2200 Oxford Street
Berkeley, CA 94704Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.gatherrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 5108090400
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: 5:00 - 10:00 pm every evening
Weekday Lunch: 11:30 am - 2:00 pm Monday through Friday
Weekend Brunch: 10 am - 2:30 pm Saturday and Sunday
Reservations accepted for Lunch, Brunch and Dinner.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, American, Californian
- Executive Chef: Sean Baker
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: The first organic catering company in the country:
We cater for groups of up to 250 people in the David Brower Center in Downtown Berkeley.
We cater off-site groups upon request, e-mail email@example.com to inquire.
- Private Party Facilities: Please call for details.
- Private Party Contact: Ask for a manager 5108090400
- Special Events: Parties of 7-12 may book 1st seating and 2nd seating tables by phone. Groups of 12 to 18 may arrange seasonal prix fixe menus a week or more in advance, Sunday-Wednesday only. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with your party size, preferences and budget.
- Cross Street: Allston Way
- Public Transit: Downtown Berkeley BART (1 block away!)
AC Transit to Downtown Berkeley
Ample bicycle parking
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There is a garage in the building ($4 nighttime, entrance at 2161 Kittredge) and 3 other nearby public lots including the garage at Zellerbach Hall
A word from Gather
• Utilizing techniques inspired by classic culinary craftsmanship, Gather in downtown Berkeley features organic local produce, pizzas, sustainable seafood, and humanely-raised meats that showcase the uniquely abundant environment of Northern California- with 50% vegetarian offerings. A totally organic cocktail list, innovative desserts, and an affordable wine list crafted by national award winner Christie Dufault are served up in a warm ambiance informed by honey hued reclaimed woods literally “gathered” from the surrounding area. Directly across from the UC campus, it is conveniently located in the very green David Brower Center; 5 minutes from Zellerbach Hall and Berkeley Rep.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Gather - Best Restaurants in Berkeley ›
Gather reviews from OpenTable diners
280 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (199)neighborhood gem (108)special occasion (92)great for lunch (65)great for outdoor dining (55)great for brunch (54)good for groups (46)hot spot (34)romantic (27)kid-friendly (23)notable wine list (12)vibrant bar scene (8)scenic view (7)late-night find (6)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/22/2014Super tasty food and delightful presentation. Great for vegetarians. thought the prices were pretty reasonable too. Good service. i'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cool decor and delish food!NYjoeDined on 6/20/2014Worth the reseravation, this Berkeley natural eatery is both cool and delicious.The mushroom sandwich was amazing ...and dairy free. Plentiful servings and God friendly service.Special Features:
- Overpriced.Lightninglu10Dined on 6/18/2014Paid 70$ for a 30$ meal. Food is okay, but definitely not worth the price. Will not return.Special Features:
- Gather does Berkeley proudHappyDiningOutDined on 6/18/2014Gather definitely reminds me that I am in Berkeley and not some other place where attention to the freshest, locally grown food is not always the highest priority. I was impressed by what I am sure were fresh, local grown vegetables. We had a hamburger (I know, how could we?) that was perfectly cooked and ridiculously delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- exceptionally creative nad tastyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/17/2014good approach to food combinations and unique dining experienceSpecial Features:
- Food great. Noise level, ouch!MusicMajorDined on 6/17/2014My husband and I dined on Tuesday night, which should have been relatively quiet. However, this restaurant is so popular and so good that it was quite full. That meant tables set very close together, and a high noise level. Both of these factors were why Gather didn't rate 5 stars. We each chose a different red wine by the glass. The pours were reasonable in size, although pricey. The red "on tap" was actually fine both as a sipping wine and with food. Both of our dishes were delicious. The beet salad was one of the very best I've ever had. Beware, however, of the slight spiciness, due to a bit of chili oil. The Fontinella pizza was delicious. I'm a vegetarian, but my husband eats meat, so we asked for sausage on half. Perfect.
- bellYDined on 6/15/2014Lovely lovely staff; very friendly and accomodating. The food - inventive, exciting and satisfying. We came with our 3.5 year oldm and really benefited from the fact that items on the menu were equally fit for a picky young eater as well two seasoned adult foodies.Special Features:
- Foodie5Foodie5VIPDined on 6/14/2014Fantastic meal. Was disappointed that the "Charcuterie" was no longer on the menu but our adorable waiter suggested dishes from the "Garden" section of the menu which was very similar to the charcuterie but larger portions, enough to share, unlike its predecessor. We ordered three of the dishes and they were all fabulous. We love this restaurant and usually always go before going to Berkeley Rep or the Aurora Theater. The food has always been great and the service is wonderful.Special Features:
- Awesome foodCutieCocoaDined on 6/13/2014The food there was delicious. The noise level was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ahh-mazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/11/2014Last minute dinner plans with friends turned into a successful night! Food here is amazing!!! They had a variety of selections and this place definitely can cater to anyone. Wine on tap was delicious. Our waiter was really friendly and funny! I'll definitely be coming back! :)Special Features:
- A bit to pleased with itselfOaklandDennisVIPDined on 6/8/2014The food was good, but there wasn't much variety on the menu. Swordfish was smothered in stuff that tasted fine but blotted out all taste of the fish. Noise level inside pretty high, but the patio is very pleasant.Special Features:
- GathergoodbutdanlVIPDined on 6/7/2014Good food, good ambience, good energy, but easy to talk. Recommend mussels, sausage pizza. Very limited, but quite good wines by the glass. Avoid the table next to the glasses, silverware.Special Features:
- Everything was excellentcanyonkarenDined on 6/7/2014From the cocktails through dessert, we loved it all. Ordered: wild arugula salad, charcuterie platter, marinated beets, spicy tomato pizza, strawberry/citrus sorbet and chocolate/mint ice cream. And the service was very good.Special Features:
- Off on serviceEatingmywaythroughlifeVIPDined on 6/6/2014Pizza took 1.5 hours due to a problem with oven. Waiter suggested order for dishes, then they came out way differently. The staff were very friendly, comped pizza, however experience was not great overall. 2 hours for salads and pizza. Also they don't have veg charcuterie now, best dish gone.Special Features:
- Gather needs more waitstaff!HungryWolfDined on 6/6/2014Waiter was clearly new to his job and was assigned a section of 10-12 tables. You can imagine how poor the service was. So bad it was comical (unless you were really hungry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something for everyoneccccDined on 6/2/2014Feeds a range of people, from gluten-free to vegan, to pure carnivores. It's nice having something so fancy so close to campus. Food is great. Service is attentive but not obtrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 2253 reviews are from the Gather reviews archive.
- special occasion dinner at GatherblossomDined on 6/1/2014Had the kale salad. It was good, but really overpriced at $12. The beet salad was tasty but small and also expensive. The main dish, I think called "Panisse with chick peas" was delicious. Generous portion, unique, smoky flavors, excellent. Pistachio cake was very good, but, at the risk of sounding repetitive, over-priced, IMHO...It's a great place, but you have to be prepared for the prices.Special Features:
- Wholesome eatingPJDivaVIPDined on 6/1/2014Whenever I have brunch at Gather, I always feel that I'm getting wholesome and handmade food. (Isn't it funny that some restaurants make you feel that you've received processed food?) I had the walnut leviathan French toast with walnuts and bing cherries. It was delicious, though, by the end of the second slice, my teeth were starting to hurt from the sugar in the syrup. But it was yummy. We offset the sweetness with a side order of bacon. Their coffee is bold and hearty, just the way I like it. I'll be back for my next wholesome meal here.Special Features:
- LitaDined on 5/31/2014I have wanted to dine here many times but have not planned it enough in advance as it gets booked up fast. We ordered the Marinated beet salad which was heavenly and the chickpea/lentil dish (I forget the real name) this had huge flavor! It was plated rather oddly- all the food to one side of the dish but the flavor WOW made me forget to ask why. My sister had the kale salad which she found to be unlike any kale dish she had ever had and the hamburger as she was curious what a sustainable burger would be like- she liked it very much. We were too full for dessert but ordered cappuccinos instead...the waiter lit a candle on my coffee saucer for a special touch. The caps were wonderful too.Special Features:
- Fabulous food, first-class serviceellendDined on 5/31/2014Every bite was perfect. Our server Jed was a gem--warm, friendly, very professional and knowledgeable.Special Features:
- Kale salad made a better side dishFunfayeDined on 5/30/2014I am vegetarian, my husband is not. That's why I thought Gather would be a great choice. I often have a salad for lunch and the kale salad with pumpkin seeds sounded good. Well, it would have made a good side dish (for 2), but was not what I think of as a salad. The big pile of kale on the plate was cooked. Other than a few pumpkin seeds, that was the salad - cooked kale. They did served a plate of bread when asked, but I'm sure the stomach ache that I experienced later, was due to eating so much kale at one time. My husband was happy with his short rib sandwich which was served with a lovely little salad. I should have had the vegan pizza.Special Features:
- Second visit as good as the firstJudesDined on 5/29/2014A friend and I had dinner last Thursday night. For both of us, it was a second visit. Her first had not been that great because the restaurant was so new. She came within the first week or two and service was extremely slow! My first visit had been great about a month ago so I convinced her to give it another try. She was glad she did. We had wonderful starters and shared the chicken dinner. I enjoyed a "Shrub" - a new experience, the ginger one, and it was great. Our waiter was extremely attentive.Special Features:
- YumOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/29/2014Great food, great service -- 3rd time here. A reliable Berkeley institution especially good for out of town guests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our first time at GatherCamdonDined on 5/29/2014Our meal at Gather was pretty great. 5:30 PM Thursday, the place was practically empty. but gradually filled up. With only one table our waiter was friendly and gave us as much attention and charm as we wanted, explaining the dishes and some unfamiliar ingredients. He steered us well. Squash blossom pizza w. pancetta was excellent. So were asparagus, olives, muscles, and the hamburgers (delicious). They have a large offering of non-alcoholic drinks. Stick to the lemonade or green apple. Cranberry w. douglas fir was just weird. The misses were the flavored cashews where the spice overpowered the nuts, and the forbidden rice. It's an OK option for vegetarians, but nothing special (although the most expensive entree on the menu).Special Features:
- Terrible ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/26/2014Our waiter was great, but the chef was difficult and made our experience a negative one. My aunt, who has a gluten allergy, was told that they could make any sandwich without bread, but when she selected a sandwich she was told every sandwich except the one she selected could be made without bread. I ordered the grilled cheese sandwich, which clearly says that it comes with braised green onions on it. When my sandwich arrived, it did not have greens on it so I mentioned that to the waiter. He went to check with the kitchen and was told that the greens were on the sandwich, but I "just couldn't see them." Huh?! I could go on, but in a nutshell, the chef was a complete jerk for no reason.
- BrunchAlExVIPDined on 5/25/2014Those pancakes are really good. And the cashew pizza is a usual order for us although the dough has been inconsistent lately. My last visit it was perfect. Gather is an awesome place that has something for everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pegasusVIPDined on 5/24/2014I was led to believe it was really special--but it wasn't.Special Features:
- Vanishing charcuterie!UCity63Dined on 5/24/2014What happened to the vegan charcuterie? Over the years their trademark vegan charcuterie has gotten smaller and smaller, and now it has vanished completely! This is a big mistake for this half vegan/half regular restaurant next to UC Berkeley and downtown. Other portions have gotten smaller, as well, such as the kale salad, which was also way too vinegary this time. The half chicken, usually outstanding, juicy on the inside and crisp on the outside, was very Unremarkable this time. However, the split pea soup was as wonderful as ever, and several of the hors oeuvres were excellent, and harkened back to the missing charcuterie. House-made ice creams were also outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best!djrachmanDined on 5/23/2014Gather is a gem of a restaurant. Very unique, very green. Great for vegetarians. It's simple but elegant. The pizza's are really delicious, specifically the Fontinella, and the Spicy Tomato. The Kale salad is superb as well.
- DisappointingLocalDined on 5/20/2014The location and ambiance (big windows, not terribly noisy) are wonderful. Service (two separate occasions) was slow, petulant, seemingly untrained so baffling. Presentation of dishes was lovely, but the food very disappointing. We are very adventurous diners with a broad palate, so we were intrigued by the menu items, but ultimately very disappointed. A sauteed greens dish was so vinegary and peppery that it was inedible. The vinegar based cocktail sounded intriguing, but was in fact terrible. Our main dishes took a very long time despite the fact the restaurant was only 2/3 full. The wine was nice, but the waiter not helpful in selection.
- disappointing (again). won't returnJamieVIPDined on 5/20/2014We loved Gather when we first dined there seven years ago, when our oldest was a freshman at Cal. But with each subsequent visit (once a year), the service steadily declined while the prices seemed to rise. The last straw for us was Tuesday night, when our family celebrated our daughter's graduation from Cal. The service was terrible, there was sediment in our water glasses that took the servers ten minutes to address (ewww...), the food was mediocre AND they no longer served what had been the best item on the menu -- the vegan charcuterie platter. There are so many other wonderful restaurants in Berkeley where you can get great vegan options along with non-veg that we won't be gathering at Gather again.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/20/2014excellent selection of vegetarian and vegan dishes, very well prepared. Waiter was extra helpful and charming.
- Flavorful, creative, missing a favveglocavoreDined on 5/19/2014As usual everything was excellent. But a Gather signature dish that we eagerly anticipated, the one dish we raved about to all of our friends, and the one which kept us coming back regularly, was no longer on the menu: The Vegan Charcuterie. After we lifted our heads back up after our disappointment, we ordered another appetizer with much less enthusiasm. That appetizer, a small plate with asparagus, tasted good, but it could no even come close to what we were missing (please bring it back!). Nonetheless, our entrees, wine and dessert were all excellent. My husband said his dish was the best entree he has had at Gather, yet. I had a really good vegetarian dish with black rice, intense flavors and a variety of spring vegetables.Special Features:
- Go to Restaurant in East BayLizToddVIPDined on 5/19/2014Often book my CEO in here since it's local and never disappoints. The service is wonderful and the food extremely fresh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gather at GatherFishDined on 5/19/2014We had a great midweek lunch on the lovely patio at Gather. We opted for the patio because the sound level inside the restaurant is borderline-roaring - so if you want to talk, go outside. There you will find the service to be perfect - real people -- smart, funny, ultra-friendly and competent. The salad and sandwiches were fabulous -- the perfect mid-day meal with great ambiance. A little pricey, but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional nightUpSwingdancerDined on 5/18/2014We went to celebrate a birthday and again Gather offered a memorable experience. We had 2 appetizers and a pizza...loved everything. At the end of the meal, the waiter brought over a sweet cup of sorbet with a candle. Nice touch. We will be back!!!!Special Features:
- Go with a group!SharonDined on 5/16/2014So you can try one another's dishes. The food is creative here. The kale salad is a family favorite--even with my 15 year old son. Our other favorites are the pizzas (must try with egg), arugula with dates; black rice and mussels. We have had the chicken on another occasion--it was great. Here though, the vegetables really shine. Beer and wine selection is solid. While our son has now graduated from CAL, we will find our way back.Special Features:
- Nice SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/15/2014Moved out of the dorms... nice way to celebrate! Lovely food, friendly staff and great location. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Biggest disappointment of the yearUCgradVIPDined on 5/13/2014We had tried Gather when it first opened, and were left to cool our heels at our table for 30 minutes. We gave it another chance Tuesday and the results were not even that good. The service was grudging--the waiter is way too hip to have his job. The wines by the glass were unappetizing--the recommended selection was too sweet. My burger was good but over-cooked. The price, including bacon, was $18. My wife's Forbidden Rice was a tasteless glob on her plate. Cost $24!! And the noise level is horrendous.
- Dinner at GatherTomatoloverDined on 5/13/2014This experience was disappointing compared to our previous meals. The burger was well-charred instead of medium, the soup came with the nut garnish we had requested be left off, and our desserts arrived at least 5 minutes apart. It also felt noisier than we'd remembered. However they removed the burger from our bill, they were able to scramble an egg on the side for our son, and they knew which dishes had various allergens in them. The swordfish was nothing special but the vegetables with chick peas that came with it were excellent. The kids enjoyed their pizza. We still like going to Gather a couple of times a year so we concluded that we would eat vegetarian next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.