56 Gold St.
San Francisco, CA 94133Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bixrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 4154336300
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian
- Executive Chef: Bruce Hill
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact any manager at (415) 433-6300
- Entertainment: BIX features jazz nightly with no cover charge.
A word from BIX
An exceptionally stylish supper club, civilized speakeasy, a sophisticated saloon. Each of these "personae" is housed in a soaring two-story interior distinguished by a gently curving mahogany bar, fluted columns with ornate capitals, stunning original art, plush banquettes, cozy booths, starched linens, glittering glasses, and polished flatware. Overall, the ambiance is pure 1930's and 1940's - tasteful art moderne reminiscent of the glory days of Cunard and French Line ships. Fashionable and glamorous are the hallmarks. Trendy is simply not a part of the BIX culture. The clientele at BIX ranges from San Francisco movers-and-shakers to "savvy travelers" - owner Doug Biederbeck's term for the many diners in the know from out of town who patronize his establishment. All of them step from the featureless alley into another world - a world of superb cookery and libations, of sparkling service, of stylish nostalgia, of polished live jazz. That world is BIX.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
BIX reviews from OpenTable diners
206 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
romantic (130)special occasion (127)fit for foodies (81)vibrant bar scene (75)neighborhood gem (65)notable wine list (57)hot spot (49)good for groups (30)late-night find (28)great for lunch (5)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (2)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Good for Jazz and FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/5/2014Bix is an open room with a mezzanine where nearly ever table has a view of a piano playing jazz. The music is not overly loud and maybe not loud enough for people who want to focus on it, but it is probably just right as background. The food is served in a modern French inspired fashion. I had the corn soup, which was excellent, just spicy enough. My colleague enjoyed the halibut. Overall a nice room, fairly dark, with the bar crowded up agains the dining room. I would recommend it.Special Features:
- EnjoyedhshepDined on 6/4/2014It had been many years since dinning at Bix. Service good, food very good, but do not go there if yo wish to converse with others at your table, unless you wish to shout. As the music got the louder, the conversations increased equally.I would recommend this to a friend.
- great experience!jack3Dined on 6/4/2014Unforgettable ! Great Service, great food, and great music!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- everything but great a great waiterJimmyVIPDined on 6/2/2014We specifically picked Bix to entertain our out of town friends from new york. The booth and ambiance was amazing and in fact the food was as well. Unfortunately our waiter was impatient, distracted, and generally not attentive to the point that all 5 of us at the table were commenting on his behavior and actions or lack of friendliness. Regardless we had a great time but what a disappointment to spend the entire dinervous hoping our waiter would grow a personality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Jazz BarCarolVIPDined on 5/31/2014We had such an amazing meal at this restaurant. Christopher, our waiter was wonderful and very helpful. The piano jazz music was perfect for the meal. We tried the special of veal and it was very tender. We tried the crab roll which was kind of like a lobster roll. It was very good. This is a really beautiful restaurant. The prices were reasonable and fair. The wine list was extensive and Christopher helped us select the prefect wine to go with the meal. He was very knowledgeable. We will go back.Special Features:
- Service seriously hurt review!KanemedVIPDined on 5/30/2014Dined at Bix last month and again Friday night for client dinners. Three of five of my clients ran late for our 6pm reservation. The short haired, older female hostess proudly/rudely told me in front of my guest we were going to lose our reservation. I assured her they'd be there within 5 minutes and they were. Dinner was great, server was great. We were having dessert and the mgr stopped in briefly to check on us and discreetly delivered our bill. We all split the Bananas Foster for dessert. It was delicious but not enough so one of my guests asked the mgr for a second one. He said no the 8:30 reservation needed the table. It was 8:37pm. Embarrassed and disappointed me in front of my clients after I bragged on Bix so much!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sorry to saydiningdivaVIPDined on 5/28/2014The ambiance is great, service is good, musical entertainment wonderful, but the food--an enormous disappointment. Bix is known for its terrific beef tartare, so we were looking forward to it. It is prepared table side and looked delicious. Unfortunately, it was underseasoned. But, it was the best dish of the night. The bavette steak, lobster spaghetti and cheeseburger were all underseasoned and looked and tasted like they had been sitting around too long. My friend equated it to first class airline food. The burger was so dry, it was inedible. I feel bad disssing a restaurant like this, but we were out $300 for a really poor meal.Special Features:
- GemThunderDined on 5/24/2014The location itself is jewel. Great good. Great service. Great music in the background. Bar area a little tight when crowded but you can get over that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 1793 reviews are from the BIX reviews archive.
- ClassicJakeVIPDined on 5/23/2014A room that transports you back to the '40's and even earlier the day of the speakeasy. Live jazz, incredibly good food in a perfect setting. The perfect romantic evening. If I have one criticism, no place to dance. It's like living in a dream.Special Features:
- feels like a classic 1920's placeBarbhmVIPDined on 5/23/2014The decor of Bix is classic--cool bar, nice banquette seating upstairs and soft lighting reminiscent of an earlier era. The menu selection offers a good variety and the food is good. I go for the ambiance, decor and great truffle fries.Special Features:
- Bix was not what I anticipatedFoodsmythingDined on 5/20/2014I found the food so so at Bix. The steak tartare was very good, the dungeness crab was a square of bread with a minute dollop of crab. You could barely taste the crab. The chicken bites were overly breaded and spiced. The main courses were good, not great. The steak arrived ice cold. The chicken resembled a frozen chicken croquette. Though the servers were quite friendly they were very pushy and rushing us. The appetizers were all thrown at us at once, as if they were anxious to get us out of there. (We were a party of 5 celebrating my son's college graduation). They kept insisting we should put our dinner order in when we were not ready. We insisted on waiting based on the appetizer arrivals. Personally I was not impressed.
- Old School Setting Innnovative FoodModernistVIPDined on 5/17/2014Been wanting to go for years, glad we finally tried it and will be back!Special Features:
- Best dining experience overall!FinedineVIPDined on 5/15/2014Delicious food, excellent service, great atmosphere...my new favorite restaurant in SF!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey, noisy, darkdinerdeliteVIPDined on 5/15/2014I checked "yes" for recommendation, because it wasn't 'bad', but don't think we'll return anytime soon. Having said that, we did have pleasant service and a very nice piece of salmon for our meal.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Atmosphere, But...InExileVIPDined on 5/11/2014The space is lovely: one feels as if one has shifted back 100 years. The food is mediocre, uninspired, dare I say boring? From the moment diners sit down the service gives one the impression they should eat as rapidly as possible as others are waiting for the table. Efficiency is one thing, feeling rushed is quite another.
- Classic 1930's supper clubSanCarlosCADined on 5/10/2014Fabulous place!! Great ambience, like a classic 1930's supper club. The food was tremendous, I had the best veal of my life, my son had lobster pasta, which was also wonderful, and my wife had a delicious entree of duck. Great service and a classic bar. Not overly expensive for what we got. SF needs more restaurants like Bix!!Special Features:
- MargaretMusicMargaretMusicDined on 5/3/2014Mostly impressed by the great jazz trio. Not many restaurants where you can hear quality jazz. Atmosphere delightful. Service superb. Food, really tasty. All in all, 5 stars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- menu?OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/3/2014sadly the menu is not appealing...overpriced...ambiance does not make up for lackluster menuSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 5/1/2014The ambience is great, one of the best "rooms" in the City, made even better but the live music in the background. It's sophisticated and fun. We had our wedding reception there many years ago. The food is good, but nothing to shout about (especially for SF). It doesn't really matter though, in that setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice but enough for the priceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/1/2014Went for a special occasion and was happy with the overall experience. Especially the live jazz music. Drinks were good but laughably small and food was also good but incredibly overpriced even for San Francisco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/30/2014Such a shame to see a restaurant with this history become mediocre.
- Excellent Food & ServicejanicehVIPDined on 4/28/2014Our evening at Bix was extremely enjoyable. The service is outstanding in every way - everyone was very pleasant, helpful and charming. The food was excellent. My husband and I were there for a special occasion and all the wait staff went out of their way to make it a very memorable meal. The only negative aspect was the noise, which I am sure can't be helped with the way the restaurant is laid out and it was quite full of diners that evening. We did enjoy the live music, which was in the background. I would recommend this restaurant very highly, just be aware it can get noisy.Special Features:
- BackinBostonAgainDined on 4/27/2014We were in town for a conference and I recommended the restaurant to the group since I had been here twice before. It's a fun atmosphere and I love the openness of the restaurant, the bar & the live entertainment. Everyone loved the place, the food and the service.Special Features:
- Great Food. Great AmbianceFantasticDined on 4/26/2014Been to Bix many times over the years and the food, service, and ambiance never disappoint. Love being transported back in time,Special Features:
- PerfectJOHNDined on 4/25/2014Took my girlfriend and we had a great time. She doesn't eat seafood or steak but she was happy with other options on the menu. Great service, food, music and atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tone It DownBerkeleyDined on 4/23/2014The food was great, as was the wine list and the service. The music, however, was so aggressively amplified that it was impossible to have a conversation. I love jazz, but if I wanted to attend a concert, I'd go to Yoshi's. I wasn't at Bix to see a show -- I was there to eat dinner. I won't be back.Special Features:
- Go to Bix!Xavier1973Dined on 4/18/2014While visiting San Francisco, I came to Bix on a recommendation from a friend in Chicago, and I'm a big fan. We had a late dinner on a Friday evening, and had the pleasure of being entertained by a Jazz band. The ambiance was perfect for a date night, and the food was exceptional. At times it felt that our server forgot about us, but we did come in late and were tucked away in the corner by request, so I can forgive that minor hiccup. Speaking of tucked away, this little gem is down a side street and we wouldn't have found it on our own - so take a cab if you're from out of town. Overall, this is a five star place for a great dinner.Special Features:
- Great Experience, again!gourmandVIPDined on 4/18/2014what can I say. WOW again. Dining at BIX continues to be a great experience. we will be back again, soonSpecial Features:
- A great findOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/17/2014A friend recommended this, and it was an excellent find. The atmosphere was great. A woman was quietly warbling away. The food was imaginative and a real treat. Our waiter was a group and very professional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality Dining ExperiencePinkyDined on 4/14/2014Duck breast was amazingly succulent. Delicious bananas foster. Also, try Elixer #3.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- StellarSplatDined on 4/12/2014Bix, Once again you do not let me down. I came here for my 1 year anniversary with my wife and pow! Deviled Eggs were amazing, the bone marrow was heart stopping, the New York strip steak was BOMB not to mention the beet salad! thanks again. I will be coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bix is great!Joeme90404Dined on 4/11/2014I took my wife here for our anniversary dinner. Everything was fantastic! The waiter was one of the best we'd ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced for nothing specialGoodEatsDined on 4/9/2014My husband and I were excited to get away on a date night for a special occasion. The restaurant was grossly overpriced for our experience. Service was mediocre with little knowledge of the menu or wine list, dietary restrictions, or attention to detail (didn't fill my our wine glasses once, left dirty plates, etc.) The ambience was loud (hard to hear the waiter or each other). Entrees were pricey, and if you wanted a starch or vegetable to go with your protein better prepare to pay an extra twenty bucks for them. We left feeling like we could have gone to so many other fantastic restaurants in SF with better good, service, and value. We left disappointed. Would not recommend.
- Wonderful Night OutjaytVIPDined on 4/8/2014The food and service were outstanding. We were a bit early and sat at bar. The manager cam over and said our table was not ready. He was very apologetic and a few moments later a very nice bit to eat was given to us and our champagne refilled. This was all above and beyond - signs of an excellent staff. Our table was absolutely the best for us - it was upstairs and toward the center. We dine out often and this was a top experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jazz GemMaxwellDined on 4/8/2014A secluded smallish place that is totally unique. The piano and singer reminded me of going out to dinner with my parents in the 60's. if you visit SanFrancisco you can't miss this place. A small restaurant in a big city. Did I mention that the food is excellent too?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and great jazz too!AlohaRobin1VIPDined on 4/7/2014Food good, place is super...I felt like Frank Sinatra could stroll in with the Rat Pack... loved the jazz music playing in the background (Live by the way) you will LOVE it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good place for special dateFoodloverDined on 4/5/2014The place had a great feel to it. The food came quickly. The waiter always made sure our wine glasses were filled. The food was really great. Price was expensive, but that's what you would expect for a place like this, I would come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Salty and Yet.CharlieParkerDined on 4/3/2014Burger and accompanying salad were preposterously salty. Ate someof it. They were kind to comped it. All else really good. Especially the lobster pasta. Perhaps my fault for ordering such a pedestrian dish.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent AtmospherePortariusDined on 4/1/2014Went here on my Birthday after reading about the excellent ambiance and food, was not disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/31/2014I used to go to Bix all the time when I worked in the area in the early 90's. It was great then and in my opinion it still is great! We had a wonderful evening. Fast, efficient service, Delicious Food, Fabulous Decor and Enchanting live music. I would definitely go back.Special Features: