177 Tremont Street
Boston, MA 02111Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.teatroboston.com/
- Phone: 6177786841
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm; Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:30pm; Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm; Monday: CLOSED
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Jamie Mammano
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The restaurant is available for a complete buyout.
A word from Teatro
Teatro, located in the theater district overlooking the Boston Common, offers a modern approach to classic Italian dishes. The design of Teatro is both elegant and informal. The open kitchen and high arched mosaic ceiling gives the room a theatrical presence. Teatro offers a full bar and wine list. Full menu is available at the bar.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Teatro reviews from OpenTable diners
214 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (111)special occasion (83)neighborhood gem (80)romantic (53)good for groups (44)hot spot (41)notable wine list (30)vibrant bar scene (27)late-night find (17)great for lunch (7)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Pleasant SurpriseBobbyDined on 7/3/2014Had a really nice dinner at Teatro before a show at the Opera House which is just around the block. The resturaunt is a single room that looks almost like an old terminal with decorative high cove ceiling. Menu choices were limited - only a couple of specials, but Teatro had a nice feature allowing you to select smaller portion size at half the price so you can enjoy a couple of different meal choices. We happily took advantage of that option. The appetizers were delicious - especially the mussels which were shelled and in a really tasty cream sauce. Main course bolognese was what you would expect but the lobster and shells with butter sauce was scrumptious. Staff was pleasant and attentive and worked as a team. We will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious , great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/1/2014Randomly picked this restaurant based on previous reviews. We were very happy....food was very good, service prompt and attentive. Great place to go prior to show or any other occasion .Special Features:
- NMOFMODined on 6/29/2014From the moment we entered the restaurant, the experience was fabulous. We ordered several courses and could not wait for the next one, as every bite was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-theaterajp2754Dined on 6/28/2014Great for dinner before the theater. They'll get you in and out in enough time for the show. Service was good, food of good quality. My pork chop, though requested medium, was delivered very rare. They quickly corrected this, and result was a good quality chop. Room was very noisy, so not the best place for a quiet or romantic dinner. Overall good quality.Special Features:
- foodieDined on 6/28/2014good restaurant excellent service however the chairs are horribleSpecial Features:
- The following 1904 reviews are from the Teatro reviews archive.
- Convenient Theatre DistrictOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/28/2014We went to Teatro for the convenient location to the Opera House. Our meal was outstanding and the prices were good in comparison to the other restaurants in this area. We do not visit Boston often and we were on foot. We got lost and were 30 minutes late for our reservation. Although late, they were very hospitable and pleasant and sat us right away.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's OkayNiikiDined on 6/26/2014We went to Teatro for dinner. The restaurant was alright.Special Features:
- Poor ServiceMrBillDined on 6/15/2014The service was horrible. Food coming out of the kitchen was very, very slow. Quality of the food was good but nothing special. I thought the pricing was high and the wine we bought was marked up 400% So overall it was ok and I suppose an ok place if you want to have dinner and go to a show.
- Oppi328VIPDined on 6/15/2014We took my parents to Teatro for Father's Day. The food was excellent, but our server was nasty and disrespectful. My mother can't hear well, and when she asked the server to repeat something, she wasn't nice about it at all! At the end of our meal, my son and his girlfriend had to rush to make a train so I asked our server to bring us dessert menus quickly, but instead of doing that, she started to clear the table. When I told her that we wanted the menus first, she gave me a nasty look! For appetizers, we ordered the thinly sliced tuna, a half pasta dish, and a delicious mushroom pizza. For entrées, we had scallops, gnocchi pasta, chicken Milanese, skirt steak, and swordfish. The pasta, the chicken, and the swordfish were outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stunning!albanyNYDined on 6/14/2014I went to Teatro's not knowing what to expect; I found an absolutely stunning restaurant! The food was to-die-for and it has become my new favorite Boston restaurant. The bread was fabulous, as was the calamari, and the chocolate cake. My pizza was the best I'd ever had. Highly, highly recommend this place! Try it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good StuffforevereatingDined on 6/14/2014We were greeted with a smile, drinks were great, food was even better, waiter was helpful, all combined with getting us out on time for the show! Loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great location before the theaterSusanslcmDined on 6/13/2014Excellent location right off the green line. Service attentive, prices moderate. Considering your in the city, they are very goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a favoriteLoves2eatDined on 6/6/2014Have been going to Teatro for a number of years and never disappointed. From food to beverage to service. Always a oldie but a goodie!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, horrible valet serviceGG84Dined on 5/31/2014Hadn't been here in a while so was please to find the food was still delicious. Highly recommend the beef carpaccio, meatball, rigatoni with bolognese sauce and scallop dish. Wasn't a fan of the antipasto, it used to have better items on it. Valet service was horrible. One valet on duty on a Saturday night made for a 20 minute wait outside to leave the car before heading inside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for pre theaterOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/31/2014Service was excellent, moving things right along, making it easy to make an 8:00 show after a 6:00 reservation. Waitress, Kaitlin, was very helpful with and knowledgable about wines, offering tastings to help our decision. Food was very good, but we just wish the tables were not so close together. We heard far more than we wanted to about our neighbors' business, and hearing at our own table was difficult.
- Very Good Pre-Theater DinnerGeoffDined on 5/30/2014Four of us had a very nice pre-theater dinner on Friday night. We started by sharing an antipasto plate, followed by each of us having our own two courses of appetizers. This proved to be very enjoyable and provided more than enough food. Teatro's location is great if you are going to the theater or the ballet, but it is a bit noisy when it is full.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/29/2014very nice, service great, didn't rush us, food good. Atmosphere simple but pleasant. very enjoyable eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- theater light mealFrancophilesnowbirdDined on 5/25/2014A good place to go for a light meal after a theater matinee. Great location in this district! small plates were welcomed by a small group of senior women.Special Features:
- Easy reservations with fine foodsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/24/2014Ingredients were fresh with simple presentation. Lobster pasta and fungi pizza were tasty. Hummus spread with bread was a surprise. Location right off Boston Common.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- was as good as expectedmart1951Dined on 5/20/2014My husband and I were in Boston for a conference, he had suggested going to an Italian restaurant for dinner on night. I goggled looking for the best and this was voted one of the top ten in Boston and it was within walking distance from our hotel. The menu was in Italian as far as the listing of categories, eg. Primi (for appetizers) and Secondi (for entries) as well as pizzas and pasta, list of antipastos were offered as well. After a few questions, I got the Gnocchi with potato and the mixed green salad with cabernet vinaigrette while my husband ordered the sea scallops with grilled prosciutto and the house salad. For dessert, I got the chocolate cake with caramel under and ice cream on top, my husband got the chocolate mousse.Special Features:
- Fantastic!KitterinaDined on 5/18/2014MY husband and I chose this place because of its proximity to the theater we were going to. The food was FANTASTIC! We ordered the beef Carpaccio and burrata for appetizers. They were delicious and light so we had enough room for our entrees! I had the scallops for my entrée and they were cooked PERFECTLY. My husband had the Veal Saltimbocca and it was out of this world. The service was incredible; never wanted for anything. It is a little pricey but in my opinion well worth it. You have to try this place to see what I mean.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Post theatre dining !OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/17/2014This is a neighborhood gem. Go to a 7:00 movie and then to Teatro for dinner. I love the Boglonese dish. Service is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Special OccasionsLaurenBUDined on 5/17/2014Brought my family here during BU graduation weekend. Between 5 of us, we shared a bunch of appetizers and only 2 main courses because the appetizers sounded so good. It was all amazing. Great atmosphere, service and food. The meatball appetizer was unbelievable as was the baby beets. I dont even like beets and I loved it. My dad got his favorite - veal saltimbocca and he loved it. And although we had so much food, I had to order the side pasta because pasta is my favorite food and theirs is homemade. It was, of course, unbelievable. My parents said it was the best restaurant I have ever brought them to in Boston. Definitely a great option for family or date night.Special Features:
- Good pre- theater dinner!LorenzoDined on 5/17/2014We enjoyed an excellent pre-theater dinner. Our waiter was attentive and considerate of our theater time. The food (and the younger wines) was very good. But, two glasses of wine ordered were the right wines, and were fine, but neither was of the vintage year indicated on the menu. We should have been told ahead of pouring. The room is handsome and comfortable. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Pre-theater restaurantvermontgurlDined on 5/17/2014This is a great place to grab a bite before curtain time. The service is ultra fast. They like to turn the table so quickly if you don't hang on to your plate it will be whisked away before you know it. Arugula salad with lemon clean and crisp. Scallops tender and succulent but the huge proscuitto crisp is a bit unwieldy. Swordfish did not marry well with various peppers, tomato paste and onion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic in every waymaggieDined on 5/16/2014We have been here twice before going to the theater and both times the food was excellent and waitstaff attentive, professional and genuinely looked like they loved their job! I don't usually get dessert but if you ever go I recommend highly the vanilla bean carmel dessert. It is absolutely amazing. I can't wait to go back, one of my most favorite restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oppi328VIPDined on 5/15/2014Teatro has delicious food and marvelous service! It is located in Boston's Theatre district so many of the diners who go there have a limited amount of time. The restaurant is wonderful about getting a 2 or 3 course meal to the diners in a short amount of time! We only had an hour when we ate there last week, but we were still able to enjoy a gourmet meal before our show! I had a Caesar salad and swordfish, and my husband had a scrumptious octopus appetizer and a chicken Milanese entree. All were fabulous! We highly recommend Teatro!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JackieDined on 5/15/2014We went before a theatre performance. Service was very good for people going for a specific time. Food was very tasty just not exceptional. First time I went was to meet people I didn't know,well. A good place for that. Price point good and very pleasant without being "over the top ". Comfortable dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprisingly DeceivingJBE123VIPDined on 5/11/2014From the outside, it looks like a run down hole in the wall. However, when you walk in, it is a beautiful looking restaurant. The food was delicious and fresh. The staff was nice but could have been a little more attentive (side note, I was sitting at the bar and not at a table). I highly recommend this place!Special Features:
- sighOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/10/2014Very pretty place and great feel. It was loud and hard to hear wait stuff and friends across the table.OK food, menu changes so id go back then. Flat bread pizza has no sauce so that was weird. Gnnochi was not flavorful at all, but scallops were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Doesn't belong in the same groupROCKSGVIPDined on 5/10/2014I don't normally comment on a place but I am a big fan of this restaurant group. Best in the city in my view--Sorrellina, Mistral, L'Andana, Ostra. All very fine. Teatro doesn't belong in the same group. Mediocre food. Service was attentive but lacks the special feel and attention of the other restaurants. Only thing that matched the other members of the group was the price. Probably an OK place if you want a forgettable meal right before a show.
- Great pre theater dinnerCarlyDined on 5/10/2014I went here on Saturday night before an 8 pm show at the Wang. Food, service, and cocktails were outstanding. I will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great Antipasto plateOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/8/2014Had the best and most interesting Antipasto plate I have experienced. 8 or 9 different small things along the outside of a large plate, all delicious, with a nice amount of Prosciutto and shaved Asiago cheese in the middle. I also had the small plate spinach ravioli in sage and cheese sauce. Very nice!Special Features:
- Teatro shineswestfordDined on 5/4/2014From the moment you step into Teatro, you feel that this is going to be an outstanding experience. Warm welcomes from the valet, reception desk, our waiter, and the ambiance set the tone. Bread is yeasty, crusty and yummy. Our past favorite was steak frites, which is no longer on the menu. However, the lightly breaded chicken served with arugula and shaved parmesan was delicious. Teatro's location makes it a perfect choice for pre- or post-theater dining..Special Features:
- pre-theater findsouthendloyalVIPDined on 5/2/2014Food was great with lots of small plates and apps from which to choose, as well as interesting entrees. Great for theater goers and a change of restaurant scene for those who frequent the South End or Beacon Hill. Vibrant without being overwhelming. No complaints whatsoever.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special placeBrenjieDined on 5/1/2014Small and large plates allowed us to try many different dishes. The best bolognase sauce. The food is hot when it is served and delicious.Special Features:
- DottieVIPDined on 5/1/2014Always a good experience---food great / service great.
- good choice for pre-theaterOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/1/2014A very convenient place for pre-theater dining. Excellent staffers. Pleasant, efficient service. Good food. Rather high noise level as tables filled.
- Teatro - a disappointment.AnotherfoodieVIPDined on 4/27/2014The food was just OK, drinks were below average ( I had the house special Marguerita which tasted as if it were made with a mix), service was fair and the valet parking attendant was snarky. I would not recommend.
- good food, ok serviceLillixDined on 4/27/2014We went out to tetoro for a quick birthday meal before going to the opera. The food was really good, and came out quickly, but the service was just ok. My boyfriends order came out wrong, not even close to the dish he ordered, and the waitress took forever to get the right dish. She also barely spoke to us or came to our table. Other than that, we loved it here, and will probably come back when we're going out to the theater.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.