275 Moody St
Waltham, MA 02453Neighborhood:
BarbecuePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bisoncounty.com/
- Phone: 7816429720
- Hours of Operation:
Thursday: 11:30am - 12:00am, Friday & Saturday: 11:30am - late, Sunday: 11:30am - 11:00pm; Dinner only: Monday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southwest, Southern, Barbecue
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Bison County
Bison County combines the best of what Texas, South Carolina, and the Southwest have to offer. For over 14 years we've been serving critically acclaimed hardwood smoked barbecue and grilled meats. We have an eclectic and diverse menu that has something for everyone. We've won "Best of Boston" by Boston Magazine. We've been a 5 time guest on the Phantom Gourmet and won "Gourmet Greatness" and "Great 8 Best in New England" by the Phantom Gourmet. We've also been featured twice on the TV show Chronicle. In addition to our Barbecue and grilled meats we have items like New Orleans 4Pepper Pasta, Blackened Salmon, Southern Fried Catfish, California Style soft Tacos, and grilled fire shrimp. Our bar features over 50 different beers, 15 Single Malt Scotches, 15 Single Barrel Bourbons, 20 Vodka varieties, and 3 50" HD TVs for all your sporting needs.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bison County reviews from OpenTable diners
29 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (12)kid-friendly (10)good for groups (10)great for lunch (7)vibrant bar scene (7)fit for foodies (3)hot spot (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- We had heard the food wasOnthetownDined on 8/3/2012We had heard the food was good and interesting, and it turned out that was true. However, it was not a really positive dining experience overall. We were seated near the grill and the fan was incredibly loud. We could barely hear one another! It took forever for one of the drinks as they were pulling up a new keg but it was not delivered until the dinner was nearly gone (even tho we had appetizers first). We had to remind the waitress several times to check.
- We have been to Bison CountyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/3/2012We have been to Bison County many times and will continue to return. They have a great beer list and you can't beat their ribs and pulled pork!Special Features:
- Definitely order the ribsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/30/2012Definitely order the ribs and pulled pork. We have been to this restaurant a lot and those two dishes outshine all the others.Special Features:
- Bison County is an old favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/28/2012Bison County is an old favorite of mine from a decade ago, when I lived in the area. When I needed a place in my old stamping grounds to set up a gathering of friends who still live in the area, I was delighted to find that it still exists - and delighted again on arriving to find that it hasn't changed a bit. The staff handled my large party with aplomb, seated the first of us to arrive immediately even though we were 20 minutes early, and even found us some extra space when more people turned up than I'd reserved for. The food was excellent as ever, and we all came away pleased with an evening well spent.Special Features:
- Wonderful barbecue in downtownFirsttimerVIPDined on 6/27/2012Wonderful barbecue in downtown Waltham. We eat here regularly. Good food and service. A fun place to be.Special Features:
- Barbecue and beer for Father'sOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/16/2012Barbecue and beer for Father's Day--what a great idea...No matter what, good smoked meat that you don't have to slave over is a treat. Good wings, ribs and beans; pulled meats were OK. Good beer selection. We sat in the bar away from the open grill, but could see the cooking going on--nice touch. Pacing of the meal was too fast, but the service was really pleasant and correct.Special Features:
- SUB-PAR!!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/10/2012NONE of the above apply. Sad but true. The waiter, wo was also the bartender, was a good guy but they were totally understaffed so there was a 10-15 minute wait for our 1st round of drinks, and there were not that many people in there, the food was medium in every respect, at best, and the wine selection was dismal. Undrinkable wines, in fact, for anyone with a palate at all. It was a bust, and foolish us thought the reviews might be accurate...
- Seniors with college student,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/3/2012Seniors with college student, all liked the meals and service. Price was right also.
- Looking for a different tasteUTfanVIPDined on 5/18/2012Looking for a different taste from the Boston seafood and standard fare -Bison County would be it. We frequently travel from our home in BBQ land and were surprised to find a solid and tasty rendition up north. Big beer menu and solid bar compliment this distinct place. Prices were also uncharacteristic of Boston- we felt as if we got a good deal.Special Features:
- One of our favorite restaurants.FirsttimerVIPDined on 5/14/2012One of our favorite restaurants. Great barbecue and side dishes. Attentive wait staff. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- The food was pretty good,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/12/2012The food was pretty good, although I was expecting "fall off the bone" deliciousness from my BBQ ribs. They were good, not great. One waitress took our drink order, and after waiting for quite a while, a different person brought three of the drinks, and a third person brought my daughter's diet coke. Then our original waitress brought another diet coke not knowing one was already delivered. Our table by the window was good, but close to the bar stools. In fact, a very heavy set guy bashed into our table while trying to sit at the bar. Luckily, our drinks hadn't yet arrived. If they had, we'd have been wearing them.
- This was a great BBQ and Bar.Gr8foodVIPDined on 5/11/2012This was a great BBQ and Bar. The food was delicious with great price. It was a great time by everyone in our party.
- I am a huge BBQ fan and aJohnVIPDined on 5/10/2012I am a huge BBQ fan and a back yard griller / smoking owning several grills and smokers. I would not consider this award winning BBQ but, it was good.
- Food good, service lacking.ChrisDined on 5/6/2012Meat is good all around. Good BBQ. Service was severely lacking though, reallllllly slow (like 25 minutes slow) to take our orders. I finished my water within 3 minutes, and it sat there empty until the end of the meal (when it was finally refilled again). The food came relatively quick after ordering though. Definitely a bar/pub scene (which is ok if that's what you're looking for). It was trivia night when we were there, so it was a bit hard to talk over the announcer. But sometimes I enjoy trivia, so wouldn't be bad for a night out. Just don't expect a quiet dinner.Special Features:
- Great DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 4/29/2012I thought the food was very good. Great BBQ. The servers and bartender worked very hard. There were no uniforms so it was hard to tell who worked there. Also, it got very busy and it took a long time to process my bill. Attention to detail lacked i.e. I was served food without silverware as well as the table next to me. The table next to me sent back the potatoes because they were cold. I would recommend the restaurant and I will return.
- Great food and service. BestFirsttimerVIPDined on 4/23/2012Great food and service. Best barbecue in the area. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Hungry family from SalemOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/22/2012We took my son for his birthday. We had never been before, but he had, and wanted us to have the fun experience he had there when he went with his friends. The food was great and the staff was super!! We will be returning to Bison County!!Special Features:
- The portions were huge. FoodMaryAnnDined on 4/21/2012The portions were huge. Food good. True Texas style. Suggest getting BBQ sauce or sauce sides, foods blackened but needs some flavor. Bison tips were tasty. Casual eats - it was good.Special Features:
- No compliants, just average BBQ.PerfectDined on 4/21/2012We had picky eaters in our group, so we needed a place that had 'steak and potatoes', so Bison County was recommended (by someone in our group). Nothing was really bad about the food or restaurant, but I can honestly say I have had way better BBQ at other restaurants, with better atmosphere. It isn't exactly close to home, yet if I was closer, I wouldn't really say that I'd go back on a regular basis. The server was friendly and knowledgeable.
- I tried the Buffalo Burger.OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 4/17/2012I tried the Buffalo Burger. I wanted something new. It was cooked very well and I really loved it. It's a great place for a casual night and a get together with friends.Special Features:
- This was our first time toOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/14/2012This was our first time to Bison County; we looked forward to the trip to try several bison dishes as a lower fat substitute for beef. Overall, a positive experience and a good value. The food was good; we will come back. Unfortunately, we were disappointed to learn that there were so few bison options on the menu. Even though the Denver bison steak was listed on the menu and on the website, it was not actually available per our server. Instead, got the Steak, bison and Turkey tips, which was very good but seemed like a smaller portion than advertised (plus I did not get as many bison tips as my girlfriend). Hopefully, the store manager will read this and talk to the kitchen
- Great Beer List and Good BBQ.BelmontCoupleDined on 3/30/2012Great Beer List and Good BBQ. Nice casual dining in Waltham.
- The food was great as always.cars0153VIPDined on 3/29/2012The food was great as always. The service was terrible. I had to ask for things at least 2 to 3 times and it took forever.Special Features:
- Food came immediately. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 3/24/2012Food came immediately. The ribs were reheated, though good taste. Dry. No kids menu the waitress said they usually do chicken tenders with fries for the kids.turners were dry.we paid 13.50 for that kids menu Fries and mashed potatoes are goodSpecial Features:
- The brisket tasted like theOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 3/10/2012The brisket tasted like the ribs, that tasted like the pork and the BBQ chix. The BBQ chix was black not BBQ. I really feel cheated as a night out.
- This was my first time atOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/9/2012This was my first time at Bison County, My family had a great time and the food was excellent. I will be going back.Special Features:
- Not especially impressed.HenriDined on 3/9/2012Not especially impressed. This was my first trip to Bison County, and although the food (I had the bison tips) was quite good, it certainly didn't justify the lunchtime price of around $15-$17 for an entree. It's probably 30-40% overpriced, in my opinion. Plus, my co-diners and I were disappointed that there was no coffee available - no hot drinks served at all, we were told. But we thought all cowboys had coffee!Special Features:
- The food is always fantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/3/2012The food is always fantastic for me, however my date tried to order the bison steak and the restaruant was out of it. Which is a little tough to excuse seeing how it is named "Bison County." However he seemed happy with the steak. Finally, we sat in the back of the restauarant near the grill and it was very smokey, sometimes smelled like burning, and it give me a bit of a headache.Special Features:
- This is a sports bar withOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/25/2012This is a sports bar with aspirations to BBQ restaurant. The problem is that the food is terrible. Everything that I tried around the table was horribly salty and greasy. The onion rings and the fries were soggy and tasted of old oil. The service was very poor having to go chase the server countless times to order, or get water, or another glass of wine. I cannot recommend this restaurant for any event that includes food.
- great foor served fast andtpajgkVIPDined on 2/25/2012great foor served fast and quality. Staff is on the ball and attentive.Special Features:
- Bring a big appetite!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/23/2012The food is definitely very delicious. Anything with Bison is a must-eat. I tried the pulled pork thanksgiving burrito and it AMAZING. It was also the size of a small baby, so bring your appetite. Great draft beers too! Sam Adams Brick Red!Special Features:
- We went there because theOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/18/2012We went there because the restaurant was featured on Phantom Gourmet, we love it. The food was very good and the portion was phenomenal (we took food home). We drove 45 minutes to Bison County and we do not regret it one bit.Special Features:
- Went here during a businessOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/13/2012Went here during a business trip in Waltham. The staff here were pleasant and the fried dill pickle appetizer was very good. I had the pulled chicken and pulled pork combo as my entre which was pretty disappointing. It was dry and rather bland. Skip this one if you're looking for anything more than a some drinks and appetizers.
- Underwhelmed, but good.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/11/2012I had not been to this restaurant in 10 years because I moved away and I was really hoping for a great BBQ meal but I found myself underwhelmed. I had the mixed grill which included Bison, Steak Tips and Turkey Tips. They all tasted good but were slightly dry. My wife had a 1/2 rack of ribs and they were very dry. She had to ask for more BBQ sauce to give it some flavor. Also, the cornbread was slightly dry. On a positive note, the restaurant has a great beer list and the service was excellent!Special Features:
- The chicken wings are theOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/5/2012The chicken wings are the best BBQ we've found up here. After growing up in the South (Alabama) and living in OK and TX, it's been very difficult finding good BBQ. The wings at Bison County have us coming back for more, and the cornbread is delicious! We also like the baked beans. The pulled pork sandwich wasn't up to par, but that's been very hard to find up here. We haven't tried anything else on the menu - we're stuck on the wings!Special Features:
- Bison County is an excellentRygyDined on 1/31/2012Bison County is an excellent restaurant. The food is always top-notch and it has a fun atmosphere.Special Features:
- Great BBQOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/7/2012Enoyed the food very much, outstanding service from the staff. Answered all our menu questions as this was pur first visit at the restaurant. It will not be our last! Our group ordered a variety of meals and each one of them was outstanding. The ribs were the most tender we have ever had. Enjoyed watching the food being grilled in the open grill area. We ate in the dining area but the bar looked like a great place to go for game day!Special Features:
- I would like to complimentOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/6/2012I would like to compliment your staff not only were they very professional but very helpful as well. I first sat at the bar waiting on some friends and forgot my reading glasses when wham your bartenders supplied me with a pair. One of my friends called me and needed directions to a Bank America and a very pleasant hostess (Caitlen?) gave me directions to pass on!! When all four of us we were seated and were met by a terrific waitress (tall pretty ?) She was very accomadating and got us drinks and let us chat without rushing us. When she took our appetite order she recomended two terrific starters (southern wings, Arizona rolls)...Great Choices!! We then asked about your rib selections and she was dead on about the southern Ribs!!******Special Features:
- don't botherOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/28/2011I made a reservation for 6 plus a baby and even called an hour before to confirm. We showed up on time, and even though thr bar was 70% empty, they made us wait ten Mins before seating us. We arrived a few mins ahead of another party (coincidentally, also 6 ppl plus a baby). Both groups were made to wait, we were seated at the same time, the group without a reservation was served first! There was never an explanation as to why we had to wait so long to be seated-- they put both parties into booths, so its not like they were pushing tables together! They were slow to take our drink order, slow to take our food order, the food took forever to come, and the restaurant was NOT even busy. Good food, terrible service!! Never going back.
- We had a great time. PerfectOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/27/2011We had a great time. Perfect table in the corner for our group of 10 and very attentive service. Food was excellent, I suggest the fried pickles. Beer menu was great, many good choices.Special Features: