2200 Oxford Street
Berkeley, CA 94704Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.gatherrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 5108090400
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: 5:00 - 10:00 pm every evening
Weekday Lunch: 11:30 am - 2:00 pm Monday through Friday
Weekend Brunch: 10 am - 2:30 pm Saturday and Sunday
Reservations accepted for Lunch, Brunch and Dinner.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, American, Californian
- Executive Chef: Sean Baker
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: The first organic catering company in the country:
We cater for groups of up to 250 people in the David Brower Center in Downtown Berkeley.
We cater off-site groups upon request, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire.
- Private Party Facilities: Please call for details.
- Private Party Contact: Ask for a manager 5108090400
- Special Events: Parties of 7-12 may book 1st seating and 2nd seating tables by phone. Groups of 12 to 18 may arrange seasonal prix fixe menus a week or more in advance, Sunday-Wednesday only. E-mail email@example.com with your party size, preferences and budget.
- Cross Street: Allston Way
- Public Transit: Downtown Berkeley BART (1 block away!)
AC Transit to Downtown Berkeley
Ample bicycle parking
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There is a garage in the building ($4 nighttime, entrance at 2161 Kittredge) and 3 other nearby public lots including the garage at Zellerbach Hall
A word from Gather
• Utilizing techniques inspired by classic culinary craftsmanship, Gather in downtown Berkeley features organic local produce, pizzas, sustainable seafood, and humanely-raised meats that showcase the uniquely abundant environment of Northern California- with 50% vegetarian offerings. A totally organic cocktail list, innovative desserts, and an affordable wine list crafted by national award winner Christie Dufault are served up in a warm ambiance informed by honey hued reclaimed woods literally “gathered” from the surrounding area. Directly across from the UC campus, it is conveniently located in the very green David Brower Center; 5 minutes from Zellerbach Hall and Berkeley Rep.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Gather - Best Restaurants in Berkeley ›
Gather reviews from OpenTable diners
288 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (204)neighborhood gem (105)special occasion (88)great for lunch (72)great for brunch (59)great for outdoor dining (53)good for groups (48)hot spot (32)romantic (26)kid-friendly (24)notable wine list (14)vibrant bar scene (10)scenic view (7)late-night find (5)Show More
- Everything was excellentcanyonkarenDined on 6/7/2014From the cocktails through dessert, we loved it all. Ordered: wild arugula salad, charcuterie platter, marinated beets, spicy tomato pizza, strawberry/citrus sorbet and chocolate/mint ice cream. And the service was very good.Special Features:
- Off on serviceEatingmywaythroughlifeVIPDined on 6/6/2014Pizza took 1.5 hours due to a problem with oven. Waiter suggested order for dishes, then they came out way differently. The staff were very friendly, comped pizza, however experience was not great overall. 2 hours for salads and pizza. Also they don't have veg charcuterie now, best dish gone.Special Features:
- Gather needs more waitstaff!HungryWolfDined on 6/6/2014Waiter was clearly new to his job and was assigned a section of 10-12 tables. You can imagine how poor the service was. So bad it was comical (unless you were really hungry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something for everyoneccccDined on 6/2/2014Feeds a range of people, from gluten-free to vegan, to pure carnivores. It's nice having something so fancy so close to campus. Food is great. Service is attentive but not obtrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- special occasion dinner at GatherblossomDined on 6/1/2014Had the kale salad. It was good, but really overpriced at $12. The beet salad was tasty but small and also expensive. The main dish, I think called "Panisse with chick peas" was delicious. Generous portion, unique, smoky flavors, excellent. Pistachio cake was very good, but, at the risk of sounding repetitive, over-priced, IMHO...It's a great place, but you have to be prepared for the prices.Special Features:
- Wholesome eatingPJDivaVIPDined on 6/1/2014Whenever I have brunch at Gather, I always feel that I'm getting wholesome and handmade food. (Isn't it funny that some restaurants make you feel that you've received processed food?) I had the walnut leviathan French toast with walnuts and bing cherries. It was delicious, though, by the end of the second slice, my teeth were starting to hurt from the sugar in the syrup. But it was yummy. We offset the sweetness with a side order of bacon. Their coffee is bold and hearty, just the way I like it. I'll be back for my next wholesome meal here.Special Features:
- LitaDined on 5/31/2014I have wanted to dine here many times but have not planned it enough in advance as it gets booked up fast. We ordered the Marinated beet salad which was heavenly and the chickpea/lentil dish (I forget the real name) this had huge flavor! It was plated rather oddly- all the food to one side of the dish but the flavor WOW made me forget to ask why. My sister had the kale salad which she found to be unlike any kale dish she had ever had and the hamburger as she was curious what a sustainable burger would be like- she liked it very much. We were too full for dessert but ordered cappuccinos instead...the waiter lit a candle on my coffee saucer for a special touch. The caps were wonderful too.Special Features:
- Fabulous food, first-class serviceellendDined on 5/31/2014Every bite was perfect. Our server Jed was a gem--warm, friendly, very professional and knowledgeable.Special Features:
- Kale salad made a better side dishFunfayeDined on 5/30/2014I am vegetarian, my husband is not. That's why I thought Gather would be a great choice. I often have a salad for lunch and the kale salad with pumpkin seeds sounded good. Well, it would have made a good side dish (for 2), but was not what I think of as a salad. The big pile of kale on the plate was cooked. Other than a few pumpkin seeds, that was the salad - cooked kale. They did served a plate of bread when asked, but I'm sure the stomach ache that I experienced later, was due to eating so much kale at one time. My husband was happy with his short rib sandwich which was served with a lovely little salad. I should have had the vegan pizza.Special Features:
- Second visit as good as the firstJudesDined on 5/29/2014A friend and I had dinner last Thursday night. For both of us, it was a second visit. Her first had not been that great because the restaurant was so new. She came within the first week or two and service was extremely slow! My first visit had been great about a month ago so I convinced her to give it another try. She was glad she did. We had wonderful starters and shared the chicken dinner. I enjoyed a "Shrub" - a new experience, the ginger one, and it was great. Our waiter was extremely attentive.Special Features:
- YumOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/29/2014Great food, great service -- 3rd time here. A reliable Berkeley institution especially good for out of town guests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our first time at GatherCamdonDined on 5/29/2014Our meal at Gather was pretty great. 5:30 PM Thursday, the place was practically empty. but gradually filled up. With only one table our waiter was friendly and gave us as much attention and charm as we wanted, explaining the dishes and some unfamiliar ingredients. He steered us well. Squash blossom pizza w. pancetta was excellent. So were asparagus, olives, muscles, and the hamburgers (delicious). They have a large offering of non-alcoholic drinks. Stick to the lemonade or green apple. Cranberry w. douglas fir was just weird. The misses were the flavored cashews where the spice overpowered the nuts, and the forbidden rice. It's an OK option for vegetarians, but nothing special (although the most expensive entree on the menu).Special Features:
- Terrible ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/26/2014Our waiter was great, but the chef was difficult and made our experience a negative one. My aunt, who has a gluten allergy, was told that they could make any sandwich without bread, but when she selected a sandwich she was told every sandwich except the one she selected could be made without bread. I ordered the grilled cheese sandwich, which clearly says that it comes with braised green onions on it. When my sandwich arrived, it did not have greens on it so I mentioned that to the waiter. He went to check with the kitchen and was told that the greens were on the sandwich, but I "just couldn't see them." Huh?! I could go on, but in a nutshell, the chef was a complete jerk for no reason.
- BrunchAlExVIPDined on 5/25/2014Those pancakes are really good. And the cashew pizza is a usual order for us although the dough has been inconsistent lately. My last visit it was perfect. Gather is an awesome place that has something for everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pegasusVIPDined on 5/24/2014I was led to believe it was really special--but it wasn't.Special Features:
- Vanishing charcuterie!UCity63Dined on 5/24/2014What happened to the vegan charcuterie? Over the years their trademark vegan charcuterie has gotten smaller and smaller, and now it has vanished completely! This is a big mistake for this half vegan/half regular restaurant next to UC Berkeley and downtown. Other portions have gotten smaller, as well, such as the kale salad, which was also way too vinegary this time. The half chicken, usually outstanding, juicy on the inside and crisp on the outside, was very Unremarkable this time. However, the split pea soup was as wonderful as ever, and several of the hors oeuvres were excellent, and harkened back to the missing charcuterie. House-made ice creams were also outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best!djrachmanDined on 5/23/2014Gather is a gem of a restaurant. Very unique, very green. Great for vegetarians. It's simple but elegant. The pizza's are really delicious, specifically the Fontinella, and the Spicy Tomato. The Kale salad is superb as well.
- The following 2240 reviews are from the Gather reviews archive.
- DisappointingLocalDined on 5/20/2014The location and ambiance (big windows, not terribly noisy) are wonderful. Service (two separate occasions) was slow, petulant, seemingly untrained so baffling. Presentation of dishes was lovely, but the food very disappointing. We are very adventurous diners with a broad palate, so we were intrigued by the menu items, but ultimately very disappointed. A sauteed greens dish was so vinegary and peppery that it was inedible. The vinegar based cocktail sounded intriguing, but was in fact terrible. Our main dishes took a very long time despite the fact the restaurant was only 2/3 full. The wine was nice, but the waiter not helpful in selection.
- disappointing (again). won't returnJamieVIPDined on 5/20/2014We loved Gather when we first dined there seven years ago, when our oldest was a freshman at Cal. But with each subsequent visit (once a year), the service steadily declined while the prices seemed to rise. The last straw for us was Tuesday night, when our family celebrated our daughter's graduation from Cal. The service was terrible, there was sediment in our water glasses that took the servers ten minutes to address (ewww...), the food was mediocre AND they no longer served what had been the best item on the menu -- the vegan charcuterie platter. There are so many other wonderful restaurants in Berkeley where you can get great vegan options along with non-veg that we won't be gathering at Gather again.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/20/2014excellent selection of vegetarian and vegan dishes, very well prepared. Waiter was extra helpful and charming.
- Flavorful, creative, missing a favveglocavoreDined on 5/19/2014As usual everything was excellent. But a Gather signature dish that we eagerly anticipated, the one dish we raved about to all of our friends, and the one which kept us coming back regularly, was no longer on the menu: The Vegan Charcuterie. After we lifted our heads back up after our disappointment, we ordered another appetizer with much less enthusiasm. That appetizer, a small plate with asparagus, tasted good, but it could no even come close to what we were missing (please bring it back!). Nonetheless, our entrees, wine and dessert were all excellent. My husband said his dish was the best entree he has had at Gather, yet. I had a really good vegetarian dish with black rice, intense flavors and a variety of spring vegetables.Special Features:
- Go to Restaurant in East BayLizToddVIPDined on 5/19/2014Often book my CEO in here since it's local and never disappoints. The service is wonderful and the food extremely fresh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gather at GatherFishDined on 5/19/2014We had a great midweek lunch on the lovely patio at Gather. We opted for the patio because the sound level inside the restaurant is borderline-roaring - so if you want to talk, go outside. There you will find the service to be perfect - real people -- smart, funny, ultra-friendly and competent. The salad and sandwiches were fabulous -- the perfect mid-day meal with great ambiance. A little pricey, but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional nightUpSwingdancerDined on 5/18/2014We went to celebrate a birthday and again Gather offered a memorable experience. We had 2 appetizers and a pizza...loved everything. At the end of the meal, the waiter brought over a sweet cup of sorbet with a candle. Nice touch. We will be back!!!!Special Features:
- Go with a group!SharonDined on 5/16/2014So you can try one another's dishes. The food is creative here. The kale salad is a family favorite--even with my 15 year old son. Our other favorites are the pizzas (must try with egg), arugula with dates; black rice and mussels. We have had the chicken on another occasion--it was great. Here though, the vegetables really shine. Beer and wine selection is solid. While our son has now graduated from CAL, we will find our way back.Special Features:
- Nice SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/15/2014Moved out of the dorms... nice way to celebrate! Lovely food, friendly staff and great location. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Biggest disappointment of the yearUCgradVIPDined on 5/13/2014We had tried Gather when it first opened, and were left to cool our heels at our table for 30 minutes. We gave it another chance Tuesday and the results were not even that good. The service was grudging--the waiter is way too hip to have his job. The wines by the glass were unappetizing--the recommended selection was too sweet. My burger was good but over-cooked. The price, including bacon, was $18. My wife's Forbidden Rice was a tasteless glob on her plate. Cost $24!! And the noise level is horrendous.
- Dinner at GatherTomatoloverDined on 5/13/2014This experience was disappointing compared to our previous meals. The burger was well-charred instead of medium, the soup came with the nut garnish we had requested be left off, and our desserts arrived at least 5 minutes apart. It also felt noisier than we'd remembered. However they removed the burger from our bill, they were able to scramble an egg on the side for our son, and they knew which dishes had various allergens in them. The swordfish was nothing special but the vegetables with chick peas that came with it were excellent. The kids enjoyed their pizza. We still like going to Gather a couple of times a year so we concluded that we would eat vegetarian next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Good, Some Menu ChangesMarkieVIPDined on 5/9/2014Somewhat disappointed that the 'vegan charcutery' is no longer on the menu and the menu has been reorganized. They reportedly deconstructed the vegan charcutery into three larger dishes (there used to be 4 samplings) under "Garden"..... We tried two of the three charcutery Garden dishes and found them to be terrific as usual and they were larger (and together they two cost what the vegan charcutery used to cost). While acceptable in concept, we miss the 'vegan charcutery' plate that we loved to share. Things must change.... Mussels and pizza were fabulous and Amanda provided outstanding service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LivelyJeanieDined on 5/8/2014We had good friends and family with us and it was fun to be in a lively spot. However, some of us are older with some hearing deficit and the noise level was pretty energetic. Our nice waiter came down to the other end of the table to repeat all his announcements. Love to eat organic so feel very safe at Gather. Everyone agreed that the thin crust pizza was the best and the starters were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great special occasion spotbusinesslunchDined on 5/7/2014Another delightful and delicious meal with fabulous service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not bad... but could be better.JChildsDined on 5/7/2014We arrived and were seated with no problem and the wait staff/ hostess were fine. The food portions were decent but I expected more for the price. I had a vegetarian entree of black rice and asparagus with a poached egg. Not bad but expensive at $24. My date had a burger w/ no bun because there was no gluten free bread available. Overall, I would go again but do not have plans anytime soon. Perhaps if someone else suggests it in the future. Worth going at least once.Special Features:
- Portion SizeTonyDined on 5/7/2014The salad I had was delicious with a good combination of ingredients. However, it was medium compared to most other restaurants. Also the carrot cake muffin was tiny and we felt embarrassed to be sharing it.Special Features:
- Rather expensive for small portionsCatspajamasDined on 5/6/2014Gather presents unusual foods and combinations, many of the selections are grilled. The food seemed expensive given the small portions offered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- superblovebooksDined on 5/6/2014Our lunch was superb in every way. I was not prepared to enjoy this restaurant. I'm hesitant about health food and anything veganish. But what a surprise!The food was intriguing, tasty, well thought out. Interesting combinations of spices and flavors. I plan on going back and taking my chef husband. Service was excellent. The waitpeople clearly love their jobs and the restaurant itself. Happy place. My only negative would be sound level. Not bad, but the building does carry sound.Special Features:
- Gather didn't give me dining pointsOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 5/4/2014My reservation was for 9:30pm on Sunday May 4. We arrived about 15 minutes early, so they seated us early. They then cancelled my reservation, stiffing me for my dining points. It's impossible to get through to them (the phone always goes to voicemail) to get them to fix this. Horrible.
- Tasty...DogboneDined on 5/4/2014Portions a bit on the small side but everything was super tasty and beautifully presented.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and service!BerkeleyDinerDined on 5/4/2014I love this quintessential Berkeley dining spot. Food combination is great, and all items taste clean and pleasant. I believe most or all items are local and organic. Server was very knowledgeable of food and drink. A very pleasant, overall experience.Special Features:
- Foodie HappinessharcorefoodieDined on 5/3/2014Overall, the food was very good. We had had the little gem salad, pork belly, chicken and the spicy tomatoes pizza. All was absolutely wonderful. My boyfriend especially enjoyed the pork belly with lentils. I am not a big pork fan but I must admit it was truly perfection. The service was outstanding. The wait staff could not have been more attentive courteous. Oh! The drinks!! We enjoyed some great specialty cocktails. FABULOUS!! It is def. one of our new favorite places.Special Features:
- Great PicklesJon1949Dined on 5/2/2014First of all Gather is a very nice room, a simple, clean place with with lots of wood. You can see the kitchen just beyond all the colorful jars of pickles. So that's what we started with. Our pickle assortment included carrots, Brussels sprouts and Jerusalem artichokes. Each was delicious. The menu offers gluten free and vegan options, but I had the pork belly with lentils. Perfect. My wife had chickpea panisse which was vegan. Also excellent and beautifully presented. We also split a hazelnut mousse. Every bite is very highly recommended.Special Features: