35 W. 20th St.
New York, NY 10011Neighborhood:
Gramercy / Flatiron
GreekPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.periyali.com/
- Phone: 2124637890
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday 12:00pm-3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday 5:30pm-11:00pm, Friday & Saturday 5:30pm-11:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Greek
- Executive Chef: Jimmy Henderson
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Periyali is available for private events of all sizes and offers personally customized menus and experiences no matter what kind of event you are looking to book.
- Private Party Contact: Dimitri Kyroulis 2124637890
A word from Periyali
A cool Mediterranean retreat from the city's chaos, with fabric-swathed ceilings and pristine white furnishings. Even on a hectic night, service is calm and competent, and the professional couples at most of the tables seem to be speaking in peaceful whispers. The kitchen offers scintillating versions of hearty, refreshing Greek favorites. Souvlaki is charcoal-grilled and up scaled with filet mignon to produce an impressively tender, succulent result. Wine-marinated octopus legs are also charcoal-grilled, resulting in astounding flavor and not a hint of rubberness. Classics like garlicky skordalia, fava beans, sauteed chicken livers over lentils, and spanakopita are all best-of-breed versions, the latter prepared as a platter of bite-sized pies. A sizeable portion of moussaka, consisting of layers of juicy ground lamb and eggplant, tied together by a superlative béchamel. For dessert, the array of delicate pastries and the deeply creamy rice pudding are excellent without exception.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreek
Periyali - Best Restaurants in Gramercy / Flatiron ›
Periyali reviews from OpenTable diners
133 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (81)fit for foodies (62)romantic (52)special occasion (50)good for groups (29)great for lunch (25)notable wine list (14)late-night find (7)great for outdoor dining (7)great for brunch (5)hot spot (4)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- Food is excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/1/2014Had the striped bass and the octupus apetizer which were both delicious. My out of town guest was very impressed by the quality of the food as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week LunchfreqdinerVIPDined on 7/30/2014We had a great lunch here during NY's restaurant week and the food was delicious. The octopus salad was excellent and a very generous portion and the grilled fish was perfectly cooked, moist and delicious. The restaurant is very attractive with a lovely enclosed garden room in the back and the service was excellent. I would highly recommend this restaurant for good solid food and lovely atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As good as greek getsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/29/2014Neighborhood classic. Greek seafood served with elegance make it a first choice for locals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- consistently goodRobertVIPDined on 7/28/2014I have had dinner at Periyali many times. The food and service are consistently good and the prices are very reasonable. I highly recommend it!Special Features:
- Wonderful and Fairly pricedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/24/2014Wonderful fresh seafood and traditional Greek menu options. Everything we ordered was very good. Service was excellent and got us to the theatre on time. An excellent choice for a family or friends that will no break the bank.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- restaurant week menu....MargaretVIPDined on 7/22/2014I am discovering that Restaurant Week is not really a bargain. the food at the nearby tables looked gorgeous. The Fava soup was great. but the rest... mediocre... I understand that there must be some concessions for the price, but this is the second restaurant where the food itself was a disappointment.Special Features:
- Yamas!FoodieForeverVIPDined on 7/21/2014Went during restaurant week and loved it so much I had to make another reservation. The fish was fresh, the dessert was scrumptious and the service was outstanding. A true gem.
- A trip to Greece but cheapermidtownVIPDined on 7/19/2014By NYC standards Periyali is an old timer. Grilled octopus is a winner, as are many of the "mezzes". Fish dishes are reliably good. Wine list is o.k., not spectacular.Special Features:
- EdinaDocDined on 7/17/2014Great service and wonderful fish preparation(briefly grilled, then baked with olive oil and lemon)for both striipped bass and branzino. Wouldy definitely return.Special Features:
- Perfectelbat4Dined on 7/14/2014Relaxing, friendly and professional staff. Great food and service. This was our first visit - will not be our last. So many choices in the area, but this stands out! Must try'Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a pleasureHollyDined on 7/14/2014Periyali consistently delivers great food at reasonable prices with excellent service. Walking in there on a hot summer day, we were immediately enveloped by cool, calm and white. There is no pretention here, just wonderful food in a peaceful setting, almost like coming off the beach into the local taverna on a small Greek island.Special Features:
- WeDineOut2muchDined on 7/12/2014We went to Periyali on a recommendation of a friend and we were not disappointed. This neighborhood restaurant is set down below the sidewalk which allows for privacy from the street. The windows were open creating a relaxed vibe. The predominately white decor mirrors that of Santorini with just enough lighting to create a romantic atmosphere. The grilled octopus and calamari apps are amazing! The food was served quickly and the wait staff was seasoned and very knowledgeable. For dinner, the bronzino and the stripped bass were equally delicious. The fish was fresh and cooked perfectly. Everything from the serene ambiance, to the fresh food, and the attentive service made this dinning experience a memorable one.Special Features:
- Reliable and always a pleasureJeffDined on 7/12/2014We have been to Periyali AT LEAST 50 times. Always an enjoyable experience. Never had a mediocre meal. Never disappointed. Great classic Greek cuisine with very friendly wait staff. Tip: Get the octopus and Greek salad.Special Features:
- dinnerdebbieDined on 7/11/2014Our experience was wonderful and the food was outstanding. The only minor glitch was that our waiter handed us the check before offering or serving dessert. Nothing major but the restaurant wasn't crowded so it was odd that this happened. He was gracious about it & gave an us and extra dessert. Overall I give the restaurant very high marks & I plan to go again soon.Special Features:
- One of my favoritesLJoy4165Dined on 7/8/2014Periyali is always perfect. Wonderful ambiance, very attentive service, and really great food. The grilled octopus starter is for SURE the best grilled octopus in the city. Every fish is really fresh, whatever the "of the day is"... get it. Don't be shy to try Greek wines just because you may be unfamiliar with them, let your server recommend one to you. Periyali has a sophisticated selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best baklava!OJPJVIPDined on 7/3/2014We recently went to Periyali because we wanted to introduce it to some friends from out of town. As always, the food was delicious, and the service attentive and informative. Our friends were equally thrilled to taste the grilled fish and baklava we had raved about. No one was disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dependable perfection--or closeSylviaDined on 6/28/2014I selected this restaurant for my birthday dinner, having had previous birthday dinners here, and it completely lived up to my expectations. The only dish that disappointed was the somewhat tough greens (dandelions?) that accompanied the fish dishes that the other 3 people in my party ordered. Everything else was cooked as requested, was beautifully presented and served, and was in just-right portions. Greek cuisine is a favorite, and this is the real deal. The recommended wines were well paired with each of our meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 1039 reviews are from the Periyali reviews archive.
- FoodieVIPDined on 6/24/2014Have been coming here for over 25 years. Need I say more? FANTASTIC!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely delicious...paulinanycVIPDined on 6/24/2014Periyali is, hands down, my favorite neighborhood stop for Greek food. I'm surrounded by some pretty impressive restaurants in the flatiron but I really find myself drawn to the fresh fare here. The food is better than the service (sometimes a little slow) but the staff is extremely friendly and accommodating. Highly recommend! The grilled octopus is a 'must have'. Definitely a neighborhood gem and without a doubt worth traveling to dine here.Special Features:
- A very good place for lunchpickydinerDined on 6/24/2014I have been to Periyali a number of times for business lunches and they never fail me. The place is lovely, the tables are well spaced, the service and attentive, but they leave you alone to talk. The food has a range of offerings for the light eater and the person wanting something substantial. The wine selection if brief, but sufficient. don't miss the octopus, even if you never liked octopus, and the smoked trout was flavorful and served with a fresh salad. Both of us were on diets (again) so we skipped dessert, but I have had several of their desserts and they were all very good. In short, Periyali is just about the perfect place to have lunch, whether it is for business, pleasure and even a bit of romance.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 6/20/2014Truly excellent. Professional service, great food.Special Features:
- Best GreekKevinPDined on 6/18/2014The best greek restaurant I have been to in NY. The octopus appetizer was awesome and the lamb chops were the best I have had in a long, long time. This is definitely a restaurant to visit if you like authentic greek food.Special Features:
- A little disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/17/2014Although our table was exactly as requested (round), several members of my party found bones in the filet branzino & the waiter's response was really not satisfactory("only in one part").Special Features:
- Excellent Greek Food - Every timeNYCfoodLoveDined on 6/17/2014This is one of my favorite Greek restaurants in NYC - every time I go it's excellent. And I'm Greek, so I have high standards! The octopus is some of the best I've ever had, and their fish is always cooked to perfection. The atmosphere is also great, with a light, airy interior that makes you feel as if you're on one of the Greek islands. Service is always excellent too - attentive, and they never rush you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Experience at PeriyaliOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/16/2014I had not visited the restaurant for some time and was absolutely delighted with what I found. The décor was lovely, the service attentive and welcoming and the food perfect. I have recommended it to several friends and will continue to do so as well as plan for a future visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/14/2014Disappointing. We had heard such great things about it, but the service was minimal, the food nothing special.
- Peaceful and calm, elegantLuv2eatVIPDined on 6/14/2014I would happily go here with both trendy New York guests and out of towners. The food is delicious and the atmosphere is friendly. Good service and pretty floral decor. Had been around for ages and never gets old.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently outstandingFoodieVIPDined on 6/13/2014If you're looking for an excellent meal where you can have a civil conversation without having to scream across the table, this is your place. The price fix menu is a great deal. Even though everything is outstanding, my favorite dish is the salmon in filo dough.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Refined Greek at its bestRelaxRPDined on 6/12/2014This ain't your corner Greek clone. Periyali is consistently near the top of all refined Greek restaurants in NYC. Inventive and unusual specials. They do great things with vegetables for the "difficult" guest in your party. ; )Special Features:
- Still a FavoriteJerryDined on 6/10/2014My wife and I have been coming to Periyali for years. We've not been disappointed yet! The only Greek restaurant we have ever liked as much was your sister restaurant in Great Neck. Alas, it closed a long time ago. For anyone going to a show at the nearby Metropolitan Room, it's a perfect location for either before or after the show. That Periyali opens at 5:00 PM, while the Met seats at 6:30 to 7:00 is just about ideal.Special Features:
- HungryDined on 6/7/2014The food was wonderfully tasty, and the service was attentive. The low noise-level allowed me to enjoy the company and the delicious cuisine in a comfortable and relaxing setting. It was a truly enjoyable evening, and I'd love to return soon.Special Features:
- Avoid this restaurantfoodieVIPDined on 6/6/2014Avoid this restaurant!! I used to come frequently to this place since I live close by but it has lost its charm and manners. The service is terrible (the waitress brought the wrong wine, spilled beverages and was generally unknowledgeable of the menu). The manager is rude and called me difficult when I said I couldn't have the farmed fish (I'm only eating wild fish for the time being as advised by my doctor due to a medical condition). The food is ok but don't compromise on quality by coming here. You will regret it!
- Best Greek Restaurant in Manhattandca1125VIPDined on 6/1/2014We've been clients for as long as I can remember....20+ years.......and love Periyali. It's always the same and it's always a pleasure to return. The room is lovely, guests upscale, service terrific and we love the food. Start with beans and other Greek dishes and share..........we suggest going as a party of 4 or 6. We always seem to have kebobs or lamb shops for our main course and prefer them "rare". Enjoy
- excellent greek foodSande1Dined on 5/31/2014The food was excellent. Service spotty. Noise level before 7 pm was quiet, once restaurant filled up so did noise level.Special Features:
- Great Greek food in NYCMTCCVIPDined on 5/31/2014Periyali continues to be consistently phenomenal when it comes to food and service. We both had black sea bass as entrees that were extraordinary in taste and freshness. Coupled with the octopus appetizer and a stuffed tomato, rice pudding and orange cake, we loved our entire meal. They also have some wonderful Greek wines.Special Features:
- NicknameVIPDined on 5/30/2014Periyali has been around for decades, and its food and service never disappoint. Once an expensive indulgence, the prices at Periyali haven't risen as fast as tabs at other restaurants, so that now the cost of dinner there is moderate. Best of all, its Greek cuisine and caring service are still at the top of their game.
- Maybe understaffed?PhotobugDined on 5/29/2014We have dined at this restaurant a number of times and found the food and service to be excellent. Granted we dined on the early side (6:30 or so). This past Thursday we made a 7:30 reservation and the restaurant was quite crowded. I was amazed at how poor the service was. It was a good 20 minutes after we finished our first course before the main course arrived. We were contemplating dessert, but, based on the time it took for the previous course to arrive we decided to abandon desert. The check, I might add, was handled quickly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EfergDined on 5/24/2014The service was an impeccable and the food was very good too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood GemNyponyVIPDined on 5/19/2014No matter when I have a meal at this restaurant I come away saying I need to eat here more often. The food is delicious -- always fresh and healthy. The staff is friendly and the setting is warm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still Great After All These YearsTedHDined on 5/16/2014An old-reliable that has kept up its standards over the years.