Josephine's Modern American Bistro
503 N Humphreys Street
Flagstaff, AZ 86001Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Josephine's Modern American Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.josephinesrestaurant.com/description.html
- Phone: 928-779-3400
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thurday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm -9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southwest, American
- Executive Chef: Tony Cosentino
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Josephine's Modern American Bistro
The Cosentino’s firmly believe in creating an exceptional fine dining experience through utilization of the finest ingredients available. The term ‘modern American’ is meant to reflect freedom from ethnic constraints. The restaurant menu features ingredients and techniques from many different cultures. Chef Tony uses the finest cheeses available such as Maytag blue cheese, Tillamook cheddar and Reggiano. No hydrogenated oils or margarine are used on the premise, only extra virgin olive oil and real butter. Local seasonal and organic produce is utilized whenever available. The menu is frequently updated to showcase the best produce and seafood the season has to offer. This also serves to keep things fresh while allowing the chef room for creative freedom. The wine list is continuously added to, in order to complement the menu to the fullest. Josephine’s also features a full bar with excellent cocktails, martinis and an extensive beer list.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Josephine's Modern American Bistro - Best Restaurants in Flagstaff ›
Josephine's Modern American Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
92 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (58)great for outdoor dining (58)special occasion (49)fit for foodies (45)romantic (41)notable wine list (20)great for brunch (19)great for lunch (13)good for groups (12)kid-friendly (7)hot spot (3)late-night find (3)scenic view (3)Show More
- took friends - they loved itjeannieDined on 6/28/2014Our friends were visiting from Phoenix and we took them to Josephine's. Food and service were great - we ate outside, and they could keep their pooch at the table with us! Go! You'll love it.Special Features:
- Josephine gets better every year..Flagstaff434Dined on 6/21/2014We've been coming to Josephine's every Summer since it opened. Our meal on Saturday was by far the best yet. I had the best Ceaser salad I have ever had. Ambiance is belly to belly old house, but the food erases that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5 star service5starDined on 6/15/2014I'm a newly transplanted Californian so I'm used to good food. I don't know the restaurant scene here so I depended on Open Table's recommendation. The Ambience, food and service at Josephines was wonderful. I was completely surprised at the crab cakes I ordered. They were good! And here I thought no one in Arizona could cook good crab cakes. I'm glad I took a chance and ordered them. Thank you Josephines and Open Table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Father's Day BrunchJareDined on 6/15/2014Couldn't have experienced a better Father's Day! Thank youSpecial Features:
- A Great ExperienceWineNDineDined on 6/12/2014I took my girlfriend to Josephines for our anniversary, & I couldn't be happier with any other place. Service was great; our waiter, Anthony, was knowledgeable and friendly. The food was incredibly good, but not quite 5 star. the wine list was extensive, but they do have suggestions for pairing with your on face. I chose what was recommended, and it was perfect for my meal. I will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bob BrvbruceDined on 6/10/2014Very enjoyable dinner. Flank steak was outstanding. Baked Brie appetizer with honey glaze was excellent. Good service staff. Nice environment.Special Features:
- Good spot in FlagstaffAZEaterDined on 6/8/2014This is a good choice if you are looking for a more upscale restaurant in Flagstaff. There are not many, so this one qualifies as a top 3-4. Our server was really good, very attentive. The food is good, maybe really good, and the wine list, although a bit on the high side $$$ for Flagstaff, offers a fairly wide choice. I would say that if you want a Flagstaff finer dining experience, you should try this restaurant, I do not believe you will be disapointed. Desert menu is awsome as well. Will definitely go back again.Special Features:
- Flagstaff GemjhoganazDined on 6/8/2014We are from Scottsdale and when we are in Flagstaff, several times a year, we always stop at Josephine's for a meal. The food is fresh, natural, and exceptionally prepared. It is exceptional to find food that is healthy and yet with outstanding flavour. They also have a quality wine selection. It is not necessarily labels that we recognize, but the staff is knowledgeable and we find the quality is unique. Keep up the quality in the kitchen.Special Features:
- Always greatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/6/2014We have been to Josephine's several times for brunch, but this was the first time for dinner. The food was delicious and the service was impeccable. We will always return to Josephine's when we visit Flagstaff.Special Features:
- AwesomeladybugDined on 5/24/2014Food, service and price great. Fried green tomatoes remind you of the movie with the same title. Fantastic! Been there for lunch and dinner and not disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 403 reviews are from the Josephine's Modern American Bistro reviews archive.
- Awesome find with amazing foodTexasgirl1Dined on 5/21/2014Our fourth time to eat there. Food choices are amazing. Salads, entrees and desserts are amazing. You can't go wrong. Waitstaff is always friendly and welcoming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent SeafoodRandoDined on 5/17/2014I had the Blackend Marlin with a cilantro rice. It was just divine. I will be coming back for future special occasions.Special Features:
- Josephine's flys a five-star flagEdSoxDined on 5/15/2014In a city where even pretty decent restaurants are hard to find Josephine's is really in a class by itself. There is a pretender, maybe two in town, but don't be fooled. In Flagstaff if one is looking for a five-star (OpenTable's rating) dining experience it has to be Josephine's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High traffic weekendsLuckyinFlagstaffDined on 5/9/2014Graduation weekend is not the best time to go the staff is tired and forgetful. We have been here several times before on just regular days and the food has been wonderful, sadly for our graduation dinner it was not up to its usual standards.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Graduation CelebrationCOTravelerDined on 5/9/2014We had a wonderful graduation dinner for our son at this restaurant. We were upstairs in a small room that had one other table, and they didn't arrive until we were almost done so it felt like a private dining room. But even if they were there, the setting was very intimate and special. Our service was impeccable, and all 6 of us enjoyed our meals. It was a perfect choice fro our very special occasion!Special Features:
- dollarsnsenseDollarsnsenseDined on 5/9/2014Very nice atmosphere and friendly service. Very busy so service was affected. Appetizers were excellent. The wedding relleno was disappointing as the scallops were fingernail size and only 5. 2 medium shrimp, but not enough total seafood to make more than about 2oz. Left hungry.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/8/2014We went for both dinner and brunch to celebrate graduation. Both times did not disappoint. Sunday brunch was a large group among many others and the place kept a great pace, service was impeccable - Colby is a rock star! Dedication to presentation and flavor was spot on. The setting is intimate enough yet friendly. The owners have done something really special and it shows. A true work of love in every plate and pour!Special Features:
- Much better than it looksJHP10NaplesVIPDined on 5/3/2014An old house in a nondescript neighborhood with average interior appearance which has outstanding food, wine and service, and all at very reasonable prices. If we are ever in Flagstaff again, we shall return to Joshephine's.Special Features:
- We're not coming backBirthdayfunDined on 5/2/2014Our server was unprofessional, the food was below average and extremely pricey. Overall just not a good experience.
- Quaint, romantic restaurantCatSDined on 4/26/2014I have had many lunches and dinners here and this place is perfect for a work lunch with colleagues as well as a romantic dinner with your spouse. The old house feel of this place makes one try to envision what life was like when this actually was a home. The food is high quality, interesting and the ambiance is remarkable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never A Bad MealRosmicVIPDined on 4/24/2014Josephine's has never let us down; very good food and very good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/20/2014The only problem w/ the Easter Brunch was that there needed to be a couple more bussers that were responsible for refilling coffee/water. Since everyone got their own food, it would have been MUCH nicer if we didn't have to ask repeatedly for more water/coffee. If the waiters had had someone who was ONLY refilling beverages, they wouldn't have been tripping over customers & spilling water (sometimes hot) on their tables (very close to customers!). I think the waiters would have enjoyed their patrons more if they didn't have to take care of refills, too. They were kind of running around like maniacs! Otherwise, the food was EXCELLENT and when trays of food were only partially empty, they were replaced. That makes for happy consumers!Special Features:
- A little chaotic, but still fineRoadWarriorAZVIPDined on 4/20/2014I've gone to this restaurant many many times, but the service today seemed really chaotic. Both the service and kitchen staffs seemed overwhelmed by the number of people they were serving for Easter buffet. Food itself was fine, but since I've had it before, I know that it's better in a non-buffet form. I'll still go back, but probably not for a holiday buffet.Special Features:
- Super MealLuv2EatDined on 4/7/2014We went for wife's BD. Wanted a restaurant that served great food and this lived up to our expectations. Great wine list, supper server. They even met my special request for a flower on the table, a gorgeous lily and two smaller flowers. I knew our table when we walked in because it was the only one with flowers on it! We had the special "love" dinner... 3 courses for $25. The food was great, and we could tell it was all house made. I had the eggplant parm and the sauce was a great house made chunky tomato. No can or jar sauce here. Wife had Chicken Saltamboca (we both might have gotten that!) and it was superb. Appetizers and dessert were just as good. If you have the chance, go to Josephine's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunch!eertaladiesDined on 4/5/2014This was our first trip to Flagstaff and we were very pleased with brunch at Josephine's. The service was good and the food very tasty. It was a nicely varied menu for brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite spot in FlagstaffPeachesDined on 4/3/2014Our favorite restaurant in Flagstaff. And actually, one of our all time favorites. I have enjoyed every meal and never miss the opportunity to grab dinner when visiting Flagstaff. I actually have never eaten outside, but would imagine a very pleasant spot. The restaurant is located in an old house, so there are a few less desirable tables. I would also ask to be seated on the 1st floor (vs upstairs). It is a few blocks from downtown, but I still think it is worth the walk or drive. I will definitely be back. And I am still dreaming about my eggplant parmesan.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Flagstaff GemannabelleDined on 3/29/2014We plan our trips to the Colorado Plateau around this restaurant - going and returning. We've done that for our last 3 trips over five years time and have never been disappointed. The ambiance and food are just wonderful. We'll be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cute and great food!FoodieFanaticDined on 3/27/2014This was a quick stop on our drive to the Grand Canyon. We were very impressed! We say near the fire place and the ambiance was the perfect amount of romantic for a casual lunch. The food was awesome (try the Brie!) and our server was very helpful. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our Special Dinner RestaurantDeederDined on 3/22/2014We have never been disappointed in the menu. The service is outstanding. Josephine's is always a special dinner treat.Special Features:
- Exceptional serviceTonyGVIPDined on 3/22/2014Food as always great! The local love option is a sweet deal and makes us want to come back. And the server was fantastic, always there to fill up our water and pour our wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gem in FlagstaffOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/19/2014This restaurant is located in a historic-type house that is very appealing. Great staff, wonderful food. I had Shrimp Diabolo with a glass of Sauvignon Blanc that perfectly complimented the spicy sauce. Great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flagstaff FindEmmaDined on 3/14/2014Recommended to us by our resort personnel when we were visiting Flagstaff recently. Wish we had eaten there earlier as it would have been a spot worth returning to. Restaurant occupies a wonderful Arts and Crafts bungalow. Food was delicious, innovation and healthy. We had the "tasting menu" - ordered different foods so did a lot of tasting - all good, thanks to delicate sauces.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We went for my birthday dinner.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/10/2014We went for my birthday dinner. While the food was very good, it was not amazing. My molten chocolate cake was over baked and not molten at all. Also, we were disappointed they did not offer anything special for birthdays, as many restaurants do. Over all it was a good dining experience for Flagstaff. I would go back and try Brunch, as the menu looked yummy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for Valentines DayOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/14/2014We went for Valentines Day dinner. Menu was great - service very good, would definitely go back again for special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tight rushed dinningvalentinesdayromanceDined on 2/14/2014The dining experience leaves much to be desired . The food was outstanding but the service was not the best.As we dined we felt rushed to get in and get out the waiter was there to remove our plates before we had finished with every corse and was not very nolagable of the wine list .He deffinatly did not know the difference between a good or a cheep gin.we asked for Hendricks and were served and awful gin that tasted like pinesol floor cleaner. when we polity explained to the waiter that the drink was not right he argued with us. The seating was very cramped and not so cozy and we found our selves trying to have a conversation over the other dinners as they sat so close that it was hard to have a quiet conversation.
- Kitchen off siteOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014Because of this, food is far too slow and entrees are sometimes cool/coldSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Whine about the wine listTonyGVIPDined on 1/18/2014My only real complaint is that the wine list is not updated. We have been here for a number of years and it seems like the wine list has not been updated for at least 2-3 years. When we dined here on Saturday, I requested 3 different bottles of wine before they had the 4th one. They don't seem to pay enough attention to this list, and wine lovers like me may not come back for special occasions if they don't fix this issue. Another minor complaint is that the server never came back to pour wine after his initial open.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bit of a Let-DownFlagnewbieDined on 1/18/2014When we made online reservations, we noted that it was my birthday. The hostess wished me a happy birthday, then she tried to seat us at a tiny little table by a busy doorway. We objected and were seated at a roomier table. Our waiter said he heard it was my birthday. He seemed competent, but our salads came before the appetizer -- very annoying. Our food was cooked to order, but we couldn't finish after rushing through the salad and appetizer. The waiter brought a container. He didn't take the plate away to box it up. I felt let down when, instead of a small sweet to share for my birthday, we were handed the dessert menu. We considered Josephine's our special place, but they did little to make the occasion special for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too pricy for what we gotOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/31/2013We used to love coming here for New Year's. it used to be more romantic, Less crowded per room. We won't be back. Tables were too close together. Felt like I was in a sardine can. Menu was over priced.
- Charming DiningCatAZDined on 12/31/2013Had a New Year's eve dinner with my husband last week and absolutely loved it. This old house is romantic, well cared for and the food is above average. Combine that with excellent service and it's a win. There are many rooms in this house that are about 10 x 12 feet and the only con is that they cram 12-15 people in each room. It can get rather noisy if there is a large crowd at a table but otherwise a top notch dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.