5362 College Avenue
Oakland, CA 94618Neighborhood:
ChinesePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.restaurantchu.com/
- Phone: 5106018818
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Happy Hour: Daily: 4:00pm - 7:00pm; Dinner: Daily: 4:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Asian, Chinese
- Executive Chef: Philip Chu
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Please inquire with host.
A word from Restaurant Chu
Restaurant Chu offers quality, fresh ingredients with strong Asian flavors. We "re-create" the best of Chinese cuisine in an innovative and satisfying mode.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Restaurant Chu reviews from OpenTable diners
7 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (4)great for lunch (3)Show More
- The food and drinks are quiteOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/21/2012The food and drinks are quite good, but it was so quiet and empty, the place had a sad vibe to it. Not a fun, energetic atmosphere. It's too bad more people don't frequent this place.
- The tightest spot!!! I love it!!!djincogDined on 6/29/2012Why this place isnt packed all of the time is way beyond me!!! This place is incredible!! I absolutely love it!! Everything from the music to the staff is off the meter!!Special Features:
- I was looking forward to diningMSF2Dined on 6/29/2012I was looking forward to dining chinese since I find most chinese food in the east bay very underwhelming. Chu was no different. The food was very salty and 3 of the 4 dishes we ordered were made with the same salty soy sauce base. There was no vegetables at all in their fried rice. The calamari was OK but served in a deep bowl that collected all the oil underneath the squid. Chu will have to change chefs in order to last longer on College.
- Nice restaurantNupeSugarRayVIPDined on 6/23/2012Nice restaurant in a pretty good location. Food was similar to a PF Chang style menu, but a smaller more intimate environment.Special Features:
- Excellent Chinese restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 6/9/2012Excellent Chinese restaurant that deserves better patronage. Street parking is an issue.Special Features:
- My wife and I enjoyed diningOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/1/2012My wife and I enjoyed dining at Chu. We were not aware that using Open Table made intelligible for Happy Hour benefits.Special Features:
- After reading other reviewsOaklandMagsVIPDined on 5/30/2012After reading other reviews and ratings I was eager to try the restaurant - the appetizers were excellent but the rest of the meal was extremely disappointing. There was little to no flavor despite dishes being heavily sauced, and there was virtually no taste in dishes that were marked as spicy. Perhaps it was an off day given what I have read from other reviewers, but I won't be back to try again...
- I looooove this spot...handsdjincogDined on 5/18/2012I looooove this spot...hands down my best find ever!!!! Even my girl thinks so...Special Features:
- Best Chinese food in the EastCaptainVIPDined on 5/5/2012Best Chinese food in the East Bay especially when one considers the atmosphere - nice dining experienceSpecial Features:
- Nice barman, good drinks.OmnivoreDined on 5/1/2012Nice barman, good drinks. My expectations for the food might have been too high. Thought it was good, but not "destination" quality. We had pork and crab dumplings, hunan steamed fish, snap peas and corn mushrooms. Might we willing to back again and try other items. Would go for happy hour if I were in the neighborhood.
- This spot was incredible!!!djincogDined on 4/27/2012This spot was incredible!!! The music was killer, the food was stellar and the waiters/waitresses were off the meter!! I am coming back!!Special Features:
- We had a reservation but waitedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/30/2012We had a reservation but waited 15 minutes for so-so food. The waitstaff was nice, but didn't make up for the mediocre food.
- Delicious food, absolutelyBonnieDined on 3/22/2012Delicious food, absolutely great service, edgy decor, very reasonably priced and quiet enough to converse easily with dinner companions - I highly recommend it.Special Features:
- I took my family there toOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 3/17/2012I took my family there to celebrate my wife's birthday. We had a large party (nine) including two small children. Chu has an upstairs dining area where our very long table was set up. It proved to be excellent for the little ones and provided the perfect environment for a great family meal. The food is awesome, the staff attentive, and the price reasonable. This is a spot I HIGHLY recommend! - MichaelSpecial Features:
- We enjoyed the food and theOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2012We enjoyed the food and the dining experience very much. We will be recommending this place to our friends.Special Features:
- New age AsianOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 2/14/2012This a spot that takes traditional Chinesse and turns it on its ear. Very eclectic mix of flavor, textures, and visuals. A nice spot to meet a few friends but also very appropriate for a nice meal with that special someone. I would most certainly recommend Chu to anyone! I was very happy with the menu and drink selection. I am a former bartender/waiter and am very picky about my drinks. I was pleased and Chu was a 10+ in my book.Special Features:
- The food was fabulous,great4RomeoDined on 2/11/2012The food was fabulous,great chinese but with a twist, not your typical. I would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Chu's food is amazing andOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/4/2012Chu's food is amazing and service excellent. I had the best Ma Pa Tofu ever at Chu's the other day. The only thing I would ask for is a little bit warmer temperature in the restaurant in the winter.Special Features:
- Not busy for Chinese New Year.LAFoodieDcSfRtpChicago2Dined on 1/23/2012Not busy for Chinese New Year. Clearly a local place.Special Features:
- Overall, we had a good experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 1/20/2012Overall, we had a good experience at Chu. The service was good to very good. We really liked the ambiance. The food, however, was a bit inconsistent. Some meets were a bit tough. Some foods were delicious. Nothing was bad, but generally it ranged from great to just okay. For the price, I would have hoped for all the food to be great.
- Some of the best Chinese foodOpenTable Diner Since 2000Dined on 1/14/2012Some of the best Chinese food we've had! The spinach and mushroom dumplings in particular were amazing. Service was friendly and well paced.Special Features:
- Great happy hour: $5 cocktailsOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/31/2011Great happy hour: $5 cocktails and half-price appetizers. The menu is extensive without being overwhelming. Chu is a great place to take friends who are a bit shy about authentic Chinese food. The waitstaff is friendly, the atmosphere is casually elegant, and the food is of good quality. Try a mixture of delicate dishes like the dumpling soup or the shaoxing prawns and spicier dishes like twice-cooked pork or Manchurian beef. The pork belly was a great value - impressive portion size and presentation. Yes, I would go back.Special Features:
- The decor was modern, cleanOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/31/2011The decor was modern, clean and inviting. Food presentation was fun and easy to share. There is a large selection of dishes to choose from. Staff was friendly.Special Features:
- We like the ambiance, styleBoxermanDined on 12/11/2011We like the ambiance, style and service very much. The menu is interesting, has some unusual items, and is diverse. Plenty for vegetarians. We also like the cocktails (selection and quality) and happy hour is excellent. The food is not absolutely top notch "foodie heaven," but it's definitely on the list for regular visits.
- Food is good and fresh andcublubberVIPDined on 12/1/2011Food is good and fresh and generous portions. We ordered too much. However, what Chu considers spicy is not spicy at all. Nice space.Special Features:
- The food is very good at Chu's,SandyDined on 11/26/2011The food is very good at Chu's, but I have to rate them a little lower for how expensive it is. I know that it is probably because of the neighborhood, but it's difficult for me to pay $15-$20 for an entree in a Chinese Restaurant. Still, I would come back went I felt like a splurge.
- Small plates were yummy.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/15/2011Small plates were yummy. My guest and I shared 4, and there was plenty for a main course.
- Great food although the restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/5/2011Great food although the restaurant was really cold (it was a rainy night in the bay area and it didn't seem like they had the heat on)!
- This was our 2nd dinner atOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2011This was our 2nd dinner at Chu. The first was lovely; the food was delicious and the service excellent. The prices were on the high side, but we felt the overall experience worthwhile. We returned recently and had a completely different experience. The food was definitely not up to par with our first dinner, and the service was abysmal. This time we did resent the high priced menu. We will not return to Chu.
- I didn't expect such wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/15/2011I didn't expect such wonderful dishes. The China Fun was fabulous.Special Features:
- It was a Tuesday lunch. ItJoKoDined on 9/6/2011It was a Tuesday lunch. It was quiet but I'm sure they have a lively night bar scene.Special Features:
- Food was unique and delicious.SUMMERDined on 9/3/2011Food was unique and delicious. Service was fantastic.Special Features:
- I had a business lunch meetingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/30/2011I had a business lunch meeting and was pleasantly surprised by the ease to find parking...the food was good and portions plentiful. The wait staff was always nearby and kept our water glasses full. I will surely return again...Special Features:
- The decor is great and we'reMsFoodieVIPDined on 8/19/2011The decor is great and we're so happy to have an upscale Chinese restaurant in the neighborhood. The Happy Hour appetizers and drinks are a great bargain. Our experience (our 6th meal there) this time at Chu was wonderful. We only have one concern with Chu and that is about consistency of preparation. On one occasion every item was so over-salted you couldn't taste the basic ingredients and the veggies were overcooked, and on another the calamari was greasy. Those same dishes have been fabulous on other occasions, so maybe we just got a night when there was a substitute chef?Special Features:
- Best Chinese I've Had in Long TimeOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/30/2011The restaurant was deserted when we arrived at 8PM, which made me really nervous. My worries were unfounded. The food was delicious, the service was very good, and it was quiet enough that we could have a nice conversation. We LOVED the ceviche and prawns with five spices. The space is very elegant--black, white, and silver. They also have a very good selection of wines by the glass at reasonable prices.
- Everything was good aboutOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/27/2011Everything was good about it, but the food could have been flavored better/more. It was a bit bland. The garlic eggplant especially was bland. The greenbeans were ok, but could have used more flavor, and the ma po tofu wasn't bad. I'm also vegetarian, so perhaps the meat was good.Special Features:
- Food very disappointing, soOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 5/7/2011Food very disappointing, so much so that we left a large part uneaten, and refused the offer of a doggy bag. Crabmeat wontons were actually more like tacos, and straight out of the refrigerator; buns for the smoked tea duck were tough; shrimp in a shrimp dish were mushy. The sauce on a lamb shank was too spicy, obliterating the taste of lamb. You may pass this on to the restaurant if you like.
- Awesome restaurant, we wereOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/5/2011Awesome restaurant, we were treated like VIP's. Interior design beautiful, the service was so professional, friendly, fast, and the food was beautifully presented and with complex flavors. We had 21 dishes, our favorites were short ribs,lamb,prawns & pea pods,the most delish sweet & sour pork, spring rolls, crab & corn soup,sizzling rice soup, dumplings,chow fun,the medley of exotic mushrooms & broccoli. All the food perfectly cooked. Definitely will be back.Special Features:
- Really enjoyed this fusion-styleOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/4/2011Really enjoyed this fusion-style Chinese food. Having eaten various styles of Chinese food all my life, Chu's dishes have unique and varied flavors. Had a group of six and all liked it. Their happy hour drinks are a great deal. They have very good appetizers (Duck Bao Bun were great!). You can eat tapas-syle with drinks or a full dinner. We did both and had a great meal. Use more of the expensive ingredients in their hot and sour soup. This is a unique, upscale Chinese restaurant with many styles of Chinese food. The decor was tasteful, modern Asian, and worked well with the style food being served. We were there early when it was quiet, but it gets pretty loud when the restaurant is full. We'll definitely go back!Special Features:
- I like the dumpling soup,OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 1/31/2011I like the dumpling soup, the dumplings were very flavorful and soup was perfect for the winter night after waiting outside for 40 minutes for my party to arrive. The fried rice with beef looked good, but I didn't really like the after taste of anise, but that's just my personal preference, I thought it would have more of a kick to it. Otherwise I would recommend this place. Too bad it's not located in San Francisco as I usually boycott Oakland businesses due to the parking enforcement and the crime, but this time I made an exception as I was accomodating my friend. Try the happy hour menu, it looks pretty good.Special Features: