Jake's Del Mar
1660 Coast Blvd
Del Mar, CA 92014Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Jake's Del Mar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.jakesdelmar.com/
- Phone: 8587552002x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Saturday: 4:30pm - 9:30pm, Sunday: 4:30pm - 9:00pm; Sunday Brunch: 10:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Duvinh Ta
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Jake's Del Mar
Jake’s Del Mar brings new American cooking to the edge – to the water’s edge that is. Located right on the beach in Del Mar Chef Duvinh Ta uses fresh, seasonal products as the inspiration for updating classic preparations of fresh fish, shellfish and premium meats. The lunch, dinner, and Sunday brunch menus showcase clean, eclectic flavors and local, sustainable products that are complemented by Jake’s jaw dropping location on the sand. The nightly Chef’s Special is a seasonal creation that features the best seafood, meats and produce available and through the Legacy of Aloha program, Jake’s donates a portion the proceeds from the Chef’s Special to the San Diego Food Bank.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Jake's Del Mar - Best Restaurants in Del Mar ›
Jake's Del Mar reviews from OpenTable diners
443 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (393)special occasion (262)romantic (182)great for lunch (155)fit for foodies (125)neighborhood gem (122)great for brunch (115)great for outdoor dining (104)hot spot (101)vibrant bar scene (100)good for groups (83)notable wine list (53)kid-friendly (38)late-night find (24)Show More
- As always...excellent!SanDiegoDined on 8/9/2014I love Jake's for the simple reason that they are predictable - you're going to always get great food, great service, and have a great meal with THE best scenery on the West Coast! Thank you for making my friend's birthday so memorable! The birthday card was a nice surprise and such a nice touch to the evening!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/9/2014The menu has changed and they have discontinued my favorite dish, our waiter suggested new dishes that will become favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointed!DressagedivaDined on 8/8/2014Jake's is our go-to place for out of town guests. Great menu options, very good service, and ocean view from all tables.Special Features:
- OceanviewDined on 8/8/2014Birthday lunch with friends. We needed to read the wine list before ordering. We asked for a minute and our waitress never came back for 10-15 minutes. Another server stepped in guessing we wanted to order wine. Very slow bar service. Had salmon salad , very small piece of salmon, did not care for the grits. Rolls were too doughy. Very generous mud pie was served as a birthday gift from Jakes. Good ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Birthday Dining ExperienceZubieDined on 8/7/2014Took my wife and daughter to Jake's for a birthday dinner for my wife. We all had a great time! Good food, great view, and our server was very friendly. Jake's even threw in a complimentary desert for the birthday girl that was large enough for all three of us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/7/2014The food and waiter were incredible. The valet staff was awful. They were so rude and the valet was full. This was very frusterating because we had to go and find parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our three most favoriteTalon38Dined on 8/7/2014Mama's in Maui, Uchi and Uchiko in Austin, and Jake's in Del Mar are our big three. Located on the beach usually with surfers and a great sunset spot make it ideal. Add to that superb food--like the other two we've never less than a wonderful experience there. Great staff tuned to take care of you and make substitutions without hassle or even have several appetizers as a main course. They recently changed their menu removing my beloved brazed ribs and seafood tree, but have added many replacement items. I had the rib appetizer and seafood gumbo, both great! My wife had the fish special and loved it. We tried to avoid dessert but the carrot cake/ginger dessert was split and was terrific.Special Features:
- Great lunch place on the beachnotlobDined on 8/7/2014Good food and attentive staff. Book to be sure to get a table with the best view, although all tables have a view of the sea. Recent menu changes and upgrade of the facilities very welcome to those of us who visit quite often. Good fish options for non- meat eaters like me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a Great StopOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/3/2014Hit Jake's Sunday after a Padres' game and enjoyed a cocktail at the bar, followed by 2 terrific appetizers at a table with a view. Anytime we're close, we stop by, especially at sunset.Special Features:
- suziDined on 8/3/2014Great appetizers! Expensive entrees. Great service and very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't beat the view!!GourmetdinerVIPDined on 8/3/2014But the food is just as good. The lemon ricotta pancakes are fabulous! Nice touch with the lemon curd. Must have a reservation for bruch. Great views of the beach andSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!!!AnonymousVIPDined on 8/3/2014From outstandingly friendly service, delicious food, great ambiance, this is our new favorite restaurant in del Mar. We will definitely be back!!! Thank you for a wonderful dining experience!!!Special Features:
- Out of the way but worth itdinner4twoDined on 8/2/2014The valet parking started off the evening with a touch of class. The wait staff was very courteous and friendly. They were attentive without being intrusive. The food was served at a pace that allowed us to enjoy our meal without being rushed or feeling like we were waiting to long and it tasted excellent.Special Features:
- We greatly enjoy Jake'sbfjetsetterVIPDined on 8/2/2014We took 2 guests who were there for the first time. They loved the food, the view and the service we received, just as we do. We had a dinner reservation, but due to the distance from our home (40 miles) inclement weather and really awful traffic, we were late for our reservation on a Saturday night. We did call twice to let them know what was going on and assure them we were still coming. To my amazement, we were seated in a booth right away. Our server appeared at our table very quickly for drink and appetizer orders, then later helped us select our meals and took our orders. Our meals were served in a very reasonable time, despite how busy they were and each was hot and really good. Kudos to the house for a fine staff.Special Features:
- Always enjoy JakesSabrejetDined on 8/2/2014We usually dine at Jakes for special occasions such as birthdays and entertain out of town friends. We are never dissappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great view good foodMRLDGVIPDined on 8/2/2014Average food and service. Great view of ocean the main reason to go. Food was presented properly just not vey exciting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never failsOpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 8/1/2014Love this place, great ambiance, mixed with great company. View is awesome, this time the waiter not terribly social, but didn't ruin the experience. REALLY good food.Special Features:
- Jake's Del MarJakesDined on 7/31/2014We went to Jake's to celebrate our son 's 30th birthday and our daughter-in-laws birthday as well. The setting was beautiful. You can't beat an open air restaurant on the beach!Special Features:
- lshawDined on 7/31/2014Had a great time. The service was excellent and the food prepared perfectly. Definitely would go back againSpecial Features:
- Fresh seafood with a viewmjaye1Dined on 7/31/2014Fresh seafood, simple but innovating recipes and perfectly prepared. It was just what I was looking for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MY NEW FAVORITE RESTAURANTOCBevDined on 7/30/2014Amazed at the breathtaking view and open window right on the beach! The food was delicious and the menu had great selections. Our waiter was terrific. Simply loved it.Special Features:
- Great dinnerjayzwayDined on 7/29/2014Jake's did a great job making us feel special for our wedding anniversary. All the staff congratulated us and there was a card on the table. They also gave us a wonderful dessert. The view is spectacular as the restaurant is on the beach. The food was wonderful.Special Features:
- MichaelDined on 7/28/2014Very disappointed in our dinner. We eat at Jake's a few times a year and the menu has changed and not for the better. Selections have always been limited but now certain appetizers have been eliminated and the only thing you can now count on is the bread and butter. Sorry to say this will be our last time there. It also looks like a total turn over in waiters and that's not a good thing.Special Features:
- My favorite when in Del MarNecyclistDined on 7/27/2014Great food, service, and atmosphere with a spectacular ocean view.Special Features:
- Top Notch ServiceKimbreDined on 7/27/2014We arrived at brunch soaking wet after the torrential and unexpected downpour on Sunday and the staff was gracious, courteous, and helpful in getting us to our table much earlier than our reservation time. Our waiter provided exceptional service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for an evening outSuzaDined on 7/26/2014Jake's is a great place for an evening out. The staff was very friendly. Everything we order was delicious. If you book an early enough reservation you can catch the sunset as you stroll along the beach.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Change is not always goodlov3mysonsDined on 7/26/2014We have been coming to Jake's for over 25 years. The menu has changed so much in the past couple of years that it is almost unrecognizable from the past. All our favorites are gone. If you are a tourist looking for good food on the beach and don't mind paying inflated prices, this place is for you. If you are a local that hasn't been here for a while, you might be disappointed. We were.Special Features:
- Love this local spot!LaPetiteParisienneDined on 7/26/2014Jake's is always my choice when friends come in town or when wanting a guaranteed good meal. I love the open face lobster sandwich with candied bacon...so good and just enough food! Do not hesitate to make a reservation because you will need one!Special Features:
- The place to be in Del MarPc4369Dined on 7/25/2014Wonderful food, great service by our waiter Erick and super ambience and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisappointedYummyDined on 7/24/2014Eventhough I don't live in San Diego I have been dining at Jake's ever since they opened. Jake's menu and decor has always been fantastic and I look forward to me next dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a FavoriteDLSmithDined on 7/24/2014We had gone to Jake's regularly when we lived in San Diego and enjoy going back when we can. This was a 94th birthday celebration and they did a very nice job for us - especially the hula pie! Our aunt and cousin had never visited before and came away impressed. Beautiful evening made the occasion that much nicer.Special Features:
- lunchhoneyfitzDined on 7/24/2014Lunch, as usual, was delicious. Service was outstanding. My guest and I ate every bite & shared a delicious dessert. we will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great waiter and food was awesomeLuvJakesForeverDined on 7/23/2014Daniel our waiter was great! The dinner specials were amazing! The drinks from the bar were very good. The attention to detail with our special day was a nice touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too Much Attitude--Not FriendlyDININGDIVA2VIPDined on 7/21/2014We are locals who have dined at Jake's for many years. When someone from out of town wants to dine at a place with an ocean view, we always think of Jakes. This last visit (on a non race day), has us considering another place to take our guests. We had an OT reservation and told the hostess that we were a bit early. She said that our booth was ready for us, BUT she couldn't seat us until everyone in our party (one more person) was here. We waited for a bit in the lobby and got a text that our friend was stuck in traffic. We tried again to get seated and she said NO. We asked to speak to a manager. No manager, but we did get seated. It seems that their policy is more important than their customers. Perhaps they need to reconsider this.
- Beautiful but just ok.KtgallagDined on 7/20/2014We really enjoyed the ambiance though lots of cougars at the bar. It was slammed by 5pm and parking in Del Mar can be a bit of a hassle. Valet is convenient. The seafood dishes were prepared perfectly but the sides were lack luster which brought things down as a whole. Would visit again for drinks and apps.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch at Jake's Del MarBrunchDined on 7/20/2014Brunch before Del Mar Race Track. Excellent Location and Patio has wonderful view of Beach. Great menu choice for Brunch off a designed menu. I had the Lobster Omalett with Red Eye gravy. side of Jake's Sausage and whole grain toast. Service was excellent and food quality superb. Start with a Powerhouse Bloody and Ice Tea instead of coffee. It was my wife's b-day and she is very critical of restaurants. She was very impressed. I could go back every weekend. *****Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never FailsCheesecakeDined on 7/19/2014It's been quite some time since we last dined at Jakes - at least 2 years because we live in AZ. Jake's never fails to please. It was our 35th wedding anniversary and we fully enjoyed the entire evening. We were not rushed and enjoyed a leisurely pace, which we prefer. We look forward to our next dining experience at Jakes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently impressed with Jake's!ORgalDined on 7/19/2014We have gone to Jake's during our annual San Diego weekend for three years. Each time I have found them to be welcoming when we walk in the door, quick in getting us seated (considering how busy it can get), service above par and food classic yet creative. Recently, they have been updating the interior design and decor and it has updated/modernized the space nicely while maintaining the breezy, beachy feel that we love. When we visited this weekend, I noticed the staff working like a well-oiled machine, with others stepping in to assist us when our waiter was busy elsewhere and the staff looking during their interactions like they genuinely enjoy being there. Good for date night and families.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfect dinnerloveSoCalVIPDined on 7/19/2014We loved the view of the ocean and the outside dining area. Service was great and food delicious. Definitely will return the next time we are visiting the area.Special Features:
- Wonderful Food and Service80thBirthdayDined on 7/18/2014The entrees, the complements, the tastes and flavors were ALL amazing and the service was outstanding. Staying away from Del Mar for 60 years was too long, but Jake's helped make up for lost time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.