105 N Market St
Frederick, MD 21701Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.firestonesrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 301-663-0330
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday: 11:00am - 3:00pm, Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
All reservations made on Open Table are for our second level dining area. If you need lower level reservations, please call the restaurant directly.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Jack Walker
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Firestone's
Firestone's Culinary Tavern, opened in 1999, is located in downtown Frederick's picturesque Historic District. It is housed in a 1921 building that was initially the home of Shipley's Department Store. The restaurant combines outstanding cuisine with the casual atmosphere of a neighborhood tavern. The Washington Post says, "the atmosphere is prime...the food is, too!".Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Firestone's - Best Restaurants in Frederick ›
Firestone's reviews from OpenTable diners
77 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (42)neighborhood gem (32)special occasion (31)great for lunch (27)vibrant bar scene (23)great for brunch (23)romantic (21)scenic view (21)notable wine list (16)hot spot (9)good for groups (9)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Good LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/24/2014Went for lunch. Just had a Chicken Spinach Salad, which was very good, so hard to judge the overall restaurant. My friend had the Pastrami sandwich, which looked awesome. Menu is very interesting; however, not very extensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 708 reviews are from the Firestone's reviews archive.
- Lunch all afternoon--not!CASSVIPDined on 6/20/2014Lunch was listed all through the afternoon so reservations were made for 3:30. Place empty,no hostess, sat at bar and had "pub grub". Why offer reservations all afternoon if you are offering such a limited menu and not the full lunch menu. This is a super restaurant with a good lunch and dinner menu but certainly not what I signed up for when making the reservations.Special Features:
- Foodies delightSophieSnowbirdDined on 6/15/2014The flavors and textures were amazing. The service was great. It was an all around exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pleasurable!rusticeleganceDined on 6/15/2014very much enjoyed the pastrami sandwich, liked the layout and décor of the establishment, and the service was great. rustic elegance!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/15/2014This was a last minute stop on our way home from Virginia..Love that Opentable App...Glad we stopped here..Had a wonderful dinner...and our server was quite attentive..Had a table on the second floor at the window..perfect place to people watch..Hubby said it was THE BEST hot pastrami sandwich he has ever had...The homemade bread, to die for...Special Features:
- Welcoming and DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/14/2014Our group of 6 was visiting from Missouri, Arkansas and Rhode Island and we were all impressed with the ambiance, the food and our delightful waitperson. While it's not inexpensive the quality of the food makes a visit to Firestone's well worthwhile.Special Features:
- Enjoyable Dining ExperiencePaulVIPDined on 6/7/2014We had dinner at Firestone's on a busy Saturday night in June. Our server was quick to greet us and did a wonderful job throughout our stay. We started with salads, including the field greens (good) and the Caesar (just okay). Our entrees were amazing. My dining companion ordered the duck, medium rare, which was flavorful and tender and far better than the same dish we tried a few weeks ago at Petit Louis in Columbia, MD. I had the seared scallops served with grits. Again, Firestone's kitchen outdid themselves, as both the scallops and grits were seasoned and cooked perfectly. The restaurant was extremely loud, but we'd been there before and knew that going in. Firestone's has remained consistently good for many years and we will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BlueiguanaVIPDined on 5/31/2014We've been to Fireatone several times and loved it. However, this time the service was exceedingly slow and the food way over-salted almost to the point of being uneatable. Probably will go back and give them one more chance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceFrederickdinerDined on 5/31/2014Firestones is good for any occasion. Bring the family or just your best friend. Go for happy hour or an anniversary dinner. Order anything on the menu it is all good. The service is outstanding as the staff is proud of their work.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/24/2014The staff was very welcoming. They gave us a great table (I had asked for a special table for our anniversary). The waiter was very friendly and attentive. The sample tastings were nice. However our meals were underwhelming. My husband's chicken was dry and the potatoes were greasy. My fish was fine but didn't have much flavor. The overall experience was a "good."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Probably would look elsewhereWhitemule70VIPDined on 5/23/2014The food was OK but not great. The place is loud. I'm guessing that there are better options in the area unless you are looking solely for a Friday afternoon happy hour scene.Special Features:
- Great EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/17/2014Great food and great service. Our server, Alice was excellent. Always a great place to dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elevating experience!buzzDined on 5/16/2014Quickly returned to this Frederick favorite for a second dinner while vacationing in Frederick last week. Fresh ingredients creatively prepared. Tuna tempura roll, big enough to share, but kept it for myself as an entree. Oysters! yes!Special Features:
- Jazz Brunch on Mother's DayRobertDined on 5/11/2014My girlfriend, her son and I had a great brunch on Mother's Day. The food and service were outstanding and the Jazz Band provided a great vibe (without being too loud). Would highly recommend Firestone's!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Mother's Day BrunchThatsPhunnyDined on 5/11/2014A few years ago, I treated my mother to Mother's Day Dinner at Firestone's, so this time, I figured I would try the brunch option, since so many of my friends have raved about it. The food was absolutely delicious, and I do wish I could remember our server's name, as she was a delight. We booked our reservation for Sunday at 11 a.m., and although we do not drink, it is important to note, that it must be after 11 a.m. on a Sunday in order to purchase alcoholic beverages.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's DayMoparJonesDined on 5/11/2014On Mother's Day, my wife, myself and our 6 month old daughter patronized Firestone's. I made reservations for 2 over a week in advance. They placed us in the most awkward place upstairs completely in the way with the baby. Meanwhile, four top tables sat empty our entire meal. The food was good.. Great eggs benedict. The server on the other hand, in my opinion was rude. I'm not sure if he simply did not have a personality or if he was simply being nasty. Other tables had very personable servers however; our luck. On top of it, when we ordered mimosas, the manner in which he demanded our ID's was rude and unnessecary in my opinion. We are working professionals, dressed as such, with a child; really? The table next to us, same age, were not.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale dining in FrederickOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/8/2014We tried to eat here on another occasion, but the wait was 2 & a half hours. We recommend highly using the open table reservation system, it works perfectly. Last night we met our daughter & her husband who live in Northern Virginia here for dinner. They were very accommodating when the kids got stuck in traffic & were late for the reservation. Dinner was special all around. Our waiter was attentive, but not overbearing. My "hanger steak" was cooked perfectly & the potatoes were great. All four entrees we sampled were good, including my husband's giant hamburger with truffle fries. For dessert we ordered the chocolate brownie with coffee ice cream. A spectacular finish to a great dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- too salty and noiseyScubaDined on 5/3/2014Waiter was excellent and the staff. Loud could not have a conversation. Food was salty. Expensive. Easy online to make reservation. Nice walk. No parking near by.Special Features:
- WonderfulDevonDined on 4/27/2014Every person working there was wonderful. Our waitress (we were her last table before she went on maternity leave) was a doll! I couldn't get over how down to earth and sweet she was. The Palate Cleansers between courses was absolutely tasty and a nice touch as well. The appetizers - GET the Tuna Tartar and the Deviled Eggs (110% recommend these). My MIL could have eaten 2 courses of them and left. Everything is basically home made and wonderful. I wish we had room for dessert.Special Features:
- Very niceGreeneyesVIPDined on 4/27/2014Visited Firestone's for the 1st time last weekend, for lunch. It was a delightful experience. Old rustic building with plenty of charm. Lots of people having a good time dining and listening to live music. Food was very good, well prepared and very nicely portioned. Wait staff was attentive. Definitely will be back, again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid choiceFrankittDined on 4/27/2014We had brunch here before a play at a nearby theatre, and it was very enjoyable. We were seated at one of the coveted spots by the window upstairs, but had no trouble hearing the live music playing downstairs. There's a very relaxed atmosphere in this restaurant. We were not rushed at all. Our server was perfect -- personable, efficient, knowledgeable about the menu, timely with everything we needed but did not hover. The food was great as well -- we tried the quiche of the day, which was a very large portion, and the stuffed french toast. The quiche was fantastic, and the french toast was decadent without being overly sweet. We will certainly return.Special Features:
- Firestones is a must...JJonesDined on 4/25/2014I keep thinking we will try another restaurant, but every time we end up at Firestones and we are never disappointed.Special Features:
- Always great!MerryEatsDined on 4/18/2014We've been to this restaurant numerous times and have never been disappointed. Highly recommend to anyone looking for a special occasion. A bit on the pricey side but well worth every penny.Special Features:
- Great Date Night spotCcyndy15Dined on 4/17/2014The restaurante was great and the food was very good as well. I was a bit disappointed only because they change the me menu daily and I had already looked at it and had my heart set on something else that wasn't on the menu. However, I was very happy with my new choices. My waitress was wonderful however, the girl that was cleaning the tables wasn't very nice. She had an attitude and wasn't very nice when I asked to be moved to the table by the window. My waitress happily said yes and the other girl said, "I guess you can move" and stomped off, she eventually ended up breaking something at another table while cleaning it. Other than her attitude everything else was perfect. I would definatley go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ideal for Business LunchAtlantaTravelerVIPDined on 4/17/2014Firestone's provides an exceptional atomsphere for business gathering - able to hold discussion. Service was outstanding as well as foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary BruncheyefeelgoodDined on 4/13/2014This was our third consecutive year celebrating our anniversary with brunch at Firestones. We left having the same discussion we had the previous two years, which was better the food or the service? Both are absolutely amazing!!! It is well worth the several hour drive. We're already looking forward to next year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome food and view!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/10/2014I was fortunate enough to have a table by the window. I love people watching and observing the dynamic change as late the early evening street croud turned from family strolls to heavy party goers. The food was awesome and the wine list was just right. If you do have an opportunity to reserve a table, make sure it's a window seat! I love this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Frederick StapleDennybVIPDined on 4/6/2014For dinning an upstairs table is what one wants. A table by the window overlooking Market Street will make the experience a rememberable one. The menu, while limited, is a delight and the food is well prepared.Special Features:
- Fun Friday Night DinnerDorieDined on 4/4/2014Firestone has a casual vibrant atmosphere with some old world charm. Great location on Market Street in downtown Frederick. We sat upstairs in the front window, so it was fun to look down on the street and watch people walk by below. Our waitress, Karen, took great care of us and gave us excellent suggestions for food choices. My husband's pastrami sandwich was to die for and I don't usually care for red meat! The pastrami is house made and served on toasted house made sourdough bread. We will return just for that!Special Features:
- Overall enjoyed the atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/22/2014Overall enjoyed the atmosphere and food. The noise level was a little high at times but acceptable. The wait staff was efficient and polite and the steaks we ordered were fantastic. Was a little pricey but what isn't nowadays.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Place!!!JordanDined on 3/21/2014My wife and I have been to Firestone's three times now and we are blown away each and every time. The service there is on spot! they have up to three people helping with each table. We both got the Hanger steak......hands down, best steak dinner I have ever had!! I can't stress enough how good this meal is. Hanger steak aka butcher's cut is, dare I say, better than filet mignon! 100% juicy, tender, melt in your mouth goodness. Cooked perfectly and the leak sauce is an awesome addition and the pickled roots offer a pleasant taste difference! Go to Firestone's!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Need another visitFoodieX2VIPDined on 3/19/2014Overall the restaurant was good, but need another visit to really decide on the overall quality. Probably try the bar area next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great AgainOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/14/2014We enjoy Firestone's every chance we get to have a night out. It is our first choice in the area for an evening of great food and great wine. The service is always friendly, punctual and adds to the overall dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent place to eat!soranoshiDined on 3/11/2014Service was spot on and the food was delicious. Everything tasted fantastic. The meat plate appetizer had amazing pate. An entree with the pork shank was so tender, it literally pretty much fell off the bone. The gnocchi was delicious as well and very flavorful. Well worth a trip back to Frederick.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bon appétit!mrbmistVIPDined on 3/9/2014We went to celebrate my wife's birthday and it was definitely a memorable experience. We didn't realize it was restaurant week when we made the reservations. As it turns out there was a special menu for the occasion which made it even more special for my wife. The Hangar steak was spot on incredible! All the way through to the Crème Brûlée. Very special indeedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Brunch spotfoodaficiondoDined on 3/9/2014We drove up from the Gaithersburg area on a Sunday afternoon and enjoyed a great meal on the 2nd floor "deck" overlooking the jazz ensemble playing in the front window. Excellent drinks and delicious food with a very attentive wait staff; we'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousYummybunsDined on 3/8/2014Food was glorious. Very impressed that they offered an amuse bouche and palette cleansing sorbet! Dietary restrictions were catered for and the waiter very aware of them, making substitutions before we had to ask. I at my first steak in 24 years...I'm so glad it was at Firestones. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous meal but...LovingGirlfriendDined on 3/8/2014I took my boyfriend here for his birthday dinner during restaurant week. The menu was diverse, which we loved! I had goat cheese gnocci with veggies and he had the roasted duck breast. Whiskey ice cream over apple cobbler for dessert! The restaurant is beautifully done with soft lighting, dark wood. The service was unobtrusive, knowledgeable. The only fault I could find was the noise level. The bar is downstairs and was quite active. The noise bounces off the metal ceiling and amplifies. It was very difficult to converse during a two hour dinner. When flirtations need to be shouted...kind of ruins the romance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If you are very patient...GustowindDined on 3/8/2014The food at Firestone is inspired, utilizes good ingredients, and is very tasty. The servers are very professional and are well choreographed in their approach, almost like the whole dinner is scripted. However, the kitchen is so slow, that dinner becomes an almost painful experience. During a three course dinner there was a 20 to 30 minute wait between each course. When the food arrives it deserves to be savored, but the wait had been so long that this was challenging. Add to this the noise from the bar below and the result is that you can find better value for your dining dollar and time in Frederick.Special Features:
- We have eaten here numerousMerryEatsDined on 3/7/2014We have eaten here numerous times and have never been disappointed. Service is always top notch. On our most recent visit, there was six of us and the restaurant was packed; even so our waiter was very attentive and friendly, we never felt rushed. Highly suggest trying their deviled eggs, totally awesome! My duck was cooked perfectly and oh-so tasty. The granola apple-cobbler was a perfect finish to a wonderful evening. Thanks Firestone for making our evening a rememberable event.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.