2 Lexington Avenue
New York, NY 10010Neighborhood:
Gramercy / Flatiron
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://maialinonyc.com/
- Phone: 2127772410
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday 7:30am - 10:00am
Lunch: Monday - Friday noon - 2:00pm
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday 10:00am - 2:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Nick Anderer
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Cafe, Full Bar, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our communal table in the private dining room seats up to 22 guests and is available for events and celebrations.
- Private Party Contact: Amanda Kehr 2127772410
A word from Maialino
Maialino is a Roman-inspired trattoria from Danny Meyer’s Union Square Hospitality Group, located in Gramercy Park. Maialino captures the warmth and comfort of a true neighborhood trattoria, with a menu that celebrates the restaurant's ongoing relationship with its local family of farmers and suppliers. Executive Chef Nick Anderer draws inspiration from the Roman cooking tradition to create soulful food, reflective of the rich culture of both Rome and New York.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Maialino reviews from OpenTable diners
338 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (230)special occasion (148)neighborhood gem (145)great for lunch (114)notable wine list (110)great for brunch (105)hot spot (93)romantic (81)vibrant bar scene (71)good for groups (69)scenic view (20)kid-friendly (18)late-night find (17)Show More
- Always a delightMrBeauVIPDined on 7/29/2014Everything just works. Sat down at 6:30 and left at 12:30. Just a lovely evening!!!! As always.Special Features:
- Couldn't be happier!EatprayloveDined on 7/29/2014Maialino was really really good. The staff were very nice and attentive, the atmosphere was relaxed and happy, and the food was truly great. The Malfatti was actually one of the best entrees I have ever gotten, and for an appetizer next time I am getting the fried artichokes. The lemon dessert was a nice finish to an extremely pleasing experience. It was also my birthday, and they brought my dessert out with a lighted candle. I am coming back here every time I am in New York! I highly recommend Maialino and just wish there were one in my city!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect food every timemsbnyVIPDined on 7/29/2014This is an institution. Their pastas might be some of the most delicious pasta dishes I have ever tasted. Maialino is able to achieve incredible balance and flavor in their pastas without making them too complicated and fussy. One of my favorites dishes EVER to eat in New York City is their malfatti; loose noodles with braised suckling pig & arugala leaves. Absolutely incredible beautiful dish. My husband and I have been here several times, also with friends and family. This most recent time, I went with friends from work. Everyone had a fantastic meal and loved their choices. Must mention the budino dessert I had as well. Light, delicious lemon pudding with blueberry compote. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for lunch!8301coolguyVIPDined on 7/29/2014Such an enjoyable experience! Great service, quality food and beautiful coffee!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Moderately Good, Not GreatFosterVIPDined on 7/28/2014Interesting menu that uses fresh ingredients and capitalizes on an interesting mix of ingredients (like pickled vegetables in a salad). There is a heavy hand in the kitchen with the olive oil/fat: way too much on the salad, in the pasta dish and sauce over the chicken entree which was completely unnecessary. My dining partner said the same was true of his selections. Too bad, because I would have raved about the food otherwise. Lovely ambiance (you can actually have a conversation in this restaurant), albeit with service that was a bit snooty. It was hard to get our wait person's attention after we were served. For all this, prices are steep, so probably won't go again.Special Features:
- Fantastic Restaurant Week Lunchjdr777Dined on 7/28/2014My fiance and I have heard about Maialino for so long that we decided to come during restaurant week. The restaurant did not disappoint and everything we had was delicious. In particular we felt that the chicken thigh and chilled corn soup were standouts. Also, unlike most restaurant week meals, the portions were sizable. We both left happy and full!
- The complete package!macnycVIPDined on 7/28/2014We have had Maialino on our list for several years now, and regret that it took us so long to get here. Four of us enjoyed a wonderful and delicious lunch there, in a truly lovely room, with 'just right' service. This place deserves a cel phone entry, for sure - and many repeat visits.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/28/2014Love that during RW, there is only the special menu. No need to ask and feel as if you're second class. Staff is warm, welcoming and unfailingly professional. Selections wonderful. Can't go wrong with any choice. We ordered from both sides of the menu and enjoyed everything. One of our favorites!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ritadusheaVIPDined on 7/27/2014We goofed and didn't understand that although we had booked for lunch during Restaurant Week, it didn't include eating lunch on the weekends. Oh well. We had eaten there In the past and received great service and very good food, the menu was limited for brunch and the server was very forgetful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ElsieVIPDined on 7/27/2014We went for a Celebration lunch on a Sunday but menu was very much geared to Brunch. Disappointing for us as we were looking forward to the whole Maialino food experience. Will have to return for dinner to experience that.Special Features:
- Good food, not great servicealexbroVIPDined on 7/27/2014Have been here many many times. The food is always fantastic and the place is a pretty good scene. This most recent time the service was pretty bad. Pretty poor experience overall. Quite an unpleasant surprise compared to my normal experience. The service was really slow, the waiter spilled a bunch of coffee. Disappointed. I'll be back but I hope the service improves.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/24/2014Charming, modern European atmosphere and extremely professional well run restaurant with warm. friendly, welcoming staff. I have returned often and they set high standards for what a restaurant should be.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/24/2014First rate for lunch with friends. Wish the prices were a bit less---perfect to go during restaurant week, and very clever to have two price levels for mixing and matching. Also loved the $6 wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServiceSamipVIPDined on 7/22/2014Went to celebrate a birthday with the fiancee recently and were very well taken care of. The service was absolutely fantastic from the minute we walked in and were wished a happy birthday, to the small note/card they left on the table to wish, and finally the dessert. Not our first time here, but each time the service has been unquestionably attentive and wonderful.Special Features:
- Perfect for lunchwilmasmileyDined on 7/22/2014Lunch could hardly have been better. The staff was welcoming and friendly, the food delicious, and the service sincere, if not perfect.Special Features:
- nice lunchZgirlVIPDined on 7/21/2014We had lunch here during restaurant week- great food, great service. We appreciated their inclusion of $6 wine to accompany the special menu. It wasn't too noisy even after the dining room filled up though the bar area can be VERY loud so make note if you are sensitive to loud dining spots as we are and be sure to sit further back in the dining area.Special Features:
- JimmyDined on 7/21/2014The Chilean Sea Bass was unbelievable! The way it was served and its taste was like no other place I have ever seen! Everything was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceritabDined on 7/19/2014From the descriptions in various places I expected a heavy, rustic decor. While there are rustic touches, the room is spacious and airy feeling. Banquets, planters and other decor/dividers make it cozy at the same time. Overall I found the dining room to be among the most inviting that I've been to in a while. The food was very good and the service attentive and friendly. I went with my two sisters for a milestone birthday and Maialino definitely lived up to the momentous occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gem for the neighborhoodExcellentVIPDined on 7/19/2014We had great time at Maialino restaurant the food was great service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing...britterbugVIPDined on 7/18/2014We had heard great things...but were totally disappointed. The food was not good, and we felt that we got second class service for bringing our well behaved children. The waitstaff was SLOW and unhelpful. There was no pride in the menu or drink selections. Our waitress was completely disconnected from representing the restaurant in a positive light which attributed to our displeasure. Such a downer, given the great location and ambience. Sadly, we won't return.Special Features:
- Excellent!schee4u13VIPDined on 7/15/2014Great service. Make sure to order the pasta , really delicious and tasty especially lamb ragu bollognese pasta. The sorbet/ice creams are an excellent dessert choice. Will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Lovely lunch spotphotodancerDined on 7/15/2014We had a very nice lunch experience including great food, service and ambience. The artichoke appetizer was fantastic as was the orecchiette. The cherry tart was outstanding.Special Features:
- lovethepig!LocaleaterVIPDined on 7/12/2014This is always a stop while I'm in NYC. Excellent food and service everytime. Great wine list also.
- Meets Your EVERY ExpectationBigFanVIPDined on 7/9/2014Everyone I invite to Maialino is always delighted. It's just comfortable, the food is good-to-great, the servers are 'Danny Meyers'-trained and the ambiance is just right. Really a perfect place for just about everything. Even the beautiful babies at breakfast time.. : )) You will love it there.Special Features:
- Good comfort foodmangiareDined on 7/6/2014We tried one of the restaurant's specialties, the braised suckling pig, it was delicious, we had the Insalata along with it and the combination of the salad vinaigrette and the pork were amazing. We started with the Salumi misti and a few drinks, the wine selection is good but I wished they had a greater selection (wines from other regions). For dessert we tried the Panna Cotta and the Torta della Nonna, both were excellent, not too sweet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite NYC restaurant!ArielleDined on 7/6/2014If you haven't been to Maialino, you're in for a treat. This restaurant is magical, from the food to the ambiance, everything is perfect. The food though, is the star there for me: don't let the menu fool you, this is not your traditional, old-fashioned Italian restaurant. On the contrary, the dishes have been revisited to surprise even the most blasé customers. Everything served here is always impeccable, with extremely balanced flavors and delicate textures. My favorite dish here is the leg of lamb, and the desserts are all incredible. Go for brunch as well, and order their ricotta pancakes (texture like a délicate soufflé), scrambled eggs (extremely soft), toffee glazed brioche (a must!) or ricotta hazelnut bruschetta with honey!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent eveningmikebdesignDined on 7/5/2014Brought my Fiancée there for her birthday. We had an amazing meal, but the service might have been the best I've ever had. Our waitress managed to divine the fact that it was a birthday celebration without us telling her and brought out a complimentary gelato. It was fantastic.Special Features:
- Great food and killer wine listKMC1873Dined on 7/5/2014Thoroughly enjoyable experience. You get spoiled if you eat in NYC a lot and your standards get higher; however, this one exceeded our expectations. We ordered lamb chops and pork belly which were both phenomenal. Also amazing proscuitto di parma appetizer. The best part of the entire experience is the wine list. If you are a serious wine lover like myself, this place has hands-down the most interesting and affordable selection of Italian wines in all of NYC. The ambience is unpretentious yet modern and sophisticated. This will be one of our regulars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RemiVIPDined on 7/5/2014Maialino is always hard to get a reservation for, but on this fourth of July weekend, we succeeded! the service was terrific, the food superb. Even though it was brunch, the selection was good. My husband loved his lamb chops with an egg, and my cavatelli with lamb sausage was superb. We had a lovely bottle of wine and a terrific experience. Will definitely go back--that is, when we can get in!Special Features:
- As good as it getsPickypersonDined on 7/4/2014We had this restaurant highly recommended to us and it not only met expectations it exceeded them!! Top notch across the board nothing short of an exceptional dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A NICE SURPRISEMHM49Dined on 7/4/2014For our July 4th lunch it was very upbeat and pretty - nice food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience with one exceptionOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/30/2014Would have been 5 stars if not for one issue. A very nice place with a good variety of menu choices, great ambiance and service. The primary issue relates to my aversion to vinegar in my food and finding it used liberally in several of the entrees and side dishes that did not seem to need it. Had there been any hint of vinegar on the menu I would have mentioned my preference to our server, but it did not seem to be necessary in this case. Our pasta course was excellent to start. I was then quite surprised to find my lamb chops with a strong vinegar odor. Even my wife who likes vinegar remarked surprise that her chicken was absolutely "doused" in it to the point that it dominated the dish. Great place otherwise, but just be aware.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 2157 reviews are from the Maialino reviews archive.
- Scussel - 40th Anniversary 28Jun14OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/28/2014We couldn't have been more pleased with the service and the special care that Roger and Ashley took to make our 40th Anniversary dinner at Maialino's more special. Including a card on the table recognizing our anniversary. Denise was very taken by the special care. Thanks you for taking the time to make this a special occasion. Terry & Denise ScusselSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/26/2014Very cool setting. Decor is beautiful. Food above average but not great. Have had better high end meals than here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ScottVIPDined on 6/23/2014Branzino among the best anywhere. Unique. Delicious. Server was not as good as she should have been. Slow and a bit surly. Sommelier was outstanding. Knowledgeable, keen palate, very helpful.Special Features:
- Pretty close to perfectOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 6/22/2014Pretty close to perfect. Very serious and authentic Italian (especially Roman) food, but completely without pretention. A very Danny-Meyer miracle combination of impeccable service with all the advantages of grand formality but none of the stuffiness. And the food was amazing, as always. Never had better rabbit in my life, and the tortelli with (among other things) liver were a revelation.Special Features:
- wonderful italianCarlosDined on 6/22/2014marvelous food with a fantastic italian-focused wine list in the charming Gramercy neighbourhood.Special Features:
- Good NYC Restaurantbuzz709Dined on 6/19/2014Excellent wine list and very good food, but not extra special as you might think given some of the ratings. It's certainly above average, but most NYC restaurants are. Can't compete with Babbo/Marea - not on that level. Nice area of NY and a comfortable dining room, but really - good but not great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Working LunchEater1VIPDined on 6/19/2014Fantastic service via Dan for a working lunch of six people. Service knew how to manage the table with minimal interruptions. The food was excellent - accommodated a gluten-free diner who also had food allergies. Will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wished for betterOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/15/2014I was looking forward to this evening and it seemed nice when we walked in. I thought the wait staff was dressed a little slovenly. The food was good but pricey for what was served. The room was very crowded with tables. It was not, in my opinion, the elegant restaurant I was expecting.