Chou Chou Bistro
400 Dewey Boulevard
San Francisco, CA 94116Neighborhood:
Forest Hill / West Portal
Contemporary FrenchPrice: $30 and under
Chou Chou Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.chouchoubistro.com/
- Phone: 4152420960
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Wednesday - Sunday 11:30 AM - 2:30 PM
Dinner: Tuesday-Sunday 5:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French, Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Michaels' team
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Sit down and enjoy yourself as our attractive staff work the dimly lit room, maneuvering tables, pushing aside dangling cylindrical lamps, and ensuring that well-heeled locals are having a grand old time.
- Private Party Contact: Event Coordinator 8777955444
- Entertainment: Pre-fix dinner @ $34.95 three courses
every day all night except on Friday and Saturday from 5:00 To 7:00 PM
- Special Events: TUESDAY & THURSDAY! FREE CORKAGE & No limit, bring all you can drink- champagne, red wine and white wine as well as dessert ones!
A word from Chou Chou Bistro
Chou Chou Bistro is a French Bistro with a Provencal feel. Homemade variety of chocolates and fruit tarts, along with seafood and meat. Chou Chou Bistro has a bright, colorful dining room with a casual yet chic bistro atmosphere.Continued
Make sure to find out our specials on a daily basis!
Make sure to find out our specials on a daily basis!
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Chou Chou Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
73 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (48)romantic (32)fit for foodies (31)special occasion (27)notable wine list (16)great for brunch (9)great for lunch (9)good for groups (8)kid-friendly (7)Show More
- Lovely Chef!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/25/2014I had always wanted to visit Chou Chou and was not disappointed. The menu has lovely seasonal offerings as well as classic French items like Mussels Mernieres and Escargots. Chef Michaels was amazing from the moment we arrived; even coming out of the kitchen to help us park! The food was lovely and the wine pairings suggested were excellent. They let my friend and I sit as long as we wanted and were attentive but not hovering. We were able to catch up, eat and drink (with even Chef pouring!) to our content. Definitely a neighborhood gem that no tourist will ever find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic French!StarryVIPDined on 4/18/2014I loved this place for two main reasons, amazing wine ($33 bottle of pinot noir) and the duck! Go for their prix fixe menu which they have Sunday through Thursday all night and Friday and Saturday from 5-7pm. Such a good deal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What happened?SweetBTVIPDined on 4/11/2014I have been a loyal Chou Chou fan since it opened. But this last visit was shocking. Food prices up to NY levels and quality marginally down. No longer a neighborhood bistro. Will never go back. So so so disappointed. Sad day. Bye bye Chou Chou.
- Highly Recommended. A Great Find!FrequentDinerDined on 4/4/2014I have been to this restaurant for many occasions ---- intimate liaisons, socializing with friends, special occasions. The food is tantalizing and memorable. The wine compliments the food. Service is superb. Parking is easy to find which makes the restaurant perfect for out-of-towners who find city parking a hassle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another outstanding dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/4/2014Another perfect dinner at "Chouchou" for my friend (Italian + francophile + gourmet et gourmand) and myself (from France)! All our dishes (Salade Composee, Salade d'endives, Scallops with Zucchini and Leak Fondue / Sauted Baby Artichokes / Angus Hanger Steak & Pommes Frites / Crepes Suzette) and wines were simply exquisite! Everything was perfectly cooked, with fresh ingredients, and full of flavor in every bite. In addition to being delicious, the food tasted like authentic French food to both of us. Our waiters were very attentive and very friendly. It was also wonderful to be able to speak French with them. Busy on a Friday evening but not loud. Another outstanding evening at "Chouchou"!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dining experience.ThorDined on 3/27/2014Wonderful dining experience. Best service I have had in years. Waiters are charming and wonderful. Did not care for the crab-avocado salad, but everything else was terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tres JolieSonomaBobDined on 3/25/2014Delightful dining experience. Good service. Mussels, Lamb chops, Onion soup, Creme Brulee, Pinot Noir, Sauvignon Blanc; Great way to spend ones 42nd wedding anniversary...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food; friendly staff;MTopDined on 3/22/2014good food; friendly staff; can get a little loud when crowdedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceFoodjazzDined on 3/22/2014Duck special was very good. The beef carpacio serving was extremely well done, asking my girlfriend her desired spice level. The server did a wonderful job. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Below par qualityOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/21/2014one of the most expensive bad dinner i've ever had, would not recommend this, sorry
- Crab SaladGuessVIPDined on 3/21/2014The Crab Salad is delicious if you like Crab & Avocado.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb cuisineLaurelVIPDined on 3/15/2014Dinners beautifully prepared & presented. Excellent menu choices. Great attention to detail and cooked and seasoned to perfection.Special Features:
- Past it's PrimeBTC415VIPDined on 3/15/2014Chou Chou used to be a great neighborhood reastaurant. When eating there recently, items listed on the menu were not avaialble (this at a 6:30 seating) and upon service there were issues with finding shells in the crab salad, quality of the meats in the main dishes andeven the desserts were either too flat or too sweet. Not worth the price.
- Excellent French Food in SunsetGuessVIPDined on 3/15/2014Excellent food & service. Good lunch menu choice with reasonably price (dinner menu items also available). Easy parking since they have a parking lot. Would be even more attractive if soufflé Grand Marnier is add to the desert menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food so so serviceAsianfoodtoluvVIPDined on 3/14/2014The food is good although the service in my last three visits have been mixed. The food is good but the restaurant is small and cramp, which make it somewhat unattractive. The tables are also small and it seems as if they are trying to get as much tables for customers, which makes it at times unappealing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth itSFDinerDined on 3/14/2014We used to love this gem but it was sold and has progressively gone downhill. The servers are untrained or if trained just bad and the food is simply ok. The "special" endive salad was absolutely terrible and had been chopped up a day or so before serving it. Likewise the "special" salmon was old and the over-drilled sauce couldn't hide that fact. The menu is pretty limited too. Maybe the next owners will improve All aspects of this place.
- escargotOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/13/2014It was my birthday, so me and my friend came here only for the escargot, being I never had it before. I loved the ambiance, and the choices the had for wine. Our server had a strong french accent which was nice to hear being at a french restaurant. I felt bad for this place because it was so nice that it had to be in a poor spot, you could break a leg leaving if the server did not help remind us to be very careful walking out the door. You want notice it walking in because it is easy to walk up hill.. haha however walking out a door about to go down hill is more interesting, bet even funner if I was tipsy. Any, I had a great Birthday thanks to the excellent service and colorful mood I had due to the ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a birthday celebrationEISFDined on 3/8/2014We had a birthday celebration here with a party of 12. They were very accommodating, including the special bottle of champagne that we brought. Food was outstanding except for one dish. Service was attentive and excellent, although they did make an error on one end of our large table. Prices are very reasonable for the quality and quantity of food served.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday LunchGuessVIPDined on 3/8/2014We had a wonderful time at this restaurant, the service is excellent, the bread was crispy & hot with butter, salad was very fresh, we especially like the pistachio nuts that come with the salad, the pork chop was very tender with a tasty sauce. Overall, every things are excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exquisite food. Excellent chef.LaurelVIPDined on 2/27/2014The meals by Chef Michael are among the best in San Francisco, deliciously prepared, and beautifully presented. Wait staff is professional, friendly, and knowledgeable. This charming bistro is a gem.Special Features:
- Fine French FareJoeBDined on 2/22/2014A nice find in the Sunset, with parking. Reasonably priced, excellent food, very friendly staff. Can't go wrong here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Used to be a regular, firstOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 2/22/2014Used to be a regular, first time back in several years. Different menu, but still very good food, service is friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service great Food especiallymaryDined on 2/22/2014Service great Food especially meat.. Filet mignon fairSpecial Features:
- Overpriced, unremarkableJuanPoeVIPDined on 2/22/2014The four of us had mixed takes on the food--from ok to really good. The service was slow and periodically disappeared. The tables are too close together. The ambient noise makes it hard to conduct conversation--the server had to repeat herself many times. Most of the restaurant is blasted by cold air when the entrance door opens. None of us was aching to go back.
- Valentine's Day Kitchen Nightmare!!geraldbythebayVIPDined on 2/14/2014Do not go here. Basically the service is terrible, ticket orders being mixed up or missing. Fillet mignon or any beef not fully cooked to order - always too raw. I Facebook how bad my experience was at this place. We got up and left after 2hrs. 9p: sat down- table neighbors warned us that the service is extremely slow and wait staff avoids eye contact with you. In order form to go to restroom, we had to move tables left and right to squeeze through. 9:30p: received our menu 10p: salad & bread 10:15p: appetizers 11p: entree - too raw: us and other patrons left. Valentines dinner is prefix at $65/pp plus automatic 18% gratuity. gratuity is a slap in the face for such bad service. Don't go there, so many more options in SF to choose from.
- 30 min to sit down. 1hr no foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2014Just like the title says. We arrived here 15 minutes early did not get to sit down until 45 minutes after we arrived. We did not receive food for 1 HOUR after ordering. They brought our food to the wrong table apparently. On top of all of this, we were packed in like sardines so that the guy sitting next to me was literally bumping elbows with me when he was cutting his steak. We overheard his wife complaining that her steak was inedible and 'still mooing'. For ~ $100 a person (after tax and gratuity) we expect better. We used to love this place, but the quality of service has dipped tremendously!
- Get ready to swallow a huge bill...wpattisonVIPDined on 2/14/2014Valentines - prix fixe menu, special night. I get that there will be a more higher price paid, but not like this. First of all, a $35 corkage? Not even Michelin starred places I've been to dared to go that high. The prix fixe was delicious, and at $70/pp, I would say the meal was outstanding for that price. I feel good about the value there. But then the added gratuity at 18% (for two people) was salt in the wound. Forced gratuity always kills me, because I default to 20%. But I suppose I have to live with being in the bucket with the rotten apples, since that's why it's done. On a two person tab with wine we're talking $236. Yowzers! Way over-priced for the total experience - a delayed one at that since the kitchen was backed up.Special Features:
- Hugely disappointingSavukaVIPDined on 2/14/2014I've been to Chouchou many times, and will be hard pressed to return after our recent experience. The food was unremarkable and overpriced, the wine selection was poor, and we had to wait far too long for our mediocre multicourse meals. Sad to see that what was once an iconic local restaurant has gone way downhill.
- Valentines Day DinnerAsianfoodtoluvVIPDined on 2/14/2014The evening started out slow. Service was slow and over whelmed with the crowd. It took a while to order as well as for our food. The food was good but for a special night as such, I was some what disappointed. Some people received roses as they left, which we did not get being that the hostess was too busy running around. Service suffered which made it fustrating. The price was also not cheap for the dinner which we expected more being valentines day. We even saw a couple leave. What a way to ruin ones night on valentine day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing Valentine's DinnerCaptainfoodieDined on 2/14/2014It may have been because of the special event, but there is really not an excuse for the poor quality of the evening. The atmosphere in the cramped upstairs was creepy and felt like a strange attic space that was temporarily converted to a dining room. The waitress must have been new to her career. She didn't know how to open a bottle of wine, didn't know the menu and didn't even allow me to taste the wine at the start of pouring. She couldn't keep track of where we were with dinner and asked us if we were ready to leave before they even served desert. The food was fair, nothing special to write home about. Over all a very disappointing night.Special Features:
- A great neighborhood restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/13/2014Chou Chou bistro had been recommended to me by a friend, so I took my fiancé there for a date. It's a really cute little neighborhood place, with a lovely ambience. Very romantic without being pretentious or anything. The food was really exceptional - better than I would have hoped for such a small place out of the way. The staff were friendly - the chef even came out of the kitchen to check on us. Will definitely go back. Reservations are recommended - there was maybe only 1 table available on the Thursday night we were there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chou Chou ThanksBillDined on 2/13/2014Good Service, friendly staff, great food, and the feeling that they were happy we were there. I will definitely be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great gifts come in small packagesByoung3rdDined on 2/12/2014Chou Chou is truly a gift to the City, a small wonderful French neighborhood bistro. We had a wonderful dinner for the four of us with excellent service and perfectly timed transitions from the appetizers through the wonderful desserts. We shared orders of the endive salad and one order of the escargot. I had the special for the night, duck breast sauteed, with a fig and fruit based sauce...perfect! My wife had the hanger steak and our guests had the scallops and the Filet de Boeuf. The desserts were wonderful. We had a wonderful Santenay 2008 with our main course and we finished with tawney port. I can't say enough about this restaurant...if you love French food and if you enjoy the ambience of a french bistro, this is the place for you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Despite the service being reportedpickeyVIPDined on 2/1/2014The service was very good, despite some of the negative feedback carried here. I had escargot that was terrible but other diners found the mussels to be excellent. My salad was good as was my entree (sole). I'll go back for a second visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tables were very close. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 1/31/2014Tables were very close. The waitstaff and chef were very helpful and tried very hard. They were busy and it took almost 15 min to get the menu and put in our order. They dropped and broke 3 plates/glasses. They probably had a bad night. I can imagine its a great resto in the neighborhood.Special Features:
- nice touch!francisDined on 1/30/2014chef came out to say hi to every table and make sure staffs are doing the right thing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- french bistrosofiaDined on 1/30/2014loved the onion soup, the hanger steak was so tender and cooked to perfection! will definitely return.Special Features:
- dine about...OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/29/2014My friends and i decided to check this place out after seeing their menu for Dine About Town. We made a reservation ,then the owner (Michael) comes up to us and ask if we have the confirmation number for the reservation bc their computer system is messed up. Ok... They were apologetic. The food was AMAZING!!! The bread was hot and fresh with the creamy butter. The mussels in the white wine sauce was soo tasty that i wanted to drink the broth up. The hanger steak was cooked to a perfect medium rare. And the lle flottante was like a little yummy cloud of goodness. Overall the food was amazing, the service was slow mostly because they were short staff . But the waiters and Michael were very friendly and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food ok; tables too closeDinerDined on 1/26/2014The food was just ok. The mussels were excellent, but everything else was a bit bland. We had the crab salad, the duck confit (also pretty good, but not fantastic) and the pork chop (ridiculously dry). The pork chop was barely edible it was so dry. But the service was good.
- Pleasant SurpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/26/2014Great little find......definiate neighborhood gem! We drove by this place for years and kept saying we should try it sometime. Well we finally did and we wished we would have much sooner. The food was delicious, service was wonderful and the portions were just right for us. Even enjoyed the wine selection they suggested. Will definitely go back actually thinking of this weekend, we enjoyed it so much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.