Border Grill - Las Vegas
3950 Las Vegas Blvd South
Las Vegas, NV 89119Neighborhood:
Mandalay Bay Resort
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
Border Grill - Las Vegas
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bordergrill.com/
- Phone: 7026327403x
- Hours of Operation:
Everyday - Beginning at 11:00 a.m.
Saturday and Sunday - 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
(in addition to the full Lunch menu)
Everyday - Beginning at 4 p.m.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Mexican, Contemporary Mexican
- Executive Chef: Mike Minor
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: BORDER GRILL CATERING: Looking for off-site catering? Whether it’s a wedding, birthday, or holiday cocktails, we’ll bring the party to your chosen location. Call today for an unforgettable party! 702.632.7540
- Special Events: Become a Border Grill VIP and get all the info about special events like our popular Tequila Tasting Dinners! Ask a manager how to join our exclusive Border Grill VIP Club.
A word from Border Grill - Las Vegas
Welcome to the vibrant, modern Mexican restaurant overlooking the Lazy River just off Mandalay Beach, where Chefs Mary Sue Milliken and Susan Feniger, Food Network’s “Too Hot Tamales”, want nothing more than to spice up your day. With two floors of patio dining, this hip, urban cantina is the perfect setting for sipping margaritas and savoring the bold flavors of Mexico while enjoying views of the beach and pool.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMexican
Border Grill - Las Vegas - Best Restaurants in Mandalay Bay Resort ›
Border Grill - Las Vegas reviews from OpenTable diners
199 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (94)great for outdoor dining (82)great for lunch (80)great for brunch (68)good for groups (68)special occasion (32)scenic view (21)hot spot (21)vibrant bar scene (18)kid-friendly (17)neighborhood gem (13)romantic (12)late-night find (11)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Service was prompt, courteousOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/3/2008Service was prompt, courteous and relatively unbiased (although almost every dish was described as "awesome" by our server she still managed to offer some constructive, informative help). Food was very tasty and fresh. Hot items were hot and cool items were cool. My flank-steak was a little tough although they did manage to cook it well (rare: and that may have contributed a little to the texture). Girlfriend's Chili Rellenos were cooked nicely, not too oily or cheesy, although she commented they didn't stand out from any others she has had. Patio was VERY nice. Mandatory gratuity on a 4-people was absolutely ridiculous! You earn a tip based on overall quality. I'd go again but would enquire about the tip.Special Features:
- Great food! I enjoyed theOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/2/2008Great food! I enjoyed the great Mexican fare at this place....prices weren't too bad (for Vegas) and the atmosphere was decent.
- Food is prepared in a mannerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/27/2008Food is prepared in a manner that makes your taste-buds expload with flavor. Everything is prepared from "scratch" in the resturant, and while somewhat simple in nature, the flavors that are combined on the plate complement each other so well that it uncreases the flavor element exponentally. Servers/wait staff are very friendly...even willing to stop and chat with you at the table for a few minutes. Defenatly one of the flagship eatereries on the strip, and a must visit for anyone who enjoies good food! A++++Special Features:
- Not the tour de force of MexicanFrankVIPDined on 9/27/2008Not the tour de force of Mexican food I remember from a few years ago -- good, but not great. I might go if I were staying at Mandalay Bay, skip otherwise.
- I would recommend Border GrillOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/22/2008I would recommend Border Grill to anyone visiting Las Vegas.Special Features:
- Awesome food and atmosphere!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/19/2008Awesome food and atmosphere! I wish there was one of these closer to my home in PA! I would always recommend!Special Features:
- Food is good but expensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/15/2008Food is good but expensive ! Waiter is so friendly to foreigners like us and knows about menus well!Special Features:
- After a second-floor remodel,OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/7/2008After a second-floor remodel, Border Grill has re-opened. I love the chef's tasting menu, which gives a great sense of the selections available.Special Features:
- Even though the service wasOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/29/2008Even though the service was quite good and the owner even stopped by our table, it was disappointing. The food was average and the environment was boring.
- Surprise of the trip. GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/19/2008Surprise of the trip. Good food, outdoor dining but cool, and awesome service. Hard to find it in Mandalay Bay but worth the look!Special Features:
- What a wonderful experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 8/18/2008What a wonderful experience. The Service and Food definitely deserve 5 stars.Special Features:
- The Santa Monica originalOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 8/16/2008The Santa Monica original is worth the drive and is a step up from it's Las Vegas cousin.Special Features:
- Our waitress, Sandy, managedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/26/2008Our waitress, Sandy, managed to serve 17 women for a bachelorette party -- we combined two reservations -- and she did an outstanding job with getting orders, drinks, and regularly checking in with us. We were all very happy and had a great time to start a fun evening!Special Features:
- Delicious food. However,OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/18/2008Delicious food. However, when I made reservations, I was not asked if I preferred outdoor seating. When I arrived, I was not given an option either and was seated outdoors (which I DID NOT prefer).Special Features:
- The construction in and aroundLocalVIPDined on 7/18/2008The construction in and around the restaurant squeezes seats into a loud room or onto the patio-- a furnace in the summer. The very young hostess staff has an unnecessary attitude and seems to be annoyed when customers interrupt their conversations among themselves. The signage to find the restaruant amid the construction is confusing. There needs to be a clear sign that says "restaurant main entrance temporarily relocated." We entered through the service entrance and dodged deliveries and bus trays going and coming. Overall, good food in a crappy environment.
- Food and margaritas were great.OpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 7/17/2008Food and margaritas were great. Our server, Aneth, was outstanding.Special Features:
- the service was out standingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/11/2008the service was out standing and the staff was happy and pleasant we especially enjoyed our annaversary with the food thank you BG sam r.Special Features:
- Have visited here a lot inOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 7/6/2008Have visited here a lot in the past. Food took very long to arrive at table. Drinks took 15 min. to refill when empty. Bill was placed on table and never asked if any of the 7 guests wanted dessert. I told them to bring a dessert menu. The service has really gone down hill. Also, when desserts arrived the waiter placed the forks on the corner of table and said, "here are your forks". She should have placed a fork with each guest. Not have us pass them around the table. I really don't know if I will return here after telling my friends how nice Border Grill was in the past. Dr. Scott Stoner
- Can't say enough about theOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/4/2008Can't say enough about the outstanding cuisine and the service. It's a must dine whenever I go to Vegas. The chef is brilliant -- an absolute genius!Special Features:
- First experience at BorderOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/2/2008First experience at Border Grill-Las Vegas: Outstanding! My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed the food and West Coast Mexican-style cuisine. A real treat for all those wanting a notch above the casual dining experience. The menu, though very rustic-sounding, is absolutely sophisticated in its final presentation and execution. The contrast of tastes is pulled-off to perfection. The wine list is absolutely apropos for the menu. We were a bit disappointed because of the renovations taking place at the restaurant, but once completed we'd love to see the final result. Surely the addition of a balcony/second level will only add to an already outstanding dining experience. NINO SIMONE Montreal, CanadaSpecial Features:
- This dining experience wasPackerMidget12Dined on 7/1/2008This dining experience was a complete let down. After researching several places in a Las Vageas guide book we chose Border Grill due to the well-known chefs that own the establishment. First, on arrival we had to enter the back due to construction of some kind and this was not mearked very well. We were not greeted but finally we managed to find the "front" area and were seated. Perhaps construction may have caused some problems for the staff. After 15 minutes I had to get up and ask for a server. No apologies were made. The food was tasteless and very bland adn although I know true mexican food is not boldly flavored, this food had absolutely no flavor what so ever. We would not return and would not advise others to if asked.
- My server, Doug, was great.OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/26/2008My server, Doug, was great. Wonderful Black Cherry Mojitos and the mister was a nice touch.Special Features:
- Plates are huge! Food wasOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/24/2008Plates are huge! Food was great. Currently they are undergoing some consruction which was a little annoying.
- We were not expecting to sitOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/21/2008We were not expecting to sit outside at over 100 degree heat. We should have been notified we would be sitting outside. Service was great! Did not appreciate people taking photos and trying to sell or retain images of us. Not cool! Peggianne
- Recently ate at several restaurantsKitchen1VIPDined on 6/19/2008Recently ate at several restaurants while in Las Vegas. Most were 4 star, and of all of them, the Border Grill was the favorite for my group. The food and service was fantastic! Every dish we ordered was a hit. The guacamole is amazing, and the chips to start were some of the best we'd ever tasted. I ordered the Halibut which was delicious, even to me, a self trained chef. I would highly recommend the Boder Grill and I will definitely go back myself.Special Features:
- The hostess was useless, butOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 6/15/2008The hostess was useless, but the service after that, with a minor mishap, was great, and the food...tremendous. The manager was extremely pleasant and really takes an interest in the clientel.
- The best crab nachos possible.OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 6/12/2008The best crab nachos possible. A great experience.Special Features:
- As of June 2008, Border GrillOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/3/2008As of June 2008, Border Grill Las Vegas is undergoing remodeling. According to the server, they'll concentrate more on appetizers (tapas) and the bar scene on the upper level. It's always a pleasure dining by Mandalay Bay's amazing pool. I had the tasting menu, and it was equally amazing. I appreciate that the manager came by to check on everything.Special Features:
- The food was amazing - justOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/31/2008The food was amazing - just wonderful. The service was terrible. We were ignored by the bussers and our waiter. I was with another woman on a date - the staff treated us like pariahs. I was surprised at the reaction considering the info I had on the restaurant. We had to wait and ask for everything at least twice - water, etc. The table next to us was a complete contrast - the waitress and particularly the busser were very attentive. I haven't experienced this kind of homophobia in a restaurant in a while - it was a bit of a shock.Special Features:
- The prices reflect the factOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 5/24/2008The prices reflect the fact that this restaurant is in one of Las Vegas' mega resorts. I only wish the food was even close to being notable, or even good. The menu seemed exotic enough, but the tastes were short of an El Torito or an Acapulco restaurant. The service was mediocre at best. I'm skipping this one forever...
- We did not have the opportunityOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/20/2008We did not have the opportunity to dine at Border Grill because the restaurant was undergoing a renovation. In the space that they were using, the restaurant had booked a large private party with a very loud band and lots of people milling around. Basically, it was packed and they tried to squeeze us into a table outside, amid the revelers, music, heat and wind. Needless to say, we declined to have dinner there. I was truly disappointed having made this reservation a month in advance. I would think the restaurant would have had the courtesy to contact me and let me know they were undergoing a renovation and had a private party going on. The staff was too harried to care about us. My husband and I then had to attempt to get a table elsewhere
- When we arrived, we discoveredOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/19/2008When we arrived, we discovered the restaurant was under construction. To add to the misery, the booked a rather large private party, with no regard for the reservations they already had. The service was slow, probably due to being beyond capacity. The food was innovative, yet bland. I have eaten there before and I was very surprised at the poor quality this time.
- Enjoyed dinner here, plentyRickVIPDined on 5/14/2008Enjoyed dinner here, plenty of choices on the menu from appetizers, to pizza, to filling entres. Did have to get over the sticker price for the bill, but thats Vegas. We have dinner on their patio as the restaurant was going through renovation and not much inside dining. Actually enhanced the ambience eating outside. Service was very good, the waitress was there when needed, no rush to get through dinner. If at Mandalay Bay in the future, would eat here again.Special Features:
- I really liked the outdoorOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/11/2008I really liked the outdoor patio dining but the food was less than mediocre. Very dissappointed.Special Features:
- We are locals and foodiesOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/9/2008We are locals and foodies at heart. This is our fifth time here and we love it. The tasting menu is especially worth going to Border Grill for. Our faves on the menu, flavorful margaritas, Plantain empanadas, the skirt steak and the conchinita pibil.Special Features:
- Excellent food and drink.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/9/2008Excellent food and drink. This was our favorite dinner in Las Vegas and we ate at 2 other Las Vegas "favorite" restaurants.Special Features:
- This restaurant has been onOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/5/2008This restaurant has been on my to-do list for the past couple of Vegas trips and I finally made it there this May. I was a bit disappointed in the quality of the food. The drinks and starters were both great. Our service lacked as we were rushed to place orders and finish our meal as we were told that the restaurant was closing. We had 8:30PM reservations and we were told this a little after 9PM. I wish that the restaurant would have made our party aware that they were not going to be open for there normal hours as we would have made reservations for an earlier time or for a different day. I would like to give this place another shot - maybe for lunch instead of dinner.Special Features:
- Too noisy with a mariachiMalice6Dined on 5/5/2008Too noisy with a mariachi band playing simultaneously with too loud piped in music on too loud speakers. An even louder announcer calling off tickets to a drawing. I actually had to check in with three (3) different hosts before getting a table, very chaotic. Not nearly as good as their Santa Monica original. Had to walk miles through the smoky casino before getting to the restaurant. Food was very good but we felt rushed. Our drinks and appetizers took too long to arrive.Special Features:
- We thoroughly enjoyed ourOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/3/2008We thoroughly enjoyed our dining experience and the food was marvelous...Special Features:
- Having eaten here many times,OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/26/2008Having eaten here many times, including at our own wedding reception, we had very high expectations. However, we left disappointed. Just getting into the restaurant was difficult due to remodeling. The hostesses did a good job helping us find the downstairs door, but we were on our own once inside (we didn't see the host desk at first). Our waiter seemed new...he was not aware of the tequila menu referenced on the dinner menu, and he forgot to bring our tequila shot (we had to ask for it). Our dinner came before we'd finished our appetizers. The dining room was crowded (we liked the upstairs dining room better). We are used to having fantastic service from your veteran staff and were so disappointed that we probably won't go back next time.Special Features: