5362 College Avenue
Oakland, CA 94618Neighborhood:
ChinesePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.restaurantchu.com/
- Phone: 5106018818
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Happy Hour: Daily: 4:00pm - 7:00pm; Dinner: Daily: 4:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Asian, Chinese
- Executive Chef: Philip Chu
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Please inquire with host.
A word from Restaurant Chu
Restaurant Chu offers quality, fresh ingredients with strong Asian flavors. We "re-create" the best of Chinese cuisine in an innovative and satisfying mode.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Restaurant Chu reviews from OpenTable diners
9 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (5)great for lunch (3)Show More
- Nice Chinese place with amchillsVIPDined on 1/30/2011Nice Chinese place with a bit more flair & creativity than the usual Cantonese fare. Reasonable prices, friendly if somewhat inattentive service.Special Features:
- We went for lunch this timehelloVIPDined on 1/21/2011We went for lunch this time and all is great. spring rolls and potstickers are amazing. great flavors; browned so nicely--never soggy and gross!! THE LAMB is to die for think it was called Xian Jiang. um YUMMY. not heavy great flavors. first shrimp on the menu was yummy too. all good. great tea selection. service is great. not any more expensive than anything else on the block. go go go.Special Features:
- A cut above the typical ChineseroyalforkDined on 1/8/2011A cut above the typical Chinese restaurant. Reviewed the menu online, so had certain expectations. Was not disappointed.Special Features:
- Our dishes were wonderful.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/25/2010Our dishes were wonderful. I appreciated the decor and I thought that Chu felt like a much more expensive restaurant than it is. However, the kitchen was extraordinarily slow, taking 45 minutes for dishes to come out. This marred what otherwise would have been a great dining experience. I will try it again, though.Special Features:
- This was the third time thisOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/22/2010This was the third time this month that I had dinner at Chu. The first 2 experiences were very good, this last not so much. We were seated next to a raucous group of people and then ignored for more than 20 minutes. We moved ourselves to a quieter table and continued to be ignored. The food was extremely uneven. The hot and sour soup was great as always. The steak salad was good but all of the other tapas were mediocre at best. The 3 different bao we had were awful. So, it will be awhile before I go to Chu again.
- Food was great! We had a groupOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 12/22/2010Food was great! We had a group of 8 and we sampled a lot of different dishes. We went during happy hour around 5 - servers were a little slow in getting our orders and food took a while to come out. But worth the wait if you are not in a hurry.Special Features:
- Delicious food, nice ambiance,OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/15/2010Delicious food, nice ambiance, reasonably priced. Especially nice is the "happy hour" with very good drinks at low prices and excellent tapas.Special Features:
- all of the food was excellent.helloVIPDined on 12/11/2010all of the food was excellent. we got fried shrimp from their tapas menu--great flavor and tasty sauces; smoked duck bao--delicious not a big bun, more like a taco bun very very tasty; crab and corn soup--awesome; spring rolls--crispy and delicious; lamb was the best dish--and it was fabulous; green beans--so flavorabl; the only clinker was a chicken dish--cannot remember the name but floured and spicy and crispy--pieces too big for me but one eh in a land of many--go go go!!!Special Features:
- I've been to Chu several times,AlwayshungryVIPDined on 11/19/2010I've been to Chu several times, always at off-hours, when it's not crowded. Everything has been lovely. The food is good and the portions (of the full-meal soups, at least) are enormous. This time I got two more lunches out of my leftovers, and I am not a small-portion eater. I had the seafood soup with noodles and it was deliciously spicy and loaded with fresh shellfish (mussels, shrimp) and other fish. Service was efficient and professional -- not at all intrusive. It was easy to carry on a conversation, but I would think that with all the hard surfaces, when the room is full listening might be much more of a challenge. Prices were quite reasonable, too. I'll be back!Special Features:
- The food items that indicatedOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 10/10/2010The food items that indicated that they were spicy were actually a bit bland. I would have preferred them a bit spicier but the server never inquired of the degree of "hotness.
- Exciring venue, atmospheremuameans2havefunVIPDined on 9/5/2010Exciring venue, atmosphere was modern and very well appointed. Food was excellent and well presented.Special Features:
- Great for a late lunch --AlwayshungryVIPDined on 8/17/2010Great for a late lunch -- not crowded, and I never felt rushed. My spicy seafood with noodles was delicious and ample enough for another meal the next day.Special Features:
- Fabulous Asian food. Not yourKateVIPDined on 8/15/2010Fabulous Asian food. Not your neighborhood Chinese restaurant. Great service. Beautiful space. Did I say fabulous food?Special Features:
- I'd agree with most otherJoshSFVIPDined on 7/2/2010I'd agree with most other posts. Food is very very good. Unusual high end Chinese I'm a stunning SF type modern setting. Service was very unpolished and unsophisticated although server was friendly. This place needs a new manager but not in the kitchen.Special Features:
- the food is delicious andOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/26/2010the food is delicious and it's a nice place for a big group ( we got a table on a sat night pretty last minute)--the drinks are good too.Special Features:
- EXCELLENT!! The food is fantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/27/2010EXCELLENT!! The food is fantastic - nice menu selection & as was mentioned before in a review there should be way more people dining here & their prices are reasonable.Special Features:
- Marvelous food, lovely atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/7/2010Marvelous food, lovely atmosphere and service. Eating here is a treat.Special Features:
- This is the second time IOaklandRRVIPDined on 5/4/2010This is the second time I have dined and Chu's and most likely won't go back, except perhaps to try the Happy Hour. The food, while quite good, is served with almost distain by the servers. We had to wave our server down many times, even though the restaurant was not crowded. Five of us split a variety of appetizers and when we got the check a service charge of 18% had been charged. I guess we should have just had a seat in the bar and if I go back, I will do so. The staff at Chu's does not seem the least bit interested in its patrons..too bad since the food is delicious. We had spinach dumplings, shrimp dumplings, minced chicken in lettuce cups and a salmon/onion pancake which everyone loved.
- Food was very tasty. TheydinealotVIPDined on 5/1/2010Food was very tasty. They have a Happy Hour until 7:00 which features $5 cocktails and wine. Had a decent Tanquerey martini and their house red is very drinkable. Other acceptably priced wines choices are available. Portions are generous and well seasoned. Ordered a lamb dish which was tender, potstickers were crispy and yummy, and a fish dish came with 2 large filets was also delicious. All dishes are well garnished. Service is very attentive. Glad to have this restaurant in the neighborhood.Special Features:
- We love the food at Chu andnygirl3Dined on 4/17/2010We love the food at Chu and we know they have been working on improving their service. The only complaint from this last visit is that the servers rushed to take every empty dish off the table so quickly that we felt so rushed during our meal like they wanted our table quickly (when the place had many empty tables). Our preference is that servers wait to remove dishes from the table until all persons in the party are finished eating.
- Rib eye had good flavor butOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 4/16/2010Rib eye had good flavor but a bit fatty. Snapper was excellent.Special Features:
- lunch not as special as dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/16/2010lunch not as special as dinner a couple of weeks agoSpecial Features:
- Beautiful interior, friendlyDawnVIPDined on 3/29/2010Beautiful interior, friendly waitstaff, good, freshly prepared food. Place was empty on a Monday night. Hopefully business will pick up. Would go back again
- Flavorful and inventive ChineseOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 3/20/2010Flavorful and inventive Chinese cuisine in a very sleek, modern setting. Better than PF Chang's with prices to match. Great deal on appetizers and cocktails before 7pm everyday. The Chinese in-laws really liked it!
- Good food, nice menu, greatOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/6/2010Good food, nice menu, great mojitos - Sounds like a great place? Yes, however, the service was absolutely horrendous and slow. With the wealth of Chinese food in the Bay Area there are plenty of places to go that serve just as good of food and also understand the importance of service. I have no patience for that and unfortunately, we will not return.
- This brand new restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 2/14/2010This brand new restaurant combines a modern stylish interior with upscale versions of traditional Chinese cuisine to create a fresh dining experience. The hot and sour soup was divine; green beans with garlic sauce were good enough to make you want to return just for that dish, and the rice flour-coated scallops were just wonderful. This sibling to Kirin on Solano Avenue in Berkeley is well worth a try. Don't let the drab exterior fool you. Chu is a wonderful addition to the College Avenue dining scene.
- The service was incrediblyOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/13/2010The service was incredibly disappointing-- not one of the four people working seemed to know, or even care, what was going on. We were also placed at a very undesirable table, despite the fact that there were other options. I had been excited to try Chu, but it is very unlikely that I will return after this experience. It's too bad because the food is good and it could have been a great place.
- I loved this restaurant! ItElaineDined on 2/13/2010I loved this restaurant! It is very attractive looking, and the food is exceptional. I will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Restaurant Chu has nice ambienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/5/2010Restaurant Chu has nice ambience and good service, but the food was just average. It was nice to go during Happy Hour so that our food and drinks were discounted, but it reminded me of PF Changs. When you go to a Chinese restaurant and there are no asians there, you should worry because that is a sign of how good the food is at the restaurant.
- Food was great and ambianceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 1/31/2010Food was great and ambiance is beautiful and trendy.
- It is good but not great.OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 1/30/2010It is good but not great. Was weird. Sometimes attentive service sometimes nothing. Food very good to just ok. i'll go back but probably just for the happy hour
- After living in Oakland forReginaSolisVIPDined on 1/29/2010After living in Oakland for 5 years and trying to find an Asian restaurant that measures up to some of San Francisco's, we've finally found it! Both the traditional dishes we tried and the ones we tried for the first time were delicious! The service was attentive and accommodating, the atmosphere more upscale than most Asian restaurants we've experienced. We will definitely go back and have already recommended Chu to some of our friends.Special Features:
- the service was absolutelyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/22/2010the service was absolutely terrible. the waiter rarely acknowledged us and only when we struggled to get his attention. the food was only mediocre, more on the salty side. the kirin short ribs was good though.Special Features:
- Chinese restaurants are usuallyCaptainVIPDined on 1/17/2010Chinese restaurants are usually great food and no atmpsphere or great atmosphere and terrible food. Chu has outstanding imaginative cuisine with excellent ambiance. Service was also excellent.Special Features:
- Wow! We were all impressedOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 1/8/2010Wow! We were all impressed (party of 4 for business lunch). Food totally rocks. Think PF Chang's on steroids. Asian fusion?Special Features:
- This is the third ventureLisaDined on 1/3/2010This is the third venture by the family that owns Kirin on Solano and Chen Hua on College at Ashby. Its FABULOUS. Seriously. It takes chinese food to a new level. Not "fancy" chinese food. Just amazing. Familiar dishes as well as new things to try. The ingredients are fresh, the flavors are brilliant. If you like asian food you MUST try this.Special Features:
- Our first time. We went onOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 12/25/2009Our first time. We went on Christmas Day. Thank goodness they were open for business. We enjoyed our meal very much. We would go back for sure.Special Features:
- We had a Christmas dinnerPaigeVIPDined on 12/25/2009We had a Christmas dinner at Chu, on the early side, with kids. After getting a better table (we were initially shown to a too-small table under the stairs next to the kitchen in a completely empty restaurant), we were really pleased with the level of service and the quality of the food. The calamari was phenomenal - not a hint of grease and tender calamari with a fantastic spicy sauce on the side. Great dry sauteed green beans, short ribs with an unexpected and delish salad on the side, the option of brown rice as well as white and fried...all told, we loved it. While we did take kids, I don't think it would be kid-friendly on a regular day...it has a hip and cool in the interior, and on a regular night I'm sure the beautiful bar is full.Special Features:
- Atmosphere great. Food average.AllaboutthesauceDined on 12/2/2009Atmosphere great. Food average. Overpriced. Service not good.
- MSG?, everything was veryFoodsterVIPDined on 11/13/2009MSG?, everything was very good until about 15 minutes after we left, both of us had that MSG hangover? Their menu does not state using MSG or not.