BICE - San Diego
425 Island Avenue
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
BICE - San Diego
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bicesandiego.com/
- Phone: 6192392423x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm -11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Italian, Vegetarian / Vegan, Italian
- Executive Chef: Mario Cassineri
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: Easter and Mother's Day Brunch 12pm to 8:30pm.
A word from BICE - San Diego
Ideally located in the heart of San Diego's downtown Gaslamp Quarter, BiCE San Diego offers a skillful mix of traditional and contemporary Italian cuisine prepared with the best seasonal ingredients. BiCE combines an elegant and chic ambience with a warm and inviting atmosphere, including a beautiful exposed wine cellar and an award-winning, full-service Italian cheese bar, which offers a constantly rotating selection of formaggi. The BiCE menu includes both classic and trend-driven Italian dishes, with standouts including homemade pastas, unique meat and seafood dishes and decadent desserts. BiCE was recently recognized by the renowned James Beard Kitchen, where Chefs Mario Cassineri and Francesca Penoncelli were invited to share their Italian creations with some of New York City's greatest culinary minds. Chef Penoncelli was also awarded for the "Best Vegetarian" dish at the 2013 San Diego Food & Wine Festival and was named one of the top six female chefs by U-T San Diego.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
BICE - San Diego - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Gaslamp ›
BICE - San Diego reviews from OpenTable diners
108 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (64)special occasion (64)romantic (57)notable wine list (54)neighborhood gem (32)good for groups (19)hot spot (15)vibrant bar scene (14)late-night find (9)kid-friendly (2)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Loved the cheese bar! TheOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/16/2010Loved the cheese bar! The service was fantastic and we had an extremely enjoyable anniversary dinner at Bice.Special Features:
- The decor of the restaurantDiningMVPDined on 1/15/2010The decor of the restaurant was suitable to what I would expect from a nice restaurant. I was a little disappointed with the service however. My friend and I were seated promptly, however, we must have waited around 15-20 mins before our waiter came to our table. To add insult to injury, a group of around 10 that were seated after us received service before our party of 2. When things like this happen it definitely does not provide a positive impression and the rest of one's dining experience is usually affected. My friend and I both enjoyed our fresh pasta dishes and the service improved once we had a waiter, but I would have expected a better start (especially since the restaurant was not extremely busy).Special Features:
- We enjoyed Bice. The foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 1/15/2010We enjoyed Bice. The food and service was very good. Two issues that I did not enjoy was noise in the restaurant and the $20 valet parking. I would go there for drink and cheese bar, but would not entertain customers there because of the noise.Special Features:
- Sensational restaurant. WouldTheSDWsDined on 1/15/2010Sensational restaurant. Would dine here frequently if not for parking.Special Features:
- Went on Thursday night aroundSKapDined on 1/14/2010Went on Thursday night around 7pm and the place was packed. The restaurant is beautiful with the right combination of enough space to enjoy your experience and open-ness that creates the 'buzz'. Other than a little wait when we sat down, the service was excellent. I highly recommend trying their cheese & cured meats: the chef did a great job of putting a sample plate together that was outstanding. The arugala salad was deliciious (with grilled proscuito-wrapped goat cheese). The flavors in the Osso buco were great, especially the saffron rissotto, but my cut was just a little overcooked. Didn't have room for desert (the portions are more than ample), but the espresso was great. I will definitely be going back...Special Features:
- First experience at this restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 1/12/2010First experience at this restaurant. The service was very good. I loved the extensive cheese menu and the pasta was fantastic, and reasonably priced. I will definitely return.
- Wonderful, but the partiesOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/9/2010Wonderful, but the parties around us were extremely loud and boisterous, which made it difficult to enjoy our own conversation. Otherwise, lovely and great food!Special Features:
- The food is excellent. InterestingOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/9/2010The food is excellent. Interesting menu. Service excellent.Special Features:
- Excellent menu...plenty ofOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/9/2010Excellent menu...plenty of variety...prepared with great care...generous portions. Initially, we were each set on choices from the menu, but after hearing the specials, we each ordered two different specials; they were fabulous! We ordered a cheese plate for dessert; the cheese chef made wonderful selections, explaining each choice when he brought it to the table. Great wine list, listed by region and grape. The service was very conscientious with great senses of humor (yet not overbearing); servers had excellent knowledge of the food and its preparation. We had a two and one-half hour dinner and never felt rushed. The food was fabulous...best authentic Italian food I have had outside of Italy! Wonderful for a special occasion.Special Features:
- I keep returning to Bice,OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/8/2010I keep returning to Bice, as it is one of a kind and one of my favorites in San Diego. Unfortunately, this last time, I had to wait 30 minutes for a table, even though I had a reservation. This would preclude me from dining here again if it a regular occurrence.
- Dining experience very good,8dinnerVIPDined on 1/8/2010Dining experience very good, but make sure to get price of specials as we ordered the special appetizer and were surprised when the bill came and the appetizer fprice was $17 each for a spinach salad with Italaian cheese and Italian bacon. Also makes you think when you need to pay $20 for Valet parking..this makes your dining experience quite a bit more expensive.Special Features:
- The food was of high qualityOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 1/8/2010The food was of high quality but was too bland and lacked pizazz. The ambience and the wait staff were very good but the food was most disappointing. The valet parking charges at $20 were outrageous. Will not go back
- Food was good. Small portions.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/8/2010Food was good. Small portions. Waiter was friendly and very efficient. Would return for another special occasion.Special Features:
- I waiter was wonderful. IOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 1/6/2010I waiter was wonderful. I thought the artichoke salad was terrific.Special Features:
- I am hopeful this restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/5/2010I am hopeful this restaurant gets the patronage it deserves. The food is on par with SF and NY dining. It is a leap forward for San Diego cuisine. And I am not a big fan of Italian. But I am a big fan of Bice.Special Features:
- The gnocchi was overcooked.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/2/2010The gnocchi was overcooked. The spaghetti was undercooked. No veal parmigiana on the menu and when asked, the waiter replied that the chef would be humiliated if we ordered it! What happened to the motto "the customer is always right"? Bice in NYC has veal parmigiana. On the other hand, the appetizers were very good. I doubt that we'll go back. Please remind me why we went there?
- The food was great. Must getOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 1/1/2010The food was great. Must get the Eggplant Parmegiana! Definitely the best I ever had. A bit too crowded and servers were too busy to attend every table consistently. Besides that, it's still a good spot to dine.
- The Host and Hostess, RinaldoOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/31/2009The Host and Hostess, Rinaldo and Gabriella Colantoni are the icing on the cake and this wonderful restaurant. The food is exceptional and the atmosphere makes any occaision a festing and memorable one. They have a private room that would be perfect for a group occaision and the wine list is exceptional. We had a wonderful new year and would reccommend Bice in San Diego to anyone.Special Features:
- We had a lovely time. It wasOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 12/31/2009We had a lovely time. It was New Year's Eve and could have been chaotic. Instead it was a lovely setting, we were not rushed, good suggestions were made by the wait staff and the prices were reasonable. We shared appetizers and pasta and each had a main dish. I've lived in Italy and the food was very authentic northern italian fare. We would love to go back there soon.Special Features:
- The noise level Saturday eveningkeaaDined on 12/26/2009The noise level Saturday evening was over the top. It was a full house. It was almost impossible to have a conversation with my wife across the table without both of us leaning in! The penne side was great but my pork was overdone and dry. With so many choices in the San Diego downtown area, I don't know why we would go back to Bice!
- Perfectly horrific serviceLADinerVIPDined on 12/25/2009Perfectly horrific service from the minute you walk in the door and are rudely told that your table is 'another 10 minutes, OK!"... no offer to go to bar.. she walks away... to a waiter with attitude; to a kitchen that prepared the wrong dish (and when the waiter was told said " I put in the right order, the kitchen did it wrong).. no 'sorry' at any point by the way. The table next to us was complaining about their service with a different waiter! I overheard the manager explaining to them that 'we try to train them.. but, its hard' An "attitude" permeates this establishment;I get the distinct impression that this was not just a 'bad night; and a bad waiter",, but a theme. Food - not bad; nothing to rave about. GO ELSEWHERE!
- Food was very nice. However,OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 12/25/2009Food was very nice. However, we had to ask for a different server because our first server was not acceptable. Made inappropriate, unprofessional comment.Special Features:
- Reminded me of upper eastOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/25/2009Reminded me of upper east side Manhattan or Chicago. Beautiful dining room with bank like front windows. Nice size menu without being too big. Friendly service. Very nice Italian wine list with a nod to California.Special Features:
- We ordered an array of cheesesOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/22/2009We ordered an array of cheeses from the cheese bar and asked the waiter to pair it with a drink. We were suprised he paired it with a proseco but it actually worked well together. The best thing was the Frutti di mare soup. It was like a rich seafood stew with big plush clams and oysters,fish, shrimp with these delicios toasts to accompany them. Also the seafood risotto with saffron was excellent as was the seabass, which was cooked to perfection. The food is really outstanding.Special Features:
- Wonderful new restaurant inSDFoodieVIPDined on 12/20/2009Wonderful new restaurant in the Gas Lamp. Food is consistently outstanding as is the service.Special Features:
- Bice had the worst serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/19/2009Bice had the worst service I have ever experienced. We arrived at 8:40pm for our 8:45pm reservation. At 9:15, we were told that we had about 20 more minutes to wait. We asked to speak to the manager and were seated at 9:35. Our server offered us bread when we were given menus and came back 20 minutes later with no bread to take our order. We ordered two appetizers and received those quickly, however our server promised crack pepper and never returned so I had to track down another server to take care of this. We then received our meals, which were amazing. However, as soon as we set our forks down we were quickly given the check and offered no dessert or coffee. The server was neglectful and paid little attention to our needs.
- My main criticism of the restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/19/2009My main criticism of the restaurant was the hostess. We waited for one hour to be sat for a previously made reservation. She didn't once come to keep us updated on our table. We were the only part waiting in their sitting area right in front of the hostess station. Once we were sat, however, the service was very good.Special Features:
- Excellent wine list and anBustedAltitudeVIPDined on 12/18/2009Excellent wine list and an amazing cheese bar! A great choice for a business dinner.Special Features:
- Absolutely fabulous diningOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/18/2009Absolutely fabulous dining experience. We will definitely be back.
- BEAUTIFUL PLACE TO DINE---PORTIONSOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/12/2009BEAUTIFUL PLACE TO DINE---PORTIONS ARE NOT LARGE BUT FOOD SO GOOD.Special Features:
- Outstanding Cheese Bar inOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/10/2009Outstanding Cheese Bar in addition makes this by far the best Italian resturant in the Gaslamp of Downtown San DiegoSpecial Features:
- The Cheese and charcuterie3kingsdineVIPDined on 12/6/2009The Cheese and charcuterie bar was AMAZING. The Lamb -perfect. Really no options for kids food, but(upon request) they did make a DELICIOUS fett alfredo. Service was averageSpecial Features:
- we had a great meal for myOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/5/2009we had a great meal for my birthday but i noted in the reservation that it was my birthday and they did not acknowledge it during the meal. The mushroom flan special was outstanding and the other entree's were very good as well.Special Features:
- Bice is a excellent resturant,OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/25/2009Bice is a excellent resturant, it has the LA/Hollywood look, but not all the traffic. This was our first time in San Diego Gaslamp district, and our experience at Bice is what made our visit to San Diego memorable. They have a excellent wine list, and the cheese bar was a wonderful addition to the resturants ambiance. The meal was very authentic Italian with a gourmet flare. The owner was very pleasant, he comes around to every table, real "Italian" style. I highly recommend this resturant, Gaslamp distric has no other like this.Special Features:
- we had a reservation at 8:30pmOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/21/2009we had a reservation at 8:30pm and we arrived at 8pm. we were not seated until 10pm and i will never go to this restaurant again or recommend it to anyone.
- San Diego was very much inTonyRodDined on 11/21/2009San Diego was very much in need of a quality upscale Italian restaurant and Bice San Diego hits the spot. Great variety of dishes, all excellently prepared with quality ingredients. Staff is freindly and effective. Ambience is quietly elegant. The total cost is can be expensive, but worth it. Tony RodriguezSpecial Features:
- Excellent new restaurant insenaylorDined on 11/20/2009Excellent new restaurant in the Gaslamp. Good restaurants in the Gaslamp are hard to come by but this one is a gem. Outstanding service and food was amazing. Must try!!!Special Features:
- Food was okay. I was expectingOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/17/2009Food was okay. I was expecting more. The gnocci was good but slightly too salty, the seabass was mediocre at best. The calamari starter and polenta were good but rather large for an appetizer (that could be good/bad depending on the person). Our server was excellent although we did not get a wine list with our menu. I noticed the table next to us that had to ask for the list too.Special Features:
- Did not know that BICE hadJugularVIPDined on 11/14/2009Did not know that BICE had only been open for 10 days! Reservation was set for 8 p.m. but we were not seated until past 8:30 (the only negative for the night). Somewhat noisy, with people enjoying themselves, but every table was packed even up to when we finished dinner. Very accommodating for our 6 person group. I saw many larger groups seated throughout so larger groups seem very welcome. Our waiter was very polite and made sure to check on us often. The food was superb and menu selection was more unique than most of the Gaslamp Italian restaurants. Felt like I was in fine restaurant in Rome or Amalfi for that matter. The wine selection would meet the budget of most anyone. The cheese bar was incredible as well. Overall, primo!Special Features:
- our second visit. food waspastaloverVIPDined on 11/14/2009our second visit. food was even better this time, although service suffered a bit. restaurant was very crowded, with several large groups. noise level was uncomfortably high. however, this restaurant is a class act. the restaurant is new, but the wait staff is experienced, the busboys are fantastic. a mostly italian wine list with lots of reasonably priced, interesting choices and staff to help you navigate the list. food is beautifully presented and very well executed.Special Features: