318 Main Street
Bar Harbor, ME 04609Neighborhood:
Latin AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.havanamaine.com/
- Phone: 2072882822
- Hours of Operation:
We are open for the season - 7 nights/week from 5 pm until around 10 pm every night through at least October 31st, 2012.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Cassady Pappas
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Michael 207 288 2822
- Special Events: Check our website for the dates of our popular farm dinners.
A word from Havana
Havana is American fine dining with a Latin flair, great atmosphere, extensive wine list, knowledgeable staff and sophisticated menu. Since opening ten years ago, we have been committed to serving local and organic meats, produce and seafood. We search out New England farmers and fisherfolk to purchase products that are not only great tasting, but great for the environment and local economy. Seafood, lamb and meat dishes are flavored with intelligence and respect and change weekly, sometimes daily. Havana is located in downtown Bar Harbor, just a short stroll up Main Street.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Havana - Best Restaurants in Bar Harbor ›
Havana reviews from OpenTable diners
119 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (83)special occasion (62)notable wine list (55)romantic (54)neighborhood gem (40)great for outdoor dining (22)hot spot (15)good for groups (13)vibrant bar scene (9)late-night find (5)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- pauljcpauljcDined on 7/9/2014Havana was a great find in a touristy location. Food quality, wine selections (especially on half-price Wednesdays) and ambiance were unmatched in the area and provided a needed respite from the touring crowds.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findJennDined on 7/8/2014Tucked away within the many touristy spots, Havanas was a fantastic find. Great for foodies, the food, service, and feel of the place was unique. Nothing touristy about this place. Great food.Special Features:
- Delicious dinnerrunner5kDined on 7/8/2014We enjoyed our dinner at Havana. The staff was very knowledgeable regarding gluten free, and provided delicious gluten free bread! The owner, Michael, stopped by to make sure everything was to our liking and even offered other restaurant recommendations in Bar Harbor. We love Havana and will make sure to visit the next time we are in Bar Harbor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful in every way!pja0355Dined on 7/5/2014This was a terrific experience! I can see why the Obama's ate here. Order Mojitos'!Special Features:
- Not what I expectedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/4/2014Dinner for us on the 4th was not the wow I expected. We were promptly seated and had Enrique as our server. He did an excellent job throughout our service and seemed at times to be trying to do way too much, while others did not jump in to work as a team. We started with the Proveleta ($11) and that is an excellent dish. My wife had the scallop entrée ($29) and she enjoyed it a great deal. I went with the Ribeye for $32 and expected it to be a really decent piece of beef, but it was not (1/2” thick and looked like a Walmart steak). I had a hard time cutting through it and the chimichurri sauce was way too lemony. We did not have dessert and might be back for the new bar area and tapas menu next door.
- HavanaLaurenWJDined on 7/3/2014I was excited to go to Havana for the first time while on vacation in Bar Harbor. The menu looked fantastic, and my husband and I love Cuban food. When we arrived, we immediately loved that they had a guitarist playing live music by the bar. The bartender was friendly, and he made an excellent mojito. Once we were seated, we ordered an appetizer and our entrees. The food came out quickly, but the quality was very disappointing. Some of the food was overcooked, and some was just bland. We were tempted by the interesting selection of desserts though and ordered a slice of cake. My husband and I love cake and have never left a slice unfinished. However, the cake we had was so terrible, we couldn't eat more than a bite each. Wouldn't recommendSpecial Features:
- Just OKflyingfoodieDined on 6/30/2014We were promptly seated for our 8pm reservation. Our server was professional and welcoming informing us of the evenings specials presenting us with the evenings amuse. My husband ordered the pulled pork in banana leaf and I ordered the halibut, one of the evenings specials. When ordering my fish I specified that I did not want the fish over cooke. The predominant seasoning on that came through wit each bite of fish was salt! The fish was a bit over cooked and too salty. The pulled pork was a bit on the dry side but flavorful. The wine selection was expansive for a small restaurant. We each had salads to start. The gap between our salads and main courses was extremely long with our server apologizing for the delay. Overall just OK.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Continuing a great traditionjaybyerDined on 6/29/2014We have enjoyed Havana once or twice a season for many years. They have an interesting menu, great execution, and good wait staff. One of the best on MDISpecial Features:
- 44th wedding anniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/27/2014The service as well as the cocktail, wine, appetizer and entree selections were terrific. Thoroughly enjoyed the evening and will definitely dine at Havana again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best in Bar HarborBostonDinerVIPDined on 6/26/2014Cocktails are a weak spot, so have wine or stick to mojitos, but the food and service are reliably excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- None of the usual suspects...Poppi47VIPDined on 6/25/2014Every menu item and the wine list was boldly different.....and Havana delivered over and over again with amazing flavors. It was terrific.Special Features:
- Sapphires and LoveHappyCoupleDined on 6/21/2014Our 45th wedding anniversary was approaching and we wanted to have an excellent dining experience to celebrate. While we have lived on Mount Desert Island for four years, we had never tried Havana. On the recommendation of friends, we made our reservation online, mentioning that we would be celebrating our 45th wedding anniversary. I wore my sapphire earrings (a gift from my husband many years ago - how did he know then that our love and laughter would last this long?). We arrived and the hostess wished us happy anniversary. Our table had a Happy Anniversary card from Havana to us. We had a wonderful wine and an incredibly delicious meal served well. It was the perfect experience for our occasion. Thank you, Havana!Special Features:
- Guaranteed ExperienceMunchingMainerDined on 6/15/2014From the moment you enter Havana, you know you are in someplace special. The smells, the ambiance, the smiles on the customer's faces, everything points to a wonderful experience. I had been exposed to quite a lot of information regarding Havanna before coming and it was hard to believe it could live up to the hype. I can easily say it did. The waiter was delightful. There was someone there to fill my water glass every 90 seconds. I had the rabbit ear steak. It was to die for. My gf had the halibut and was delighted. All I can say is that the chef is an artist. The price will make it a fairly rare treat, but what a massive treat! Thank you Havanna for a wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SubparBostonian4lifeDined on 6/13/2014Decided to try Havana based on the many positive reviews. We started with salads both of which had terrible, overly acidic dressings. Entrées: The "gnocchi" was essentially bland mashed potatoes that had been rolled into tiny balls, dropped into boiling water, and then seared on a pan until burnt. When I informed the server that it wasn't my favorite. He became upset and said "You should have said something sooner." The manager came out and I explained that the food (the gnocchi in particular) was not very good. He asked if we wanted something else. At that point we were both tired and disappointed. They still charged us full price for the drinks, wine, salads, and entrees. I will not return to this restaurant in the future.
- Fantastic on all accountsisoqualityDined on 5/30/2014We pay more here for dinner out than we would usually - but it is worth it. The quality of the food, the flavor, the creativity and just plain deliciousness is truly outstanding. Service is friendly, not pretentious, as well - and the servers always seem to have interesting lives of their own! And just to confirm: their mojitos are really the very best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely vibe & unique cuisine!TravelingtwentysomethingsDined on 5/24/2014My husband and I came here as part of a celebration for his promotion in May. The atmosphere was beautiful and cozy, the food was unique and delicious and the service without flaw. It was on the expensive side for us, but worthy of a splurge!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 356 reviews are from the Havana reviews archive.
- Super hospitableLillianDined on 5/21/2014Service and ambience were excellent. Went right before the Memorial Day weekend so wasn't packed and made reservations on OpenTable that afternoon. The general manager was great and personally checked on all the tables. We loved the trio of dips that they brought out for the bread, especially the white bean dip. The paella was spectacular and is one of their signature dishes. We had the lobster moqueca which is also a popular dish that they have been fine tuning. We thought it would be better with more grilled pineapple and when we mentioned this to the GM he went to the kitchen and brought us out extra pineapple! Definitely somewhere we'd go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MagellyDined on 5/21/2014The Spring Salad was spectacular. Mixed greens with local bacon and an amazing Cuban egg. Loved that. The paella was very good, with the seafood cooked properly and the rice very flavorful. The pulled pork was much less successful...VERY dry. Have never had pork that dry and tough. The rice side dish was good, but very disappointed with the pork, which I could barely chew despite it's small pieces. The Tres Leches cake for dessert was good. Service was very attentive, and the decor is really pretty and fresh. When we spend this much on a special dinner, we expect the food to be flawless. Don't order the pork! Wish I had ordered something else, but I thought the pork dish would be one of their specialties. Wrong!Special Features:
- Great Restaurant in Bar HarborSarahDined on 5/9/2014I went here last weekend for dinner, and it was truly a wonderful meal. We were originally drawn in by the fact that the restaurant has an organic and local focus, and the food was truly stellar. We started out with cocktails (a caipirinha and a pisco sour) and then moved on appetizers (mushroom spring rolls) and entrees (seafood paella and a pork dish whose name I can't remember). Everything was amazing and the service was perfect.Special Features:
- stumbled upon this restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/1/2013stumbled upon this restaurant via opentable on an off season outing to bar harbor. happy to have found dining and surprisingly enjoyed the "recommended local favorite" spring rolls :) thank you :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what was billed to beJbor40Dined on 10/26/2013Not what was billed to be from previous reviews on your website
- Havana--great spot in Bar HarborJeanDined on 10/22/2013We had dinner this week at Havana and it was really good. They brought us a sample of the mushroom soup to see if we would like it--we did and then we had the swordfish with a black bean sauce which was delicious. As usual the breat was terrific. Can't wait to get back there next summer.Special Features:
- A gem on Bar Harbor...TimShortDined on 10/16/2013Eclectic menu with a wonderful off-shore flavor. Filet mignon was fantastic! Complemented by a very robust wine list. Service was attentive and staff is very knowledgeable. Great dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is the best restaurantArminDined on 10/14/2013This is the best restaurant in Bar Harbor and the Most stylish oneSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting and deliciousHfd422Dined on 10/13/2013We were seated immediately at the time of our reservation. Our waiter was timely with almost everything, and made several good recommendations. The food was outstanding and I was surprised at how large of a portion of the paella I received. The ambiance was a nice combination of formal and casual. I definitely recommend the crab cakes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Made a return visitRosieVIPDined on 10/12/2013I come to Bar Harbor to go hiking every fall. I came here last year and the food was very solid so I made a return visit and was not disappointed. I really like their wine list and enjoyed a 3 glass sampler. The breads are wonderful along with the bean spread. I had the kale and chorizo soup which had a great flavor but just wish it was a little more "hearty" with more texture. The rack of lamb medium rare was tender and juicy and came with a butternut squash and quinoa side. The ambiance is also very nice and I hope to return next year!Special Features:
- A hidden gem in Bar HarborSeanG63Dined on 10/11/2013This gem in Bar Harbor is on the "edge" of downtown but well worth the short walk. We had a tremendous dinner for 2 on Friday night and decided to return 2 days later to celebrate my 50th birthday with a group of 8. The service was impeccable, food is interesting and amazing and the wine list is nothing short of spectacular. The owner, Michael, is charming and welcoming. Despite the high level of cuisine and the wine list, it is not pretentious but very warm and inviting. I can't wait to return to Bar Harbor just to dine here again. Hands down, 5 stars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best food in Bar HarborAbigailDined on 10/11/2013First, definitely order the Paella. It you are worried about having to pick apart messy shrimp with your fingers, don't. The shrimp is already cleaned. Second, I worked for a decade in high-end fine dining. Not only was the food over-the-moon delicious, but (and this is a first for me) I didn't have even one critique about the service. Everything was correct, timed well, and placed well. Not to mention, the owner went around greeted the tables and asked how everything was. It was a busy night, but we never felt rushed and the service felt relaxed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A anniversary tradition whenLuvBHDined on 10/9/2013A anniversary tradition when visiting Bar Harbor. Always look forward to it. Menu has many selections to choose from.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For a thoroughly delightfulRockyDined on 9/28/2013For a thoroughly delightful evening, Havana is a perfect choice. From the creative food to the thoughtful service, a better dining experience would be hard to find.Special Features:
- Innovative and wonderfulLaurieSVIPDined on 9/24/2013The service is great, the food creative and delicious. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- Good, not greatMowglivtVIPDined on 9/21/2013A little disappointed in our return here after a few years . Our waitress was superb - paying attention to our needs ( my husband wanted a simple meal, so asked for entree plain, etc) but I was disappointed in my swordfish, the special of the day, as it was dry and overcooked. My flan dessert was nice, but not special in any way. Was expecting more, to be sure.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful place, great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/20/2013Excellently done food, great for allergies. The pork app was awesome, duck was delicious, salmon executed well. Certainly happy with it all, and not that pricey (just over $100 dinner for 2 with apps and wine).Special Features:
- Almost missed this gem ifFromIndependenceOHVIPDined on 9/18/2013Almost missed this gem if it hadn't been for Open Table. Such a gracious owner and staff. The wine list could be overwhelming, but the staff suggestion for our price range was terrific (plus it was half price Wednesday for some wines). Menu selections were so creative.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and service were excellent.MelanieDined on 9/17/2013Food and service were excellent. We were impressed also that the manager came over several times to check on us and recommend dishes. His suggestions were right on. Only drawback was being in the back room, not as nice as the front room. There was also a family with very young children contributing to the otherwise quiet noise level. Maybe use this back room for large parties and families and keep the front for couples and smaller parties.Special Features:
- Simple awesomeAnniversaryDined on 9/16/2013Wonderful Food Exzellent Wines Great Staff We came the First Time, but we will be back Again SoonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and service, but pricey!AllieDined on 9/14/2013We made a reservation to celebrate my boyfriends birthday and the atmosphere was great, the service was top notch, and food was really good. However, the meal was pricey so be prepared to drop at least $100 per couple. I'd go back but only for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary treatOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/13/2013Celebrated our 40th wedding anniversary. Was very nice even though our table was in a corner with fees of walls.Special Features:
- Amazing paellaOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/11/2013Three of us had dinner recently, one ordered paella, and that was the clear favorite! The pork and the scallops were okay but not spectacular. The wine list was extensive, the sommelier was very helpful. Save room for dessert, the affogato (espresso, salted caramel ice cream and dulce de leche) was a perfect marriage of flavors!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal we had in Bar Harbor!swduncanDined on 9/8/2013Best meal we had in Bar Harbor! We had the New York steak & lamb shank. Lamb was cooked perfectly. first time ever someone cooked it is well if I would. extensive wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.