56 Gold St.
San Francisco, CA 94133Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bixrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 4154336300
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian
- Executive Chef: Bruce Hill
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact any manager at (415) 433-6300
- Entertainment: BIX features jazz nightly with no cover charge.
A word from BIX
An exceptionally stylish supper club, civilized speakeasy, a sophisticated saloon. Each of these "personae" is housed in a soaring two-story interior distinguished by a gently curving mahogany bar, fluted columns with ornate capitals, stunning original art, plush banquettes, cozy booths, starched linens, glittering glasses, and polished flatware. Overall, the ambiance is pure 1930's and 1940's - tasteful art moderne reminiscent of the glory days of Cunard and French Line ships. Fashionable and glamorous are the hallmarks. Trendy is simply not a part of the BIX culture. The clientele at BIX ranges from San Francisco movers-and-shakers to "savvy travelers" - owner Doug Biederbeck's term for the many diners in the know from out of town who patronize his establishment. All of them step from the featureless alley into another world - a world of superb cookery and libations, of sparkling service, of stylish nostalgia, of polished live jazz. That world is BIX.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
BIX reviews from OpenTable diners
195 reviews since July 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (121)romantic (113)fit for foodies (86)vibrant bar scene (67)neighborhood gem (65)hot spot (51)notable wine list (48)good for groups (31)late-night find (27)great for lunch (3)great for brunch (1)scenic view (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/9/2014Noise level was a little high and desert took a little too long. Food was amazing. especially the apetizers.Special Features:
- Great AmbienceMaggieSFVIPDined on 7/5/2014This place has been around for 26yrs & is still a great place!!!! The Jazz music, decor, & food make for the perfect ambient!!!! Highly recommend this place to try with either a date or a small group!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Food and Ambiance!fun2dineDined on 7/3/2014Bix has been one of our favorites for years and was wonderful this last visit. We dined on an appetizer plater which allowed us to try some tasty treats we would not have tried! The presentation and bites were wonderful! We also dined on the Tartar which was so delicious, mixed as you like at your table! the jazz was fun and the atmosphere romantic. We look forward to returning!Special Features:
- The following 1826 reviews are from the BIX reviews archive.
- COULD NOT HAVE BEEN BETTER!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/1/2014From the moment we walked in, we were treated like VIP's. Blake could not have been more gracious, and our waiter was fantastic. COULD NOT HAVE BEEN BETTER!! THANK YOU!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great TimetooeycDined on 6/29/2014We have been eating here for 15 years. We love the feeling of the place and the food is amazing!Special Features:
- Great Anniversary!MrsRDined on 6/29/2014My husband and I went to BIX to celebrate our 1st wedding anniversary. Here are some of my highlights: - They greater us promptly and everyone said Happy Anniversary throughout the night. - Best martini I've had, shaken at the table. Delicious! - Service was very attentive but gave us our privacy and let us take our time getting through dinner - The food was delicious! We had Banh Mi and the Chili-glazed Fried Chicken, the Lobster Spaghetti and a special New York Steak. All very good. - The ambiance was great, very romantic. They had a solo pianist playing, good lighting. I loved the huge open room. We had a wonderful time and will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LinbuDined on 6/28/2014Love this restaurant and the cool alley entrance. We took friends from out of town (Austin, TX) and they loved the place. Very hip, cool scene with a lovely trio playing. We will def come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PleasedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/27/2014I liked the service at the Front Desk. Ricardo was helpful and followed up by calling me to find out whether everything was alright and I was comfortable. I wasn't too happy about the NO Radio policy but the food was very good. Thanks W.Special Features:
- Not worth pricedjsfVIPDined on 6/26/2014Overpriced for what you get ceviche was good but not like any other ceviche I've ever had just a few pieces of fish with vinegar type sauce.... steak tartare was very good not enough of...... Read the reviews about the noise and didn't really believe it now I do ..... Will not go backSpecial Features:
- Attentive ServiceSadashiSDined on 6/25/2014I like the way staff communicate and serve customers here. Always give me the impression that they are trying to go extra mile. I'm from Tokyo, Japan but I'm a repeater of this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambiancecentcalfoodieDined on 6/21/2014A great retro look combined with excellent music and bar scene. The duck was very good, but the lobster spaghetti was relatively uninspired. Overall a very nice dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovegoodfoodlovegoodfoodDined on 6/20/2014Beautiful old historic building. Great service. Wonderful food. Local and sustainable. Great find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebrating "50" Years!!MontanaDined on 6/20/2014Absolutely wonderful food, service,and beautiful surroundings! So enjoyed the "jazz". Anxious to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- returntripVIPDined on 6/20/2014Went for lunch with a coworker. Food was ok, restaurant beautiful, staff was very attentive.Special Features:
- architectWrayVIPDined on 6/19/2014an attractive place with excellent food and service. But: NOISY. Very difficult to hear across the tableSpecial Features:
- Rude over the phoneOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 6/19/2014Although the place is nice, food good and the service was good, when calling to let them know I was going to be a bit late (due to traffic), the person that answered the phone was not very pleasant.Special Features:
- michaelDined on 6/15/2014Very nice place, friendly and competent Service, delicious foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant, worldyKateVIPDined on 6/15/2014Superb cocktail list - the "Boxcar" with its smoked ice was amazing. My duck was great. An elegant dinner.Special Features:
- Just wowOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/15/2014This place is amazing. Beautiful, amazing food, great service, and the atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still a fan favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/14/2014Established dining spot that still has excellent service and menu. Steak tartare delicious. Great cocktails too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey & NoisySmallTownersDined on 6/13/2014Perhaps, there was an age incompatibility for us. We enjoyed the food but felt the sound level was a huge distraction. It was quite difficult to have a normal conversation with good friends.Special Features:
- A beautiful romantic celebration!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/11/2014The staff was wonderful and accommodating, and the food was SO good! Can't wait to go again!Special Features:
- Great DiscoveryEBL8Dined on 6/7/2014This restaurant is wonderful place to share a dinner with friends. I love the seating. The restaurant has a lot of booths which allow the guests to have privacy during their dinner. I would definitely recommend BIXSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- How Inane can staff be?Jeezelouise1VIPDined on 6/7/2014I made an on-line reservation. In the special requests box I wrote we were celebrating our friend's 98th birthday. I also said he was very fit for a 98 year old. When we arrived it took us a while to get everyone out the the cars (6 of us - 2 cars) we finally entered and were told our table was waiting......up the very long staircase and all the way to the furthest booth in the restaurant. I balked but we couldn't make our guest stand and wait for another 6 top to open. When I expressed my dissatisfaction I got this ludicrous response: "Well..in the reservation note you said he was fit"...I could have wrung her neck but she was correct, I did mention it...as a tribute, not as a challenge! No 98 year old should have had to gone through thisSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing as alwaysCallahanDined on 6/6/2014Every time in S.F. we visit Bix and are never disappointed. The menu frequently updated and everything is a hit!Special Features:
- Still Great After All These Yearssherwood6handicapDined on 6/6/2014I had been to Bix a number of times over the years when I was in SF for business, but my wife had never experienced this "step back in time - film noir" eatery/nightclub. It did not disappoint! Started with the Potato Pillows and the Bahn Mi appetizers which were just delightful. A great Cesar salad came next that was a wonderfully delicate rendition of a classic dish. Main courses were the special of the day - a poached salmon - and the long standing favorite of Lobster Spaghetti. The salmon was fantastic - still rare in the center like grilled ahi tuna with morel mushrooms and a perfect light cream sauce. The desert of chocolate bread pudding and earl grey panna cotta topped off a wonderful meal. Service was perfect. A wonderful night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for Jazz and FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/5/2014Bix is an open room with a mezzanine where nearly ever table has a view of a piano playing jazz. The music is not overly loud and maybe not loud enough for people who want to focus on it, but it is probably just right as background. The food is served in a modern French inspired fashion. I had the corn soup, which was excellent, just spicy enough. My colleague enjoyed the halibut. Overall a nice room, fairly dark, with the bar crowded up agains the dining room. I would recommend it.Special Features:
- EnjoyedhshepDined on 6/4/2014It had been many years since dinning at Bix. Service good, food very good, but do not go there if yo wish to converse with others at your table, unless you wish to shout. As the music got the louder, the conversations increased equally.I would recommend this to a friend.
- great experience!jack3Dined on 6/4/2014Unforgettable ! Great Service, great food, and great music!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- everything but great a great waiterJimmyVIPDined on 6/2/2014We specifically picked Bix to entertain our out of town friends from new york. The booth and ambiance was amazing and in fact the food was as well. Unfortunately our waiter was impatient, distracted, and generally not attentive to the point that all 5 of us at the table were commenting on his behavior and actions or lack of friendliness. Regardless we had a great time but what a disappointment to spend the entire dinervous hoping our waiter would grow a personality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Jazz BarCarolVIPDined on 5/31/2014We had such an amazing meal at this restaurant. Christopher, our waiter was wonderful and very helpful. The piano jazz music was perfect for the meal. We tried the special of veal and it was very tender. We tried the crab roll which was kind of like a lobster roll. It was very good. This is a really beautiful restaurant. The prices were reasonable and fair. The wine list was extensive and Christopher helped us select the prefect wine to go with the meal. He was very knowledgeable. We will go back.Special Features:
- Service seriously hurt review!KanemedVIPDined on 5/30/2014Dined at Bix last month and again Friday night for client dinners. Three of five of my clients ran late for our 6pm reservation. The short haired, older female hostess proudly/rudely told me in front of my guest we were going to lose our reservation. I assured her they'd be there within 5 minutes and they were. Dinner was great, server was great. We were having dessert and the mgr stopped in briefly to check on us and discreetly delivered our bill. We all split the Bananas Foster for dessert. It was delicious but not enough so one of my guests asked the mgr for a second one. He said no the 8:30 reservation needed the table. It was 8:37pm. Embarrassed and disappointed me in front of my clients after I bragged on Bix so much!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sorry to saydiningdivaVIPDined on 5/28/2014The ambiance is great, service is good, musical entertainment wonderful, but the food--an enormous disappointment. Bix is known for its terrific beef tartare, so we were looking forward to it. It is prepared table side and looked delicious. Unfortunately, it was underseasoned. But, it was the best dish of the night. The bavette steak, lobster spaghetti and cheeseburger were all underseasoned and looked and tasted like they had been sitting around too long. My friend equated it to first class airline food. The burger was so dry, it was inedible. I feel bad disssing a restaurant like this, but we were out $300 for a really poor meal.Special Features:
- GemThunderDined on 5/24/2014The location itself is jewel. Great good. Great service. Great music in the background. Bar area a little tight when crowded but you can get over that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ClassicJakeVIPDined on 5/23/2014A room that transports you back to the '40's and even earlier the day of the speakeasy. Live jazz, incredibly good food in a perfect setting. The perfect romantic evening. If I have one criticism, no place to dance. It's like living in a dream.Special Features:
- feels like a classic 1920's placeBarbhmVIPDined on 5/23/2014The decor of Bix is classic--cool bar, nice banquette seating upstairs and soft lighting reminiscent of an earlier era. The menu selection offers a good variety and the food is good. I go for the ambiance, decor and great truffle fries.Special Features:
- Bix was not what I anticipatedFoodsmythingDined on 5/20/2014I found the food so so at Bix. The steak tartare was very good, the dungeness crab was a square of bread with a minute dollop of crab. You could barely taste the crab. The chicken bites were overly breaded and spiced. The main courses were good, not great. The steak arrived ice cold. The chicken resembled a frozen chicken croquette. Though the servers were quite friendly they were very pushy and rushing us. The appetizers were all thrown at us at once, as if they were anxious to get us out of there. (We were a party of 5 celebrating my son's college graduation). They kept insisting we should put our dinner order in when we were not ready. We insisted on waiting based on the appetizer arrivals. Personally I was not impressed.
- Old School Setting Innnovative FoodModernistVIPDined on 5/17/2014Been wanting to go for years, glad we finally tried it and will be back!Special Features:
- Best dining experience overall!FinedineVIPDined on 5/15/2014Delicious food, excellent service, great atmosphere...my new favorite restaurant in SF!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey, noisy, darkdinerdeliteVIPDined on 5/15/2014I checked "yes" for recommendation, because it wasn't 'bad', but don't think we'll return anytime soon. Having said that, we did have pleasant service and a very nice piece of salmon for our meal.I would recommend this to a friend.