31 Allegheny Avenue
Towson, MD 21204Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.cafetroia.com/
- Phone: 4103370133x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm;
Dinner: Monday - Friday: 4:00pm - close; Sat & Sun: 5:00pm - close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Italian
- Executive Chef: Chef George Batlas
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: We have 3 separate private dining rooms holding up to 25, 40 and 65 each. Two rooms have private outdoor accommodations for additional space; one has a covered veranda and the other has a partially covered Courtyard and garden area, making it the perfect spot for a wedding, rehearsal dinner or other special occasion. All dining rooms have a Tuscan ambiance. Business events are well attended as guests are excited about dining at Cafe Troia. We have extensive experience working with pharmaceuticals & brokerages for client dinners. We will design a menu to meet your tastes & specifications.
- Private Party Facilities: Our Enoteca dining room can accommodate up to 25 guests for a private seated event. Our Terrazza dining room can host up to 55 guests for a seated dinner and has french doors looking out to a beautiful walled-in garden. The fireplace in this room is a lovely enhancement to both the decor and the atmosphere.
The restaurant's main dining room can accommodate up to 65 guests seated and has a large deck which overlooks the private garden. The entire restaurant is available for private functions as well.
- Private Party Contact: Carol 410-337-0133x
- Special Events: Periodic Wine Dinners are offered which feature either a region of Italy or a guest wine maker. We create a menu to compliment the wine served at each course. This is a great value and learning opportunity for our guests. Reservations are required as seating is limited and the chef must have an idea of attendance in order to custom prepare the evening's special menu.
A word from Cafe Troia
Cafe Troia was established in 1986 by the Troia family, natives of Naples, Italy. When you dine with us, rest assured that you are eating foods that meet a higher standard than the USDA - ours. We have been doing "Farm to Table" for 28 years. Our natural veal is fed a diet with no artificial hormones or antibiotics. It is humanely raised. These same standards apply to our other meats: chicken, beef, lamb and rabbit. When possible, we purchase local produce to endure its freshness. All this is nothing new, this is the way we have operated for 28 years which is why we have such a loyal following.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Cafe Troia - Best Restaurants in Towson ›
Cafe Troia reviews from OpenTable diners
56 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (33)fit for foodies (25)special occasion (23)romantic (20)great for outdoor dining (16)notable wine list (15)good for groups (10)great for lunch (7)late-night find (3)great for brunch (3)hot spot (3)vibrant bar scene (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Romantic and fun for a dateOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/26/2013While the cafe is located inside an office building, this is not obvious once you're inside. The décor is lovely and tables are not bunched together so there is plenty of room for private conversation. The wine list is both extensive and expensive and has great descriptors for each wine. We ordered a lower end bottle at $36 and it was not great but good. I'm simply not willing to pay more than that for a bottle of wine when dining out. Our chosen appetizer was grilled eggplant. It was prepared unlike any we'd had before, paper thinly sliced and doused in olive oil. Somewhat odd. I ordered the fish special (blue fish) and it was delicious. My husband ordered veal and enjoyed it. We'd give it another try and make other selections.Special Features:
- Great ItalianKPBaltDined on 10/11/2013Perfect for that Friday or Saturday evening when a good glass of wine and pasta or pollo Olivia is calling.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehbibawasbestDined on 10/3/2013This place came highly recommended but it was not a great experience. Weirdest tasting caesar salad we ever had. Lamb chops were well-seasoned but underdone, while the green beans they sat on were boiled to mush. Companions' pastas were ok but portions way too huge. Not much flavor. Server was loud and not nearly as clever as he thought he was.Special Features:
- Decent ItalianAndrewGDined on 9/28/2013We were in town for the weekend and wanted a local dinner spot in Towson. Cafe Troia came recommended. Food was decent, not great, but none of the six of us had a bad meal.....so that's pretty good.
- Great eveningReenie43Dined on 9/21/2013Our meal was delicious and the waiter, Walter, was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maybe a bad night?OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/7/2013We have been to cafe troia several times and had very good dining experiences, however, this trip was a disappointment. I'm not sure if we caught them on a bad night, or if changes have occurred and are targeting a different demographic.
- Ruined by noisy staffOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/7/2013The food here is good, but somewhat overpriced, given that you don't get a salad or side with most dishes. What really ruined this trip for us was that the waiters would gather at their station frequently. They seemed to be watching some videos on a cellphone and would burst out in very loud laughter frequently. It was very inappropriate, disturbing to the diners, and certainly not behavior you would expect from a restaurant that tries to be more upscale. Very disapppointing.
- Good night outNewtoBaltoDined on 9/6/2013Cafe Troia has a relaxing but romantic atmosphere. Not too loud. Good service. Menu offers lots of choices. My pasta was excellent. Dessert, tiramisu, was delicious. Only complaints - Bread was a bit dry and Caesar salad didn't taste like it had much dressing (although it was much better than Caesars that you can get elsewhere that are drowning in creamy stuff).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cafe Troia is always lovelyOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/6/2013That says it all! Cafe Troia has been a favorite of my family almost since it opened. Lovely people, great service and delicious food! Check out the deck for outdoor dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were warmly welcomed byOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/5/2013We were warmly welcomed by a kind hostess who seated us immediately. The service was friendly and attentive. The food was outstanding, especially the orchiette al salsiccia. We did not eat outside, the the deck seating area looked very appealing. This was my second time there this summer and I'll be back again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- treat yourself soonBabsDined on 9/4/2013This Was A Memorable Experience! The GreetinG Was Pleasant. THe Wait Staff Was Experienced And Described The Specials Well. Timing Was Perfect. Highest Recommendation. Delightful Setting. Lighting Was Perfect. Quiet So That We Could Have Private ConversatioN. Ambience And NIse Level Were Fine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/24/2013Great food, good atmosphere. Pleasant evening all around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Restaurant Week Specials!audreVIPDined on 8/22/2013What a treat to have roasted peach appetizer or zucchini/mozerella/procsciutto skewers, beautifully prepared rockfish or succulent pork chop with delicious fruit salsa and a coconut flan for dessert. The service was attentive and the ambience delightful. A great restaurant for Towson.Special Features:
- Consistently GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/16/2013Out of town guests in for the evening. Where to take them without going downtown? Cafe Troia's. Always reliable. A place where the service matches the food and where the staff treats you like family -- a true neighborhood gem.Special Features:
- Always a great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/14/2013Food and service are always great at this lovely restaurant in the heart of Towson. Restaurant Week menu no exception.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as expectedskeezixVIPDined on 8/13/2013We've been to Cafe Troia a few times in he past and loved it. I looked forward to trying their new location for restaurant week. My husband and I went for lunch. I chose the duck breast with warm sweet potato salad and apple peach chutney. I really struggled to cut the breast meat because of the ribbons of fat that went through the meat. I know that duck is a fatty meat, so I wasn't surprised about that. But my husband laughed at me as he watched me "saw" through the fat with a regular table knife. The favors weren't impressive either. Caesar salad & gelato with espresso were good. My husband ordered a chicken sandwich & didn't eat it. He said it was salty and was surprised the bread wasn't better.
- What a Find!QuitaVIPDined on 8/9/2013Cafe Troia has been delighting residents of Towson for decades, and it has maintained its excellent quality. In the process it has survived a move to larger quarters, but many of the staff has stayed with them. Its friendly and warm service adds to the excellent food.Special Features:
- They have made a fabulousBenSVIPDined on 8/8/2013They have made a fabulous pasta with clams for many years and it only gets better over time.
- Usually this is a quiet restaurant,figliaDined on 7/26/2013Usually this is a quiet restaurant, but we were there when a big group swooped in--a wedding, I think.
- Atmospheric lunch spot in TowsonGlencliffeVIPDined on 7/24/2013A pleasant place to have an Italian lunch in Towson. Park in the pay lot next door and enjoy a comfortable if not outstanding food experience.
- For me, the place to go in TowsonPaulDined on 7/23/2013The cuisine was uniformly excellent, and so was the service. Food and drink arrived promptly, and waiter was as good as I've encountered anywhere in a while: knowledgeable, businesslike, and attentive without being intrusive. I still harbor nostalgia for the old Troia venue across the street, which was more intimate, but the current space is perfectly pleasant. It's nice to see a wine list with some bottles under $30. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ShockedCoopDined on 7/20/2013Waiter was very loud all u could hear was his distrubing extremely loud voice and laughter as if u were in his home and he was having a Super Bowl party. We were shocked and very upset. We never experienced anything like this in a fine restaurant before.
- Fantastic!wineauxrunnerDined on 7/19/2013This was my first visit and I simply loved everything about this restaurant. The service was absolutely beyond compare and themenu items made it nearly impossible to narrow the choice down to one. It was the best Italian food I've had since I left Italy. This restaurant is a must!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We went to Cafe Troia forOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/28/2013We went to Cafe Troia for our second anniversary and we were so excited. Unfortunately, this may have been one of my most disappointing dining experiences in some time. Bar - The bar ruined our experience, the bar tenders were rude and it took over 10 minutes to get a drink even though the bar was empty. My wife's drink had the wrong vodka and was easily the worst drink we have ever ordered. The bill was 26 for two drinks and I regret not complaining. Food and Service - Our waiter was great, he was courteous and professional. We thought the food was okay; however, when your bill is close to $200 you expect to be wowed. Unless things change, we will not be recommending Cafe Troia to our friends.
- NoisyweeklydinersDined on 6/28/2013I made my reservation requesting a quiet table. The first five minutes were quiet, and then the noise from the bar began. very loud talking and laughing. My wife ordered her steak medium well and it arrived medium rare. Sent it back and arrived the second time still the same. Sent it back again and it came back well done and tough. All this time they left my food on the table and when able to eat, mine was cold. The price we paid for this meal was over 100.00 before tip, and was not worth it. Will never return. The only positive thing was the dessert, tasty but again over priced. I don't mind a high price as long as the quality is there.Special Features:
- Great for a Business LunchFoster720VIPDined on 6/24/2013Met a client here for a business lunch and it was perfect. Great food, quiet, good service and easy parking. Who could ask for anything more!Special Features:
- 32nd Anniversary DinnerTonyDined on 6/19/2013This is one of our favorite dining spots for special dinners as it is pricier than surrounding eateries. That said, it is worth the extra. Their menu selection will let you sample a broad spectrum of Italian dishes and we wish we could try every one. My wife is of Italian heritage and she claims its as close to what her grandmom made as she's ever experienced. I'd say the food is even better than before they relocated from across the street. One note that applies to any Towson eatery, finding parking can be problem. Baltimore County gouges 24/7 at the parking meters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerLuv2eatoutDined on 6/7/2013Our group enjoyed dinner. Portions were generous, but It would have been nice to have some type of pasta included with dinner. There were only a few green beans with the veal entrees. I thought prices were a little inflated, especially the wine list.Special Features:
- Really enjoyed the dinner.OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/2/2013Really enjoyed the dinner. Bottles of wine are half price on Sunday and parking is free on the lot on Sunday too.
- Our first visit....from theOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/1/2013Our first visit....from the minute we walked through the front door , our entire dining experience was superb. We were greeted very nicely, seated in the best seat ever - love half round booths & our waiter was most knowledgable & pleasant. He made our dining experience the perfect evening as he was so passionate about his restaurant & all that was served, from the cocktails, to the appetizers, wine, entree & dessert. We were celebrating our sons 21st birthday & our celebration could not have been nicer. From Justin to Justin...thank you much! Can't wait to return to try other delectibles.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently Good butGfbyrneDined on 5/31/2013Always have a fine dining experience at Cafe Troia - but one of the waiters really need to learn how to speak in softer tones - it's nice to see someone energized but he is really really really LOUD.Special Features:
- The crab cakes and aruglaOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/25/2013The crab cakes and arugla salads were excellent, great way to celebrate our 45th wedding anniversary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always A Good ChoiceSuzeVIPDined on 5/24/2013We love Cafe Troia. If we're in the mood to dine with friends or just grab something casual in the bar, it's always a 'go to' place for my family.Special Features:
- Excellent crab cakes, veryOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/23/2013Excellent crab cakes, very nice service. Good for a group/special occasion.Special Features:
- Always a great experience!PenitaVIPDined on 5/18/2013Café Troia is a favorite for my husband, myself and many friends and relatives. The food is superb, and staff is very professional and super friendly. Stefan is a great waiter. The Bronzino, risotto, and fettucine Bolognase are among our favorites, but everything is excellent. We frequently have musicians come to stay with us, and Café Troia is a must! They love the crab cakes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice night in TowsonEnjoyAgoodmealDined on 5/17/2013My wife and I enjoyed our evening at cafe troia. Food was very good, service very good and we really enjoyed the home made limoncello!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Towson gem for any special occasionSusieQ1812VIPDined on 5/16/2013Upscale Towson restaurants are few and far between, but Cafe Troia was the perfect spot to celebrate my 60th birthday. Friendly and superb service, wonderful atmosphere on their back deck and, of course, delicious food. Yes, it's pricey, but well worth it for any special occasion. We split their Piatto Misto appetizer, then ordered the Gamberi in Guazetto, which was out of this world; large shrimp sauteed with a fabulous roasted garlic, lemon, white wine cream sauce served on delicious parmigiano toast or linguine. I had enough for dinner the next day. They have a nice cozy bar and serve lunch during the week. I want to come back for lunch and sit on the deck for another spectacular meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality cuisineTheDowagerVIPDined on 5/4/2013I usually test an Italian restaurant by ordering spaghetti Bolognese. Cafe Troia passed that test with no difficulty. Delicious dish, served with attention and courtesy. Extensive wine list and lovely list of desserts. It all made for a very pleasant evening. As others have said, most entrees are priced comparatively high, but so is the quality of the cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and wine once again.timmDined on 4/20/2013Great food and wine once again. My party of 7 was seated immediately at the reservation time (7:15 on a Saturday night).Special Features:
- Service was a bit low at theEmersonVIPDined on 4/6/2013Service was a bit low at the beginning, but got better.