BICE - San Diego
425 Island Avenue
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
BICE - San Diego
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bicesandiego.com/
- Phone: 6192392423x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm -11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Italian, Vegetarian / Vegan, Italian
- Executive Chef: Mario Cassineri
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: Easter and Mother's Day Brunch 12pm to 8:30pm.
A word from BICE - San Diego
Ideally located in the heart of San Diego's downtown Gaslamp Quarter, BiCE San Diego offers a skillful mix of traditional and contemporary Italian cuisine prepared with the best seasonal ingredients. BiCE combines an elegant and chic ambience with a warm and inviting atmosphere, including a beautiful exposed wine cellar and an award-winning, full-service Italian cheese bar, which offers a constantly rotating selection of formaggi. The BiCE menu includes both classic and trend-driven Italian dishes, with standouts including homemade pastas, unique meat and seafood dishes and decadent desserts. BiCE was recently recognized by the renowned James Beard Kitchen, where Chefs Mario Cassineri and Francesca Penoncelli were invited to share their Italian creations with some of New York City's greatest culinary minds. Chef Penoncelli was also awarded for the "Best Vegetarian" dish at the 2013 San Diego Food & Wine Festival and was named one of the top six female chefs by U-T San Diego.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
BICE - San Diego - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Gaslamp ›
BICE - San Diego reviews from OpenTable diners
107 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (63)fit for foodies (63)romantic (56)notable wine list (54)neighborhood gem (31)good for groups (19)vibrant bar scene (14)hot spot (14)late-night find (8)kid-friendly (2)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great FoodDidyanneDined on 5/31/2014I have been dining at Bice several times a month since the day it opened. There have been many changes, but there is one constant--the great food of Mario and Francesca. Most restaurants have one or two dishes that appeal, at Bice, deciding from the many wonderful choices is hard. The service is great. The dining rooms are very comfortable. The bar is our favorite space.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good ItalianAlboresDined on 5/31/2014Great pasta, and excelent service the salads need work and very good wine listSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Remains a great place2aboutUVIPDined on 5/31/2014Second year running the San Diego Rock N Roll Marathon and second time going to BICE the night before the race. Food quality is excellent as is the service. This time I got one of the specials, Rigatoni with Swordfish and while the taste was great, I thought the portion size was small given the price point. Otherwise I would recommend the restaurant to about anyone as it is a good choice for a nicer Gaslamp option.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not very good serviceLindyDined on 5/30/2014There were only two of us dining. We saw our waiter only twice - once to give us the menus and once to hand us the bill. There was a large party that were seated behind us shortly after we arrived and all his attention went there. Another person stopped by to take our order but both the food and the drinks took forever to arrive. The food was okay nothing outstanding.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant, creative Italian fareTamaraDined on 5/29/2014This was my second visit to Bice for a work dinner. I knew I could count on the restaurant to deliver creative and delicious Italian food with professional service. The special appetizer of calamari with almond cream was outstanding.Special Features:
- 8144420400AlchemistDined on 5/23/2014The food was great and the staff was very attentive. However, being from the east (PA), I noticed that there was no veal on the menu. I know that this is the "left" coast and PETA reigns, but do you want some group deciding what you can and cannot eat? What's next the lightbulb and toilet tank police? Oh, there here already!Special Features:
- Fondly Remembered Good RestaurantdavidVIPDined on 5/23/2014We have been served several time with exquisite service, an excellent variety of food. The cheese plates were outstanding. The wine was also excellent. We have not enjoyed this experience often in town and will happily enjoy it again. Thanks for a great time and superior evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- grandslamhomerDined on 5/22/2014My wife and I returned to the restaurant last night and spent an 1 1/2 hours at the one of a kind Cheese Bar with host Ester. We went during Happy Hour so you can enjoy wonderful flavors of exotic cheeses from all over the world and taste $5.00 appetizers, wine and cocktails. We then had a very romantic dinner with an outstanding waiter Alex. Paulo is a great host and Ricky is a hard working member of the staff. Their unscale Real Italian Menu is Fantastic. Chef Mario came out of the kitchen to give us a hug during our visit and we can't wait to go back again ! A Must try on anyone's Bucket List !Special Features:
- Delicious foodstevereDined on 5/19/2014We have had a number of fine meals at Bice, but this one was exceptional. Thank you, Chef Mario. Server Guiseppe took great care of us. Try the 2008 Montecariano Amarone if they still have some - surprisingly soft tannins for a young Amarone hiding under a full bore layer of fruit extraction.Special Features:
- The following 917 reviews are from the BICE - San Diego reviews archive.
- Decent, but priceyTheHunterDined on 5/16/2014Our waiter was terrific. Very knowledgeable and helpful. For an Italian restaurant the portions were on the small size. Meats and cheese appetizers were great, but the main pasta courses were okay.Special Features:
- Lovely restuarant. Big city feel.socalgirlVIPDined on 5/11/2014The pasta was just okay. Salmon was great. Cured meat and cheese plates are a treat.Special Features:
- Just an average restaurant.BeenThereDined on 5/10/2014Our experience was not one to be expected from a 4 star restaurant. The main dining room decor is uninspiring and the lighting is terrible. The service is almost "too attentive" and over sells the menu options. Worse, was two of the six entrees were already sold out and not available at 8pm on a Saturday! The food was average and uninspiring.
- Not worth the moneypickyfoodieDined on 5/10/2014Ordered trio of tartar for starters & they were both room temp. Room temp raw fish?! Split on the Branzino; one was cooked nicely & the other was overcooked. The pan seared sea scallops had the look of being pan seared but it did not have the mouth feel or taste of having been pan seared. The pork medallion was very salty and dry. Disappointed with service when the waiter and maitre d both argued with us about what dessert we ordered after the waiter brought the wrong thing. What happens to the customer is always right?! Maybe the waiter could not hear us since the restaurant was very noisy. Will not go back because food is not worth the money especially considering we have to add on $20 valet parking.
- Amazing Italian CuisineChopperDined on 5/10/2014Contemporary setting in the Gas Lamp district. Probably the best bruschetta and gnocchi I have ever had!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food was only fairOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/10/2014we had been there shortly after it opened, but the server was so poor that we avoided it in the interim. this night the service was excellent, but the food was only average, we are not likely to return
- PtlovesfoodVIPDined on 5/8/2014Out waiter was very helpful and very attentive. Food was just so so.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bice does not disappoint!PickyEaterDined on 5/3/2014I always have a great time at Bice! The food is exceptional and the staff very friendly and knowledgeable! I am never disappointed! One of my top favorite restaurants in San Diego.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BellamsantoshDined on 5/2/2014Reminds me of Tuscany as rabbit ravioli was good, trio of seafood app was awesome. Great service in a relaxed romantic modern black wall environment. Will be back!Special Features:
- Greatly Exceeded ExpectationsPaTravelerDined on 5/2/2014I took a group of associates to BICE for dinner while attending a business meeting in San Diego. From the initial reservation phone call to leaving the staff were friendly but professional. The cheese steward dazzled us with his knowedge and love of all things cheese. From my seat it isn't a job, it is his passion. Likewise our server Marco was outstanding. Starting with his wine recommendations and throughout the meal he steered us on a course to one of my most pleasable dining experiences. The food was even better than the outstanding service. My grilled swordfish was perfectly grilled, moist and tender yet thoroughly done. The eggplant parmesan was amazing, unlike I've ever had. I highly recommend BICE. Try it, you will not regret it!Special Features:
- Fine DiningJanniDined on 4/30/2014Delicious and excellent service. We loved the ambience and quiet decor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cheese Bar!plernerVIPDined on 4/26/2014I have now been to Bice 2 weekends in a row. It is one of my new favorite restaurants in San Diego because the food, service and ambience is outstanding. The most unique feature of Bice is the cheese bar where one can sit, taste cheese from a vast list divided by 'potency', choose from a selection of meats and enjoy a glass or bottle of fine wine. I've eaten the eggplant parmesan both times and it's the best preparation I've had anywhere. I put the noise level as energetic because the second time we were seated in a room that had three large parties so it was pretty noisy. The main dining room is quiet and quite lovely which is where I ate the first time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic Italian and innovativeMicheleDined on 4/20/2014We enjoyed the prix fixe Easter menu. The cold cuts and breads were excellent, with the bresaola dressed with olive oil and cress. I had a glass of Voveti Prosecco, elegant and dry; and a Super Tuscan to follow with the meal. The kale and farro salad was outstanding, likewise the burrata with grilled zucchini and cherry tomatoes. My husband thought the crab topping on his spinach gnocchi was superfluous but my lasagna with ragu was perfect. I make my own lasagne noodles and ragu so can appreciate the real thing. My pineapple carpaccio lacked flavor but the marinade with star anise was nice and the sorbet lovely. My husband loved his strawberry tiramisu.Special Features:
- Ignored for a hand gestureULJIVIPDined on 4/17/2014We were in the middle of ordering as our waiter suddenly LEFT without saying a word. He was in mid sentence when another diner with a large group at another table raised his hand, and he instantly stopped taking our order, and went to help that table. We then saw him pouring wine for the other table! Had my girlfriend not been starving I was more than ready to walk out. Towards the end of our meal, after I mentioned it to him, he seemed to genuinely feel bad about what happened and tried making it up to us. However we went to eat sushi at Bang Bang afterwards as my steak was not edible, and my girlfriends Cedar Plank Seabass was bland except for a strong fishy taste. In fairness the Buratta cheese appetizer was fairly good.Special Features:
- bugsJarrettDined on 4/13/2014My friend suggested to go to this place because it was his favorite food in San Diego when he lived here. The food was great; however, the reasturant was not. There were flies all over the place. They gave us the option to move but that didn't help. I saw other tables slapping the air so I wasnt the only one. I expected some sort of reduction on the bill and there was no compensation at all. I will pretty much tellj everyone I know to never go here.
- Wonderful evening.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/12/2014The whole evening unfolded as it should at a restaurant of this calibre. Seated promptly, an attentive and knowledgeable waiter and well prepared food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian For A Change of PaceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/12/2014Traveling the globe, I don't think to order Lasagne at a restaurant. But, it was a nice alternative. It was a bit pricey, yet it should be expected in the Gas Lamp.I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinner at BICEPeterDined on 4/8/2014Just outstanding food, service, and attention to detail. Excellent explanation and recommendations of food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So soOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/6/2014Food was very ordinary. Not bad, but not great either.
- Authentic, creative Italian foodTamaraDined on 4/3/2014We had an excellent meal here. I live in Italy and can vouch for the authenticity of the cuisine, although the menu is more creative than you would find in an Italian restaurant and is more accommodating of vegans and those on a gluten-free diet. The food is fresh and creative and the service is very professional. This is a good option for a group with diverse tastes as there is something on the menu for everyone. It is expensive but the price is fair considering the quality, ambiance and service of the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely little family dinneriZenDiegoVIPDined on 4/3/2014Went on short notice. Took our 4 year old and was treated beautifully by the staff. Food was delicious and no pressure. We had Lora of breaks due to our girl but the kitchen was great about timing the pales. Let the waiter choose a charcuterie selection (delicious) and we popped a Piedmont Sangiovese from there wonderful selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific Birthdaydna11yDined on 3/30/2014My in-laws brought my wife and I here for my wife's birthday, and it couldn't have been more perfect. Marco Zannoni was a true professional, providing exceptional service and making our dining experience 5-star. All of the food tasted fantastic, and for a very moderate to reasonable price-scale for the quality received. The 7-cheese plate was tremendous, fresh, and vibrant. I would definitely recommend this restaurant, and will be returning as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our salads were tasty andTom1Dined on 3/29/2014Our salads were tasty and fresh. The perfect size. Dinners were delectable. Scallops were one entry and baked pasta with selections from the sea. We skipped desertSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was the best partbucketlistbabeDined on 3/29/2014Had a 6:30pm reservation and were seated promptly. Unfortunately it was at the height of dinner hour and they must have been short a waiter or two, because even though we did get water and Paolo (dining room concierge) took our wine order, we ended up sitting for 20 minutes and then had to ask for bread, (which had a variety of 3 different kinds of bread with an olive oil, balsamic and marscapone dip) He then ended up taking our order. Having said that, the food was absolutely delicious (saffron risotto w/shrimp, mushroom ravioli, lasagna, and a fish dish to name a few). All the desserts (tiramisu, coconut pane cotta, and a few others) were incredible. It's definitely a place to dine and the food alone is worth a few inconveniences.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd yum!GingerDined on 3/28/2014This was my 2nd time at Bice. I have been to excellent Italian restaurants coast to coast and in Italy and this is one of my favorites. The quality of ingredients is superb - the cheeses, the breads, the kale salad, the fresh pasta! The service is extraordinary as well -extremely attentive and knowledgeable with vibrant personality. The only negative is the loud noise level when the restaurant is full. Still, that did not keep me from luxuriating in the divine tastes. Thanks Bice for bringing me some of my longed for, authentic Italian delights.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice surprise in Gas Lampcrc22Dined on 3/27/2014Unassuming looking place from front conceals a wonderful restaurant inside. Fabulous service, very good food, great wine. Server recommended a "best wine for the price" that did not disappoint. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Particular Girl UnderwhelmedParticularGirlDined on 3/27/2014I went to Bice with a friend hoping for an extraordinary meal out. The food was fresh and had good flavor, but was not anything extraordinary. Even with a reservation, we were placed at a small table hidden away in the back corner where are waitor seemed to forget about us. After a half hour of no attention, I went seeking his attention to get our bill. If you want a restaurant that Has impeccable service, no pretension, and makes you feel welcome; this is not a good choice.
- Surprisingly loudgckoDined on 3/20/2014I took a date there on a Thursday night. The waiter was incredibly attentive at the beginning of the night. He came back to the table 3 times before we'd even opened the menus. The wine selection was pretty decent, there were four pages. To be honest, I normally just point at something and hope for the best. My date and I both ate specials. I had a beef and veal lasagna she had a spicy italian sausage rigatoni. Both meals were tasty. Overall it was a good experience. The one drawback was the noise level. It increased steadily throughout the night until we couldn't hear each other across our table.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placemaxtraveller619VIPDined on 3/15/2014Consistently have great service and wonderful meal at BICE. This is one of our tops in San Diego. Having travelled extensively in Europe, and particularly Italy, we appreciate the the focus on high quality ingredients and preparations. Love the cheese bar! Had the lobster risotto and the gnocchi. Risotto was a bit heavy on the burrata, but simple red sauce was lovely. Gnocchi had lovely sauce and excellent texture. Prices are high, but not as compared to other restaurants in the Gaslamp that have far inferior service and preparations. Simply one of our faves.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Entrees not so goodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/15/2014We had a party of 10 and enjoyed the cheese plate and honey for starters. But 4 of the 10 entrees were not good. Risotto was way too salty and one of the pasta dishes was fishy. Other entrees were OK.
- Exceptional experienceAlexandrao1945Dined on 3/11/2014We dined at Bice before the theatre and found the restaurant to be exceptional in every way. There was attention to every detail. Stefano was our waiter and was impeccable, with great knowledgeable of the food and wine. Mario's food was delicious We have been to other Bice restaurants in Chicago and New York, this was our first time in San Diego. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.