Josephine's Modern American Bistro
503 N Humphreys Street
Flagstaff, AZ 86001Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Josephine's Modern American Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.josephinesrestaurant.com/description.html
- Phone: 928-779-3400
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thurday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm -9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southwest, American
- Executive Chef: Tony Cosentino
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Josephine's Modern American Bistro
The Cosentino’s firmly believe in creating an exceptional fine dining experience through utilization of the finest ingredients available. The term ‘modern American’ is meant to reflect freedom from ethnic constraints. The restaurant menu features ingredients and techniques from many different cultures. Chef Tony uses the finest cheeses available such as Maytag blue cheese, Tillamook cheddar and Reggiano. No hydrogenated oils or margarine are used on the premise, only extra virgin olive oil and real butter. Local seasonal and organic produce is utilized whenever available. The menu is frequently updated to showcase the best produce and seafood the season has to offer. This also serves to keep things fresh while allowing the chef room for creative freedom. The wine list is continuously added to, in order to complement the menu to the fullest. Josephine’s also features a full bar with excellent cocktails, martinis and an extensive beer list.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Josephine's Modern American Bistro - Best Restaurants in Flagstaff ›
Josephine's Modern American Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
89 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (59)neighborhood gem (57)special occasion (47)fit for foodies (44)romantic (39)notable wine list (20)great for brunch (18)great for lunch (12)good for groups (11)kid-friendly (6)hot spot (3)late-night find (3)scenic view (3)Show More
- Don't miss it!Rider59Dined on 12/31/2013Exceptional cuisine from appetizer to dessert! Probably the best filet mignon I've had. Perfect portions so one can enjoy each course without being overstuffed! Great wine list, although only a few selections available by the glass. Service excellent and attentive. The building itself is a historic home, so I didn't expect real modern digs, but the place could still use some updating. The dining room was a bit crowded with little space between tables. Bar area looked interesting but I didn't try it. I was there on NYE so the menu was limited and pricing was fixed, but reasonable for special occasion. Anyone who spends much time in Flagstaff should visit Josephine's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!GinmooreDined on 12/28/2013We really enjoyed our first experience at Josephines. We went for brunch and the food was tasty and well presented. The service was superb, atmosphere very pleasant, and really friendly staff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good place for a quiet gatheringLloydDined on 12/27/2013Needed a place for a small family reunion, and Josephine's was perfect. Excellent service, quiet, and interesting but not great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousNadiDined on 12/25/2013Service, food, place everithing was very good and it is Open on Chiristmas Eve and Chiristmas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall, Excellent, as usualDoobsterDined on 12/24/2013I have never been disappointed by Josephine's. The food and service was excellent, as usual. Only mild disappointment was that I ordered a 2009 Old Ghost Zin and they only had the 2010. Good wine, nonetheless; however, not as good as the 09 I've had in the past, and I was charged the 09 price. Not too big a deal, tho....I could have said something; however, I was busy entertaining visiting family and didn't want to make a stink over something that was unimportant at the time.....more concerned that the family enjoyed the great meal, and they certainly did. This is a great find and I enjoy bringing family and friends here when they visit us in Flagstaff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Christmas eve buffetFlagdinerDined on 12/24/2013Josephine's is a wonderful place for an intimate dining experience. Christmas Eve buffet made it a little difficult to capture that feeling. The restaurant is not really set up for a buffet type meal. There was an awkward buffet line and lots of people trying to navigate a narrow doorway leading to the flight of stairs to the second level. HOWEVER..... the food did not disappoint. The salmon and sweet potato dish was amazing. Perfectly cooked fish is hard to find in Flagstaff!! The baklava baked Brie was delicious, smooth and creamy. I will definitely go back to Josephine's , just maybe not for a buffet meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I was a skeptic upon findingTal12Dined on 12/23/2013I was a skeptic upon finding this restaurant, it was cute but it didn't seem like it would be amazing. I was wrong! My friends ordered a drink that the bar tender didn't know how to make, so he looked it up and made it perfectly. I started my course with a goat cheese, grapefruit, and candied pecan salad. It was DELICIOUS. I would have eaten a gigantic portion of this salad as an entire meal. For the main dish I had the bacon wrapped filet with garlic mashed potatoes which was cooked perfectly. I did not try any if the desert but the molten lava cake sounded exquisite. This place is definitely a bit expensive, be prepared to pay about 25 dollars alone for your entree. Our waiter was friendly and personable. I would definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a Favoritesdolly12Dined on 12/20/2013My husband and I have been going to Josephine's for years whenever we visit Flagstaff and want a special meal. The service is impeccable and the food is beyond delicious. Always an interesting special and they pay very close attention to making their pastas and risottos perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Blast To The PastGeoffDined on 12/13/2013If you want to spend a quiet evening with someone special this is the place. My wife fell in love with her first Manhattan drink and the Cesar Salad with white anchovies was outstanding. the Macaroni and Cheese with Shrimp (BIG Shrimp) was something we had never tasted before...a masterpiece to the taste. Not being a big salmon dinner lover I tried the salmon with cherry sauce. Wow, again another surprise that touched my outer limit taste buds. Service was perfect with no rushing at all by the waiter. We highly recommend this gem that is highly polished and suited as a five star.Special Features:
- Why did we wait?scottiecraigDined on 12/2/2013Always meant to get here, finally did, sorry we missed out on so many good meals by delaying. Lovely old house, multiple small dark-paneled rooms, quiet and intimate. Champagne vinaigrette salad with grapefruit particularly good, my lamb chops, a special, served over sweet potatoes with molasses bacon glaze was a great preparation. My husband thought that the fried calamari app with buttermilk cornmeal crust was good but not epic, but that the Scottish salmon with cranberry citrus sauce was outstanding-he was so enthused he got prep details from the chef. Our apple crisp dessert with maple cinnamon ice cream was one of the best ever-sticky and rich but also refreshing. Meal total with one glass of wine was just over $80, excellent value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic brunch!mhschultzDined on 11/30/2013If you want a nice weekend brunch, Josephine's is where to go. It has a lovely and unique brunch menu. The restaurant is in a historic Flagstaff house and for cold winter days, they will have fires going. The service is always fantastic and the waiters attentive. Josephine's will always be one of my very favorites!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great thanksgiving buffethappydinerDined on 11/28/2013We enjoyed a terrific Thanksgiving Day buffet. All of the food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time dining hereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/28/2013My son has lived in Flagstaff over three years. All of us had never eaten out here before. Beautiful historic bungalow. Great food and we sat right next to the fireplace on Thanksgiving Day. The food was great. We especially liked the delicious yams and turkey as well as the very tasty pumpkin bread pudding for desert. We could not have asked for a nicer day seeing also that we were in from out of town visiting our son. Many thanks. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Find!!LisaBFVIPDined on 11/27/2013My family has been coming to Flagstaff, AZ for over 25 years at Thanksgiving time. Typically we don't dine out.... this year we did, and we're we ever pleased! Josephine's is like dining in your Grandmother's old beautiful home, and enjoying a wonderfully current and excellent selection of simply yet exquisitely prepared food!! Crab cakes were fabulous, salads were fresh and the steaks and lamb chops were delectable. We'll be back!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for special occasionJimmyVDined on 11/25/2013We love going to Josephine’s for Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch or Dinner. There is a large patio in the front for good weather in the summertime. We love riding our tandem bike here in the summer for Brunch. It’s a great place for special occasions like Birthdays, Fathers day, Mothers day and Anniversary’s. Father’s day and Mothers day they have a buffet style with one price. All the food is wonderful. I have my favorites but haven’t been disappointed with anything I’ve eaten here. The place has a couple of large rooms upstairs for larger parties. The service is always great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Makes a good impressionTiggerDined on 11/21/2013I was asked to select a restaurant for a meeting with the Western Regional Sales Manager for a major national construction materials supplier. I wanted to make a good impression upon someone who had traveled from Los Angeles to Flagstaff... but also conveyed the charm of Flagstaff/Northern Arizona. Josephine's hit the mark! The Salmon BLT was well liked by my visitor, who was surprised to find good seafood in a mountain town! Thank you Josephine's for making a good impression! I will keep your restaurant in mind for future meetings!I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Sunday brunch at Josephine'sboboDined on 11/10/2013Have dined here multiple times. The experience holds up to brunch as well. Service was great. Kids were well taken care of. Food was very good. All three adults had variations on Benedict. All very good, and the Hollandaise was fantastic. Perfect poach on the eggs. Really could not ask more.Special Features:
- Special Birthday DinnermcbrecycleDined on 10/26/2013Going into the restaurant was a bit weird: we walked in the door and 3-4 staff members just looked at us like we weren't supposed to be there. We were seated first at a cold table next to a really noisy guy but they quickly moved us next to the fireplace and turned it on for us: that was nice. They came by with menus pretty quick. The menus seemed to be overly wordy about food that is trying to be "foodie" when its really not: I had the pork OssoBuco and it was mediocre at best: very dry and full of bones. The polenta that came with it was amazing! Ehn: its a bit fru-fru and over-priced for no apparent reason. The chocolate-bourbon-pecan pie with fresh made vanilla-bean ice cream was to DIE for. I should have eaten dessert first.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had never been to FlagstaffStrangerDined on 10/26/2013We had never been to Flagstaff and didn't know where to dine, so we checked with IDine and ended up in this totally delightful period place. Food, service and ambience all fun, as is the many-roomed house in which they are served.. We highly recommend it!Special Features:
- Always GreatMarshaDined on 10/12/2013We have been to Josephine's on many occaisions and always when we are in Flagstaff. The food is excellent and we have never been dissapointed. We have sat inside on several occiasions but there is nothing better than Sunday brunch on the porch or outside garden table. We weould recommend this to anyone for any occaision.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular Flagstaff Restaurant!!!LuvFineDiningVIPDined on 10/6/2013Fine dining at its best -- Chef Tony has an amazing, creative menu that draws inspiration from a unique blend of locations and flavors (from Southwestern to Mediterranean to traditional breakfast favorites like blueberry pancakes)! We especially loved their weekend brunch (available both Saturday and Sunday). The building, over a century old, has spectacular charm and is listed on the national historic register. As soon as you walk in the door, you are treated like family, from the warm greeting to the unerringly good service. Locals must clearly be familiar with this gem, but if you happen to be visiting Flagstaff and enjoy dining in upscale restaurants, you should make it a point to try Josephine's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday BrunchFlagstaffvisitorDined on 10/6/2013We visiting Josephines on a recommendation and were very happy we did. We enjoyed the unique selections for Sunday brunch. The service was very attentive, but not intrusive. Our meals were delivered hot and the fruit on the side was very fresh. If you like bloody Mary's, you'll love them here!Special Features:
- chocolate martinigoodnhungryDined on 10/4/2013Delicious! Had it for dessert. Also shared a dessert with icecream. Food Good presentation and nice ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our family was together inmindeeDined on 10/3/2013Our family was together in Flagstaff for a reunion - I had made a reservation at Josephine's after looking at restaurants in Flag online. Everyone enjoyed their meals immensely! It was a great, picturesque, place and I would recommend the restaurant highly!Special Features:
- Neat Old HouseLetsEatVIPDined on 9/30/2013It was a very good meal, but not quite great. We had put a note on our reservation about it being a birthday celebration, but there was never a mention nor a Happy Birthday. There are no do overs when you are traveling from out of town. At first they were going to put us at a tiny table facing the corner and very close to a group of 4, even though there were very few people in the restaurant, however, they were responsive to our request for a different table, and it all worked out. Enjoyed the old home atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Should have found this place soonerPiccDined on 9/28/2013Residents of the Valley for 20 years, we travel through and to Flagstaff often for hiking and travel. Yet we never took the time to stop at Josephine's. . . now it will be a must stop place for dining for ourselves, and suggestions for our friends! Deserves a top spot on the Flagstaff dining options list for it's top notch food, fine service, and beautiful charming building.Special Features:
- Always a Little DisorganizedRbadgleyVIPDined on 9/27/2013Very good food, great wine list. This night was a little too noisy due to one group with very loud voices, normally not so bad. Waiter pretty good but not 5 star about little things such as pouring wine (we had to pour our own). Good place don't pass up.Special Features:
- Great place every time.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/20/2013We have eaten here many times for lunch and dinner and the food/service/etc is consistently good every time!Special Features:
- Perfect neighborhood spotMikeytodVIPDined on 9/19/2013Loved eating outside on the patio and even though it sits on a residental street there is very little traffic and enjoyable. The food was outstanding and we will be returning on our next trip to Flagstaff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Josephine's ... an annual traditionMoi2Dined on 9/15/2013Friends & I have visited Flagstaff's Pickin' in the Pines for the last three years. On our first adventure, we looked for a restaurant I'd seen reviewed and happened by it ... what a joy! We've been back each year since for a lovely brunch, enjoying fab cuisine, lovely live entertainment provided by Vincent Z, and yet another year of grand memories.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice way to spend a SaturdayScottsdaleVIPDined on 9/14/2013Unusual to have a brunch menu on Saturday. Very delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GLAD WE GAVE IT ANOTHER TRYSECONDCHANCEDined on 9/11/2013my husband and I dined here for the first time back in march of 2013 for his bday, and we were not impressed, so we said we wouldn't go back, but in the past we have had bad first experiences at restaurants and gave them a second chance and they ended up being our favorite places, so that what we decided to do at josephines, but this time we tried lunch, and im glad we did, we sat outside, weather was perfect, our server Colby was great, the food was great, this is more of a spot for lunch than dinner, I had the fresh roasted turkey sandwich with a fried green tomato , I could of ate 2 of those it was that good, so if you want great wine, a nice quiet atmosphere and excellent food, try this placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExceptionalBendersDined on 9/10/2013The three of us had a perfect meal! Everything from the apps. thru desert was exceptional!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Keeps getting betterOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/7/2013We've lived in Flagstaff for six years and feel that Josephine's has continued to refine it's menu.Special Features:
- Beautiful, romantic brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/1/2013Wonderful food; attentive service. We had a wonderful brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs improvementOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/30/2013Nice place....good outdoor dining.... food just ok, not up to gourmet standardsSpecial Features:
- Josephine's for dinnerFoodieDined on 8/26/2013It seemed like the elements of the dishes were thrown together without checking if they complimented each other. In the case of my entree, they did not. Also, calamari overcooked. Expensive and I could easily do better at home.
- Started with shrimp bisque,carefreeDined on 8/26/2013Started with shrimp bisque, which was very good. My wife enjoyed the Caprice salad, which was different than most, with crumbled cheese and mixed greens with the tomatoes and a very nice dressing. The hickory smoked chicken was excellent and my wife's crab cakes were good, but quite thin. We finished with home made ice cream, but found. it full of ice crystals as if it had been defrosted and refrozen. We could not have been more pleased with the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- quite Tuesday eveningOpenMouthVIPDined on 8/13/2013We both had the bacon wrapped lamb specials and the lamb was fabulous. Very clean, fresh and strangely not lambly at all....I like the taste of lamb but this was so well prepared, very rare, with the smoked bacon flavor....very easy to eat. Good wine advice from our server, try a glass of the Shug Cab. The champagne salads were mediocre, too much dressing which is a big trend everywhere we eat over the past few months. I will order all salad dressings on the side as folks just don't get that more is less.....oh, the bread pudding was a bit underwhelming, kinda dry, may be good on a cool morning with coffee, but after the lamb it was a let down.Special Features:
- Awesome Ambience!SRLOVE2LOVEDined on 8/10/2013I highly recommend Josephine's for Saturday or Sunday Brunch. They have an extensive menu and wonderful brunch bellini's and sangria! The outdoor space is extra charming and lush. The service is spot on. You won't be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.