the same one). I usually order the branzino, which is always fresh and perfectly prepared. My family(and we have recommended Peryalli to friends as well as to family)particularly like the lamb and other fish dishes; and the rabbit also suits my taste perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good place to dinegirlsluv3Dined on 2/19/2014I like the comfortable and romantic atmosphere. The lamp is strongly recommended.Special Features:
- Good food, but wouldn't rush backMelinnycDined on 2/18/2014We really liked what we ordered and the service was good, but the atmosphere was rather bland, and the music kind of killed it. Felt a little expensive for what it was, and with all the interesting restaurants in NYC, i don't know that I'd rush back...
- Always excellent food at reasonableOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/17/2014Always excellent food at reasonable price. Friendly and attentive service.Special Features:
- valentine's daykwardDined on 2/14/2014went here for valentine's day with my boyfriend and it was unsurprisingly packed. our poor waitress was very overwhelmed and apologetic, but i have to say she did a wonderful job staying calm and staying on top of everything. the appetizers were amazing (the feta, unreal), but the entrees were pretty bland. i would definitely come back and order a dinner or solely appetizers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food at Periyali!!VSDIIIVIPDined on 2/14/2014If you want great food, Periyali is a must. We started with the Keftedakia Saltsa (meatballs) appetizer, very good and generous portion (we shared). Next we had the Solomos Exohiko (salmon) and I had the trout special, both excellent and both generous portions. Last but certainly not least the desserts – a MUST HAVE here!! Moist, flavorful, out of this world good…we each got a different one and shared. Wines are very good and so is the service. Lovely restaurant and centrally located in Flatiron. Make your reservation now!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The feel and look of the placeRandomDined on 2/14/2014The feel and look of the place was good. Over all the food wasn't that great. Quality of food did not match the price. Definitely not the best with seafood.Special Features:
- Periyali NEVER DISAPPOINTSOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/11/2014Beginning with the greeting as you enter through the drinks, dinner and celebratory (birthday) dessert, the entire experience is totally professional with consistently perfectly prepared food.Special Features:
- DisappointedbklyndinerVIPDined on 2/6/2014I had not eaten at Periyali in many years. I remember enjoying it in the past. Dinner was pleasant but nothing memorable. We shared all dishes. Salad was a plebeian version of a "Greek" salad. Grilled bronzino was enjoyable but served with dull rice and steamed broccoli. In this day and age that is embarassing. The moussaka was ok. It should have been great. Just not good enough to lure us back any time soon. So disappointing!Special Features:
- I love this restaurant andGenerallyeasy2pleaseDined on 2/6/2014I love this restaurant and have for some time! the food is wonderful and the ambiance superb!Special Features:
- Lovely Greek foodvisitornycVIPDined on 1/27/2014We ordered the grilled octopus, calamari, greek salad, and the salmon in phyllo, along with a side of horta (which is swiss chard). Everything was outstanding. We shared it between us. There was plenty and we ended up taking home the leftovers. The salmon was delicious it reminded me of a spinach pie when looking at it, but then there was the surprise of the salmon on the inside. Very tasty and well seasoned. I am an grilled octopus fanatic, and this was a fabulous version. Charred and smoky, yet tender. All in all, we gave it a 2-thumbs up and plan to return.Special Features:
- Consistent excellenceOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 1/25/2014Lovely room. Attentive and knowledgable service. Great food. 3rd visit and will go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A warm and friendly placeCathVIPDined on 1/23/2014A warm and friendly place with consistently good food and nice ambience. I love the octopus. And I love being able to hear my dinner companion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Octopus HeavenBeauDined on 1/18/2014I found the atmosphere relaxing and cozy. The menu was sufficiently varied. As someone who loves grilled octopus, I cannot remember a larger and more well prepared plate of octopus served as an appetizer. From my point of view, in terms of price and quality, this place is a gem. My wife thought part of the lamb was a little tough but she is also an octopus lover.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still Going StrongBzaitaVIPDined on 1/16/2014I have been dining at Periyali for many years and returned the other night for another excellent experience. They make one of the best greek salads ever and the salmon in phyllo can't be beaten. I had the whole grilled fish, simply prepared that was light and flavorful. Our server was a delight and the ambience could not be better. Many other restaurants of the same genre have come and gone but this mainstay is here to stay. And they have the most incredible floral displays. Go!Special Features:
- Back in The big appleCupcakeDined on 1/12/2014After dining here many times when living in NYC it was my go to destination fir a special night out with my stepson and his girlfriend Everything was as I had remembered: great food and superlative service! Thank you for a memorable and delicious meal and eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Octopus appetizer is yummy!francophileVIPDined on 1/11/2014We needed a place for pre-theatre dinner before a play at the Irish Repertory and found this restaurant through internet search. Every review was spot on about the octopus appetizer. Mains didn't seem any better than an average Greek restaurant. The desserts, other than the walnut cake, were disappointing. My college rooommate's mother made much better cookies!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as I rememberedGAFNYCVIPDined on 1/9/2014Had been several years ago and remembered having a delicious meal. Unfortunately that was not the case this time around. The broiled octopus appetizer was tender and tasty. However the lamb shank entree was very gamey and tough. The desserts we shared were just average. At almost $100 a person there are much better choices.Special Features:
- Excellent Greek FoodRichard45Dined on 1/4/2014This is a fine restaurant with excellent food served in a well decorated space. The restaurant is large, but the space is divided into 3 separate rooms which creates a more intimate feeling. We had the fresh fish, which was well prepared, and expertly filleted at our request. Portion sizes were generous as we could see from all the tables around us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great NYE ExperienceKingmanVIPDined on 12/31/2013Finding a restaurant with excellent food that doesn't treat NYE as an opportunity to gouge people with high prices and no selection can be a real chore. Kudos to Periyali for treating their customers as if they actually appreciate them. We ordered 6 different appetizers which were all excellent, especially the grilled octopus. The main courses were all excellent, especially the lamb shank and grilled lamb chops. The service was excellent and we took advantage of the $30 corkage fee and were able to bring a few very good wines we were familiar. We never felt rushed or ignored, and the management was very warm and friendly as well. We intend to return again soon, and would strongly recommend others to try this restaurant as well.Special Features:
- AMAZING!! MY NEW SPECIAL PLACECorinaDined on 12/23/2013The food, the service, everything about this place with absolutely 100 percent on point! I took my husband there for his birthday Dec 23rd and I work hard to top the prrevious year which is not easy... anyway I knocked this one RIGHT OUT THE PARK!!! Romantic and Delicious!!! But most of all and I can't stress this enough, DELICIOUS! I'm a cook and the Octopus appetizer was perfect in texture and taste. Roasted Chicken and braised Lamb absolutely heavenly. Real LOVE in that food. The server even CREATED a glass of Wine just for me! My new favorite place!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.