BICE - San Diego
425 Island Avenue
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
BICE - San Diego
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bicesandiego.com/
- Phone: 6192392423x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm -11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Italian, Vegetarian / Vegan, Italian
- Executive Chef: Mario Cassineri
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: Easter and Mother's Day Brunch 12pm to 8:30pm.
A word from BICE - San Diego
Ideally located in the heart of San Diego's downtown Gaslamp Quarter, BiCE San Diego offers a skillful mix of traditional and contemporary Italian cuisine prepared with the best seasonal ingredients. BiCE combines an elegant and chic ambience with a warm and inviting atmosphere, including a beautiful exposed wine cellar and an award-winning, full-service Italian cheese bar, which offers a constantly rotating selection of formaggi. The BiCE menu includes both classic and trend-driven Italian dishes, with standouts including homemade pastas, unique meat and seafood dishes and decadent desserts. BiCE was recently recognized by the renowned James Beard Kitchen, where Chefs Mario Cassineri and Francesca Penoncelli were invited to share their Italian creations with some of New York City's greatest culinary minds. Chef Penoncelli was also awarded for the "Best Vegetarian" dish at the 2013 San Diego Food & Wine Festival and was named one of the top six female chefs by U-T San Diego.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
BICE - San Diego - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Gaslamp ›
BICE - San Diego reviews from OpenTable diners
116 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (70)special occasion (70)romantic (62)notable wine list (57)neighborhood gem (35)good for groups (21)hot spot (17)vibrant bar scene (13)late-night find (8)kid-friendly (3)great for lunch (3)scenic view (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Fabulous food-atmosphere & service!Good4EatingDined on 6/28/2014We went Saturday night. It was our second visit and definitely won't be our last! The bleu cheese cotton candy appetizer is to die for!!! And the deep fried marshmallow with tomato jam and chocolate drizzle is right up there too!!! Amazing!!! WOW!!! And the 7-cheese platter was wonderful! If anyone is in San Diego, this place is a MUST!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining spot!hungryiDined on 6/26/2014Our dining experience at Bice was delightful. From the understated, modern ambiance to the tasty entrees, this restaurant did everything well. Service in both the bar and dining area was quick and attentive. Prices were moderate, especially since the food offerings were excellent.Special Features:
- Delicious FlavorsHankypooDined on 6/26/2014The restaurant was very contemporary. Although we did not have wine, the wine steward was quite good from what we saw and heard around us. The waiter was knowledgable but getting him to our table was a task. The food presentation and food were quite good and flavorful. Menu was however somewhat limited.Special Features:
- Great date nightCbus4Dined on 6/26/2014We have now had two special anniversaries here. The menu is interesting, the cheese and wine is amazing, and the service was absolutely wonderful. They helped make a special night even more special.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 6/25/2014Outstanding food and service. Relaxed pace. - Just wish they could do something to dampen the noise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experience, great food.CJBadgeVIPDined on 6/24/2014This is a wonderful restaurant. Love the food, the service, and ambiance. Upon the recommendation of the maitre de, my party had a lovely table-shared cheese and charcuterie appetizer, then enjoyed individual appertizers, which were all delicious and expertly prepared. The Primi Piatti can be reduced to half size, if you are doing a full 4 courses, and the parpardelle with a lamb ragu that was added to evening's menu was exquisite (I should have had a full sized course and skipped the Secondi). The veal chop Milanese was perfect; moist and tender inside, crisp outside, accompanied with arugula. We skipped the dessert course, but I'm sure it would have been perfect, as well. Great Italian wine list. The Sagrantino we choose was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bice San Diegoluvfood27VIPDined on 6/20/2014I love this place. Have never had a bad meal. They also have a cheese bar that is to die for.Special Features:
- High quality Italian foodJoannaDKDined on 6/20/2014I had a wonderful 3-course dinner at the BICE. Starter, maim dish and dessert were excellent. Genuine Italian cuisine with a modern twist. Highly recommended. Next time I will be in San Diego, I will definately be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cheese barLab2013Dined on 6/15/2014the best ever cheese bar with match of jams and winesSpecial Features:
- Disappointed2LovebugsDined on 6/11/2014Last year, same date, the service and food was fabulous. This year, the noise was deafening, the service was basic needs met, the food average. We had requested, through Open Table, a quiet romantic table. We were seated between a table of 6 and 4. We were told the noisier table of 6 were leaving. Not true. Finally our server relocated us to the vacant side of the restaurant. It's really too bad. We drove down to San Diego from No CA because we loved BICE so much on our 30th anniversary. We won't be celebrating 32nd there. :(Special Features:
- Sold ExperiencejdaneseDined on 6/10/2014Had a business dinner at Bice and the food, drink and service were all on mark. Especially enjoyed the cheese selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal w/out of town guestsRowwrVIPDined on 6/6/2014We had an amazing meal at Bice on Friday night with our in-laws from San Francisco. Being foodies we wanted to take them to a place that can satisfy their refined palates. We chose Bice and were we in for a treat. The cheese counter was amazing. We sampled 3 wonderful Italian cheeses while also enjoying their trio of seafood tartars. Delicious. Then we enjoyed a great selection of their entrees. I had the Mano de Leon scallops. They were huge and cooked to perfection. This was all enjoyed with a great bottle of Brunello. Cheers to Bice.Special Features:
- The following 926 reviews are from the BICE - San Diego reviews archive.
- Great FoodDidyanneDined on 5/31/2014I have been dining at Bice several times a month since the day it opened. There have been many changes, but there is one constant--the great food of Mario and Francesca. Most restaurants have one or two dishes that appeal, at Bice, deciding from the many wonderful choices is hard. The service is great. The dining rooms are very comfortable. The bar is our favorite space.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good ItalianAlboresDined on 5/31/2014Great pasta, and excelent service the salads need work and very good wine listSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Remains a great place2aboutUVIPDined on 5/31/2014Second year running the San Diego Rock N Roll Marathon and second time going to BICE the night before the race. Food quality is excellent as is the service. This time I got one of the specials, Rigatoni with Swordfish and while the taste was great, I thought the portion size was small given the price point. Otherwise I would recommend the restaurant to about anyone as it is a good choice for a nicer Gaslamp option.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not very good serviceLindyDined on 5/30/2014There were only two of us dining. We saw our waiter only twice - once to give us the menus and once to hand us the bill. There was a large party that were seated behind us shortly after we arrived and all his attention went there. Another person stopped by to take our order but both the food and the drinks took forever to arrive. The food was okay nothing outstanding.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant, creative Italian fareTamaraDined on 5/29/2014This was my second visit to Bice for a work dinner. I knew I could count on the restaurant to deliver creative and delicious Italian food with professional service. The special appetizer of calamari with almond cream was outstanding.Special Features:
- 8144420400AlchemistDined on 5/23/2014The food was great and the staff was very attentive. However, being from the east (PA), I noticed that there was no veal on the menu. I know that this is the "left" coast and PETA reigns, but do you want some group deciding what you can and cannot eat? What's next the lightbulb and toilet tank police? Oh, there here already!Special Features:
- Fondly Remembered Good RestaurantdavidVIPDined on 5/23/2014We have been served several time with exquisite service, an excellent variety of food. The cheese plates were outstanding. The wine was also excellent. We have not enjoyed this experience often in town and will happily enjoy it again. Thanks for a great time and superior evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- grandslamhomerDined on 5/22/2014My wife and I returned to the restaurant last night and spent an 1 1/2 hours at the one of a kind Cheese Bar with host Ester. We went during Happy Hour so you can enjoy wonderful flavors of exotic cheeses from all over the world and taste $5.00 appetizers, wine and cocktails. We then had a very romantic dinner with an outstanding waiter Alex. Paulo is a great host and Ricky is a hard working member of the staff. Their unscale Real Italian Menu is Fantastic. Chef Mario came out of the kitchen to give us a hug during our visit and we can't wait to go back again ! A Must try on anyone's Bucket List !Special Features:
- Delicious foodstevereDined on 5/19/2014We have had a number of fine meals at Bice, but this one was exceptional. Thank you, Chef Mario. Server Guiseppe took great care of us. Try the 2008 Montecariano Amarone if they still have some - surprisingly soft tannins for a young Amarone hiding under a full bore layer of fruit extraction.Special Features:
- Decent, but priceyTheHunterDined on 5/16/2014Our waiter was terrific. Very knowledgeable and helpful. For an Italian restaurant the portions were on the small size. Meats and cheese appetizers were great, but the main pasta courses were okay.Special Features:
- Lovely restuarant. Big city feel.socalgirlVIPDined on 5/11/2014The pasta was just okay. Salmon was great. Cured meat and cheese plates are a treat.Special Features:
- Just an average restaurant.BeenThereDined on 5/10/2014Our experience was not one to be expected from a 4 star restaurant. The main dining room decor is uninspiring and the lighting is terrible. The service is almost "too attentive" and over sells the menu options. Worse, was two of the six entrees were already sold out and not available at 8pm on a Saturday! The food was average and uninspiring.
- Not worth the moneypickyfoodieDined on 5/10/2014Ordered trio of tartar for starters & they were both room temp. Room temp raw fish?! Split on the Branzino; one was cooked nicely & the other was overcooked. The pan seared sea scallops had the look of being pan seared but it did not have the mouth feel or taste of having been pan seared. The pork medallion was very salty and dry. Disappointed with service when the waiter and maitre d both argued with us about what dessert we ordered after the waiter brought the wrong thing. What happens to the customer is always right?! Maybe the waiter could not hear us since the restaurant was very noisy. Will not go back because food is not worth the money especially considering we have to add on $20 valet parking.
- Amazing Italian CuisineChopperDined on 5/10/2014Contemporary setting in the Gas Lamp district. Probably the best bruschetta and gnocchi I have ever had!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food was only fairOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/10/2014we had been there shortly after it opened, but the server was so poor that we avoided it in the interim. this night the service was excellent, but the food was only average, we are not likely to return
- PtlovesfoodVIPDined on 5/8/2014Out waiter was very helpful and very attentive. Food was just so so.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bice does not disappoint!PickyEaterDined on 5/3/2014I always have a great time at Bice! The food is exceptional and the staff very friendly and knowledgeable! I am never disappointed! One of my top favorite restaurants in San Diego.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BellamsantoshDined on 5/2/2014Reminds me of Tuscany as rabbit ravioli was good, trio of seafood app was awesome. Great service in a relaxed romantic modern black wall environment. Will be back!Special Features:
- Greatly Exceeded ExpectationsPaTravelerDined on 5/2/2014I took a group of associates to BICE for dinner while attending a business meeting in San Diego. From the initial reservation phone call to leaving the staff were friendly but professional. The cheese steward dazzled us with his knowedge and love of all things cheese. From my seat it isn't a job, it is his passion. Likewise our server Marco was outstanding. Starting with his wine recommendations and throughout the meal he steered us on a course to one of my most pleasable dining experiences. The food was even better than the outstanding service. My grilled swordfish was perfectly grilled, moist and tender yet thoroughly done. The eggplant parmesan was amazing, unlike I've ever had. I highly recommend BICE. Try it, you will not regret it!Special Features:
- Fine DiningJanniDined on 4/30/2014Delicious and excellent service. We loved the ambience and quiet decor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cheese Bar!plernerVIPDined on 4/26/2014I have now been to Bice 2 weekends in a row. It is one of my new favorite restaurants in San Diego because the food, service and ambience is outstanding. The most unique feature of Bice is the cheese bar where one can sit, taste cheese from a vast list divided by 'potency', choose from a selection of meats and enjoy a glass or bottle of fine wine. I've eaten the eggplant parmesan both times and it's the best preparation I've had anywhere. I put the noise level as energetic because the second time we were seated in a room that had three large parties so it was pretty noisy. The main dining room is quiet and quite lovely which is where I ate the first time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic Italian and innovativeMicheleDined on 4/20/2014We enjoyed the prix fixe Easter menu. The cold cuts and breads were excellent, with the bresaola dressed with olive oil and cress. I had a glass of Voveti Prosecco, elegant and dry; and a Super Tuscan to follow with the meal. The kale and farro salad was outstanding, likewise the burrata with grilled zucchini and cherry tomatoes. My husband thought the crab topping on his spinach gnocchi was superfluous but my lasagna with ragu was perfect. I make my own lasagne noodles and ragu so can appreciate the real thing. My pineapple carpaccio lacked flavor but the marinade with star anise was nice and the sorbet lovely. My husband loved his strawberry tiramisu.Special Features:
- Ignored for a hand gestureULJIVIPDined on 4/17/2014We were in the middle of ordering as our waiter suddenly LEFT without saying a word. He was in mid sentence when another diner with a large group at another table raised his hand, and he instantly stopped taking our order, and went to help that table. We then saw him pouring wine for the other table! Had my girlfriend not been starving I was more than ready to walk out. Towards the end of our meal, after I mentioned it to him, he seemed to genuinely feel bad about what happened and tried making it up to us. However we went to eat sushi at Bang Bang afterwards as my steak was not edible, and my girlfriends Cedar Plank Seabass was bland except for a strong fishy taste. In fairness the Buratta cheese appetizer was fairly good.Special Features:
- bugsJarrettDined on 4/13/2014My friend suggested to go to this place because it was his favorite food in San Diego when he lived here. The food was great; however, the reasturant was not. There were flies all over the place. They gave us the option to move but that didn't help. I saw other tables slapping the air so I wasnt the only one. I expected some sort of reduction on the bill and there was no compensation at all. I will pretty much tellj everyone I know to never go here.
- Wonderful evening.BreacDined on 4/12/2014The whole evening unfolded as it should at a restaurant of this calibre. Seated promptly, an attentive and knowledgeable waiter and well prepared food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian For A Change of PaceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/12/2014Traveling the globe, I don't think to order Lasagne at a restaurant. But, it was a nice alternative. It was a bit pricey, yet it should be expected in the Gas Lamp.I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinner at BICEPeterDined on 4/8/2014Just outstanding food, service, and attention to detail. Excellent explanation and recommendations of food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So soOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/6/2014Food was very ordinary. Not bad, but not great either.