The Modern - Dining Room
9 W. 53rd Street
New York, NY 10019Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
The Modern - Dining Room
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.themodernnyc.com/
- Phone: 212-333-1220x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday–Friday, 12:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.
Dinner: Monday – Saturday, 5:00 p.m. – 10:30 p.m.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Abram Bissell
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: Private dining at The Modern consists of one magnificent room which overlooks The Museum’s Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Sculpture Garden through floor to ceiling windows. The space can accommodate up to 64 guests for sit down functions and up to 80 guests for receptions.
- Private Party Contact: Special Events 212-408-6611x
A word from The Modern - Dining Room
The Dining Room at The Modern occupies a stunning space overlooking MoMA’s Sculpture Garden. Dinner options include a six-course tasting menu or a $108 four-course prix fixe menu with diverse options for each course. Meanwhile, lunch offers a $76 four-course or a $66 three-course menu. The restaurant boasts an award-winning wine program, as well as a carefully curated list of cocktails, beer, and spirits. The Modern’s Dining Room accepts reservations 28 days in advance. The restaurant also includes the vibrant and lively Bar Room (reservations encouraged), a beautiful terrace overlooking the MoMA Sculpture Garden, and a bar & lounge area to welcome guests on a walk-in basis.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
The Modern - Dining Room - Best Restaurants in Midtown West ›
The Modern - Dining Room reviews from OpenTable diners
216 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (168)special occasion (161)scenic view (103)romantic (96)notable wine list (93)great for lunch (55)vibrant bar scene (49)hot spot (34)neighborhood gem (26)good for groups (21)great for brunch (12)late-night find (6)great for outdoor dining (5)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Good timeLucyDined on 7/16/2014Just simple, fresh and tasty food, great presentation ... Service was very professional but also friendly and helpful. We had good time...should have just one drink... gets expensive !!!!Special Features:
- VivbigDined on 7/16/2014The restaurant is awesome, great food. We we t before visiting the Moma museum, which makes the visit to the museum alot more special.Special Features:
- billchinVIPDined on 7/14/2014food was very good but only a tasting menu was offered. food was very slow coming out of the kitchen and this was a Monday night.Special Features:
- The Art of Dining PerfectedOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/12/2014The combination of atmosphere, creative cuisine, delicious drinks and perfect service come together to provide you with a very special dining experience. Outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall Fantastic ExperienceKellyDined on 7/12/2014We were three people. Two had the four course meal and one the tasting all with pairings. We often had three different wines, but it always felt graceful and comfortable. The service was professional and talented but also warm and fun. We became acquainted with several servers and felt like regulars. Each course was adequate in size and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey but classy NY eleganceNitroVIPDined on 7/12/2014Perhaps the Bar adjacent to the formal dining room at the Modern offers far better value for tasting and people watching, but the loveliness of the main dining room as a special spot from which to contemplate the sculptures in the MOMA garden whilst sipping wildly overpriced spirits cannot be unappreciated. The servers are solemn and respectful, and did get us out for theater as promised with time to spare. Their pleasantness in such a setting was quite welcome and the chocolate cart at the end a fantastic touch. One of our appetizers had only a tiny piece of lobster with peaches and did not work, but the scallop and beef entrees made up for this. Desserts were more satisfying . But especially nice was the ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentDinnerfanVIPDined on 7/11/2014The best meal I had in New York. Amazing service too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SUPERB DININGMOEHVIPDined on 7/11/2014This restaurant gives innovative and superb food, the price fixe menu is well balanced or choices.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/9/2014Excellent food and service perfect size servings highly recommendSpecial Features:
- Professional Hospitality and FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/8/2014No one does it better than the Union Square Hospitality Group from the moment you confirm your reservation, through seating, menu presentation and suggestions, the fabulous wine selection and of course the food. It is elegant without being stuffy. The staff wants to be there and knows how to serve without being intrusive. The best of the best in a wonderful setting. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbSy45Dined on 7/7/2014Excellent in every respect. The price of wine was unusually high.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 2469 reviews are from the The Modern - Dining Room reviews archive.
- Excellent restaurantfrancisco2prVIPDined on 7/1/2014Everything was excellent, including the appetizer foie gras tart, the mustard glazed lamb, and the pistachio stuffed chicken. All was outstanding. Highly recommended.
- Fantasticrichw90Dined on 6/30/2014The food was fantastic, the service was impeccable and the bar area is absolutely stunning!!! No complaints here, I defeinitely recommend!Special Features:
- Happy dinerNRFoodieDined on 6/30/2014Fabulous food, fabulous service, fabulous experience as always.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Excellent ChoiceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/28/2014My wife and I went to The Modern for our 7th Anniversary. In my reservation, I noted this, and asked that if anything could be accommodated to make it an extra special evening, please would they. The Modern certainly delivered. They made the whole evening feel special from end to end. Our waiter was Jim, who was absolutely perfect. He was a really nice guy, not pretentious or snooty in any way shape or form. Overall the service was excellent, non-intrusive, and polite. The food was truly an experience (a positive one), very original, but still recognizable. We enjoyed port and chocolates in the MoMA courtyard to finish off the evening, which was amazing. Thanks so much for making our dinner so fantastic!Special Features:
- Our Favorite Restaurant in New YorkBeteraVIPDined on 6/26/2014We love The Modern. We gushed so much the wait and managerial staff must have thought we never get out of the house. Not so. We'd had so many poor meals lately, it was a special treat to be in such wonderful hands. We have never been disappointed at The Modern. How can you beat outstanding food (the cod melted in my mouth, the chicken with pistachios was just the right serving size-- rich and delicious, the crabmeat appetizer divine), superb service (understated yet attentive, professional and friendly) in beautifully designed surroundings with meticulously chosen tableware, while gazing at Degas, Picasso and Moore. It is beyond perfect. We look forward to our next visit.Special Features:
- wonderful placelarryVIPDined on 6/26/2014great food----small portions for lunch- decent price ($62) for 4 courses- quiet dining room overlooking the sculpture garden-Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not a first class dining experiencesaraVIPDined on 6/25/2014Spectacular location but the service is not--rushed, ungracious & inattentive. Very good food was oversalted even for me (and I oversalt!) The dining room is too much like a noisy bistro.
- Interesting food. Nice ambienceanonymousDined on 6/24/2014I have been to The Modern numerous times. It is a good spot for a light business lunch. The space is open and attractive and I never have trouble getting a reservation. The service is attentive and timely but not intrusive. The food is delicious and interesting but as my lunch guest noted, a bit "weird". The menu in the dining room is prix fixe and rather limited. You should not go there if you are very hungry but you will not have a bad meal there.Special Features:
- Great food, sophisticated settingBusinessDinerDined on 6/23/2014Another great meal at the Modern. Excellent service and delicious food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensive but worth itCadx2Dined on 6/21/2014We celebrated a special birthday here and were pleased we chose the modern. Welcoming and professional service that was attentive without being in your personal space too much. The food was superb. We had one small incident on timing of courses but this was proficiently dealt with. We were overall really impressed and the setting is modern- but not to the extent it becomes stark or uncomfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectionNYaccroDined on 6/21/2014Beautiful dishes, sophisticated, well-thought through combinations. Some yin yan effects borrowed from Asia. Expensive wine list with not many US wines. The sommelier recommended an inexpensive NY wine which was a perfect fit with the food we had closen. Well done ! Very professional reception and waiter staff, with good sense of humor. The entire experience was pure perfection. The day before we had cocktails at the bar: friendly staff and great cocktails.Special Features:
- CE49VIPDined on 6/20/2014This is definitely a WOW! Great food, the service is top-rated. Beautiful experience over and over again. On one of our trips, we cancelled another famous restaurant just to return after our visit. Definitely to add to the list of GREATS in New York City dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Bar not the dining roomOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/20/2014The suggestion I did not see above is before theater. This is a great spot, I always love seeing the flower arrangements and the menu is fantastic. You can get a variety of things, share or not and enjoy unusual tastes and presentations. I always leave very satisfied but never with that uncomfortable stuffed feel. Everyone I have ever taken here has enjoyed it. I have not done the dining room, but love the bar so much, i do not think I ever will.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food delicious - service slowOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/19/2014The food is terrific and innovative. The view is lovely. The Modern is best enjoyed at a leisurely pace. If you are in a hurry, this is not the place to eat.Special Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/18/2014Everything was excellent...including the staff being very aware of our show time and had us out at the appropriate time. Food was perfect and staff explained each course to us. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- TASTEBUDSDined on 6/17/2014I strongly recommend this restaurant to anyone wanting fine dining in New York City. My friend and I had a memorable lunch at The Modern, with pleasant, relaxing atmosphere, excellent food, and good service. The food was arguably the best I've ever had. Having a window table with a view was the icing on the cake! The menu was innovative, the waiters courteous and helpful, and the kitchen accommodating. The room acoustics enabled conversation, a very important issue for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always top-notch!TonyinthecityDined on 6/17/2014We've taken clients here for lunch once a year for several years now. It's a wonderful space, with a view of the sculpture garden. Always amazing. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Overall superbJamesinNYCDined on 6/14/2014Interesting, creative, and delicious menu, service is both highly professional and genuinely warm, and the space is beautiful.Special Features:
- I don't like pre fixe menus.MiddleageddinerDined on 6/13/2014Cons: Very expensive. Tiny portions. Over salted. Pluses: Good service. Lovely elegant space.Special Features:
- YummyDined on 6/13/2014Went for our 50th wedding anniversary. Everything was beautiful. Food was excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JudiDined on 6/12/2014We had a lovely lunch. Food was excellent, service good and a great way to celebrate our anniversary .Special Features:
- NbUnhappyDined on 6/11/2014Poor choice of reasonably priced wines. Wines generally far too expensive. Wonderful food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was just okOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/7/2014Took my boyfriend for his Birthday to The Modern for dinner. You should only go there if you would like to enjoy food. If you would like to enjoy the whole fine dining experience I would not recommend this place. I felt rushed, and honestly did not know who our waiter was, they kept switching. Felt rushed as well. The service was decent though. Would not go back.
- A truly great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/6/2014It was a Pre-theater dinner, reservation at 5:30pm. My wife arrived shortly before 6pm. The staff were very friendly and accommodative. The food was fabulous. I have never enjoyed asparagus and peas as much as I did that night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- an anniversary to rememberOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/5/2014It was our 20th wedding anniversary -- and it seemed everyone knew and made special accommodation for us. The hostess"remembered" me from my call and wished us Happy Anniversary. The woman who seated us said they wanted to provide champagne gratis for our celebration. The manager (?) Adam came over to chat, talk about family, and suggest we take our dessert outside on the veranda because it was a perfect NYC evening -- and then added two additional . And the food was magnificent -- subtle, nuanced, original without being pretentious. Even the gluten-free bread for my wife was an edible revelation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- There has been a changeOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/4/2014This restaurant used to be our go to place when we get to NYC. We always go for our first night after flying in. It has been our stop for recent birthdays and anniversaries. It just isn't the same. I miss the wait staff coming around with rolls. I missed the chocolate cart going by while we ate so that we could hardly wait for the lovely end to the meal. My husband's beef was cold and we had to send it back. No spoonful of sorbet as a palate cleanser. The box of "chocolates" I was given to take home included 3 cakes with some kind of chocolate center. Blah tasting and I threw them away. I asked and was told there is a new chef. I think it is more than that. It appears to be a change of attitude. We will not be back.Special Features:
- SuperbDavidSDined on 6/4/2014A absolutely wonderful memorable lunch. One of the nicest times I have had for lunch in NYC. The view was beautiful. Every bite was a delicious adventure. The service was impeccable. Everything was perfect.Special Features:
- A Lovely ExperiencetryingnewplacesDined on 6/3/2014For being a mid-town business appropriate restaurant, the food was much more thoughtful and interesting than many of these types of restaurants. Our waiter was casual, but very professional, knowledgeable and friendly. He made us feel as if we were the only table he served that night. We would definitely recommend it.Special Features:
- Great lunch!Tablefor2Dined on 6/3/2014I wanted a romantic dining experience lunch and i received. A table for 2 seated on the same side with view of the gardens and water. Peaceful view. Delicious food. Great selection. Pricey but worth it.Special Features: