Birch and Barley
1337 14th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20005Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Birch and Barley
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.birchandbarley.com/
- Phone: 2025672576
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday All Day Brunch: 11:00am-8:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Kyle Bailey
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact for more information.
A word from Birch and Barley
If you are unable to book a reservation through open table please feel free to join us at one of our non-reservation tables. We hold several tables for walk in guests, including all seating on our patio, weather permitting. Please be advised that we serve an All-Day Brunch Menu on Sundays through 8:00pm, with a couple supplemental dinner items offered after 5:00pm. Our normal bread service, dessert menu and Chef's Tasting Menu are not available at this time.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Birch and Barley - Best Restaurants in Logan Circle ›
Birch and Barley reviews from OpenTable diners
201 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (131)neighborhood gem (71)great for brunch (69)special occasion (64)hot spot (56)romantic (53)vibrant bar scene (38)great for outdoor dining (34)good for groups (27)notable wine list (18)great for lunch (15)late-night find (12)kid-friendly (5)scenic view (2)Show More
- Great Beer!!!FoggyBottomLocalDined on 5/14/2014While the food was good, Birch and Barley is all about the beer. Our server was attentive and seemed to know a lot about the beer. I mentioned that I was curious about a chocolate mint stout and the server said the mint was strong, as if he didn't really recommend it. I should've listened - it wasn't great. He could tell that I didn't like it and offered to replace it with something else (though, I declined and drank it). Though, no one in my party was particularly enthused with the appetizer he enjoyed. My father is gluten intolerant and both the waiter and the kitchen were very careful to avoid gluten; further, they had many gluten options. Overall, I enjoyed the restaurant and will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/14/2014Excellent experience. Will definitely be back again. Service was A+. Food was very very good. A few flavor profiles I didn't prefer but you can tell everything is well thought out and works together very well. Only reason I didn't go "Very Good" on the food was just preference. The prosciutto and fig pizza for example was very balanced but overall too sweet for me and the puree that the lamb sat on kind of overpowered the meat more than I would have liked. But again that's just preference since I like meat to kind of stand on its own or have accenting flavors on the side so I put a forkfull together to my taste. Minor preference things but overall excellent. I will definitely be back to try more of the menu and my wifes duck was fantastic.Special Features:
- so accomodating!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/13/2014Our friend has multiple food allergies and the waiter and service was outstanding! Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!!lisaopp21VIPDined on 5/11/2014Loved the food. Service was great. This was our first experience at B&B and everyone at our table loved the food. Everything is fresh and tasty. We were there for Mother's Day and my mom (from out of town) left feeling she had a very special brunch. The menu and food are unique yet not "weird". There is something for everyone. Can't wait to go back for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting ChoicesBirthdaypartyDined on 5/8/2014During our recent visit to Washington we were looking for places to dine with local atmosphere and Birch and Barley was a very good choice - the menu is certainly eclectic and the food is delicious (the chef's complimentary side dishes and the variety of fresh breads were top notch) - dining outdoors provided a good sense of life on 14th St - the service was very attentive - and the ChurchKey bar (over 550 beers) on the 2nd floor is a good place to start your visit (suggest asking for an explanation on the temperatures of the beer selections)Special Features:
- Inventive food, great beerOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/4/2014Although its prices are a bit high for the entrees, Birch and Barley remains one of our favorites. From the complimentary yummy breads (beer pretzels, biscuits and rolls) to the inventive and tasty entrees, we always enjoy the food -- and have trouble deciding between old favorites and daily specials. And the desserts are fabulous and very shareable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beer and DarknessadadVIPDined on 5/4/2014The food here is of the really great farm to table variety. The beer selection is amazing. The brunch and accompanying cocktails are yummy. The only thing is the lighting. I believe that it would be lovely at night, but for brunch you just keep wondering if they forgot to pay the electricity bill and are running the lights from some car battery in a closet. It's dark.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceLoganlocalDined on 5/4/2014The boozy brunch is definitely the way to go--2 fantastic, well-crafted cocktails (particularly loved their version of a bloody mary with Green Hat Gin), donut holes, a nice selection of entrees, and great coffee. The house-made sausage was a real treat. Portions are small, but fine. The service is friendly and efficient. My coffee cup was never empty. My only small suggestion would be to add a bit of lighting to the inside--brunch by candlelight made it difficult to even read the menu.Special Features:
- Spectacular for foodies, Beer loverDinerightDined on 5/3/2014Knowledgeable waitstaff, extensive beer list, awesome food. Make sure to get the beer tasting menu with the beer pairings- a truly palette opening experience. Anyone who is open to trying new foods with the expertly paired beer is in for a treat. They say that the entire table must get the tasting menu but they accommodated one of our group's gluten and shellfish allergies without sacrifice to the food, presentation, or enjoyment of the meal. It is difficult to park near the restaurant, so be prepared to take a taxi. We didn't eat there but there is dining at the open kitchen, so if you enjoy the production or at least want to be assured that the food is prepared safely, you can't go wrong.Special Features:
- Great mealOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/2/2014Birch and Barley was fantastic. I was nervous based on some just ok reviews, but the restaurant really exceeded my expectations. It's clear that the staff and kitchen really care about the ingredients, composition, and beer. Highly recommended. We're definitely going back!Special Features:
- Amazing Food, Odd Brunch AtmospheremultipurposeoneVIPDined on 4/27/2014The brunch menu is delicious and diverse. Loved in particular the egg/cheese/bacon dish as well as the sticky bun for 'dessert'. Service was OK, but not particularly warm. We found the atmosphere far too dark for a spring brunch, however. Exceptionally dim lighting should be reserved for the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KCOHENDined on 4/26/2014The knowledge of the servers is astounding and very impressive. We keep coming back here with visiting guests to introduce them to the BEST of the DC food/beer scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointingjenyjen77Dined on 4/26/2014The food was good, but not fantastic. I was upset when bacon appeared in my rice (I do not eat pork) even though it was not listed as an ingredient in the menu. When I asked the waitress, she said, "that's why I asked if there were any allergies." She asked if I wanted to order something else. I'm sorry, but I am not going to spend $30 on yet ANOTHER entree. And it was never mentioned again. I did not finish my meal and left the restaurant hungry after spending a lot of money.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/25/2014Cant' beat this restaurant for selection of beers, knowledge of service and quality of the food!Special Features:
- the Easter brunch testheyJudeDined on 4/20/2014Easter Sunday is second only to Mothers' Day for daunting brunch challenges. Restaurants are often overwhelmed, resulting in long waits, poor service and sub-par performance from the kitchen. Nevertheless, I dutifully made reservations for my family of 3 at Birch & Barley two months ahead of time, and braced myself. We arrived at 12:10 for a 12:15 reservation, and were promptly seated by a friendly host. As a waitress approached for drink orders, I began to relax. An hour later, we had enjoyed a wonderful brunch menu of fried chicken and waffles, french toast with bacon, and perfectly scrambled hen eggs with delectable and light hash brown patties. The mimosas and rum punch didn't hurt, and they know their way around an Irish coffee.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very impressednewvillageDined on 4/18/2014As soon as we received a couple of amazing spinach fritters compliments of the chef I knew we were in for a great dinner. Everything from the free corn bread (the best I've ever had despite living in Texas) to the lamb chop and green beans were incredibly fresh and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding !PersephoneDined on 4/18/20144 of us dined sumptuously at Birch and Barley. Our server, Robin, was friendly, helpful, and extremely knowledgable about the 500+beer list and all the menu choices. The duck with its sides of parsnip purée, wild rice pilaf and braided cherries was some of the most delicious I've ever had , including in Perigeaux. I can't wait to try something else!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but over-hyped.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/17/2014Overall the experience was good. The service was great and the selection of drinks was outstanding as you have access to the Churchkey menu. However, we found that the menu was extremely limited in both the number of dishes to choose from and the variety of dishes from which to choose. I'd go back, but I would definitely check out the menu first before going to make sure they were serving something I'd actually like to order.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superior in every wayOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/17/2014Each and ever person was warm, welcoming and acted as an excellent resources in all of our dining needs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Server for Great Bday DinnerAntonioRVIPDined on 4/16/2014Came here for a birthday dinner with 4 friends. Had a great server (blonde hair and very knowledgeable). The bread basket was a great start; also got the butcher's board. They were quick to ask about allergies which was nice as two of my dinner companions had nut allergies. Made great recommendations for beer. Had the bratburger - delicious. Friends got duck and loved it. End the dinner with the cookies and confections dessert - just wanted I wanted for my birthday. Only quibble - too dark to read the menus. Lovely dinner, lovely service, lovely celebration.Special Features:
- The Beer Tasting to die forKCDCDined on 4/16/2014Twice we have brought out of town guests here for the beer pairing menu and all of us were blown away. The knowledge of the staffers was amazing and the whole night was truly entertaining. This is what dining out is all about.Special Features:
- Awesome Food, Seating...EhLizkaDined on 4/13/2014I cannot recommend the good enough. Their bacon...it was a spiritual experience. That said, we were stuck at the back of the restaurant, no natural lighting and a nice view of the grating fluorescent lights in the kitchen. Next time I would ask to be seated in the front, and yes, despite my complaints I will definitely be going again. The food is amazing amazing amazingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Meal EverLeslieVIPDined on 4/12/2014Honestly. I am a foodie, and this was the best meal I think I have ever had. We started with the fig & prosciutto flat bread.... sweet and savory and wonderful! Then the complimentary homemade bread trio which included the most perfect biscuit known to man. My boyfriend had the lamb trio and I had the duck. Both were phenomenal. We finished with the confectionery sampler all the while drining our way through the extensive beer and wine lists. They are farm to table, and make everything in house. The wait staff was knowledgeable and friendly and gave great recommendations. I will definitely visit again next time I am in DC!Special Features:
- The food here is great!JGnDCDined on 4/3/2014The food was outstanding as usual (except for the thin mint on the "plate of childhood memories" dessert, which was practically inedible). We got the kampachi crudo, the lamb and pork entrees, and the brownie and other thing for dessert. It was a wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing beer list.. SomethingDootDined on 4/1/2014Amazing beer list.. Something like 500 available Downstairs you have the restaurant and upstairs the bar.. Good for a drink before or after dinner Have had dinner here before.. Food is good but the best bet is to go with the tasting menu Server comes and explains the dish once it arrivesSpecial Features:
- Brioche Sticky Bun the best!FindingFoodVIPDined on 3/30/2014Attended Birch and Barley with my daughter for Sunday Brunch. How could it go wrong when we began with their famous Brioche Sticky Bun, which was as amazing as everyone has said. Brunch was wonderful and we were lucky enough to be seated adjacent to the open kitchen which was a real plus for the "foodie" that I am. I had a substitution request that was easily accommodated and our server was attentive yet gave us our space. Even though the restaurant was full, and walk in guests were waiting, we never felt rushed. I look forward to returning to try dinner as I understand that is wonderful as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birch & Barley Tasting MenuOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/29/2014We had a great time. Enjoyed the tasting menu and beer pairings very much. Staff was attentive and knowledgable. Would have liked to have the restaurant a little brighter so that I could appreciate the beautifully plated food. (It was a dark gloomy day though)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too many mistakesjid963Dined on 3/29/2014The kitchen screwed up both the appetizer and the entree. With the entree it was the correct protein but the rest of the plate was completely different than what was described on the menu. This was especially disconcerting to me since our waiter took a long time to explain that the menu is updated daily to incorporate what's fresh and available from local farms. Since our reservation was for right when dinner service started I can't see how any substitutions would be required. I'm hoping it was just a busy night for them, and they struggled a bit, because some of the flavors were really very good, especially the dessert. They are almost good enough to bring me back over and over.
- Terrific food and great serviceMelarlingtonDined on 3/28/2014I really enjoyed the food here--my salad with homemade cottage cheese was amazing. We went for the flat breads and they were yummy. My only complaint is how dark the restaurant is. I was using the flashlight app on my phone to read the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous FindOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/28/2014A fellow passenger on our flight in to DC suggested this place, and we were thrilled to have the rec! Wonderful place, fabum]lous meal, attentive, knowledgeable service. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food amazing beer no lightOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/27/2014I loved the food ( I had two appetizers), the beer was amazing (I had 7 different 4 oz glasses), the service was excellent, but the lighting was terrible. I waitstaff had to use the candle on the table to show me the beer list. I tried the flashlight app on my phone, but it looked like a spotlight in the dimness of the restaurant. Please increase your lumens, I promise the ambiance will still be good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday brunchDC24Dined on 3/23/2014The only brunch reservation available was 2:30 which concerned me a bit (I thought it was late) but after we arrived, I was happy to have eaten later. The noise in this restaurant is the only negative thing about Birch and Barley. In the summertime I always dine outside but for winter brunch we didn't have a choice. I'm glad we had a later reservation because the brunch crowd started to dissipate and by the time we had finished most of the brunch crowd was gone. We were also seated in the back near the kitchen which was remarkably quieter than the front (and there is more light). Our food was AMAZING. Our service was AMAZING. I loved every minute and would definitely go back..for a later reservation of course!
- Worth the tripFood4lifeDined on 3/23/2014We live in VA, so it can be a bit of a challenge to get to the neighborhood (more of a challenge to park, actually). Parking is probably my biggest knock on the place, but they seated me while I waited for my husband to park and never made me feel like I was monopolizing the table. . We've only gone for brunch but the food was very memorable (and probably more generous portions than I need, but that works out nicely for my husband). Fresh ingredients, well prepared and flavorful. Their Bloody Mary's are rather special as well, as I find them lacking in most places. It can be rather dark inside, but that's a product of the space. However, we'll be making the trip back out soon!Special Features:
- The food was good, presentationOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/22/2014The food was good, presentation outstanding. The atmosphere was outstanding, the right mix of classy and comfortable. The starters were great, the main course was good but nothing special. I will go back and try something different for the main course that may highlight their culinary expertise (not much you can do with duck).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great birthday dinner!BelleceeDined on 3/22/2014Went here with a group of 8 for a birthday dinner and had a great time. The service was outstanding -- fast and very knowledgeable. The bread plate was delicious, as was the pappardelle and cotechino flatbread. Everyone enjoyed their food and drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For craft beer lovers this is it!JBGBDined on 3/21/2014Celebrating my husband's 50th, we had the tasting menu paired with beer tasting selections and it exceeded all of our expectations. Our server was very attentive and described each course and beer selection in detail. The food was delicious. The tiny portions were perfect and each course was beautifully presented. They modified the menu to accommodate our vegetarian preference. But it was the pairing with the beers that made this dinner stand out. We sampled ten different craft beers throughout the evening and our server gave us plenty of time between courses to enjoy the experience. I can't say when I've a better dinner out. My husband was thrilled.Special Features:
- Birthday Beer CelebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/19/2014Took my beer loving husband here for his birthday celebration and we both loved it! Beer offerings were amazing and food was terrific including the fabulous cheese tasting. Already recommended it to a friend for her husband's birthday celebration!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as fabulously and edgyDannyzzzzzzzzDined on 3/15/2014as past dining experiences there. Perhaps lost some of the energy and luster? Perhaps less of a choice of seasonal/local options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A perfect romantic night outStarpickleDined on 3/15/2014My fiance and I love this place! We come to Birch and Barley for special occasions -- most notably our anniversaries, and the experience here is not to be missed. The interior is beautiful yet understated. The staff was warm and welcoming - everyone took special care of us and wanted to share in our celebration. And the food.... the food was simply amazing! B&B earns our highest praise with their great beer selection, very knowledgeable staff, and perfect food preparation. We can't wait to come back with family!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expected MoreNJfromNCDined on 3/14/2014This restaurant ranked high in DC hot spots with good reviews. We took our 3 younger boys with us and arrived at 6:15 on a Friday night after a day of sightseeing. The menu is limited. The lamb was good but small in size. Not a lot of options for young kids. I ordered a flatbread that sounded delicious but wasn't. We were hoping for a better experience. The staff was very friendly and the beer selection awesome. This may be a great place to drink beer and hang out but for the money, there are better options. The dessert, however, was a hit!Special Features: